Learn What it means to "Eat Clean"

Options

Replies

• iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I'd love to see what meal plans and recipes you have! Also, is wheat bread considered clean? I'm thinking not, right? Are only natural foods (one ingredient) considered "clean". I'm sure I sound like a tool, but hey, it's an honest question. lol
    No. "Clean" doesn't mean one ingredient only. But I'd choose bread with a handful of pronounceable ingredients over Sara Lee fluffily bread like substance with 20 ingredients I can't pronounce.

Ezekiel is a good choice.

It's also pretty easy to make bread/rolls, especially if you have a bread maker. I make sweet breads in the oven (this week I made a great cinnamon carrot bread), and then loaves and rolls in my bread maker. We rarely eat loaf bread though, since my kid's prefer their school lunch sandwiches to be on rolls for some reason lol.

^^ Um. I don't think that means what you think it means. :smile:

Just had to google it lol. Yeah, in my family it means breads with fruit/nuts etc and not breads made wiith cow/lamb pancreas :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    Being that I competed in the 80's, I learned what it means to eat "clean". It basically meant restriction from foods I actually like and foods from my culture when prepping for a contest. I'm not willing to keep that type of restriction for life. I've basically kept the same physique (but not at single digits on bodyfat) eating basically anything I want, but meeting my macros/micros and being aware of calorie intake. If those that want to eat the way like it, more power to them, but saying by not eating clean that people won't achieve goals or feel like crap is subjective. There's also lots of broscience that the OP touts, so take it for what it's worth.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    Prepping for a contest (in the 80s no less) is a bit different. I've seen friends prep (in the 90s primarily). Eliminating cultural foods wouldn't be a goal of anyone I know who "eats clean". Foods that have been passed down from one's culture ARE typically minimally processed foods. If my family were of Mexican heritage, for example, why would I need to remove traditional Mexican foods to eat clean? I may decide not to eat the fast food version of those foods... but can't think of any traditional mexican food I'd need to dump. Unless I'm misunderstanding you...
    You'd have to see my cultural foods list. High sodium, fried, and dripping with saturated fats. And bodybuilding prepping hasn't changed much since the 80's. It's still basically high protein, low carb and no added salts, sugar, etc.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    Being that I competed in the 80's, I learned what it means to eat "clean". It basically meant restriction from foods I actually like and foods from my culture when prepping for a contest. I'm not willing to keep that type of restriction for life. I've basically kept the same physique (but not at single digits on bodyfat) eating basically anything I want, but meeting my macros/micros and being aware of calorie intake. If those that want to eat the way like it, more power to them, but saying by not eating clean that people won't achieve goals or feel like crap is subjective. There's also lots of broscience that the OP touts, so take it for what it's worth.

IDEA Fitness member

Now this is interesting to me. What changes did you make to your diet for competitions and what effect did they have on your physique? Did you knock out whole food groups, like diary? If so, what did you eat instead to keep your energy up?
    You still cut calories, but the main restriction came down to carbs and adding much of anything to food. I like soy sauce, but that's a no since it helps to retain water and "blurs" out definition. As for energy, I really didn't notice a lot of reduction since my attitude was that I was always up for training.

IDEA Fitness member
  • healthyKYgirl
    healthyKYgirl Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Damn, I was hoping there was a Stevia shrub I could plant in my garden. Then I could harvest Stevia packets, content in the knowledge that I am so much better than all those plebes who eat bread and chemicals.

You asked - so here you go: http://seedrack.com/indiv/stevia.html?gclid=CK-65uyD1bkCFeIRMwodJkIAHg
    And here's how to use the fresh leaves as sweetner:
    http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/use-stevia-leaves-6944.html

So again...what makes stevia extract (which is processed using ethanol or methanol) more clean than sugar cane extract?

eta: my point being: Stevia is a plant, sure. So is sugar cane. The labeling of something as 'processed' or 'clean' is just completely arbitrary and seemingly based on current trends. Sugar cane has to be processed. It can also be used raw. Same for Stevia, but one is touted and the other demonized.

I didn't say that stevia as found in the store is less processed than refined white or brown sugar. This person just asked to be able to grow it in their front yard, so I provided the link to the seeds. If you want to grow sugar cane in your front yard or sugar beets go for that too. What you do with that information is up to you. And for the record, I don't like the taste of Stevia. Nor do I think it is less processed from other refined sweetners, although it does have different properties from refined sugar in how it reacts in the body (i.e. doesn't raise blood sugar levels).
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    ...may be laced with HFCS...

HFCS is nutritionally no different than honey.

What is your source for this info? I believe it is different. I believe different honeys even vary nutritionally.

I take it back - since the food item in question was a baked good, those typically use HFCS-42, which actually has a superior glucose-fructose ratio than honey.

Neither is a whole food, both are processed foods, both are basically pure sugar. Now, if you wanted to talk about eating actual *honeycomb*, then there might be something there...

PS Someone mentioned Stevia - Stevia the sweetener is not a whole food, it is a processed, manufactured product, and any definition of "clean" that includes Stevia must also include HFCS.

While there may be processed honey, honey is natural. and natural honey is a clean food. HFCS is not. I do not believe they are same nutritionally, but even if they were it wouldn't change the fact that one is clean and one is not. Clean is about "natural" foods, not nutritional content.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member
    Prepping for a contest (in the 80s no less) is a bit different. I've seen friends prep (in the 90s primarily). Eliminating cultural foods wouldn't be a goal of anyone I know who "eats clean". Foods that have been passed down from one's culture ARE typically minimally processed foods. If my family were of Mexican heritage, for example, why would I need to remove traditional Mexican foods to eat clean? I may decide not to eat the fast food version of those foods... but can't think of any traditional mexican food I'd need to dump. Unless I'm misunderstanding you...
    You'd have to see my cultural foods list. High sodium, fried, and dripping with saturated fats. And bodybuilding prepping hasn't changed much since the 80's. It's still basically high protein, low carb and no added salts, sugar, etc.

IDEA Fitness member
    New Mexican? ;-)
    Well, doesn't sound too healthy as a day to day diet, but as with all things, moderation is key.
    To me, eating clean isn't high protein, low carb, no added salt. (sounds like it's all about dropping water weight?)
    I eat tons of carbs. I eat moderate protein, and Salt is my go to condiment.
    I do limit added sugar (and won't eat HFCS if I know it's in there. Tough these days)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I was put on a "clean" eating regimen 6 weeks ago when the Dr took me off my Cholesterol Medication because it was causing my joints and muscles severe pain. I eat all plant food and fish... I do eat a yogurt and eggwhites but other than that it's all clean healthy eating. It was hard at first but now it's just habit and I have no desire to eat the crap or junk food. I don't eat processed foods, breads, meats or pasta... I do however, love pizza and will cheat once in a great while and have a slice or two and wash it down with a couple beers. I am by no means perfect but I am feeling much better, my skin feels good and I am sleeping like a rock!! Oh and yeah I lost 17.4lbs in 6 weeks so I am all for Clean Eating and would LOVE some recipes and meal plans if you care to share, so friend me if you want!

Thanks!
    Kelly

So egg whites and yogurt aren't even considered "Clean"? :huh:

Not unless you have some chickens & cows in your backyard!
    Sure they are. Or rather they can be. This is not binary. It's not: live off the grid and grow your own hemp pants or nothing.

I wouldn't eat Gogurt. Or the super sweet HFCS sweetened yogurts. But I eat yogurt all the time.
    I eat eggs. All the time. I aim for buying eggs from my local co-op.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    How can you tell someone is a "Clean Eater"?

Don't worry - they'll tell you.
    As opposed to the donut patrol? who feels the need to launch into EVERY "clean eating" thread and go on and on about donuts and pizza (I eat pizza, btw)?

The "iifym" crowd is just as sanctimonious by and large as the "clean eaters".

In the end, it all comes to personal preference, and to what EACH OF US thinks will sustain us for life, as well as what is sustainable by us.

IIFYM may work great as a lifestyle approach for some. And so-called "clean eating" (I hate that term) may work for others. It works for me. I've been at maintenance for 12 years.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Clean is about "natural" foods, not nutritional content.
    Yes. It is 100% based on the naturalistic fallacy. which is why it is a ridiculous idea.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    OP: for what it's worth there IS a "clean eating" group. If your aim is to support and be supported, join us.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Yes. It is 100% based on the naturalistic fallacy. which is why it is a ridiculous idea.
    And isn't it great you dont have to do it?? YAY For you!!!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Agreed.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    How can you tell someone is a "Clean Eater"?

Don't worry - they'll tell you.
    As opposed to the donut patrol? who feels the need to launch into EVERY "clean eating" thread and go on and on about donuts and pizza (I eat pizza, btw)?

The "iifym" crowd is just as sanctimonious by and large as the "clean eaters".

In the end, it all comes to personal preference, and to what EACH OF US thinks will sustain us for life, as well as what is sustainable by us.

IIFYM may work great as a lifestyle approach for some. And so-called "clean eating" (I hate that term) may work for others. It works for me. I've been at maintenance for 12 years.
    I have never seen any pro-iifym person say any of the following:
    -you will get cancer
    -wait until you're 70
    -my way is the only way anyone can be healthy

However, "clean eating" discussions always devlove into those completely baseless assertions, which are always made from the same 'side.'
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    And I also don't have to put up with it being promoted to people who are new and trying to learn what is best for them.
  • BeachIron
    Options
    And I also don't have to put up with it being promoted to people who are new and trying to learn what is best for them.

When I am choosing among diet approaches, I want something that gives me a tool to decide what I can and cannot eat and is, at the same time, the least restrictive. Vague notions of "natural," "processed," and "clean" do not do this. Fear of "chemicals" does not do this. WW and beachbody do not do this. IIFYM does. It is clear and concise. Set the macros, abide by the macros, move along. I'd rather not hear so much about neanderthal man, brain fog, dietary intolerances that everyone swears I must have and I could find if I'd just cut this or that out of my diet, the ever present threat that I'll have cancer at 80, toxins without names or the remotest connection to the concept of dosage, or any of the other absolute nonsense. So yes, if a few people like to post pics of Pop Tarts, I'm fine with that. That is at least mildly amusing, though I suppose that the tin foil hat approach is amusing in a different way.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

When I am choosing among diet approaches, I want something that gives me a tool to decide what I can and cannot eat and is, at the same time, the least restrictive. Vague notions of "natural," "processed," and "clean" do not do this. Fear of "chemicals" does not do this. WW and beachbody do not do this. IIFYM does. It is clear and concise. Set the macros, abide by the macros, move along. I'd rather not hear so much about neanderthal man, brain fog, dietary intolerances that everyone swears I must have and I could find if I'd just cut this or that out of my diet, the ever present threat that I'll have cancer at 80, toxins without names or the remotest connection to the concept of dosage, or any of the other absolute nonsense. So yes, if a few people like to post pics of Pop Tarts, I'm fine with that. That is at least mildly amusing, though I suppose that the tin foil hat approach is amusing in a different way.
    I agree IIFYM gives you pretty clear guidelines. But I have yet to feel convinced that IIFYM and counting and measuring WILL be the answer for many folks in KEEPING THE WEIGHT OFF LONG TERM. Of course it will if folks do it forever. Is that sustainable? Time will tell.

I do believe that focusing on whole foods, and aiming for eating diet rich in fresh vegetables and fruits will. If that becomes a lifestyle. Which it did for me.

But yet, folks seem to mock that approach. Openly. My lifestyle was called "sad" on here recently. :laugh:

But again, time will tell with everyone else.

I'm not big on hearing about neanderthal man either. But that's paleo. I'm not paleo. "Clean eating" can be paleo, but isn't by definition paleo.

I believe in offering folks support when they decide to stop eating 30 ingredient bread and cut down or eliminate sodas. I don't see why that's problematic.

I do wonder, often, if I'm talking about my 80% of the time goals, while some others are talking about their 20% treats. Dunno.
    I've tried an IIFYM approach, and found it more cumbersome. But again, to each his own.
  • BeachIron
    Options

I agree IIFYM gives you pretty clear guidelines. But I have yet to feel convinced that IIFYM and counting and measuring WILL be the answer for many folks in KEEPING THE WEIGHT OFF LONG TERM. Of course it will if folks do it forever. Is that sustainable? Time will tell.

I do believe that focusing on whole foods, and aiming for eating diet rich in fresh vegetables and fruits will. If that becomes a lifestyle. Which it did for me.

But yet, folks seem to mock that approach. Openly. My lifestyle was called "sad" on here recently. :laugh:

I'm not big on hearing about neanderthal man either. But that's paleo. I'm not paleo. "Clean eating" can be paleo, but isn't by definition paleo.

I believe in offering folks support when they decide to stop eating 30 ingredient bread and cut down or eliminate sodas. I don't see why that's problematic.

I do wonder, often, if I'm talking about my 80% of the time goals, while some others are talking about their 20% treats. Dunno.
    I've tried an IIFYM approach, and found it more cumbersome. But again, to each his own.

Internet yelling. Nice touch about keeping weight off there. Best of luck.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

No yelling. Emphasis.
    Yep. Keeping the weight off , and being healthy is, or rather should be, the goals.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Yeah, more or less, but when it comes to food "bad" and "good" are little more than opinion. One person's ridiculous idea is another's wonderful idea. To each his own, I say.
  • BeachIron
    Options

No yelling. Emphasis.
    Yep. Keeping the weight off , and being healthy is, or rather should be, the goals.

That may be your goal, and if it is, best of luck.

My fitness and heath goals center more on strength, performance, and keeping myself at a reasonable to low BF%. Weight is no longer much of a concern for me.