what was your BMI when you moved to maintain

Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I started at 24 and came down to 22. I think at my age a BMI of 21 would = brittle bones and people would think I had (whisper) cancer
    Mine's still 21 (21.3), and I have quite a bit of meat on me.
    I don't think anyone would worry about me breaking a hip. :happy: Which highlights the limitations of BMI.
  • phieaglefan
    phieaglefan Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I went from 27.6 to 22.8. I really have no desire to be 'skinny' and this is the slimmest I've been in many years. I too am up there age wise so just looking to be a healthy maintainable weight.
  • TravelDog14
    TravelDog14 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Starting BMI of 32.3.
    Maintaining at 21.2 and happy with that.
  • Thedij
    Thedij Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I started with a BMI of 28.5 on January 1 this year and am now in maintenance with a BMI of 20. I'm happy here with Body Fat around 22.2%, although I'm going to start some strength training to rebuild some muscle that I lost when I dropped 50 pounds.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about an antiquated measure dating back to the mid 1800s.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
  • LittleWub
    LittleWub Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I started in January with a BMI of 27.1, now its 22.5. I'm happy with that. I've just got to concentrate on staying healthy and not gaining too many of those lost lbs back on again!
  • jchadden42
    Options
    Went from 28 to 22.

I'm 5'5" and weigh 135 pounds. I would not wish to weigh less because size 4 (American) jeans are loose, and finding appropriate clothes smaller than that is nearly impossible. I think a BMI in the low 20s is good.
  • jchadden42
    Options
    I started at 24 and came down to 22. I think at my age a BMI of 21 would = brittle bones and people would think I had (whisper) cancer
    Mine's still 21 (21.3), and I have quite a bit of meat on me.
    I don't think anyone would worry about me breaking a hip. :happy: Which highlights the limitations of BMI.

I went from 28 to 22, and people asked others who knew me if I'd been (whisper) ill with the cancer. They've gotten used to it now, though :sick:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Went from 28 to 22.

I'm 5'5" and weigh 135 pounds. I would not wish to weigh less because size 4 (American) jeans are loose, and finding appropriate clothes smaller than that is nearly impossible. I think a BMI in the low 20s is good.
    It's all so fascinating. I'm 5'6.5 and weigh about 135 and I wear a size 8 (american)!
  • Seesawboomerang
    Seesawboomerang Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    BMI: I was at 25. I'm now at 21.

Lost weight 2-3 yrs ago, age 39-40, from 75kg (165 lb) to 64kg now (140 lb).

I've been lighter between times but I seem to level out at the weight I'm at now.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    20%. I am 5' 5" and weigh 125.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I got to 23%, but I didn't like the way I looked. I was too thin for my frame. Now I'm at 24% and very happy. I started off at 36%.
  • arikag
    arikag Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    From 28.1 at the start to 21.5
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    32 down to 21.

I just had my annual physical and told my doc I wanted to get down to 19. She is concerned that is I drop my BMI any lower that it will adversely effect my bone density so she's sending me for a DEX scan.

I'm over 40, white and she called me "slender"(yes!) and said that with those factors in combination I need to think about my bone density.
  • shrinkingbrian
    shrinkingbrian Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    My starting BMI was 55. My current BMI is 26 which is pretty much my goal weight. Now, I'm trying to add more muscle and decrease my body bad percentage now.
  • FrankiesSaysRelax
    FrankiesSaysRelax Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I think I started around a 22-23. I'm 19 now.
  • m00tmike
    m00tmike Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Bmi is BS. Right now mine is 40.5 (5'9" 274lbs). At 165lbs I would be just barely "normal". That's just too skinny for me IMHO
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Bmi is BS. Right now mine is 40.5 (5'9" 274lbs). At 165lbs I would be just barely "normal". That's just too skinny for me IMHO

BMI is just a height/weight ratio. The interesting feature of this thread is it provides information about what sort of ratio people were happy with when they moved to maintain. As opposed to disgruntled speculation about BMI from people who have not reached their goals yet.

I dropped from 27.8 to 23.4 (11% bf), and am bulking to a maintain target that will be ~25 in the 10-12% bf range.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Two years into maintenance I'm still holding at 19.3, down from 28 at my heaviest. Around 20 used to be normal for me and I didn't climb above 21 until my late 40's.