what was your BMI when you moved to maintain

Options

Replies

• brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I'm at 15% right now and i won't consider myself to "maintenance" mode until i'm below 10%, ideally 8%

WHen i say BMI i mean, my body fat percentage (as measured by my scale, which calculates it more accurately than jsut weight/height).
  • Shannonthompson73
    Shannonthompson73 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    32 down to 21.

I just had my annual physical and told my doc I wanted to get down to 19. She is concerned that is I drop my BMI any lower that it will adversely effect my bone density so she's sending me for a DEX scan.

I'm over 40, white and she called me "slender"(yes!) and said that with those factors in combination I need to think about my bone density.

Yay, my doctor agrees with yours- maybe they know what they are talking about. I came down from 26 to 21 BMI and at my appointment in August my doc told me it is time to maintain. She did the voodoo with the fat squeezer also, I don't remember the %.

I still have my little tummy pouch and am slightly jiggly in places but my doctor was very stern with me when she told me to maintain. She had concerns about bone density and me not being an elite athlete (or any kind of athlete) that I should not go any lower with any of my numbers.

I am glad my doctor took the time to go over my numbers and her reasons for her recommendations with me. The information many people put out on these forums to judge others with is completely contradictory to what my doctor said. Contrary to much of the opinion out there healthy can look a little jiggly too.
  • LittleAngelamj
    LittleAngelamj Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    How did you lose your weight? I started at a BMI of 34 and now its a 32, so its coming down slowly but surely.
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I was 34.6 when I started, now I'm 24.1. When I moved to maintenance, I was around 25.1, but I changed my workout plan and lost a few more pounds, and am happy to maintain where I am at.

My BF is 20%, which is fine with me right now.
  • hopefaithlove24
    hopefaithlove24 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Was at 23.9 when I started 21.3 now and want to get down to 19
  • bwright9752
    bwright9752 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    BMI is a silly measurement. My company gives us a 10% discount on health insurance if our bmi is below 28. I went in this year after a workout and was 28.5. My other measurements from that screening were:
    BF 11.5% (using the electrodes you hold in your hand)
    Total Cholestrol: 139
    Bad Cholestrol: 79
    Good Cholestrol: 50 (i think, i'm not quite sure and I don't have the results with me)
    Triglycerides: 52
    Blood Sugar: 95 (I had been fasting for 10 hours and just completed a 90 minute workout so they weren't concerned about this)
    BP: 85/57 that was on a retake because she didn't believe the first one that was 81/55.

I'm almost 49 yo and just ran my first half mara 2 days before this screening.

I asked to protest the BMI so I could get the 10% discount, the dr took one look at me and declared I was "heavily muscled" and gave me the discount. I guess "heavily muscled" is better than "thick boned".
  • Holder79
    Holder79 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Starting Weight 270 BMI 38%
    Current Weight 226 BMI 26%
    Goal Weight 180
    Would like to have a BMI around 15% or lower

Still going strong
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I started out at 28.3 and am maintaining at 20.6 (I'm 5'4" and currently weigh 120#).
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Goal Weight 180

Still going strong

I've never calculated BMI for a male, but for females, a BMI of 18 is in the "underweight" category. I'm guessing it's similar to how guys generally carry lower body fat than women at an equal level of fitness maybe?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Goal Weight 180

Still going strong
    BMI of 15% or body fat of 15% or lower.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I'm at 15% right now and i won't consider myself to "maintenance" mode until i'm below 10%, ideally 8%

WHen i say BMI i mean, my body fat percentage (as measured by my scale, which calculates it more accurately than jsut weight/height).
    BMI and body fat percentages aren't the same thing, just to be clear for others.... A BMI of 8 would probably be dead. But 8% body fat would be ridiculously awesome.
  • ptjbaker
    Options
    Amen, Sister! 21 BMI is awesome.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I never went on a diet. When I joined I joined on maintenance. My BMI went down by 1 point, which is more than enough because I'm at the low end (I'm petite and have a small frame). I was working on fitness, not weight loss.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
  • Angie1366
    Options
    My maintain is in 22-23 BMI
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    26.1 which is overweight for me...but I'm at a healthy BF%, it's just that I have a little bit of muscle...I'm no body builder either, but it would seem that a little bit of muscle pretty much makes BMI a bunch of BS.
  • rtrcarrie
    rtrcarrie Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    @ 222# I was 33.26. @ goal weight of 150# I was 22.48 and happy wit it. I've fallen down to 148.6# and 22.27. Working on not loosing anymore. @ 5 feet 8.5 inches, 150# is low enough. I already have those who think I'm too thin. Don't really care what they think, but I'm happy @ 150# 22.48 BMI :)
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    My BMI has been between 20.4 and 19.6 all year (perfect for my marathon training). That being said I agree with other posters that body fat percentage is a more useful metric to track.

After my marathon in two weeks I plan to start bulking (I will be focusing more on strength training for a while) and am fine with my BMI climbing up a bit so long as my body fat percentage remains in my desired range.
  • AllyCatXandi
    AllyCatXandi Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I went from 26.03 and am now maintaining ~19.71 :smile:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I ended my last cut at 25 and started to bulk (and its what my BMI is now). BMI is not very useful for me as I have a high LBM. 25 is on the cusp of overweight but I have a sub 20% BF% at that BMI. I focus on BF%, the mirror and the fit of my clothes a lot more.