Apple, Pear or Hourglass MUST KNOW NOW

1235»

Replies

• MuseofSong
    MuseofSong Posts: 322 Member
    Waist at navel, hips at fullest part, bust at fullest part

Apple or V shape (triangle downward): Apple shaped women have broad(er) shoulders compared to their (narrower) hips. Apple shaped women tend to have slim legs/thighs, while the abdomen and chest look larger compared to the rest of the body. Fat is mainly distributed in the abdomen, chest, and face.

Banana, straight, or I shape (rectangular): The waist measurement is less than 9 inches smaller than the hips or bust measurement. Body fat is distributed predominantly in the abdomen, buttocks, chest, and face. This overall fat distribution creates the typical ruler (straight) shape.

Pear, spoon, bell, or A shape (triangle upward): The hip measurement is greater than the bust measurement. The distribution of fat varies, with fat tending to deposit first in the buttocks, hips, and thighs. As body fat percentage increases, an increasing proportion of body fat is distributed around the waist and upper abdomen. The women of this body type tend to have a (relatively) larger rear, thicker thighs, and a small(er) bosom.

Hourglass or X shape (triangles opposing, facing in): The hip and bust are almost of equal size with a narrow waist. Body fat distribution tends to be around both the upper body and lower body. This body type enlarges the arms, chest, hips, and rear before other parts, such as the waist and upper abdomen.

So just measure yourself. Is the difference between your hips and waist ten inches? Is your bust equal to your hip measurement? If so, it's hourglass.

Is your waist measurement 9 inches or less difference from your hips? If so, probably ruler / banana / rectangle.

Is your bust the biggest part of you with boarder shoulders? Carry weight in your midsection primarily? Less than 9 inch difference between waist and hips? That's apple.

Pear is clear, your hips are the fullest part of you.

What does all this matter for your perception of yourself as a woman? It does NOT. All body types are beautiful. Don't be angry at yourself if you're not a certain body shape. It's genetics not diet.

The only reason why you should know at all is to 1. buy the right clothes to flatter you figure and 2. be aware that apple shaped body disturbition may carry higher risks with obesity than pear shaped.

Midsection weight is more dangerous to our health. That's the only medical reason to be aware of what's up with our weight distrubution. Women who carry their weight below their waist line (pear) or evenly distrubute it (hourglass) may have a lower risk of obseity related complications. However, every body type will eventually carry excess weight around the middle and that's why it's important to exercise and lower weight for medical reasons.

I gained my weight around my middle last. But it's also the first place weight comes off as long as I keep my hyperinsulinaemia under control from my PCOS.

Anyway that's the HEALTH stuff.

If you're just having body image issues, learn to love the you that you are. If you're at a healthy weight, don't sweat your body type.
  • I can't afford to go to the gym, but that doesn't stop me from working out. I do however, have a huge stockpile of exercise videos that I have been collecting since the early 90s. You can get some workout videos pretty cheap. I also walk during my lunch breaks at work. Not working out because you can't go to the gym, is a really poor excuse for not exercising. There are all kinds of exercises you can do right in your living room with no equipment at all. You can do jumping jax, burpees, sit ups, push ups, jog in place. There are fitness sites on facebook that post these types of workouts all the time.
  • None of the above. Ruler/rectangle for sure (not sure where people are seeing an hour glass. :huh: )
    ^^^ I agree! I'm definitely not seeing an hourglass at all. The hips and waist look about the same size. Definitely a ruler. In the end it doesn't really matter.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Even I thought I am an apple as I hardly have a hip.. but I have a defined waist.. Can you guys help me with determining?

1175076_10151598281165793_815693095_n.jpg

Can't post pics :'(

See what I mean? I'm so jealous of all you girls that don't look sloppy. I have so many friends who are bigger than me in size and weight but they look more firm. I look disgusting! Your stomach and thighs are much less flabby than mine. I want to know how to look less sloppy without losing my shape and becoming waif thin. I'm only about 110-115 pounds but its a very disgusting 115.

Strength training, strength training, strength training. That is what gets rid of the "flab" and gives you a fit and muscled look. You can do it by lifting weights, using resistance bands, or using bodyweight exercises at home. But you have to stick with it and you have to make sure you're doing a routine that challenges your body.

If you have Planet Fitness near you, you can get a membership for $10 a month. Or workout at home.
This discussion has been closed.