Wow. You look like *kitten*....

Options

Replies

• steve2kay
    steve2kay Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Do you know what it is specifically that is causing them to be concerned? Have they said?

You might find that they're trying to be nice and are concerned because you lost weight quickly, because you seem tired, weak, don't fit their model of healthy etc?

I think what they've done is inappropriate and if it were me I'd go to management and HR but then I'd be happy to rock the boat, I don't know your situation. It might be worth trying to resolve it informally first.
  • BlackLabLover
    BlackLabLover Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I am five feet tall. Weigh 143lbs currently. That picture was taken after I completed insanity. I have facebook for anyone who believes I am a "troll." Geez.

Hi - I am also 5' and around 135. My goal is to lose 20 lbs (since I was 112 when I met my husband - and that was after I gained six unwanted pounds!). I concur with the others - people are so used to seeing obesity, that they do not know what healthy looks like. I do not even think they can recognize what over-weight looks like since obesity seems to be the norm. I go by BMI. My BMI says I am overweight based on my weight and height. I will be satisfied when my BMI is in the healthy range. I have heard from others that I do not need to lose weight and I simply say that according to BMI, I am overweight and I want to be healthy.

I, too, am shocked that you are hearing these comments from those in a health profession...

I must say, though, after reading your profile, it seems that you are deeply affected by what others think. You can't please everyone. You *are* more than your size - it sounds like you need something other than your size to define yourself (regardless of whether you are bigger or smaller). Good luck on your journey - kudos to you for doing Insanity!
  • osothefinn
    osothefinn Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    These comments come from my director of nursing, her assistant, my immediate supervisor, and a few fellow co-workers. I even told my supervisor I felt like everyone was ganging up on me, and although I appreciated their "concern," that I was pretty sure telling someone they look awful wasn't the right way to go about anything. I realize no one has ever seen me at this weight. I didn't even weigh this when I first started 8 years ago. I just want to be happy. And I want people to support me. I feel like I have no one except the amazing people I have met on here.

I'd be on a trip to HR to file a complaint if I was you.
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    these are SUPERIORS telling you these things AT WORK??!! holy ****, that's just not right.

get your butt into HR. like, right now.
  • fonzanoons
    Options
    I wouldn't give them any note from my doctor.

I wouldn't give them any information about my health.

I'd tell them matter of factly that it is not only completely inappropriate to make comments about someone else's body, it is highly unprofessional and in direct violation of company policy (regardless of where you work, there will be a policy in place protecting you from sexual harassment... and comments about your desirability like saying you look like a corpse is indeed a comment on your desirability...).

I would tell them that if you hear one more of their negative thoughts or opinions even in passing, you will file a formal complaint with human resources but that if they are interested in learning about health and fitness you'd be happy to help them get started on their journey.

It really stinks that you're dealing with that at work... especially in what should be a supportive environment for weight loss and health. It's wonderful that you've found this place and some support here.

(I'm also originally from West Virginia... it is absolutely a cultural thing there. It doesn't make it okay. We can and should fight back.)
  • JewelsinBigD
    JewelsinBigD Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Why the hell are people suggesting you get a doctors note? Your health is no ones business but your own. There's no need to prove ****. You don't have to prove or owe anyone anything.

This is either a troll post or true life lawyers wet dream.
    I agree with this - you don't owe anything to anyone. You are fine. Enjoy your success - ignore the haters.
  • aprilwilliams2729
    aprilwilliams2729 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Isn't West Virginia one of the fattest states in the country? They are concerned that you are sabotaging the image that everyone else has overate so much to achieve!

You look good, btw. Not underweight. Healthy actually.

Enough with the WV bashing! :mad: :explode:

Montani Semper Liberi
  • michellechawner
    Options
    I am very surprised, as you said "director of nursing" um, they should know what healthy is.

You look great, at least from the photos. And harassment in the workplace is illegal, so be sure to get the note, if doctor says it's fine, and sue if needed. I am not one to sue people, but workplace harassment has been a major issue in the past with me and it took them 2 years to finally fire the guy that was harassing me.

I see people saying you won't need the note, but are you scared you may lose your job? it may save you from unemployment...

Good luck!
  • ABlewett1130
    ABlewett1130 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I cannot believe this. I think it's terrible that those people are so judgmental. From your picture, you look happy and healthy. I think it's great you lost as much as you did. I agree with everyone else, get a note from your doctor stating that your weight is fine, and not to prove anything, but to keep your manager or supervisor from doing something illegal. Keep focused on you. If you look in the mirror and like what you see, take that feeling and role with it. Don't let other people bring you down because they all have their own insecurities.
  • sugafreak
    sugafreak Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    It is your body and you can be whatever weight you darn well like. You look fab in your picture and I'm thinking there's a spot of jealousy going on. Bottom line is it is none of their business and very unprofessional of your superiors to bring it up to you in work. You go girl and don't let the ******** get you down!!
  • shannashannabobana
    Options
    Wow. What kind of nurses act like that?
    Nurses eat their own. Don't listen to them, you're doing great.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

The previous poster is right in that it will not make the environment friendly for you, but frankly, it isn't friendly now, is it? If the supervisor's supervisor or HR does their job, it should at least stop the overt harassment.

yeah, but there's no getting rid of vibe & any number of covert ways of punishing OP for action.

i now think, get what you can from them & plan an exit strategy asap.

Absolutely true, and that plan is what I would follow, too, because reality is what reality is. But, I would have been planning an out anyway - no way would I stay in that environment.

I am one that feels if I don't stand up, then people don't learn what is unacceptable. This is how management realizes that changes need to be made. They don't see what's going on, so they won't know until they're told by enough people that it's obvious there's a problem.

The benefit of going up the food chain now and getting things on record is that you are establishing a paper trail and giving management and HR more firepower to make changes for your benefit. They may even be able to find a real solution, like transferring OP to another department. Does not change the underlying resentment, and doesn't mean the coworkers won't be stupid and try increasingly sneaky ways to take it out on OP.
  • fervc
    fervc Posts: 19
    Options
    Well first off you need to get a new job. Secondly, you look fantastic. Don't listen to the haters.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Do you wear scrubs that fit your new body properly?
    Do you wear some form of makeup to work?

If the answer to these Q's is yes, then I agree with 99% of the posts here. The "meetings" are inappropriate and you are being harassed.

However - and I know I may be hated for this comment - if the answer to those two Q's (either of them) is no, then it's probably an appearance issue. Too-big scrubs combined with a fresh-scrubbed face can make nearly anyone look like a sloppy meth addict which is the last thing you want to see from someone in a health-related career.
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Let me tell you this.. You look BEAUTIFUL. N NOT A CORPSE.
    It doesnt matter what people around you say. They are just irritated that they cant call you fat anymore.. So to feed their bully nature they are saying that you look like a drug addict and all such nonsense. So now if you will listen to them and start gaining weight. They will start calling you fat again..even if u hav gained just 5-8 lbs..

So ignore them. N do what you want.

This ^^ these workmates are rats. Slimy little rats. You're in a toxic place socially. some places that aren't managed correctly from above get like this and it just becomes a runaway train. Like primary school. All these socially retarded little hitlers have their stupid gossips, their stupid backbiting, their stupid storytelling and to entertain themselves the make up whatever nasty thing they can about whoever they can make it up about. They're filth. If you dob on them they just make up the next *****fest about that, and ostracise you.

They'll needle you till you stop losing weight, and then they'll sneer down on you for failing. Honestly, in some workplaces the culture is totally evil and the only cure is getting out of there.

You're losing weight. :D Soon you will look a million bucks in an interview suit. :D And then they can all just go stuff it where the sun don't shine, can't they. :D

Don't get depressed. Get even. Don't let them get you down. Keep doing what you're doing and then get the hell out of there.
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Oh. and don't say anything to anybody about it. don't go to HR, don't go anywhere. Any single thing you say will be twisted and used against you. Write it down in a diary when you get home but at work just smile, smile smile. Nod, smile, carry on.

If they're in a mood to put you down any single thing you do will be used in this way. So do your job, take a book to read at lunch time, hang on in there till you can decently leave.
  • Guinivere
    Guinivere Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing happen to me, I was doing great on Dukan two years ago. Started getting the "you must be at goal now - don't Lose any more will you?" Followed by. "You look gaunt, your face is so thin. You've gone too far!". I'm 5ft 8 and a healthy weight for me is 11 stone. I was 13 stone at that point. I spooked and ate my way back up to 15 stone again.

I've got my act together and am back down to 13 stone again now. Nothing will stop me this time. The sabotage has already started again around me but I am simply deaf to it. I am getting to my goal no matter what.

And they go on about me needing new clothes - there's no point wasting money on clothes that will soon be huge on me. My old clothes are just baggy!

I'm convinced they are feeling guilty that they are not getting healthy themselves and don't want me to remind them how lazy they are!
  • cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I've gotten some really negative comments from some of the RN's I work with. Thankfully most don't comment at all and some are great cheerleaders. What I do is turn the conversation around to focus back on them. People love to talk about themselves and their families. Works for all kinds of situations. When I get asked if I'm still losing weight - I'll answer a really quick no and then follow up with something like, Hey, how's Colby/Kristin doing at college? before they get a chance to ask/say anything else. Works every time against the negative Nellies.
  • landodewd
    landodewd Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    You look great! I know people give me crap for being overweight. Being healthy and people are giving you rude comments. Can't we ever win? As long as your DR says you are healthy screw what they say and shove the clean bill of health in their face!
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,000 Member
    Options
    Congrats, you look great.sorry to hear this but try to hold your head up and continue with your goals. Dont let the comments derail you, it is easy to do, been there.
    Come to mfp for support and encouragement. I think I would consider making a complaint, maybe finding another job.......HUGS