Is there a difference between Brown and White rice

Options
1235»

Replies

• bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    BTW
    I just put some white rice in my rice cooker....and when it is done....I will be eating a cup of it. :happy:

If you use a rice cooker, you eat to much rice. =)
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    BTW
    I just put some white rice in my rice cooker....and when it is done....I will be eating a cup of it. :happy:

:laugh: :laugh:

I have a better excuse. My wife is asian.
  • Yeller_Sensation
    Yeller_Sensation Posts: 373 Member
    Options

You, Sir, get mad props! :love: :flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Wow, I don't know what Brown Rice you all have been eating, but I prefer brown rice over white rice for taste and texture. Of course I also don't like my noodles over cooked either. I like them a little chewy. When I see over cooked spaghetti I noodles I want to throw up. I can't eat it anymore.
  • MityMax96
    Options

You, Sir, get mad props! :love: :flowerforyou: :drinker:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :drinker:
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    BTW

:laugh: :laugh:

Hi5 =)
  • FrauHaas2013
    FrauHaas2013 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    White rice IS delicious, but it's also the WORST rice there is!!! It's true what everyone else has said - it's basically brown rice with all the good stuff stripped off of it.

That being said, I was raised eating white rice with every meal (my mother is Asian). I LOVE IT! It was REALLY hard to turn to the dark side of brown rice. While I've gotten used to it's somewhat more "al dente" texture and nutty flavor, I started off by slowly mixing it in with the white rice. I actually eat Uncle Ben's brown rice - the cup that you cook in the microwave for 45 seconds - with whatever meat I'm having at lunch. It's palatable. Another option is to cook it with no-salt-added chicken stock or some other similar broth instead of water.
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    BTW

LOL @ this... I still measure a cup and add it into a pot of boiling water.
  • MexicanOsmosis
    MexicanOsmosis Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Brown rice
    Brown rice is whole grain rice. It has a mild, nutty flavor, and is chewier and more nutritious than white rice, but goes rancid more quickly because the bran and germ—which are removed to make white rice—contain fats that can spoil. Wikipedia
    Nutrition Facts
    Rice, brown, long-grain, cooked
    Amount Per 1 cup (195 g)
    Calories 216
    % Daily Value*
    Total fat 1.8 g 2%
    Saturated fat 0.4 g 2%
    Polyunsaturated fat 0.6 g
    Monounsaturated fat 0.6 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
    Sodium 10 mg 0%
    Potassium 84 mg 2%
    Total Carbohydrate 45 g 15%
    Dietary fiber 3.5 g 14%
    Sugar 0.7 g
    Protein 5 g 10%
    Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
    Calcium 2% Iron 4%
    Vitamin B-6 15% Vitamin B-12 0%
    Magnesium 21%
    *Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.

White rice
    White rice is the name given to milled rice that has had its husk, bran, and germ removed. This alters the flavour, texture and appearance of the rice and helps prevent spoilage and extend its storage life. Wikipedia
    Nutrition Facts
    Rice, white, long-grain, cooked
    Amount Per 1 cup (158 g)
    Calories 206
    % Daily Value*
    Total fat 0.4 g 0%
    Saturated fat 0.1 g 0%
    Polyunsaturated fat 0.1 g
    Monounsaturated fat 0.1 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
    Sodium 2 mg 0%
    Potassium 55 mg 1%
    Dietary fiber 0.6 g 2%
    Sugar 0.1 g
    Protein 4.2 g 8%
    Calcium 1% Iron 1%
    Vitamin B-6 5% Vitamin B-12 0%
    Magnesium 4%
    *Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    If you eat brown rice you get the smug sense entitlement that comes with thinking you eat cleaner than everyone else. On the other hand, if you eat white rice you get the smug sense of entitlement that comes with thinking how amazing you are for being able to eat whatever you want. Take your pick between which one of those you want to be because otherwise there's not too much difference.
  • MexicanOsmosis
    MexicanOsmosis Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Brown rice
    Brown rice is whole grain rice. It has a mild, nutty flavor, and is chewier and more nutritious than white rice, but goes rancid more quickly because the bran and germ—which are removed to make white rice—contain fats that can spoil. Wikipedia
    Nutrition Facts
    Rice, brown, long-grain, cooked
    Amount Per 1 cup (195 g)
    Calories 216
    % Daily Value*
    Total fat 1.8 g 2%
    Saturated fat 0.4 g 2%
    Polyunsaturated fat 0.6 g
    Monounsaturated fat 0.6 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
    Sodium 10 mg 0%
    Potassium 84 mg 2%
    Dietary fiber 3.5 g 14%
    Sugar 0.7 g
    Protein 5 g 10%
    Calcium 2% Iron 4%
    Vitamin B-6 15% Vitamin B-12 0%
    Magnesium 21%

White rice
    White rice is the name given to milled rice that has had its husk, bran, and germ removed. This alters the flavour, texture and appearance of the rice and helps prevent spoilage and extend its storage life. Wikipedia
    Nutrition Facts
    Rice, white, long-grain, cooked
    Amount Per 1 cup (158 g)
    Calories 206
    % Daily Value*
    Total fat 0.4 g 0%
    Saturated fat 0.1 g 0%
    Polyunsaturated fat 0.1 g
    Monounsaturated fat 0.1 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
    Sodium 2 mg 0%
    Potassium 55 mg 1%
    Dietary fiber 0.6 g 2%
    Sugar 0.1 g
    Protein 4.2 g 8%
    Calcium 1% Iron 1%
    Vitamin B-6 5% Vitamin B-12 0%
    Magnesium 4%

I would call that a relatively negligible difference...
  • Qinnih
    Options
    I can't believe people are arguing like this over rice :/. Unless rice is your only dietary intake, choose whichever brand of whichever colour tastes the best or works best for you. The difference is seriously negligible if you follow a healthy diet of a variety of foods.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    It's not.

Use it for getting your carbs in after a workout and you will be good. :wink:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,691 Member
    Options
    I've heard different things from different people is there really a difference health why's? I want to put in both with my bulking just want to know if there is difference?
    White rice is cheaper, faster to cook and tastes better..................which is why I eat a little of it everyday.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • tamadrummer001
    tamadrummer001 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Brown rice is gross, thats what.

Yes yes yes! I have tried several times to eat the stuff, I just don't like it! Maybe if I used it in a stir fry or something but not with salt, pepper, and butter. Its just horrible (IMO)

The best thing you can do is go spend a couple bucks on a bag of it and cook it. Just remember it doesn't cook like white rice, it takes 2xs as long and uses a little bit more water.