Need help with bagels..

jess1992uga
jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
So I am recovering from anorexia and the newest add to my meal plan is a daily bagel (they are 400 calorie ones) and I have to do a topping. Part of my new nutrition contract however is I can't use any "diet" products...which apparently means sugar-free syrup or fat free cream cheese. So I was wondering what people top bagels with? I can't do regular cream cheese due to dietary restrictions and I am not in a place in recovery to do high-fat things like regular PB, but I am open to suggestions for healthy toppings.

Replies

• TheBitSlinger
    TheBitSlinger Posts: 621 Member
    Well, it's not low-fat, but it's extremely healthy... so what about hummus?
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Strawberry jam is good on them
  • sullykat
    sullykat Posts: 461 Member
    Margarine or butter, jam, hummus, pizza sauce (I love pizza bagels… throw some cheese on top, if that will work for you), avocado, tomato, cucumber.

I hope you find a yummy solution that works for you, that you truly enjoy eating :smile:
  • RozayJones
    RozayJones Posts: 409 Member
    I agree hummus is good :) Can you have an egg with it? Or maybe jelly?
  • LydiaShackelford
    LydiaShackelford Posts: 93 Member
    Hummus!!!
  • rejordan
    rejordan Posts: 132 Member
    I use something like laughing cow cheese triangles. They are a good sub for cream cheese. Don't know if it would work with your diet plan, but it's yummy! I like the hummus idea too.
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    For a savory option: butter, goat cheese or boursin cheese

For a sweet option: butter, butter with brown sugar and/or cinnamon, also jelly or jam can be good on bagels too.

Good luck on your continued recovery!
  • Hestion
    Hestion Posts: 740 Member
    I love salmon and cream cheese, could you see if you like anything else with salmon on it? If you like salmon of course, or use the bagel instead of muffins and do a variation of eggs benedict/royal that suits you?
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    So I am recovering from anorexia and the newest add to my meal plan is a daily bagel (they are 400 calorie ones) and I have to do a topping. Part of my new nutrition contract however is I can't use any "diet" products...which apparently means sugar-free syrup or fat free cream cheese. So I was wondering what people top bagels with? I can't do regular cream cheese due to dietary restrictions and I am not in a place in recovery to do high-fat things like regular PB, but I am open to suggestions for healthy toppings.

I love smoked trout pate on a bagel, or just a little butter.
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    smoked salmon, lox, is good

so is making a sandwich with tomato, cucumber, lettuce

preserves

pesto

olive relish
  • I love to top a plain bagel with banana slices. Sometimes I will add a dollop of almond butter and then top with banana slices, but you can do just banana slices as well.
  • kmorales_4
    kmorales_4 Posts: 208 Member

Congratulations on your recovery. May you live your life well and in perfect health going forward.
  • Fresh fruit...mash up a few strawberries and put on top. Then you don't have the added sugar either. Good luck.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    I like to do a little bit of butter and cinnamon sugar. Yum. Have you tried getting cinnamon raisin bagels or different types?

Good luck with your recovery. We're rooting for you!
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    I take 1/2 frozen banana and microwave few seconds and spread on bagel.
    Also,cottage cheese w/chives or eggs.
    Good luck to you:-)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    bacon and eggs

pumpkin butter (tis the season)

apple butter

Chicken breast, mozz, basil, tomato, balsamic
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    I like to do a little bit of butter and cinnamon sugar. Yum. Have you tried getting cinnamon raisin bagels or different types?

Good luck with your recovery. We're rooting for you!

Agreed. Different types of bagels are great too. There's light/whipped versions of cream cheese that you can try as well... if it fits the contract. Could try mixing berries/honey into the whipped cream cheese?

Seriously wishing you the best in your recovery, OP. Best of luck!
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Butter and jelly is really good, hummus, pizza sauce and cheese, a regular (not light) laughing cow cheese wedge, any other cheese that you like... I love to make an egg sandwich with a bagel. You can make any kind of sandwich with a bagel - turkey, ham, roast beef - whatever you like. Bagels are so versatile. You can put almost anything on them!

Good luck to you.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member

first, even though we are complete strangers, i'm proud of you for beating that stupid ED. seriously. :drinker:

second, what about eating 2 bagels with no toppings in lieu of 1 bagel with topping. i love Thomas' cinnamon raisin bagels. they are like crack to me right now. there is something about the softness and chewiness and flavor that just seems perfect to me. other brands aren't quite the same. i just eat them right out of the bag, unheated and with no toppings. 2 of these bagels = 520 delicious calories.

third, if 2 bagels doesn't appeal to you, i used to eat toasted bagels with a slice of melted velveeta on them. really good (especially the "everything" bagels) and crunchy and full of calories.

fourth, see my first point again! :happy:
  • homeyjosey
    homeyjosey Posts: 138 Member
    some nut butter and nutella...done