please explain the problem with low calories...

Options
12345679»

Replies

• NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    However, if your BMR is 1,400, that means that if you were lying there for 24 hours in a coma, that's how many calories your body would NEED just to keep you alive.

You ought to read how BMR is measured. Hint - the subjects aren't in a coma. Second hint - using 1400 calories does not mean you have to eat 1400 calories, especially if you're trying to use up your fat reserves.

I love it when people use this emotive "coma" crap in their posts, it allows us to dismiss the rest of it as emotive ill-founded claptrap without reading it.

It's just an example. Not to be taken seriously. It's meant to make people realize, that this means not moving around, or doing any of the crap that we do on a day to day basis. Most people don't lay around the house for 24 hours, unless they're ill. Not meant to be taken so literally.
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    what everyone else said ^
    It's harmful because your body uses up more calories in a camatose state rather than what you are eating. Which will hurt your body in the long run. Especially at your height, eating lower than 1200calories a day could be incredibly damaging.

Yes, ^^^this!
  • BillyOwens
    BillyOwens Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Don't get fixed on the numbers. I am 49 years old 5'10 very fit work out 4 hours on weights. I started 6 weeks ago and have lost 30 pounds so far. I am in 1000 calories a day, but maintain high protein at least 100 gr per day. I have only list about 2 % muscle mass. My water intake is about 12+ cups per day, my goal is at least 1 gallon per day.

Take a good multi vitamin.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    However, if your BMR is 1,400, that means that if you were lying there for 24 hours in a coma, that's how many calories your body would NEED just to keep you alive.

You ought to read how BMR is measured. Hint - the subjects aren't in a coma. Second hint - using 1400 calories does not mean you have to eat 1400 calories, especially if you're trying to use up your fat reserves.

I love it when people use this emotive "coma" crap in their posts, it allows us to dismiss the rest of it as emotive ill-founded claptrap without reading it.

It's just an example. Not to be taken seriously. It's meant to make people realize, that this means not moving around, or doing any of the crap that we do on a day to day basis. Most people don't lay around the house for 24 hours, unless they're ill. Not meant to be taken so literally.

Except that, literally, this is the calculation used in hospitals for how many calories a person in a coma needs.
  • Brian1679
    Options
    Your BMR is the answer, those calories are to low.
  • Brian1679
    Options
    Your BMR is the answer, those calories are to low.
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Well..I'll just give my input even thought I'm sure it won't be held up as much as everyone elses;

I have an eating disorder. I have to go to the doctor twice a week to watch my blood pressure, that runs around 70/50 because if it gets lower than that, something could go wrong with my heart and I could die. My pulse is also extremely low. My oxygen saturation is low. My body temperature runs around 96 (where a normal body temp is 98.6). I have to regularly get blood test to check and make sure that there is no damage to my kidneys or liver and a slew of other things (There is an order for blood work sitting right beside me right now, the orders on it are TSH, CBC, CMP (chem 14), ESR (Sed Rate), A1C) because what I have done to my body. How did I get said eating disorder? Eating less than 1000 calories a day. Dropping weight quickly. Deciding since I was dropping weight so quickly I would drop down more and more and more. Now my teeth are falling out, my hair is coming out in handfuls, and there is something wrong with my kidneys.

But good luck with your "healthy" low calorie diet.

This has also got to be one of the bravest posts I have seen. Thank you for sharing and I do hope everything goes well for you for the future

+1

Finally, someone speaking from experience. Thank you so much for posting that and I wish you godspeed in your recovery xxx
This discussion has been closed.