Do you work out on your period?

Options
Or do you take a break until your period ends? And is it bad to do strenuous exercise during that time of month? Thanks to anyone who answers.

Replies

• ballerina_tea
    ballerina_tea Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I physically can't workout if my cramps are raging. Many will say light activity helps, but I'd rather lie in the bath popping pills. My cramps only last 2-3 days though, so the resr of my period is fair game!
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    I do at least something , I just could afford to take 1 week off every month.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Of course. I may take the first day or two off from the gym, but I'll still at least walk a mile or something on those days.
  • Naomi0504
    Naomi0504 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Yes, I work out 6 days a week every week :smile: I might take a Motrin.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    I still workout
  • kowajenn
    kowajenn Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I get a little lazy for the first couple of days, then work out as usual.
  • happyindian
    happyindian Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    i can't. Somehow, physically do not feel upto strenuos exercises for the first 3 days. after tht it is back to normal.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Yes. I take some pain killers and keep going. I'm not about to let Aunt Flo ruin my daily plans just because she's visiting. That B can do what she wants, I'm not entertaining her.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    My main issue has mostly been bloating and cramps, but typically I just have to wait until my meds start working and the cramps go away, then I'm good to go. To be honest though my last periods have been so much easier on me since I lost weight.
  • cinicxo
    cinicxo Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Yes actually today is a perfect example. I was going through some serious cramps but I just took some medicine and toughed it out, eventually the pain went away and I get lazy too but I just think its only for an hour...or 30 mins and I get it done.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    If you have a standard, regular, normal menstrual cycle there is no medical reason to stop working out.

Yoga instructors may recommend you not do 1 or 2 poses, but otherwise, there's no medical reason why not.

If you feel like crap, take a day off, or take a pain reliever and power through.

I find my cramps are better after a good run.
  • cathymarie75
    cathymarie75 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Yes I push through it.....if I don't I am afraid I may start slacking and not get back on my schedule again.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Why wouldn't you? It makes me feel better actually.
  • bernied262
    bernied262 Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Yep, nothing stops me from doing my work outs :) I may not feel like doing them at that time, but I always feel great afterwards.
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    Yes, I do. I find it helps, but I usually only get crazy cramps on one day out of the entire period.
  • MuseofSong
    MuseofSong Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I feel completely exhausted during my period, but some light activity helps the awful lower back cramps that I get. So, yes I do.
  • ballerina_tea
    ballerina_tea Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Why wouldn't you? It makes me feel better actually.

Because some of us are pukers. Exertion makes mine 10x worse...
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I find it makes me feel better and gets rid of frustration.

Unless the cramps leave me bedridden, then its not exactly safe to take the codeine and go to the gym! (atleast it helps the cramps!)
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    If it's a heavy one I do a lighter workout usually and work on new healthy recipes but I stay busy.
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I carry on regardless, although I've begun to take a slight deload if I'm feeling weak.

Thankfully the cramps seem to only really spike between sets, so I just take longer rests.