Do you work out on your period?

Options

Replies

• Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    As a teenager i used to suffer from very heavy painful periods and no it was not an option to work out then.

Now after having four kids they tend not to be painful but are still very very heavy but since moving to a menstrual cup i have no problems working out. I do find that I get tired more quickly but have found that making sure that I keep up with my iron tablets have made a big difference.

You have to learn to listen to your body. Just because you are on your period is not an excuse but if you are severe pain or vomiting than look after yourself and take a few days off.
  • Rav3n1022
    Rav3n1022 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Heck yes!! It would be ridiculous not to, excersize makes you feel better and it could even take away cramps and other period related symptoms.
  • Craznge
    Options
    Indoor Swimming is the best, it a workout and it relieves cramps. But I also walk as a form of exercise on my period. Anything else, I can't really do much of.
  • fangmouse
    Options
    I still workout. Pretty strenuously still, if you ask me. I worked out 1-2 hours a day everyday last week and I was having my period then so
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    sometimes but my periods can be pretty heavy and painful so I take it day by day.
  • bunnybutler29
    Options
    The first few days of my T.O.M. I take it slow. I have anemia problems and get exhausted just from that. After it tapers off I will do some light exercises. Multivitamins or tons of iron rich foods still doesn't help.
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Of course. I think it would be ridiculous not to. Those of you who say your cramps are so painful that you literally cannot do physical activity, go to the doctor! That's not normal.

Edited to add: Those of you who are saying, "But in ye olden times, women could not do anything during their periods," that was because of *sexism*, not biology.

it must be nice not to suffer.. let them eat cake and all. I totally wish I was you..

Pretty sure most of us who are in extreme pain and discomfort have talked to our doctors plenty. nothing to be done, take it easy and take some pain killers. It's not just the cramps though. it's a number of other symptoms on top of that which make it pretty impossible.

Everyone is different. Some people are blessed. Some people are not.

exercise isn't something that you will die without for a few days. You can lose weight just eating at a deficit. There is no reason to suffer because you SHOULD WORK OUT ALL THE TIME NON STOP EVEN WHEN YOUR BODY FEELS FLU-LIKE FOR A FEW DAYS A MONTH BECAUSE OF HORMONES, BECAUSE THAT IS TOTALLY WHAT YOU SHOULD DO AND IT'S RIDICULOUS NOT TO DO IT..
  • FitFabFlirty92
    FitFabFlirty92 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    It depends entirely on your individual symptoms and how you feel. For me, it varies from month to month. If I'm having a really bad cycle where my cramps are keeping me in bed and it's hard to function, then anything extra like working out is out of the question. If it's a milder cycle where I'm uncomfortable, but still able to get around, I try to push myself to work out. There have been times where I did strenuous exercise and my cramps got a little bit worse afterward. But there have been other times that I've exercised and my period symptoms improved as a result. I just go by how I feel in the moment and try not to push myself too hard because I know the consequences when I do. If I honestly can't do it and I know I tried, I give my body the rest it's asking for with no guilt. :)
  • acruelscholar
    Options
    Personally I tend to take it easier because my main symptom is extreme exhaustion. I bleed HEAVY and that's from Day 1 to Day 4 so if I push too hard with the exercise on top of the period I can, and have, get really light headed and woozy. I think it's important to keep moving but I know a couple of total fitness freaks that physically have to stop for a week due to the pain, managed or not. I count myself lucky that I don't struggle with the pain they do.

It's so very personal. If you're looking for advice, then I would only say: go easy, but try and move a little. If your body is happy with it then try a little more but don't go too hard. And keep an eye on your intake. But most of all listen to your body. It'll tell you what you can and can't do. And ignore all those people telling you to 'just push through'. That might work for them but it doesn't for everyone. Find your own way and be happy that you're doing what your body needs you to.
  • suzyfj8
    suzyfj8 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I still workout, I normally have to force myself but I know that I feel better afterwards!
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    It depends on the severity of the event - usually during the first 3 days, nope can't. Found out the HARD way that normal "gym" activities are a NO GO for me, I've nearly passed out on the machinery. I'll do some light walking but that's about it.
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    I work out. Period.
  • DianaDaily
    Options
    Yes, but nothing too strenuous. If I walk continuously for at least 30 min. I have noticed that my cramps lessen significantly or disappear completely if walk for a good while.
  • rachaelgifford
    rachaelgifford Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I do!
  • acruelscholar
    Options
    Of course. I think it would be ridiculous not to. Those of you who say your cramps are so painful that you literally cannot do physical activity, go to the doctor! That's not normal.

If I had a week I couldn't begin to tell you all the things that are wrong with that statement.
    Edited to add: Those of you who are saying, "But in ye olden times, women could not do anything during their periods," that was because of *sexism*, not biology.

Actually it wasn't sexism at all. What the other posters are talking about, assuming they actually mean that women weren't ALLOWED to do things, mostly occurred in extremely religious cultures. They would often be excluded from household activities as they were considered, spiritually speaking, unclean.

But that was only SOME religious cultures. For example, some Hindu cultures considered a woman's menstruation was something worthy of celebration. Girls were given presents and thrown parties when they began menstruation.

So it wasn't sexism at all. It was religious exclusion based on biological factors and it was accepted as a way of life.

Might be an idea to do some research before you throw out arguments like that in future.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options

If I had a week I couldn't begin to tell you all the things that are wrong with that statement.

Actually it wasn't sexism at all. What the other posters are talking about, assuming they actually mean that women weren't ALLOWED to do things, mostly occurred in extremely religious cultures. They would often be excluded from household activities as they were considered, spiritually speaking, unclean.

But that was only SOME religious cultures. For example, some Hindu cultures considered a woman's menstruation was something worthy of celebration. Girls were given presents and thrown parties when they began menstruation.

So it wasn't sexism at all. It was religious exclusion based on biological factors and it was accepted as a way of life.

Might be an idea to do some research before you throw out arguments like that in future.

Are you seriously telling me that *religions cannot be sexist*? That's...hilarious! Perhaps *you* should do some research. One of the primary purposes of religion (no, not all of them, but certainly the major ones) is to keep women subordinate to men.
  • prettigirl01
    prettigirl01 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    no. the entire world ceases to exist when I have my period.

what the heck kind of question is this?

my life continues as normal...

its a normal question that's what it is.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    no. the entire world ceases to exist when I have my period.

I know your comment was sarcastic, but some of the women on this thread seem to be dead serious about this sentiment. It's completely bizarre to me. I have never met someone like that in real life.
  • Penfoldsplace
    Options
    Some people get things much harder than others. I used to get dizzy and nauseous along with the usual cramps and stuff. If I feel awful I am not going to push myself and make myself ill, it's counterproductive and dangerous. The world won't end if you take it easy for a day or two.
  • shannashannabobana
    Options
    I might take a day or two off if I have bad cramps (this is mostly because I want to put my feet up), but it just depends. If you can tough it out you'll probably feel better (I always find exercise makes cramps feel a little less crampy!). It definately won't hurt you!