Do you work out on your period?

Options

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Yeah but my "work out" is walking very briskly a couple of miles or hiking a 30 minute trail. I do that even with cramps. Just take a Midol.

However I do think some women have far heavier, more painful menstruation than I do based on talking with friends.
  • dynamitegalxo
    dynamitegalxo Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    wow. women do not shut off 1 week out of the month. unless you have a specific medical condition that requires medication preventing you from exertion or physical activity, why would you stop working out or eating correctly? good lord.
  • samf36
    samf36 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Nope I bleed to heavy. Everyone is different and you need to do what feels right for you.
  • karlastockham
    Options
    Yes, if I can. The only adjustment that I make is during my heaviest flow which are days #2 and often #3. I usually scale it way back on those days due to pain and flow. I admit that if I do opt to proceed rigorously, I load up on Midol and try to workout at home for obvious reasons.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Absolutely - I find the exercise helps with the discomfort. I take Advil if needed and keep going.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    no. the entire world ceases to exist when I have my period.

what the heck kind of question is this?

my life continues as normal...
  • celticminx
    celticminx Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Both. I listen to my body especially since I'm noticing some changes in my cycle that have to do with my age. I have a habit of getting too lazy and not going back to exercising if I take too much time off from it, however if I'm feeling that bad then I'll give it a miss. Not every month is the same for me right now. If I'm not doubled over or having to change every hour then I try to do something even if I'm cutting the amount of time or number of reps. Remember to be like Dori, just keep moving.
  • PrettyPearl88
    PrettyPearl88 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I physically can't workout if my cramps are raging. Many will say light activity helps, but I'd rather lie in the bath popping pills. My cramps only last 2-3 days though, so the resr of my period is fair game!

Ditto. I get cramps so severe that I vomit from the pain. I literally can't do anything except lie down. If I get up to use the bathroom, I vomit on my way there. Over-the-counter painkillers have no effect, so I take a prescription drug to lessen the pain. But I still feel just blahhh when I have cramps. My cramps only last 1 day out of my period though. So on that one day, I just count it as a rest day and skip my workout. I workout on all the other days of my period though. Unless you're in pain, there's nothing wrong with working out on your period.
  • She_Hulk
    Options
    Yes, I still work out. I just take two ibuprofen if I have to. But normally, I don't. I do hate feeling/looking bloated in my workout clothing, but that's life. :ohwell:
  • Tdk4685
    Tdk4685 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I don't let that get in the way of my workouts.
  • Nikoruo
    Nikoruo Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Generally i'll still work out, or at least try. If i hurt then i'd call it quits and try again tomorrow. At the least yo can go for a brisk walk :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    no. the entire world ceases to exist when I have my period.

what the heck kind of question is this?

my life continues as normal...
    A legitimate question.

Did you know that women for generations were told to never work out during their periods?
    The puberty book my mother gave me even said that. As a tomboy I was appalled and ignored it. But it was the prevailing opinion for many many generations.
  • NordicAlien
    NordicAlien Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    WARNING: this reply contains references to rape which may be a trigger for some.

It varies. I have PCOS and moderate endometriosis, and before I was on birth control I could barely walk during my period. They lasted between 3 weeks and 3 months, which was a nightmare in my teens. Trying to explain I'm stuck in bed with period pain to a mother who always got light cramps at worst was near impossible. And I got something called PMDD - Pre-Menstrual Dysphoric Disorder - which is like PMS on steroids, except it wasn't only just before, but sometimes during. Depression, crazy rages (where normally I'm one of the mellowest people you'll meet), suicidal thoughts, complete irrationality. So no exercising then. If someone suggested it I'd probably have thrown a chair at their head.

Started on the pill when I was 17, and things were a lot better - still bad cramps, but only for a week, and I found some exercise helped. Not walking - it hurt to be upright - but occasional yoga, ballet exercises that I could do flat on my back (leg lifts and stuff, and weights), and swimming. Swimming was the single best thing I found for cramps and I'd recommend it to anyone who can use tampons or those instead cup things.

After 4 years on the pill I was violently raped and sustained a lot of scar tissue, and my periods went out of control, even with the pills, so I got a Mirena IUS, and miracle, no more periods. Slight spotting for two or three months, then nothing for five years. That ran out last year, and when I started getting ragey and sad this autumn (it's licensed for five years, but sometimes the hormones last a bit longer; I didn't get any periods till this summer) I got a new one put in. So far I'm not having a great reaction to it - cramps and heavy bleeding kept me in bed 21-22 hours a day for the first two weeks (so no exercise) and it's only this week that I've been able to buy groceries and stuff, but I have hope that it'll settle down like the last one.

To clarify, I am NOT suggesting Mirena to anyone - everyone's body reacts differently to stuff like that and I wouldn't try to push my reproductive choices on anyone.

In short I'd say if you CAN exercise, do. Particularly swimming. Light exercise seems to help a lot more people than it hurts. That said, everyone's different, particularly when it comes to menstrual cycles, and if it's too painful, stop.

After all, if exercise doesn't help, there's always hot water bottles and gin & tonic. *grins*

(Edited to remove my attempt at bold text.)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    wow. women do not shut off 1 week out of the month. unless you have a specific medical condition that requires medication preventing you from exertion or physical activity, why would you stop working out or eating correctly? good lord.
    copy/paste of my last reply:Did you know that women for generations were told to never work out during their periods?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I'm sorta surprised a doctor would give you a mirena given your history. Glad it's working for you.
    When you decide to remove it permanently, be ready for a huge hormone crash. I suspect you'll have one.
    (yes, I know mirena's hormones are advertised to be "local" to the uterus, but know that's not true, and believe that given what we know about the body it's odd that doctors believe that).
    Glad it's working for you. Your periods sound awful.

OP: APOLOGIES! I don't mean to hijack your thread.
    WARNING: this reply contains references to rape which may be a trigger for some.

It varies. I have PCOS and moderate endometriosis, and before I was on birth control I could barely walk during my period. They lasted between 3 weeks and 3 months, which was a nightmare in my teens. Trying to explain I'm stuck in bed with period pain to a mother who always got light cramps at worst was near impossible. And I got something called PMDD - Pre-Menstrual Dysphoric Disorder - which is like PMS on steroids, except it wasn't only just before, but sometimes during. Depression, crazy rages (where normally I'm one of the mellowest people you'll meet), suicidal thoughts, complete irrationality. So no exercising then. If someone suggested it I'd probably have thrown a chair at their head.

Started on the pill when I was 17, and things were a lot better - still bad cramps, but only for a week, and I found some exercise helped. Not walking - it hurt to be upright - but occasional yoga, ballet exercises that I could do flat on my back (leg lifts and stuff, and weights), and swimming. Swimming was the single best thing I found for cramps and I'd recommend it to anyone who can use tampons or those instead cup things.

After 4 years on the pill I was violently raped and sustained a lot of scar tissue, and my periods went out of control, even with the pills, so I got a Mirena IUS, and miracle, no more periods. Slight spotting for two or three months, then nothing for five years. That ran out last year, and when I started getting ragey and sad this autumn (it's licensed for five years, but sometimes the hormones last a bit longer; I didn't get any periods till this summer) I got a new one put in. So far I'm not having a great reaction to it - cramps and heavy bleeding kept me in bed 21-22 hours a day for the first two weeks (so no exercise) and it's only this week that I've been able to buy groceries and stuff, but I have hope that it'll settle down like the last one.

To clarify, I am NOT suggesting Mirena to anyone - everyone's body reacts differently to stuff like that and I wouldn't try to push my reproductive choices on anyone.

In short I'd say if you CAN exercise, do. Particularly swimming. Light exercise seems to help a lot more people than it hurts. That said, everyone's different, particularly when it comes to menstrual cycles, and if it's too painful, stop.

After all, if exercise doesn't help, there's always hot water bottles and gin & tonic. *grins*

(Edited to remove my attempt at bold text.)
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I find my periods are a lot kinder to me now that I've lost some weight. I'm not sure if it's related but I am rarely bothered by it. I haven't thought to pay attention as to whether my performance suffers. I don't think so though. My sister gets it REALLY bad so I guess this is one of those YMMV questions.
  • candykay0605
    candykay0605 Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    Yes I do! I ha e found that when I do work out the pain and cramps are so much less severe! If I don't I have horrendous cramps and pain, that I have to double up on midol! So I live by working out during that week
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Before I was put on the pill continuously for endometriosis, sumo squats were my pain relief for cramps. I discovered it during a belly dance lesson that I couldn't bear to miss. Everything feels better in my body if I keep moving.
  • Chellebear01
    Chellebear01 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    For me it really depends on the month. I mean that literally some months are very light and short with no issues while others I am in bed with a menstrual related migraine, cramps that won't let up and heavy bleeding. If you can do so there is no reason not to, however if you are not able or comfortable doing so then don't. Just make sure you get back into working out and eat well during your period. I have to watch my nutrition during that time because all I want is junk food.
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Thank goodness for non-stop BCP controlling this issue. On them because I've got the endo and take them non-stop on doctor's orders to prevent aunt flo from coming. Of course when I get my monthly regardless of taking the pills I just continue working out but may do lighter workouts/only cardio for a bit.