Replies

• Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    STOP EATING "CLEAN" : COUNT CALORIES

Fixed the title for OP
  • Noiram55
    Options
    Counting calories is a way to manage your caloric intake. If you eat more calories than you burn you gain weight. Simple as that. Makes no difference whether the food is "clean" or "dirty". From the standpoint of your health eating "clean" makes a huge difference.

Yes, at least it does for me. I learned long ago that, for me, WHAT I ate was just as important, if not more so, than how much I ate. No matter how many calories I consume, there is a major difference in how I feel depending on the kinds of food I consume.

Everyone's goal isn't just to lose weight. For some of us the quality of life, how our bodies actually feel, plays an enormously important role. It seems odd to me that there are so many people here who are antagonistic against this idea.
  • Noiram55
    Options
    Counting calories is a way to manage your caloric intake. If you eat more calories than you burn you gain weight. Simple as that. Makes no difference whether the food is "clean" or "dirty". From the standpoint of your health eating "clean" makes a huge difference.

Yes, at least it does for me. I learned long ago that, for me, WHAT I ate was just as important, if not more so, than how much I ate. No matter how many calories I consume, there is a major difference in how I feel depending on the kinds of food I consume.

Everyone's goal isn't just to lose weight. For some of us the quality of life, how our bodies actually feel, plays an enormously

important role. It seems odd to me that there are so many people here who are antagonistic against this idea.

I agree so much with you. I am so fed up with all the antagonistic people on here. How do they know what is best for everyone, as obviously they dont.
  • wingchungym
    Options
    Heaven forbid how much facebook and candy crush saga time am I losing with this bothersome calorie counting and paying attention to my health malarky!/ :wink:
  • LeanneGoingThin
    LeanneGoingThin Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    You can eat clean and still overeat. It is not some magic weight loss method. It's always cals in < cals out.
  • maddogobrien
    Options

Weight and bodyfat will have a more significant impact on your health markers.
    Definitely, but it's not either/or. Eating fruits, vegetables, lean meats, etc. [i.e. what most people mean being "eating clean"] is healthier than eating fast food, processed food and sugar.
  • maddogobrien
    Options
    I think most people really need to count calories for at least a while to relearn portion sizes, get an idea of how best to get in their macros, and get an idea of how much to eat/exercise to lose or maintain. I also think that it's kind of a transition to eating clean. If your calorie limit is 1200 and you blow it all on a Big Mac meal, you're going to be pretty hungry. So you learn to spread it out and fill up on fiber, protein, whole grains, etc.

I'm not the most faithful of loggers. For a long time I told myself I didn't need to, it was a hassle, it stressed me out and caused binges, etc. Well, that didn't get me anywhere. I'm sick of being fat and here I am, logging faithfully and doing things the MFP way. I still take a break here and there but as time goes on my portions get bigger and my food dirtier, so I need to check myself and come back to logging.

I eat pretty "clean" (I think? It depends on your definition) but I'd still like to eat out once in a while, have some chips or ice cream, etc. MFP works well for me because it's restrictive in calories, not what I eat. Like I said before, it behooves me to eat pretty clean but it still allows for a treat here and there. If I told myself I was never going to eat a burger again, I'd end up ordering up five of them tomorrow.

Plus I'm pretty sure that if I stop making my weekly "dirty" biscuits and gravy my marriage is going to be over.
    completely agree
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    This is probably already been said but I can't be bothered to read all the responses.

Why the heck, on a calorie counting site, would you ask about not counting calories?
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I think most people really need to count calories for at least a while to relearn portion sizes, get an idea of how best to get in their macros, and get an idea of how much to eat/exercise to lose or maintain. I also think that it's kind of a transition to eating clean. If your calorie limit is 1200 and you blow it all on a Big Mac meal, you're going to be pretty hungry. So you learn to spread it out and fill up on fiber, protein, whole grains, etc.

I'm not the most faithful of loggers. For a long time I told myself I didn't need to, it was a hassle, it stressed me out and caused binges, etc. Well, that didn't get me anywhere. I'm sick of being fat and here I am, logging faithfully and doing things the MFP way. I still take a break here and there but as time goes on my portions get bigger and my food dirtier, so I need to check myself and come back to logging.

I eat pretty "clean" (I think? It depends on your definition) but I'd still like to eat out once in a while, have some chips or ice cream, etc. MFP works well for me because it's restrictive in calories, not what I eat. Like I said before, it behooves me to eat pretty clean but it still allows for a treat here and there. If I told myself I was never going to eat a burger again, I'd end up ordering up five of them tomorrow.

Plus I'm pretty sure that if I stop making my weekly "dirty" biscuits and gravy my marriage is going to be over.
    completely agree

+2

I understand the school of thought though. If you primarily eat fruits, veggies and lean protein it's super duper hard to eat to much. So logging is pointless. *BUT* So many people do not actually eat *clean* or in the manner that would make calorie counting unnecessary. Esp in the beginning. I eat mostly clean. The amount of food I have to eat to reach any healthy level of caloric intake is ridiculous. If anything I log to ensure I eat *enough*. To each their own, of course. Whatever works for you personally. But I would tend to think that people have no idea how many calories are in the foods they eat (even the fruits and veggies) and have no idea how much of that food is a good portion or healthy amount to consume. Obtaining the knowledge on proper portions and eating is paramount to any healthy eating lifestyle.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Biggest problem with clean eating is undereating. If you feel full quicker, you'll eat less protein and calories. This is fine if you're only worried about weight. But it's all about bodyfat%.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    Eating clean means avoiding poppy seeds.
  • EnviousDan
    EnviousDan Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Counting calories doesn't need to be tedious. It shouldn't take you more than a few minutes a day to log your meals. I preplan each day the night before and often have foods I have had before so it's just a matter of checking off recent selections. In your case, you could do the same with Chinese meals that have similar calorie amounts. As for the clean eating, this is a good read on the topic. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/822501-halp-my-sandwich-isn-t-clean

And, being that you've had success using MFP and counting calories, keep going. When something works don't fix it. You lose weight from a calorie deficit, not by clean/dirty eating.

Sound stuff right here. Once I dedicated the time I realized that it only takes a few minutes each day to figure out what I ate and what I was going to eat the next day. And it doesn't take any more time than it did to order too much food at a restaurant or order myself a whole pizza.
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Brb, eating poptart
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Beer and bacon is clean yes? :drinker:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I understand the school of thought though. If you primarily eat fruits, veggies and lean protein it's super duper hard to eat to much. So logging is pointless. *BUT* So many people do not actually eat *clean* or in the manner that would make calorie counting unnecessary. Esp in the beginning. I eat mostly clean. The amount of food I have to eat to reach any healthy level of caloric intake is ridiculous. If anything I log to ensure I eat *enough*. To each their own, of course. Whatever works for you personally. But I would tend to think that people have no idea how many calories are in the foods they eat (even the fruits and veggies) and have no idea how much of that food is a good portion or healthy amount to consume. Obtaining the knowledge on proper portions and eating is paramount to any healthy eating lifestyle.

speak for yourself- I can eat 1500 calories in steak and veggies - sweet potato and salads in on setting with no qualms.

that's 200-300 shy of my food for the day.

it's absolutely possible to over eat eating "clean"

and it's 100% rubbish that tracking is to tedious. you're doing it wrong if it's tedious. I spend more time on the MFP community than I do tracking food- I think I pink it 5 times a day TOPS. Mostly because I log breakfast and lunch. Then I log my afternoon snack- then dinner and any things that wind up that weren't planned.

Seriously- it takes less than 10 minutes a day to log my food. 10 MAYBE if you include my workouts. it's just not THAT hard.

I'll absolutely concur it's not for everyone- I was VERY against it for a long time- and now I'm quiet happy doing it.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Beer and bacon is clean yes? :drinker:

lmfao I love you.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    MhzwmLO.gif
  • technobunny
    Options
    maybe, cook for yourself?
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    What is the antonym for concur?

Discur? Is that a word? Close enough.

OP, I discur with your conclusions. Im glad you have found something that works for you though, but I don't think things are happening for the reasons you think they are happening.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

Weight and bodyfat will have a more significant impact on your health markers.
    Definitely, but it's not either/or. Eating fruits, vegetables, lean meats, etc. [i.e. what most people mean being "eating clean"] is healthier than eating fast food, processed food and sugar.

I agree it's important to eat nutrient dense foods, but eating "clean and healthy" foods doesn't automatically make you "healthy".