• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    it's absolutely possible to over eat eating "clean"

Hell, yeah.
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I can understand what you are saying. Its difficult to estimate exactly the calories when you are not the one who is cooking. I try to tell my mom to put in as less amount of oil if possible when she is cooking and we have all switched to olive oil.
    I eat only one meal like this and rest is all adjustments. I prepare my own breakfast and dinner. I fit it into my diet and just keep a check on your weight(maybe once a week). I over estimate the calories in the home cooked meals to be on the safer side.
    At the end, its all about trial and error. Keep a check on your weight, don't over-obsess and you will eventually figure it out!
    Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I understand the school of thought though. If you primarily eat fruits, veggies and lean protein it's super duper hard to eat to much. So logging is pointless. *BUT* So many people do not actually eat *clean* or in the manner that would make calorie counting unnecessary. Esp in the beginning. I eat mostly clean. The amount of food I have to eat to reach any healthy level of caloric intake is ridiculous. If anything I log to ensure I eat *enough*. To each their own, of course. Whatever works for you personally. But I would tend to think that people have no idea how many calories are in the foods they eat (even the fruits and veggies) and have no idea how much of that food is a good portion or healthy amount to consume. Obtaining the knowledge on proper portions and eating is paramount to any healthy eating lifestyle.

speak for yourself- I can eat 1500 calories in steak and veggies - sweet potato and salads in on setting with no qualms.

that's 200-300 shy of my food for the day.

it's absolutely possible to over eat eating "clean"

and it's 100% rubbish that tracking is to tedious. you're doing it wrong if it's tedious. I spend more time on the MFP community than I do tracking food- I think I pink it 5 times a day TOPS. Mostly because I log breakfast and lunch. Then I log my afternoon snack- then dinner and any things that wind up that weren't planned.

Seriously- it takes less than 10 minutes a day to log my food. 10 MAYBE if you include my workouts. it's just not THAT hard.

I'll absolutely concur it's not for everyone- I was VERY against it for a long time- and now I'm quiet happy doing it.

Well yes. Of course if you eat steak and potatoes esp if they are not lean or small then you can reach that super easy. I never said it's not possible to over eat when eating clean. But so many people only *think* they are eating clean or lean meat or 1 portion when instead they are eating 2 or 4. I've honestly not eaten a steak and potato (since starting on here) that equals 1500 calories ever. At least not one I cooked myself and usually not one that I order when out. Of course I over estimate when I go out intentionally because you never know for sure what they cook it in. I didn't say it was tedious. I just said pointless if you eat super clean and cook in the same manner. Even *if* you over eat a few days a week. It'll likely balance out with the other days where you eat correctly, even without logging.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options

+2

I understand the school of thought though. If you primarily eat fruits, veggies and lean protein it's super duper hard to eat to much. So logging is pointless.

That's the crux of it, for me at least. I can not, and do not, gorge on baked chicken breasts, carrots, peas, and avocado. Eating in a certain way naturally helps regulate my intake, without ever feeling deprived or in need of calorie counting. So foods like that make up the bulk of my diet.

Now if I ever incorporated a lot of hi-GI foods back into my diet on a regular basis, I would definitely need to calorie count and log. I absolutely could not lose, or maintain, without strict logging and accountability if I made these food groups a regular part of my diet. Calorie counting, under those circumstances, would be paramount.
  • SwitzEngine
    SwitzEngine Posts: 3,418 Member
    Options
    I only live once and therefore eat everything. The key for me is moderation. I train hard and before I go out I train even harder that I can drink the beers. For me it's all about less intake compared to the amount you burn.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Personally i think its more about making the right choices rather than over thinking calorie consumption. For instance calorie counters sometimes might think like oh this biscuit is only 85 cals whereas this banana is 100 and therefore go for the biscuit because it keeps their calorie count lower. As long as your making a healthy choice is shouldnt be restricted by the amount of calories init but more about the nutritional value.

If your goal is to lose weight, it's all about the calories, and you must "be restricted by the amount of calories." It's great to pay attention to nutritional value too if that makes you feel better/healthier etc, but if you eat too many calories of the most nutritious food on the planet, you're going to gain weight. If you eat junk at a calorie deficit, you will lose weight.

Your body doesn't decide it won't convert excess calories into fat just because they happened to come from unprocessed foods.
  • Rai007
    Rai007 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    OP can you eat 3000 calories of clean foods and lose weight!! ( i wish that was true)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Well yes. Of course if you eat steak and potatoes esp if they are not lean or small then you can reach that super easy. I never said it's not possible to over eat when eating clean. But so many people only *think* they are eating clean or lean meat or 1 portion when instead they are eating 2 or 4. I've honestly not eaten a steak and potato (since starting on here) that equals 1500 calories ever. At least not one I cooked myself and usually not one that I order when out. Of course I over estimate when I go out intentionally because you never know for sure what they cook it in. I didn't say it was tedious. I just said pointless if you eat super clean and cook in the same manner. Even *if* you over eat a few days a week. It'll likely balance out with the other days where you eat correctly, even without logging.

what's the point of eating steak and potatoes if they are lean. I eat 40% fat in my diet- and fat makes things tasty. What' the point of a lean steak?

And seriously? 8 oz of skirt steak is around 500 calories. do know how much 8 oz is? not much. I can eat 20 in one sitting.

meat is one of the hearts of "clean" diets- there is nothing "unclean" about flat out steak and veggies with a potatoe- while potatoes are not paleo- we are talking 'clean' and clearly the definition of 'clean' varies- but the basic idea is that it's unprocessed food. I don't know what's more basic that steak and potatoes sweet or white and salad with grilled veggies.

You are totally contradicting yourself saying people who 'think' they are eating clean when they are eating 2 or 4 portions. eating clean has NOTHING to do with portion size. Calorie counting- tracking logging- however you do it- by volume- mass- unit- serving size- or just a generic I ate X, Y or Z is all about that.

it is ABSOLUTELY not pointless if you "eat clean" to track. I eat fairly 'clean' I cook all myself- and I don't eat fast food- my biggest 'guilty pleasure' is ice cream and beer.. .and trust me- even when I'm eating eggs bacon steak and veggies ONLY (which I have done) I can more than blow my 1700 budget.

Seriously- it's not pointless to track. The more specific your goal- the more interested you are in success- the more important this becomes. can you get buy with just chopping out stuff and cooking for yourself- sure-that's how I got started essentially... but push come to shove- when i wanted real results- I stuck with 'clean' food- and I tracked it. So I knew what I was getting and how much of it.

It's hard to hit your macros if you have no idea what you are consuming.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    even though counting calories may be an effective way of losing weight, the process is very tedious.

Not as tedious as trying to categorize every food on the planet as being "good/bad" or "clean/unclean."
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    Counting calories is not tediuos at all but if you find it tedious then don't do it? I mean, who cares?! Do what you like, and others will do the same. Seems easy enough to me.
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    In for nightly Chinese food.
  • Whoa_OItsMagic
    Options
    Troll thread is trolly!

trolls.jpg

Edit:
    But, before I decided to be mature, I already composed a parody . . .

I see ‘em creepin’,
    the food logs
    I know they’re trying to see if ya’ll are eating dirty
    Try to catch you eating dirty
    Try to catch you eating dirty
    Ya know, they think you’re eating dirty!

Okay, I'm done now. :tongue:

winner winner dirty chicken dinner!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I never said it's not possible to over eat when eating clean.

It is not only possible, it's damn easy to do. The various Paleo/Primal forums are full of frustrated people who thought they could stop paying attention to quantity if they only ate "quality".
  • jafabuNZ
    jafabuNZ Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Yeah I get sick of counting cals too sometimes and I don't always include my cals from veg or fruit - in WW they are all zero points (with the exception of avocado, coconuts, bananas limited to 2 a day). All I can say is - experiment. Stop counting cals for a month or two, eat clean as much as you prefer (because this is good for your inner body organs / less visceral fat) with the occasional treat so you don't go crazy with cravings, weigh yourself weekly to see if this has worked for you or not. Good luck.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    even though counting calories may be an effective way of losing weight, the process is very tedious.

Not as tedious as trying to categorize every food on the planet as being "good/bad" or "clean/unclean."

and what category does skittles fall under? i say mostly clean / good, except for the new green apple... those fall under the bad / unclean category... ok, carry on...
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Options

what's the point of eating steak and potatoes if they are lean. I eat 40% fat in my diet- and fat makes things tasty. What' the point of a lean steak?

And seriously? 8 oz of skirt steak is around 500 calories. do know how much 8 oz is? not much. I can eat 20 in one sitting.

meat is one of the hearts of "clean" diets- there is nothing "unclean" about flat out steak and veggies with a potatoe- while potatoes are not paleo- we are talking 'clean' and clearly the definition of 'clean' varies- but the basic idea is that it's unprocessed food. I don't know what's more basic that steak and potatoes sweet or white and salad with grilled veggies.

You are totally contradicting yourself saying people who 'think' they are eating clean when they are eating 2 or 4 portions. eating clean has NOTHING to do with portion size. Calorie counting- tracking logging- however you do it- by volume- mass- unit- serving size- or just a generic I ate X, Y or Z is all about that.

it is ABSOLUTELY not pointless if you "eat clean" to track. I eat fairly 'clean' I cook all myself- and I don't eat fast food- my biggest 'guilty pleasure' is ice cream and beer.. .and trust me- even when I'm eating eggs bacon steak and veggies ONLY (which I have done) I can more than blow my 1700 budget.

Seriously- it's not pointless to track. The more specific your goal- the more interested you are in success- the more important this becomes. can you get buy with just chopping out stuff and cooking for yourself- sure-that's how I got started essentially... but push come to shove- when i wanted real results- I stuck with 'clean' food- and I tracked it. So I knew what I was getting and how much of it.

You're creating a argument where there is none.. and mis reading what I wrote..

You like fatty steaks.. I do not. That's called a preference. I couldn't eat 20oz of steak, I've tried, it doesn't happen. I order the 6-8oz sizes and usually don't finish it. I can't eat a typical sized potato that a restaurant serves (and will swap it out if able for something else, have always been like that). I order veggies raw, usually have over half of it left. I order veggies raw because I don't like veggies cooked in anything or with anything sprayed on them. That's called being different. nothing more nothing less.

I didn't try to define clean versus unclean. You're doing that all on your own. I don't care what your definition of clean is. I don't know why anyone cares what someone else's definition of clean is. It's a diet a person chooses to follow containing the foods they choose it to contain. Just like every other diet out there.

I used the word *OR* in my sentence regarding eating clean and portion sizes. (i said OR they think they are eating 1 portion when instead they are eating 3 or 4 referring to calorie counting not clean eating)

I cook everyday. I drink beer. I eat protein bars. I'll go out to eat occasionally.I'll even have a cookie or two sometimes or cake. I'm not a "clean eating nazi" and I don't care if you eat a different way. I like my diet. It works for me. I'm glad yours works for you. I have a super hard time eating to my goal everyday. Tonight i didn't eat everything i planned to, so i'm short. I can't possibly eat another bite. My dinner plate was overflowing full. I even had chocolate dipped in peanut butter. still under. (because i don't eat enough healthy fats *sigh*) If I knew i'd eat enough everyday. i'd quit logging. But anytime I do that, I under-eat. So I can't. The only macros I have a hard time hitting is fat. I got my macros today and am still 300.+ calories under. So you can easily over eat I can easily under eat. Different people. Different struggles. Just because it is one way for you, does not mean it is that way for everyone.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

You're creating a argument where there is none.. and mis reading what I wrote..

You like fatty steaks.. I do not. That's called a preference. I couldn't eat 20oz of steak, I've tried, it doesn't happen. I order the 6-8oz sizes and usually don't finish it. I can't eat a typical sized potato that a restaurant serves (and will swap it out if able for something else, have always been like that). I order veggies raw, usually have over half of it left. I order veggies raw because I don't like veggies cooked in anything or with anything sprayed on them. That's called being different. nothing more nothing less.

I didn't try to define clean versus unclean. You're doing that all on your own. I don't care what your definition of clean is. I don't know why anyone cares what someone else's definition of clean is. It's a diet a person chooses to follow containing the foods they choose it to contain. Just like every other diet out there.

I used the word *OR* in my sentence regarding eating clean and portion sizes. (i said OR they think they are eating 1 portion when instead they are eating 3 or 4 referring to calorie counting not clean eating)

I cook everyday. I drink beer. I eat protein bars. I'll go out to eat occasionally.I'll even have a cookie or two sometimes or cake. I'm not a "clean eating nazi" and I don't care if you eat a different way. I like my diet. It works for me. I'm glad yours works for you. I have a super hard time eating to my goal everyday. Tonight i didn't eat everything i planned to, so i'm short. I can't possibly eat another bite. My dinner plate was overflowing full. I even had chocolate dipped in peanut butter. still under. (because i don't eat enough healthy fats *sigh*) If I knew i'd eat enough everyday. i'd quit logging. But anytime I do that, I under-eat. So I can't. The only macros I have a hard time hitting is fat. I got my macros today and am still 300.+ calories under. So you can easily over eat I can easily under eat. Different people. Different struggles. Just because it is one way for you, does not mean it is that way for everyone.

How did you hit your macros if you were under 300 calories? That doesnt make sense...
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    using bacon grease to sautee up veggies makes an excellent way to get that extra fat in there by the way.

As far as under eating and being stuffed- try eating high calorie foods- you know the delicious ones with more fat in them. eat less- have more calories.

if only we could all be so fortunate.

I could eat 2500 a day and still be hungry- no questions asked- I love food. LOL I have no idea how people who aren't bulking don't make their goals LOL- there are so many delicious high calorie foods to be had!

Hell even a carmel latte is like 300 calories- right there- dessert in a cup.

I'm not creating an argument where there is none- I'm just saying- you can *eat clean* (kind of a made up thing like toning) or you can just make sure you eat the calories and macros you need for you goal... and no- ultimately it doesn't matter what foods get you there. Am I happier with "clean" food? yeah- I don't like eating pizza every day- but I have no problem having it.. it isn't 'dirty' it's the same as any other food. fat- veggies- meat- starches. same as every other dinner I eat.
  • SchroederNJ
    SchroederNJ Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    'I want to make a lifestyle change rather than counting calories daily.'

Sounds like you are in the wrong place then.

"Sure this app is great if you want to lose weight quickly but maintaining weight requires you to eat clean."

This app doesn't make you lose weight quickly or prevent you from maintaining your weight. Improved diet and some exercise will do that. Both of which this app helps you track.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Options
    bacon grease does not agree with my tummy. Neither does a lot of processed foods. I don't like flavored coffee, or very many sugar heavy foods. I guess I grew up eating fresh picked veggies, eggs I raided the hen house for every morning and meat we raised ourselves. So i'm spoiled? I can eat pizza (i do).. but it doesn't make my tummy happy. My food is very delicious. Just because it's not high calorie and full of fat doesn't mean it's not delicious. And that's just it. You have no idea how people aren't able to reach their goals and I've assumed you've never had that problem. I do and i have. "just eat" is not helpful advice. Because I eat.. and I eat a lot. The only time i'm hungry is when I smell my delicious foods cooking.. and I can't wait to eat them.
    How did you hit your macros if you were under 300 calories? That doesn't make sense...

Well.. it makes sense or not. Before MFP added in my exercise calories I was with in a calorie or two of all of them, except calories themselves of course. I guess I eat healthy, low calorie high protein foods? idk. On track to do it again today. but today i'm close to my goal. I weight my food now so the number for dinner are subject to change.