What are the top 5 things you recomend to do to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• madhamey
    madhamey Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    1. Eat when your hungry

2. Stop when you start to feel full

3. Drink plenty of water

4. Log everything honestly

5. Enjoy the odd day of maintenance cals to stop you binging and don't feel guilty about it
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Location, Location, Location... oh wait, that's something else and that's only 3.

1. BMR < Your Caloric Intake < TDEE
    2. BMR < Your Caloric Intake < TDEE
    3. BMR < Your Caloric Intake < TDEE
    4. BMR < Your Caloric Intake < TDEE
    5. BMR < Your Caloric Intake < TDEE
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    eat less.

move more.

Really..thats all there is to it.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    1. Don't give up the foods you love
    2. Don't beat yourself up over a bad day
    3. Log all your food
    4. If you have a lot to lose, have small goals....every 10 pounds or so
    5. Take lots of pictures, wish I would have done that in the beginning and more often along the way.
  • chadraeder3
    Options
    My #1 tip would be to first change your mind once you do that your *kitten* will follow and without that change everything you do will be for nothing.

#2 would be to lean on a friend there will be some times that you will be on the edge and need a helping hand to pull you back from the brink.

#3 create steps or little goals, you cannot go from a Pinto to a Lamborghini in one step it will take many steps but you can get there also make realistic goals not everyone can be a Adonis or a Aphrodite there are limitations in your genetic code but you can be healthy without being those body types.

#4 eat well a vast majority of the time, there are times when you deserve a treat they are treats not staples remember that. Self control is a hard thing to master but the more you are in control the easier it will become.

#5 When all else fails go back to step 1. Your mind is the most powerful tool you have use it, your mind can take a sugar pill and make it real medicine, that is a powerful force if you think about it.
  • omsmom12
    omsmom12 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    1. Log everything you eat (even when you don't eat as planned).

2. Don't worry so much about daily totals as long as your weekly average is on target.

3. Plan your menu for the week and shop for the ingredients. (Sounds obvious but if I don't do it, it's my downfall.)

4. I log everything I plan to eat first thing in the morning and then do my best to stick with it. (If I deviate--say a coworker brings in a treat--I immediately log it in and then right away I adjust my plan for dinner or dessert.)

5. Have a plan to get back on track when you fail. You will fail. We are all human. Don't give up because you couldn't be perfect. Learn from your failure, forgive yourself and get right back on track like it never happened.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    1. Portion Control
    2. Stay consistent
    3. Exercise
    4. Eat a variety of foods, don't skip your fruits and veggies
    5. Don't diet. Learn how to eat for life!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I am down 42 lb from joining MFP in March of this year, but my highest weight (2008) was 87 lb higher than my current weight.

My top five:

1. MFP - LOG every day and completely honestly, trying as hard as you can to stick to the cals and macros. You will learn so much so quickly doing this and it keeps you on track amazingly well.
    2. Stay away from restaurant food and drinks (especially Starbucks, milkshakes, and fountain drinks). Once a week is more than enough to eat out. Especially steer clear of fast food and chain food.
    3. Eat less processed stuff and more real food.
    4. Have a serious breakfast. Not cereal or an apple. Start looking forward to cooking yourself breakfast even if it means getting up earlier to make coffee, spinach omelet, oatmeal, etc.
    5. Exercise/Move Your Body - even if it's ALL little stuff that seems like nothing, even a short walk or 15 minute of dusting & vacuuming burns more calories than sitting on the sofa.
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    1. Make friends here on MFP and talk to them! Whatever your friends and family say, people here will understand and support.
    2. Weigh and measure everything you eat and drink - seems fiddly at first, but once you're in the habit, it's easy.
    3. You will almost certainly hit walls from time to time - whether because you go overboard with your food one day, or your weight loss gets stuck. It happens to us all. Don't give up! Talk to everyone here for advice and encouragement and ideas and stick with it!
    4. No such thing as bad food - you can eat whatever you want - but in moderation - try to practice moderation and restraint to help you keep it off when you get there.
    5. You don't HAVE to exercise to lose weight. But if you do you'll be healthier and feel better. But if running or pumping iron aren't for you, that's fine. You can find other ways to be more active like walking, cycling, working in the garden - anything is better than nothing. Start gently and push yourself as it gets easier.
  • kell2116
    kell2116 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    1. Approach it as a lifestyle change as opposed to a weight loss plan. Weight loss is only one aspect of the positive changes that result from eating well and taking regular exercise.

2. Incorporate some group exercise into your life. Try different classes until you find something that makes you feel really good and is populated by like-minded people.

3. Experiment in the kitchen. Cook as often as you can, and try recipes that include ingredients you've never tried or cooked with before. See how many superfoods you can incorporate into your diet over the course of, say, a month.

4. Drink a glass of water before ingesting anything else in the day, and continue to drink lots of water throughout your day.

5. Notice the psychological changes within you that result from your healthier lifestyle choices. Once you start to feel more positive and are coping better with stress and life's little niggles, you won't want to go back to your less healthy ways.

:-)
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Hide your scale
    Drink Tons of WATER
    Be Patient
    Be Consistant
    Treat yourself once in a while
  • eatskinny
    Options
    1. drink LOTS of water and clear tea (green/jasmine/camomile etc)
    2. fill up of veggies and/or fruit at every meal
    3. chew slowly and drink whilst eating to fill up faster
    4. walk as much as possible-it really raises your metabolism over time
    5. set planned cheat meals and stick to them in order not to cheat
    :)
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    bump, I need to get myself reigned in
  • michellechawner
    Options
    1. Move your *kitten*. You'll feel better. Even if it's just 5 minutes at first, slowly work your way up.
    2. DRINK WATER
    3. Go big, or go home. Do your workouts, and don't skimp. You're only cheating yourself in the end.
    4. Treat yourself once in a while. I lost weight eating macaroni, pizza, and drinking wine. Don't drive yourself crazy with cutting anything out.
    5. Weigh and Measure every damn piece of food - you'll be surprised to learn what a serving size is, compared to what you used to think was a serving size! Beware - one box/bottle does NOT equal one serving, in most cases!
  • mikeykhan2003
    Options
    1. Drink plenty of water.
    2. Sleep 7+ hours a night.
    3. Move more.
    4. Eat less.
    5. Do not give up.
  • jabby220
    Options
    great stuff-- made me ready for the gym tonight
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    1. Be honest with the reasons why you're on this path. I mean REAL honest. It might not be enough.
    2. Log your food consistently and honestly.
    3. Make a plan - a plan for success and a plan for failure. You're going to have off days - plan for it.
    4. Don't listen to too many other people about what you should be eating or doing - find something that works for you and go for it.
    5. Take responsibility for yourself and CHOOSE to get healthy.
  • cjcmrn
    cjcmrn Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    bump!!
    everyones comments are awesome, every person on MFP needs to read this
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    1. Be consistent with your plan. Stay focused on your goals.
    2. Don't beat yourself up when you do have a slip. It's easy to get down about "messing up" and want to throw in the towel.
    3. Keep moving - find an activity that you like to do so that "exercise" is not synonymous with "work."
    4. Eat your fruits and veggies!
    5. Track your intake and measure. I was shocked when I realized how poor I was at eyeballing portions.
  • beaches222
    beaches222 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    bump