What are the top 5 things you recomend to do to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    1. Do not indulge in self loathing or guilt. If you fall off the wagon, get right back on and continue.
    2. Do not restrict certain food groups. I believe in anything in moderation.
    3. Eat less
    4. Move more
    5. Never quit.
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Hello. I'm not sure I have much input now but I am stuck in a rutt and don't have any support at this time. I need to know why I am no0 loosing, hardly eating, not cheating on my diet and not loosing. taking way tool long to loose. what do I need to do. help ..no one replies to me.need support here

Well, when you say "no one replies to me" you've only made three posts and I can only see two of them. Why don't you start your own thread asking for MFP friends? And/or join a group or two to make more friends?

And I think people will need a little more information to go on to be able to help you. The usual stuff, how much you're aiming to lose, share your diary - at least with a few friends if not public, how long you've been at it, how long you've been stuck, what activity or exericise you're doing etc.
  • teenytinybikini
    teenytinybikini Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    1. Appreciate your body for what it does for you.
    2. Don't become a diet bore, spend time doing things you love that don't involve food.
    3. Eat mindfully (savour every mouthful and don't have any distractions) - this is a proven way to make you eat less.
    4. Exercise (in any form)
    5. Get rid of stress by any means - massage, yoga, meditation, screaming, punching a bag
  • Welshgem84
    Welshgem84 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    this has been really helpful to keep me motivated! I suppose my top 5 would be similar:

1. Have short term goals, wherther it be buying that dress or top you want in a smaller size and keeping it visible to remind you or a KG on the scale, keep it simple yet specific, measurable, attainable, relevant and time-bound.

2. To find an exercise you enjoy, yes running on a tredmill might be for some people but for others its a Zuma class. When you have found something you like it wont feel so much like a chore.

3. Have a friend whether it be on MFP or in the 'real' world to talk to, who you can tell your fears but your achievemetns too as well. I have a best friend who has been attempting to lose weight too and when I have a bad day he makes me feel better and vice versa, I couldnt of done it without him.

4. If like me you love clothes, I have slowly moved out everything that doesnt fit me out of my wardrobe and into black bags to go to a charity shop, the amount I have now (10 bags) makes me feel amazing, as does treating myself once a month to a new outfit!

5. Allow yourself a break sometimes, dont be so hard on yourself, each of us are probably our own worse critics. If I have that extra glass of wine I shouldnt of or If I want a cupcake (as long as it isnt everyday) its ok. I have found that sometimes I will reduce my calorie intake during the week if I know I have a birthday or something on the weekend so I dont have to be 'so' good. guess this point is trying to say dont alienate yourself for your diet!
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    bump
  • nataliejogallo
    nataliejogallo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    well , Im doing all of this , hope to loose the last 40 lbs.. I have lost 30 since January , but came to a stand still ... decided to try myfitnesspal... I like it
  • Rosie4732
    Rosie4732 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    This is what worked for me:

1. Move more

2. Drink more water

3. Eat at a calorie level thats suitable for your activity etc - and not where you will be starving yourself/slowing your metabolism

4. Cut out crap from your diet even if you can fit it into your calorie allowance - including alcohol, 'diet' anything, refined sugar, artificial sweetners, bad fats (but not good fats) and simple white carbs

5. BUT - Remember - one bad day wont make you fat - just as one good day wont make you thin ;)
  • EnviousDan
    EnviousDan Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    1. Stick to a plan. Results do not come in one week.
    2. If you mess up do not "punish yourself." You'll end up abandoning it all completely.
    3. You are not dieting. Dieting is dumb and negative. Dieting implies punishment and that you "stop" at some point. You are trying to learn a more healthy lifestyle.
    4. Exercise.
    5. Don't sweat the small stuff. One small piece of cake and your best friend's wedding isn't the end of the world. Just be consistent overall.
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    1. Research first by becoming familiar with important yet accurate fitness and nutritional definitions and topics. Find free, peer-reviewed journals that address changes in human physiology and metabolism as a result of various exercise and diet methods during a fat loss intervention. Pay extensive attention to: energy balance equation (part of which covers TDEE); adaptive thermogenesis (metabolic adaptations which occur as a result of chronic calorie restriction that include, but not limited to, observed decrease in total energy expenditure [TDEE] as well as respective decrease/increase in concentration values of key hormones which regulate energy balance, leptin and ghrelin; and the impact and benefits of effective resistance training and aerobic activity regarding fat loss with relative maintenance of fat-free mass.
    2. Design a fat loss intervention that closely mirrors how you intend to eat and exercise during maintenance. The closer it is, the less variables need adjusting, the more compliant you'll be and the easier it will be to transition into maintenance. When selecting exercise, include modes that provide the most benefit to goals in addition to something you'd enjoy.
    3. Before initiating a diet, weigh and log all food intake to estimate actual TDEE relative to planned activity level. If you are adding or increasing exercise, adjust calories until relative weight homeostasis is reached. This will represent actual TDEE - thus providing a more accurate baseline to which you can establish the proper deficit suitable for you instead of some arbitrary deficit estimate.
    4. Choose the appropriate deficit according to degree of adiposity - the less fat mass, the smaller the deficit. Continue with said deficit until certain pre-determined weight loss/body composition milestones have been reached. In other words, as fat mass lessens, reduce the deficit by introducing more calories. By the time you're within 15 lbs of desired weight goal, caloric intake should be no greater than 250-300 calories below adjusted maintenance. This decreasing of the deficit as fat mass lessens makes the transition into maintenance easier with less negative impact on adjusted TDEE and metabolic hormones.
    5. Reassess periodically using various measurements (scale weight, girth circumference, body fat, etc.), be patient and realistic.

WOW! I have read many of your posts and your knowledge base is impressive.

Can you provide some recommended reading material (and omg please do not say RWLW).
  • NanzyBoek
    NanzyBoek Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    1. Pre-plan meals and make lots. Portioning out left overs for later in the week or freezer.
    2. Get at least 10,000 steps in a day, doing whatever you enjoy.
    3. Log all your food.
    4. Eat 5-6 times a day, try for a complex carb and protein at ever mini meal.
    5. Cut out the booze, pop, and sugar
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Pretty good stuff guys n gals as I expected!

Mine:

1) Be patient
    2) Drink as much water as you feel comfortable drinking
    3) Be honest when logging
    4) Exercise 2-4 days a week
    5) Listen to EVERYONE and adjust it to your lifestyle.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    1. Do not just cut everything, join a gym, throw out all the 'bad' food. Get started SLOWLY. Make small changes every week to improve the things that you need to improve.

2. LOG all your foods for at least a week BEFORE you start cutting anything. This will give you an idea where how many calories you really eat ( your maintenance calories) and thus you can establish a safe cut depending upon how much weight you have to lose. This is an incredibly useful tool to have instead of relying on MFP to guess for you.

3. Find an activity you like to do. It does not matter what that activity is as long as it gets you moving more than you were before. Build on the intensity and duration as you improve.

4. Log everything and don't let the bad days get you down. We all have bad days, no one is going to be perfect all the time (especially when just starting out)

5. Find what works for you. Don't let anyone else dictate your plan. YOU are the one who has to do it so it better be something you can deal with. Don't be brainwashed into thinking there is only one way to lose weight and if you don't do (insert fad of the week) you will never be able to lose weight.

There are so many things..finding 5 was really hard!
  • danofthedead1979
    danofthedead1979 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    1. Figure out a sensible calorie deficit and stick to it
    2. Keep adjusting this deficit dependant on your current weight
    3. Don't deny too much of the food/drink you like
    4. Avoid food/drink that you know will trigger snacking/bingeing
    5. Log your food, its really a great tool in controlling your diet. Also educates you along the way.
  • hellohappycarla
    hellohappycarla Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Bookmarking this thread. Super helpful and informative. Bump to all of you and thank you for all this!
  • MensEtSalvere2013
    MensEtSalvere2013 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    WOW, all so helpful! I did not expect my thread to be this popular! I hope everyone has a great day, and remember (Mens Et Salvere) Mind over body in Latin :)
  • Kabiti
    Kabiti Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    This may be bad advice (re: working out), but it is working very well for me. I'm on step 4.

1. Fix the mental problem first. Everyone obese has one... fixing it can be difficult, but it is practically essential.
    2. Eat less. Record everything. Get into a routine with BOTH.
    3. Don't work out (intensely). Intense workouts increase my metabolism ... and hunger ... dramatically.
    4. Once you've reached a routine in dieting and the amount you eat, add exercise *slowly*
    5. Balance your calories & exercise. Working out more doesn't mean eating (much) more.

Of these, #1 is by far the most important. I think 99% of weight loss is your state of mind. I was being blocked by issues that, when I came out about them and disassociated them from my weight and health problems, almost instantly (over 4 weeks) lost me 20 lbs. At 2 months I'm at almost 30 lbs lost and 15-35 lb left to go (to hit my range... 180 is at the center of my BMI "normal" weight range).

My mental block was a big one... which, in a way, made it easy to find and hard to acknowledge.
  • TheLaser
    TheLaser Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    bump
  • citygirl04
    citygirl04 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Don't over think everything and use common sense.
  • harphy
    harphy Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I forgot one. Ok, many of them, but this one is important!

6. Make a habit and ALWAYS read food labels! Beside usefull macros they have - or should have - imformation about 1 recommendable portion. I thought I could eat a whole bag of nuts because they are so healthy etc. No go, just the size of your fist. 200 g bag is for whole week.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    bump for later