Best pasta substitute ever!

Options

Replies

• Phildog47
    Phildog47 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I will never understand why people spend so much time creating weird stuff from cauliflower, broccoli, etc. For me, there is no substitute for potatoes, pasta and pizza crust. Glad you tried something and enjoyed it.

Because you're NOT 40 yet... as you get older, your body slows down, and a couple of slices of pizza and beer can add 5 lbs.
  • gwenr
    gwenr Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Did you cook the broccoli slaw like pasta in boiling water?

I usually sautee it or if I'm being extra lazy, I pop it in the microwave. You could, of course, eat it raw too. But it's a vegetable, not real "pasta."

Great! Thanks for responding.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    How do you cook the shredded zucchini? I have tons of it from the garden.
    I will never understand why people spend so much time creating weird stuff from cauliflower, broccoli, etc. For me, there is no substitute for potatoes, pasta and pizza crust. Glad you tried something and enjoyed it.

Because of fear mongering and the idea that cutting out foods in which you have no intolerance or allergy to is a good idea

Or because for some people, pasta (or pizza) triggers binges. I don't know about the OP, but that's definitely the case for me. I used to eat big bowls of pasta for dinner every night. Then I got fat. So now I sometimes portion it out and have one serving, but other days, I'd rather use the calories elsewhere. Besides, broccoli slaw is healthy.

Another great option is zucchini "pasta" - just use a regular or julienne peeler to slice the zucchini.

Usually I saute it with a bit of olive oil or coconut oil (or nothing) and then add in whatever other veggies and spices, depending on the sauce I'm using. (To all those who are now going to call me out claiming that I'm simply making stir-fried veggies, you are not wrong. But the long ribbons of zucchini mimic pasta enough to satisfy my craving without the added calories that I simply don't have/want.)
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

Because you're NOT 40 yet... as you get older, your body slows down, and a couple of slices of pizza and beer can add 5 lbs.

Utter nonsense. :noway:

There are plenty of fabulous 40+ peeps on this site who've lost weight and maintained eating pasta, pizza and drinking beer.
  • merecard
    merecard Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I like that spaghetti squash, but we also don't make "regular" pasta very much. I LOVE pasta! But we use Brown Rice Pasta. I still will make regular for my husband and for my son, but for me, I make the brown rice pasta and I don't feel guilty about it. You do have to wash it off after it's cooked with cold water, but put some HOT sauce on it, and there really is no difference. And it cooks quickly and it's not teeny tiny, so you feel like you are eating normal pasta.

There is nothing wrong with eating "real pasta" I just find for myself that I have to REALLY work off those calories, my body LOVES them and wants to hang onto them forever and ever.

And if you are like me and have a large and aggressive weight loss goal, it's much easier to make things work than to add way more minutes of work-out time to your already crammed day.

But if it's something that you like, eat it. Just eat less and have your salad first and all those great tricks like actually measuring the amount that you put on your plate.

But if you can't live without pasta, then don't. Plain and simple. Find a good substitute or cut way down on the amount that you eat. Make it special for yourself. Good luck!!
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Oh.

:noway:

Well you heard it here first folks, when you hit 40 some magical change happens in all people that makes it so pizza and beer make you somehow put on 5 pounds of weight. Might as well just give up the very moment you turn 40.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options

Not quite. I am pretty sure I will still be in control of my own decisions at 40. Pizza and beer aren't going to add 5 pounds when my calories are in check.
  • merecard
    merecard Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with trying something NEW either! I am on this site because of what I USED to eat and HOW I used to eat. Finding new and amazing ideas and recipes keeps it interesting and keeps me motivated and keeps my family healthy as well! Good Luck! Enjoy Food! Beautiful healthy Food! ;)
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Lies. The best substitute for pasta is...

Pasta.
  • atb0821
    atb0821 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Oh noes!!! I need more than 6 more years of pizza and beer while being able to maintain. Stupid age 40!
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I try to stay away from breads and pasta due to being insulin resistant. I'm trying to manage this through my diet so I don't have to be on meds the rest of my life. So yes, there's nothing wrong with rice, bread and pasta for most people, but I can't eat it often. It's ok for people to look for new ways to eat veggies anyway. So....

Yes to spaghetti squash. I really like it! Also anyone who likes to make veggie noodles, consider investing in one of these: http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3zsv0Ch2I1qe601o.gif. I use mine almost daily. Easy to use, easy to clean. I can make enough zucchini noodles for my family of 7 in about 5 minutes.
  • suethehippo
    suethehippo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    When someone gets a minute can they actually explain how to prepare broccoli slaw? I live in the UK and we cannot get spaghetti squash so I would really like to know more.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why if someone has no problem eating pasta, why they'd even click on this thread. It's like if I asked for advice on improving my run time and you clicked on the thread to tell me you hate running. Why would you think I or anyone else cares?

Anyway, OP, thanks for the thread. I haven't tried broccoli slaw but sounds like a good option when I'd like something simple and pasta-like and don't feel like being bloated and gassy like I get after eating wheat pasta. I do love spaghetti squash...
  • cocotreasure
    cocotreasure Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I was introduced to MIRACLE NOODLE and haven't looked back! They are 0 carbs 0 Fat 0 sugar and best of all, whatever you cook them with is what they taste like, so if you make spaghetti, they take on those flavors! Amazing!

no i dont sell them, im not a representative, i just love them!

Try them out, if you dont like them, they give you your money back!
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    you gotta try spegetti squash... once you try that... you will never eat spegetti again!

I tied it and threw it away. I couldn't handle the odd crunchy texture.
  • Achrya
    Options
    I don't understand why if someone has no problem eating pasta, why they'd even click on this thread. It's like if I asked for advice on improving my run time and you clicked on the thread to tell me you hate running. Why would you think I or anyone else cares?

Anyway, OP, thanks for the thread. I haven't tried broccoli slaw but sounds like a good option when I'd like something simple and pasta-like and don't feel like being bloated and gassy like I get after eating wheat pasta. I do love spaghetti squash...

I'm always interested in the oddities of my fellow man.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options

Because this is MFP and that's what people do on the forums. I bet if you did post a thread asking for advice on improving your run time, you'd get a bazillion responses telling you to "lift heavy" and "stop running." (I'm sure I'll be banned by the moderators for saying that...)

By the way, have you tried rice pasta? That's usually my go-to pasta when I am eating "real" pasta - all the yumminess minus the bloat of wheat pasta. (Of course, there's nothing wrong with using a veggie substitute...)
  • Achrya
    Options

Because this is MFP and that's what people do on the forums. I bet if you did post a thread asking for advice on improving your run time, you'd get a bazillion responses telling you to "lift heavy" and "stop running." (I'm sure I'll be banned by the moderators for saying that...)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1014475-improving-run-time-improving-run-distance?hl=Improve+run+time&page=2

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/953614-improve-breathing-to-improve-running-speed?hl=Improve+run+time#posts-14551368

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/935635-improving-my-long-distance-running-time-bf?hl=Improve+run+time#posts-14229581

Not a single 'lift heavy' 'stop running' at all.

Tsk. Tsk.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1014475-improving-run-time-improving-run-distance?hl=Improve+run+time&page=2

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/953614-improve-breathing-to-improve-running-speed?hl=Improve+run+time#posts-14551368

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/935635-improving-my-long-distance-running-time-bf?hl=Improve+run+time#posts-14229581

Not a single 'lift heavy' 'stop running' at all.

Tsk. Tsk.

Stop running.

There, better?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I always like trying new things- that's why I look. To be fair- there is a point where I'm not substituting out anything- if I want it- I eat it. But I DO like trying new things.

I DO like spaghetti squash- and I will eat it. Regularly actually. But I tried cauliflower rice- hated it- now I just eat stir fry without rice- it's easier and I'm happy- I eat rice with my sushi and call it a day.

I rarely eat pasta- but if I really want it- I'm going to eat it- like red velvet- I'm not making fake ones any more- I'd rather just eat the real thing.

But I'm game to try new things. I tried zucchini pasta as well- it was okay- was useless as pasta- fortunately I LOVE zucchini so it was tasty anyway but I it was gross as pasta- and i'll never do that again- I prefer sauteed in bacon grease and calling it a day!

That being said- i absolutely will NOT be trying broccoli slaw- that sounds foul. But good luck to you OP!!!! LOL