Best pasta substitute ever!

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I will never understand why people spend so much time creating weird stuff from cauliflower, broccoli, etc. For me, there is no substitute for potatoes, pasta and pizza crust. Glad you tried something and enjoyed it.

Because you're NOT 40 yet... as you get older, your body slows down, and a couple of slices of pizza and beer can add 5 lbs.

Oh.

:noway:

Well you heard it here first folks, when you hit 40 some magical change happens in all people that makes it so pizza and beer make you somehow put on 5 pounds of weight. Might as well just give up the very moment you turn 40.

right, everyone knows that when you turn 40 you have to take the calories in your food and multiply by two...its called 40's factoring metabolism or FFM for short...
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Real pasta is really high in carbs and a good way to max out your calories very quickly. Rice is the same way. Surprisingly high in calories.

Surprising to who, exactly?
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I have been doing this for ages!!!! it is really good. And yes--boil it semi soft and use like spaghetti. It even works good in a FAKE bake ziti dish. I use the cauliflower pizza crust for the pizzas and cheesy garlic sticks and that is great too. HOWEVER the cauliflower alfredo sauce needs some works. And the mini pizzas with the grilled portobella mushrooms is "ok"........ You get have to look around and play with your food a bit. But clean eating can be rather fun and inventive.
  • shannashannabobana
    Options
    you gotta try spegetti squash... once you try that... you will never eat spegetti again!

Spaghetti squash is one of my favorite vegetables. It tastes nothing at all like pasta. When I want pasta, I still eat pasta.
    Yeah, I've always been curious about that recommendation. Isn't it too sweet??

Likewise, I think broccoli would be too crunchy. I am quite curious about zucchini pasta, specifically the zucchini lasagna I saw a recipe for the other day! That sounds like it might be good, especially if you turned it into a vegetarian lasagna with chard and a white sauce or maybe that with added sausage.
    I didn't say there was anything wrong with carbs, I just said they tend to be higher in calories than you might expect.
    Truth! Compare a bowl of pasta cal wise to nice steak and see satiated you feel after the steak vs. the pasta.
  • mcflat29
    mcflat29 Posts: 2,159 Member
    Options

Yeah, I've always been curious about that recommendation. Isn't it too sweet??

Don't use as sweet a spaghetti sauce with the squash. We make ours from scratch, less sugar than store bought and a better combination with the squash. I've also had it with a lemon garlic sauce. The sauce was really "light" but the tartness of the lemon paired and played well with the squash.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    one serving of pasta has about 100 cals and 20 grams of carbs

one serving brown rice 172 cals and 32 grams of carbs...

that is hardly blowing out your daily budget of cals or carbs...
  • shannashannabobana
    Options
    I've also had it with a lemon garlic sauce. The sauce was really "light" but the tartness of the lemon paired and played well with the squash.
    Interesting!
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    When someone gets a minute can they actually explain how to prepare broccoli slaw? I live in the UK and we cannot get spaghetti squash so I would really like to know more.

Check the bagged salad area of your market to see if they sell broccoli slaw. If they don't, what you need are thick fresh broccoli STEMS, which you can julienne or -- better yet -- shred. I was surprised to find that peeled raw broccoli stems are themselves quite a tasty veggie snack (if you've ever tried raw kohlrabi, it's a lot like that).

I'm skeptical of substituting cooked broccoli slaw for pasta, but I do like it raw as a salad base (i.e., an actual slaw), which I toss with slivered almonds, dried cherries, and a little low-fat dressing I make of vinegar, yogurt, and honey.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options

True. And some people have trouble only having one serving and therefore choose to supplement it or swap it completely with other very healthy foods like vegetables. But I think you knew that already.
  • teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    If you find spaghetti squash is too sweet, you can toss it in a bit of flavored olive oil (mmm, roasted garlic is delish!)...We like it on occasion, but still working on it.

For us, wherever I can fit in more veggies, the better. My husband is really picky, but he is trying to change that. We still have pasta, but if broccoli slaw or spaghetti squash is an acceptable substitute, then that's a good thing.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    When someone gets a minute can they actually explain how to prepare broccoli slaw? I live in the UK and we cannot get spaghetti squash so I would really like to know more.

Check the bagged salad area of your market to see if they sell broccoli slaw. If they don't, what you need are thick fresh broccoli STEMS, which you can julienne or -- better yet -- shred. I was surprised to find that peeled raw broccoli stems are themselves quite a tasty veggie snack (if you've ever tried raw kohlrabi, it's a lot like that).

I'm skeptical of substituting cooked broccoli slaw for pasta, but I do like it raw as a salad base (i.e., an actual slaw), which I toss with slivered almonds, dried cherries, and a little low-fat dressing I make of vinegar, yogurt, and honey.

Yeah, I'm actually a big fan of broccoli slaw. I like mine with a little vinaigrette, chicken breast/shrimp, cherry tomatoes, diced hard boiled egg, and granny smith apples. Maybe a little bacon on top for a nice salty undertone.

And now I want broccoli slaw. Nomnom
  • mcflat29
    Options
    Yeah, I'm actually a big fan of broccoli slaw. I like mine with a little vinaigrette, chicken breast/shrimp, cherry tomatoes, diced hard boiled egg, and granny smith apples. Maybe a little bacon on top for a nice salty undertone.

And now I want broccoli slaw. Nomnom

Oh snap, now my belly just rumbled... That sounds really really good...
  • mcflat29
    Options
    I've also had it with a lemon garlic sauce. The sauce was really "light" but the tartness of the lemon paired and played well with the squash.
    Interesting!

If only the chef would have shared the recipe for the sauce! I think it was olive oil, lemon zest and juice, and garlic...

I just called my Dad and he still won't give me the recipe... :grumble:
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why if someone has no problem eating pasta, why they'd even click on this thread. It's like if I asked for advice on improving my run time and you clicked on the thread to tell me you hate running. Why would you think I or anyone else cares?

Anyway, OP, thanks for the thread. I haven't tried broccoli slaw but sounds like a good option when I'd like something simple and pasta-like and don't feel like being bloated and gassy like I get after eating wheat pasta. I do love spaghetti squash...

It's because those people are trolling for easy prey. They have hundreds of posts under their belt, so they're well aware of WHY some people will avoid certain foods but they're looking for a come up....any opportunity to put someone down so they can make themselves feel better. Ignore with impunity :laugh:
  • ndj1979
    Options

Huh? A standard portion of pasta is two dry ounces or 56 grams--which is 200-210 calories.

that is almas whole wheat linguine...look it up if you doubt me..
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I don't understand why if someone has no problem eating pasta, why they'd even click on this thread. It's like if I asked for advice on improving my run time and you clicked on the thread to tell me you hate running. Why would you think I or anyone else cares?

Anyway, OP, thanks for the thread. I haven't tried broccoli slaw but sounds like a good option when I'd like something simple and pasta-like and don't feel like being bloated and gassy like I get after eating wheat pasta. I do love spaghetti squash...

It's because those people are trolling for easy prey. They have hundreds of posts under their belt, so they're well aware of WHY some people will avoid certain foods but they're looking for a come up....any opportunity to put someone down so they can make themselves feel better. Ignore with impunity :laugh:

I don't see how it is putting anyone down to try and spread a little knowledge. You can eat carbs, lose weight, and maintain your loss...you don't need to search out substitutes to every food...

Everyone thinks Carbs are some boogeyman that is hiding under the bed and will immediately increase your weight and body fat just by looking at it ...the "carbs are bad" angle is a myth .
  • iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Real pasta is really high in carbs and a good way to max out your calories very quickly. Rice is the same way. Surprisingly high in calories.

A serving of brown rice is 150 calories-add in some mushrooms and veggies and you have a lunch/supper for around 200 calories. Not exactly a high calorie meal :huh:
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options

I don't see how it is putting anyone down to try and spread a little knowledge. You can eat carbs, lose weight, and maintain your loss...you don't need to search out substitutes to every food...

Everyone thinks Carbs are some boogeyman that is hiding under the bed and will immediately increase your weight and body fat just by looking at it ...the "carbs are bad" angle is a myth .

k9dh7n.gif
  • rbn_held
    rbn_held Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I like to prepare spaghetti squash as a side dish mixed with butter and cheese. I tried it once with pasta sauce once and it was disgusting. I give up trying to find a substitute for pasta. Now I just eat the real thing.
  • teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    You can try my recipe for lemon garlic sauce, if you like...

4T olive oil (real butter is wonderful in this, if you have the calories to spare for it)
    4 garlic cloves, minced
    juice of 2 lemons

Heat olive oil and saute garlic for 1 minute. Add lemon juice and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
    Season with salt and pepper to taste.