survey:"junk" what foods do u consider to be junk food?

Options

Replies

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Okra
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Stuff with numerous ingredients that are difficult to pronounce. Stuff that can live on inside a package for many months... Even years.

What you eat something that was made up of the below?

Alpha-Linolenic-Acid, Asparagine, D-Categin, Isoqurctrin, Hyperoside, Ferulic-Acid, Farnesene, Neoxathin, Phosphatidyl-Choline, Reynoutrin, Sinapic-Acid, Caffeic-Acid, Chlorogenic-Acid, P-Hydroxy-Benzoic-Acid, P-Coumaric-Acid, Avicularin, Lutein, Quercitin, Rutin, Ursolic-Acid, Protocatechuic-Acid, Silver, Tryptophan, Threonine, Isoleucine, Leucine, Lycine, Methionine, Cystine, Phenylalanine, Tyrosine, Valine, Argenine, Histidine, Alanine, Aspartic Acid, Glutamic Acid, Glycine, Proline, and Serine
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Things that are basically all carbs and little to no vitamins, minerals, proteins. Things that are high in bad fats and/or high in added sugars. Or stuff with a ton of preservatives and processes added.
    Still has its' place though, for the noms.
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Don't really consider anything to be 'junk' as such. I don't eat lollies (sugary candy) that much, but only because I don't really like them.

My kid's school has been on a 'good' food/'bad' food hype this year which is driving me mental. The kids come home and say "oh we can't have that, it has fat/sugar/blah blah in it". The ONLY things I don't allow are the things they are actually allergic to, and I limit artificial colours and the nastier preservatives, because they cause my kids to have reactions. Hell, even I react to them.

So I taught them about how protein, fat, carbs etc work and now they will happily chow down on anything, although they like high protein stuff best because it helps your muscles :wink: They are both extremely active and athletic kids, so they need to eat all the food they can get :smile:
  • gowrirao81
    gowrirao81 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Anything with artificial flavours, colours and preservatives. Sadly, a lot falls into this category by my definition.
  • lsmsrbls
    lsmsrbls Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    made and packaged in a factory...? So... peanut butter? Olive oil? Protein powder?

If you were referencing my comment, you apparently stopped reading too soon. My peanut butter and olive oil wouldn't qualify as junk food under my definition.

I don't use protein powder, but some would qualify and some wouldn't.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Rice.

I just can't justify those carbs in place of carbs I'd actually enjoy.
  • lsmsrbls
    lsmsrbls Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Pretty much any food prepared in a factory that comes in a box or a bag and doesn't require refrigeration and has more than 2 ingredients.

How would you feel about an apple that had been put in a cardboard box by assembly line workers?

Since that would only have one ingredient, it wouldn't count as junk food under my definition.
    What about mixed nuts or trail mixes? I dont think of all of those as junk food.

I agree with you, some of those shouldn't count. You found a limitation of my model. : )
  • lilacinfinity
    lilacinfinity Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    made and packaged in a factory...? So... peanut butter? Olive oil? Protein powder?

If you were referencing my comment, you apparently stopped reading too soon. My peanut butter and olive oil wouldn't qualify as junk food under my definition.

I don't use protein powder, but some would qualify and some wouldn't.

I wasn't
  • MerlinWilliams
    MerlinWilliams Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Pretty much any food prepared in a factory that comes in a box or a bag and doesn't require refrigeration and has more than 2 ingredients.

This!
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Hard to define but I know it when I see it.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Greasy burgers from fast food places, other greasy foods, excessive cookies and candy.
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Lots of calories with little to no nutritional value is what I consider "junk". I still consume them but make sure I don't over-do it.
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    To me, junk is anything that has calories and no nutritional value. Things like chips and candy bars.

Well I think crap like zero calorie sweeteners are junk. Food should have calories in my opinion. I agree with the nutritional value.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Gooseberries.

Taste one and you'll understand.

I've eaten plenty of foods I don't really like, but these are the foulest food I can think of.

Truly a food to be considered 'junk'.

Or maybe this would count?
    http://edition.cnn.com/2012/04/30/world/asia/philippines-pagpag-slums/index.html
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    My definition of "junk food" is completely arbitrary, but works for me. "Junk food" doesn't mean "never eat this" to me, but rather "only after you've hit your other macros."
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Stuff with numerous ingredients that are difficult to pronounce. Stuff that can live on inside a package for many months... Even years.

What you eat something that was made up of the below?

Alpha-Linolenic-Acid, Asparagine, D-Categin, Isoqurctrin, Hyperoside, Ferulic-Acid, Farnesene, Neoxathin, Phosphatidyl-Choline, Reynoutrin, Sinapic-Acid, Caffeic-Acid, Chlorogenic-Acid, P-Hydroxy-Benzoic-Acid, P-Coumaric-Acid, Avicularin, Lutein, Quercitin, Rutin, Ursolic-Acid, Protocatechuic-Acid, Silver, Tryptophan, Threonine, Isoleucine, Leucine, Lycine, Methionine, Cystine, Phenylalanine, Tyrosine, Valine, Argenine, Histidine, Alanine, Aspartic Acid, Glutamic Acid, Glycine, Proline, and Serine

Yes but an apple that I eat doesn't come in a plastic package and it has an expiration much sooner than say, Twinkies.
  • stillnot2late
    stillnot2late Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Pop tarts have vitamins and minerals in them. I know, has nothing to do with the question.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Yes but an apple that I eat doesn't come in a plastic package and it has an expiration much sooner than say, Twinkies.
    So nuts are out?
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Nothing. There are things I consider 'awful' because they're gross (Avacado, Caliuflower, Peanut Butter) but nothing I consider 'junk'.

But I don't get my jollies demonizing food and I certainly don't feel guilty over eating (What a useless emotion to attach to food, my goodness), so that could be why I hold the view I hold.