survey:"junk" what foods do u consider to be junk food?

Options

Replies

• darkrose20
    darkrose20 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Stuff with numerous ingredients that are difficult to pronounce. Stuff that can live on inside a package for many months... Even years.

What you eat something that was made up of the below?

Alpha-Linolenic-Acid, Asparagine, D-Categin, Isoqurctrin, Hyperoside, Ferulic-Acid, Farnesene, Neoxathin, Phosphatidyl-Choline, Reynoutrin, Sinapic-Acid, Caffeic-Acid, Chlorogenic-Acid, P-Hydroxy-Benzoic-Acid, P-Coumaric-Acid, Avicularin, Lutein, Quercitin, Rutin, Ursolic-Acid, Protocatechuic-Acid, Silver, Tryptophan, Threonine, Isoleucine, Leucine, Lycine, Methionine, Cystine, Phenylalanine, Tyrosine, Valine, Argenine, Histidine, Alanine, Aspartic Acid, Glutamic Acid, Glycine, Proline, and Serine

Yes but the apples I eat do not come in a plastic bag/container nor are they wrapped and they will expire in a relatively short time unlike some manufactured product such as a Twinkie or something along that nature.

Umm...my local grocery stores sell apples in a nice 3 lb plastic bag. Sometimes they sell an apple and oranges mix in that plastic bag.:tongue: Tho, they most definitely do expire long before Twinkies, etc. (why, oh why did they make a come back, anyway..yuckky!)
  • funkythreads2004
    funkythreads2004 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Everything is junk if you eat too much of it. You can eat anything in moderation, you just have to prepare. Saturdays are my treat day, so i exercise harder in the week to compensate. it gives me an enjoyable goal to look forward to...
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Junk food

1. Food you find in the junk
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    overly processed food with little nutritional value, for example most convenience store-type snacks. i don't care if some things are a treat like real homemade ice cream etc. with ingredients found primarily in nature but I don't care about moderation for things like Doritos, canned French onion dip, powdered sugar donuts from convenience stores, etc. Those things make me feel icky whether or not I use them in moderation. I would rather have cheat meals like pizza with real meat and real mozzarella than overly processed chemically engineered foods any day. I believe you can eat anything in moderation but if it's more food-like than food, you probably shouldn't. I would have no qualms about eating anything my grandmother might have made in her day for a dessert because it was actually food with ingredients like flour, sugar, and eggs, not chemical this and chemical that.
  • jfauci
    jfauci Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    To me, junk is anything that has calories and no nutritional value. Things like chips and candy bars.

Please explain this "no nutritional value" statement.

I look for protein and at least some vitamins or iron.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    And to clarify, I don't think you can get accurate info in the U.S. or possibly anywhere on the nature of your food especially regarding GMO stuff in the U.S. My point is we don't know what certain things (preservatives, genetically modified foods, etc.) will do because we have not been eating them for generations to understand the long-term effects. I like to eat things that people have been eating for a couple of generations instead of turning myself into a lab experiment. Unfortunately, I have no way of knowing about genetically modified foods because we don't have truth in labeling. I just know what feels good to me when I eat it and what does not, and I try to eat things that make me feel good or at least not too bad. I try to keep track and avoid those things that don't work for me.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Mostly food products that are manufactured and advertised. If a company is spending more money trying to convince you to eat the product, than the cost of the product...its junk.

:drinker:
  • amsipub
    amsipub Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Things that are basically all carbs and little to no vitamins, minerals, proteins. Things that are high in bad fats and/or high in added sugars. Or stuff with a ton of preservatives and processes added.
    Still has its' place though, for the noms.

I agree. That's exactly my definition of junk food. There's a lot of it around.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    well, for me, cookies can be junk or can be exquisite. Oreos are not junk food, they are excellent cookies. But cheap wafer cookies at the dollar store are junk. Or if you go to an expensive store, you can get expensive $5.00 cookies made with chunks of expensive Belgium chocolate, nuts, etc... this is NOT junk, and its a cookie. So I consider the quality of the ingredients to be the difference between junk and non-junk food.
  • soupandcookies
    soupandcookies Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I tend to be a binge eater, so "junk food," for me, is anything that triggers me to eat everything that's not nailed down. Here are a few examples from my personal list:

pretzels (especially the honey wheat kind)
    animal crackers
    Pop-Tarts (these are the worst, for me)
    marshmallows
    granola bars
    oreos
    Baked Lays
    cold cereal (even the low sugar varieties are very triggering to me)
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    For me I make the distinction between junk food and real food that's unhealthy.

Junk food is high in fat / sugar and low in protein and vitamins, high in E numbers, is heavily processed or deep fried. E.g. deep fried chips, thick pan pizza, processed burgers, sugary soft drinks, gelatin sweets, fried crisps, cheap sausages, some party nibbles. I don't eat a lot of these, some because they tend to have very little flavour so I see no reason to, and others (e.g. crisps) because I feel guilty after.

Unhealthy food is fatty or sugary food that has some nutritional value but is nevertheless a no-no if you are trying to lose weight. I do have a weakness for these E.g.s:
    greggs steak bake: lots of "real" ingredients, lumps of lean steak, covered in fatty pastry. High quality and yum but pastry is always quite fatty.
    Posh pasties: again, comparatively unprocessed ingredients as if you made them at home, vegetables, potatos, but again covered in pastry.
    Fruity yoghurty smoothies: lots of fat and sugar but lots of fruit too.
    Thin crust pizza: veg toppings, but lots of bread and cheese. Eat with salad to reduce guilt
    Battered fish: deep fried, but has omega 3s. Interestingly fewer calories and fats than a deep pan pizza.
    Sausage rolls made with good sausage meet: protein, but again with the fatty pastry.
    Salad dressing: contains oil and sugar, but you have very little of it in one go and it's so tasty!
    I tend to put cake in this list lthough it might more appropriately belong in the junk food column.

And then there chocolate, which I have a massive weakness for. But, as every girl knows, if you put chocolate on a high shelf for an hour before eating (or it's on a high shelf in the shop), most of the calories fall out, and any remaining don't count if you eat it with your eyes shut, are stressed out, or it's a day ending in "y" :-P
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    well, for me, cookies can be junk or can be exquisite. Oreos are not junk food, they are excellent cookies. But cheap wafer cookies at the dollar store are junk. Or if you go to an expensive store, you can get expensive $5.00 cookies made with chunks of expensive Belgium chocolate, nuts, etc... this is NOT junk, and its a cookie. So I consider the quality of the ingredients to be the difference between junk and non-junk food.

Agreed!

When I was in high school (early 80s), convenience stores didn't have "healthy" options like they do now. My friends and I would go to the corner convenience store every day for lunch, which often consisted of a bag of chips, a candy bar, and a soda. Oh and bubble gum for dessert. That would be my definition of junk food.
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options

I totally agree with this. Like cake that looks really enticing but has a bad texture. Or cookies or candy that look good but leave a weird waxy coating on the roof of your mouth. Or a hamburger that's unseasoned and overcooked. Basically something that's not worth finishing. As in not worth the money or calories you spent on it.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Stuff with numerous ingredients that are difficult to pronounce. Stuff that can live on inside a package for many months... Even years.

You mean like Honey? They have found honey in pharohs graves from 1000 years ago....:laugh:

I don't attach negative words like "junk" or "bad" to the word Food. It's all food. I eat what want as long as I stay within my goals.

BTW Kale is great in a smoothie...can't taste it then...:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Wildflower0106
    Wildflower0106 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    iceberg lettuce... Seriously what's the point...
  • Andreaviolet89
    Andreaviolet89 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Any packaged food that has a shelf life of like ten years such as things like pop tarts, twinkies, cookies.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Any packaged food that has a shelf life of like ten years such as things like pop tarts, twinkies, cookies.

Pop tarts have a shelf life of ~6 months, cookies the same and twinkies, contrary to popular belief, even less. Do you always repeat information you've heard from older generations without actually verifying it? All old wives tales.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    iceberg lettuce... Seriously what's the point...

I think this is actually the only food I really consider junk in my head, too. IT'S PIG LETTUCE. Gimme that arugula.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Cat food.

Ain't putting that junk in my mouth.

Eat all the foodz.