survey:"junk" what foods do u consider to be junk food?

Options

Replies

• PhoenixStrikes
    PhoenixStrikes Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I don't think considering twinkles junk food means you put foods in good or bad categories. Personally I think twinkles are delicious but as I consider them junk food I don't eat them on the regular. Spinach, and blueberries and bananas are still pretty delicious but are also nutrionally dense enough for me to be comfortable eating them every day. I Don't think some foods are bad exactly but if their nutritional value isn't high enough I probably limit my intake. As they say all things in moderation. ;-)
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Junk food is anything I shovel into my mouth mindlessly in large, caloric quantity (aka binge on). Note that this means certain foods are only junk when bought in "Family Size" packages. Everything else is fair game.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    No foods are junk : except when someone tries to make pizza crust out of cauliflower.:sick:
  • txguard61
    txguard61 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Processed foods. Foods made with HFCS ( i dont care what the govt. subsidized farmers tell you in their commercial), foods made with GMO grains, meats from animals on an unnatural diet....all this being said, i will occassionally eat foods like this when i get in a crunch for time, or i am on cheat day, but more often go for whole ingredients. One unhealthy meal does not make you unhealthy, but one healthy meal will not make you healthy!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    @NonnyMary - Couldn't just take that 5 minutes to think of everything and then post once? :huh:

I'm with the people who don't consider any food junk. I'm also with the people who say the foods they hate are junk. Thirdly, the silly recipes for pancakes, cookies, pizza crusts, and fries where 1 or more of the ingredients are applesauce, bananas, and/or cauliflower I would consider junk, as in they've been ruined by people who think mashed frozen bananas = ice cream.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    @NonnyMary - Couldn't just take that 5 minutes to think of everything and then post once? :huh:

I'm with the people who don't consider any food junk. I'm also with the people who say the foods they hate are junk. Thirdly, the silly recipes for pancakes, cookies, pizza crusts, and fries where 1 or more of the ingredients are applesauce, bananas, and/or cauliflower I would consider junk, as in they've been ruined by people who think mashed frozen bananas = ice cream.

naw,,, lol.... it just came to me like that
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Processed foods. Foods made with HFCS ( i dont care what the govt. subsidized farmers tell you in their commercial), foods made with GMO grains, meats from animals on an unnatural diet....all this being said, i will occassionally eat foods like this when i get in a crunch for time, or i am on cheat day, but more often go for whole ingredients. One unhealthy meal does not make you unhealthy, but one healthy meal will not make you healthy!

I think we have different definitions of occasionally, looks like you eat processed foods on the daily
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Twinkies, Pop-tarts, chocolate milk, Tostino cheese pizza rolls, plain bagels (they're ok if you put cream cheese on em), baked chips, low fat mayo, green olives, or anything else I don't like.

PS I will still eat the pizza rolls because they are convenient, but I definitely don't like them as much as I used to.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Salad.
  • samygirl928
    samygirl928 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Things I think of as junk food are cookies, desserts, chips, anything fried, soda, candy, and fast food.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Pop and potato chips and chocolate. Of course .. all sorts of candy too. I used to be a junk food freak .. and I gave it up cold turkey about 2 months ago. So far I haven't touched any.
  • fitmusiclifeviola
    Options
    I would classify some foods as junk if after eating them that I would want to continue eating them well past my daily budget, and that don't leave me very satisfied not long thereafter.
    Another way of looking at it for me are foods that are mostly sugar, and or cream/oil.

Probably the simplest way I look at it is a food is junk if I can't eat a large amount of it in one day and both fit my daily goals and feel good afterwards.

Like this, a food may be junk one day, and not another, or eating some of it may not be junk, but eating lots of it would be.

Probably the simpler answer is junk food = candy, sweets, cakes, pies, and snack foods. Not sure I would call junk food bad, but they are foods that are a bit more 'dangerous', in that eating them requires more deliberate moderation. My body naturally tells me to stop eating chicken, veggies and rice when I'm full, and near my daily goals, without really tracking in the same way. When I do that with peanut butter, candy or other snacks, ie. chips, then it's really quite easy to go way over my goals.

Good question!
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Why do people feel the need to justify what they eat? Nobody cares if you LOVE pop tarts but only eat them on full moons because they're soooo bad for you. Nobody cares if you only eat fast food on road trips because it's convenient. You don't have to justify that eating a cupcake today was okay because you haven't had a cupcake in months or that it was sugar-free, fat-free, chemical-free, and made of cauliflower.

Just shut up and eat, you fools.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Chips, candy, cookies,cake, pie, bread, sweetened beverages including bottled juices, anything with added sugar, anything with hydrogenated oils, pancakes, donuts, individual packets of sweetened oatmeal, cured meats, french fries, pasta, batter fried anything.

I cry for you.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    images-12_zps924e4989.jpeg

If anyone tried to eat this, I'd call it junk food.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Things that I don't want to eat. :tongue:
  • jackiecamarena
    jackiecamarena Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Anything that has more fat than protein.
  • MuseofSong
    MuseofSong Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I try not to call food dirty names.

Junk food is something past expiration that gets thrown in the garbage or something that does not taste good and you throw it away.

Everything else is just food.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Anything that has more fat than protein.

I guess no bacon, butter, oils...
  • lharri0209
    lharri0209 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Things that I consider junk food is anything that is high in fat, carbs, sugar, cals and sodium that also totally lack of substance...pretty much no nutrition. If I have to feel guilty for eating it, then it is junk food to me. With that said, moderation is key because you can not deprive yourself of the foods that you like 100% of the time.