When is it socially acceptable for shirtless running?

Options
ElliottTN
ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
I was going to ask this in the fitness message board but I thought I would get some more honest (and entertaining) answers from the regulars on here.

So when is it acceptable for a guy to run shirtless? I know you should be able to whenever bc screw everyone else but honestly I do care what people think and would rather not gross them out.

So what is the criteria besides the weather? Is a full 6 pack required? Is it possible to not look like a douche shirtless running? Thoughts on when it is socially acceptable? Guidelines to follow?

Replies

• cgary13
    Options
    I say anytime, at least they are working on it!
  • When guys look like you do, its totally acceptable. All the time. And I it takes more than no shirt to look like a douche.
  • NeverCatchYourBreath
    Options
    If you actually look like your pic then I doubt you'd be grossing anyone out.

I say just go for it whenever. Like the other poster said, at least you're working on it.

You would look like a douche though if you were running shirtless at below 40 degrees. Because at that point it's obvious you're doing it for attention, not because you're hot (read: temperature elevated).
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Personally I won't start running shirtless until nothing jiggles. And even then it would only be on days so hellishly hot that even a sleeveless, breathable, sweat wicking running shirt offers no respite. From your profile pic, I don't think anyone would complain, except maybe out of jealousy.
  • tonynguyen75
    tonynguyen75 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Only at the beach.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Only at the beach.

You are kidding right? OP you are fine to do it now. We have a guy about 70 running where I walk and he is shirtless. If you're hot do it.
  • LiveLoveLift67
    LiveLoveLift67 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Based on your profile pic i would say NOW. But otherwise i think as long as the belly or moobs arent flopping all over the place its ok .

Whenever you feel comfortable with yourself is probably the best answer.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Matthew McConaughey called. he wants his question back.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Personally I won't start running shirtless until nothing jiggles. And even then it would only be on days so hellishly hot that even a sleeveless, breathable, sweat wicking running shirt offers no respite. From your profile pic, I don't think anyone would complain, except maybe out of jealousy.

See, that's my problem. I still got a little piece of gut hanging on to the bottom of my abs that would jiggle unless I'm flexing my abs..so that's what I would find to be gross but not sure about others. Everything else is pretty solid.
  • awlosing30
    awlosing30 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Matthew McConaughey called. he wants his question back.

Matthew McConaughey can go shirtless anywhere!!!
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    When you’re not a female in America?

I kid, I kid…

If that’s you in the pic? Now is acceptable.
  • spookiefox
    spookiefox Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I was going to ask this in the fitness message board but I thought I would get some more honest (and entertaining) answers from the regulars on here.

So when is it acceptable for a guy to run shirtless? I know you should be able to whenever bc screw everyone else but honestly I do care what people think and would rather not gross them out.

So what is the criteria besides the weather? Is a full 6 pack required? Is it possible to not look like a douche shirtless running? Thoughts on when it is socially acceptable? Guidelines to follow?

I don't really care what you choose to do. IMO, it always looks "douchey." Is there a reason guys NEED to run shirtless?
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options

See, that's my problem. I still got a little piece of gut hanging on to the bottom of my abs that would jiggle unless I'm flexing my abs..so that's what I would find to be gross but not sure about others. Everything else is pretty solid.

Eh, even so, unless you are living in an olympic village I'd peg your physique as way above average and unlikely to cause offense. Unless, as has been pointed out, you are needlessly running shirtless on a cool day, in which case you'd look like a douche. In that situation the physique would actually work against you, I'd say.
  • RN514
    RN514 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure now would be a great time to start. ;)

I agree with the "whenever you feel comfortable with yourself" answers though.
  • mag131
    mag131 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    If I saw you, I wouldn't be focusing on that little bit of jiggle when you have abs and legs like that.

Whenever you're confident though.
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options

I don't really care what you choose to do. IMO, it always looks "douchey." Is there a reason guys NEED to run shirtless?

I live in the Saint Louis area. In the summer it's well over 100 degrees, with 95+% humidity. I have to say that there have been days that I wanted to run shirtless. Days when even the light weight, space age material sleeveless running shirt felt like running with an insulated jacket on.
  • da1128
    da1128 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    If that's you in the pic, go for it! Where do you run? I wouldn't mind the scenery! :bigsmile:
  • spookiefox
    spookiefox Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    What I also think is douchey is any implication that size, weight, or appearance has anything to do with it. Wearing clothes is not to prevent people from seeing what they have arbitrarily labelled ugly.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Only at the beach.

As far as being "non-tacky", this would be my answer. But sometimes IDGAF about being "tacky".
  • kowajenn
    kowajenn Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    When I see a guy running shirtless, I think he's pretty full of himself and looking for attention. Maybe that's not fair, but that's always my first thought.