When is it socially acceptable for shirtless running?

Options

Replies

• agdyl
    agdyl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    this is so funny, i had the same self conscious feel about it too before i started running outside w\out a shirt, i was like, am i fit enough to do it? i had to do a trial run and mow the back yard shirtless, then i ran in park before finally doing it in the sub division by my house

Haha, I did the same thing with running in just a sports bra this summer. I started doing yardwork in the backyard. Then went on a trail run with my dog out somewhere where i was unlikely to run into anyone. I only made it to running on trails with a few more people instead of around the neighborhood though and now it feels like winter. Next year. :)
  • kittyd7015
    kittyd7015 Posts: 4,546 Member
    Options
    I go running with two girls that run in sports bras without a top on. I dont have there bodies though :-(
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    If you dont jiggle in all the wrong ways and your chest is not covered in sweaty long black hair i say go for it no 6 pac required lol. Sorry to all the really hairy chested men out there.
  • soldiergrl_101
    Options
    this is so funny, i had the same self conscious feel about it too before i started running outside w\out a shirt, i was like, am i fit enough to do it? i had to do a trial run and mow the back yard shirtless, then i ran in park before finally doing it in the sub division by my house

This poster can totally run shirtless in my neighborhood haha
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    If you dont jiggle in all the wrong ways and your chest is not covered in sweaty long black hair i say go for it no 6 pac required lol. Sorry to all the really hairy chested men out there.

It's okay to say that about men on MFP, but don't say it about women because people would lose their shlt. :laugh:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1081711-your-thoughts-of-big-girls-in-bikinis?hl=big+girl+bikini
  • soldiergrl_101
    Options

It's okay to say that about men on MFP, but don't say it about women because people would lose their shlt. :laugh:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1081711-your-thoughts-of-big-girls-in-bikinis?hl=big+girl+bikini

Its all a matter of preference, I jiggle but most men like woman that jiggle
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I always run topless.....ladies love me!
    :laugh: No lack of self-confidence there.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options

Its all a matter of preference, I jiggle but most men like woman that jiggle

Yes preference on how guys look like it's okay, trying that for the preference on ladies and people on MFP call you out for body shaming.
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    on the beach
  • Rai007
    Rai007 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    a lot of guys will be jealous. :(
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    If you are a man and you don't need a sports bra ......

Then it's ok to run shirtless

: )
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Shirtless running IMO should just about always be socially acceptable. I think shirtless is the most comfortable way to workout. This thread has pretty much proven that you can't control how people will react to what you do (some will avert their eyes to avoid having lustful thoughts, some like me will avert their eyes to avoid feeling like a creeper, some will cheer you on, some will check you out, some will judge you for the wobbly bits, some will think you are a douche, some will think it's hot outside), and there's nothing offensive about the human body, so ... go for it. When you feel ready. I'd say a bit before then. Do it now and realize how much it really doesn't matter.
  • VoicelessRide
    VoicelessRide Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I have run shirtless it is fun and motivating but for me it is a mood thing. i usually have something on
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I have a little pooch down at the bottom because I had a foot long incision from surgery that opened my guts up. At my age, not sure if it will ever tighten up.

I do run shirtless about half the year. The major problem I have are people staring or trying to take pictures with their phone while driving and almost running me over when I'm kicking pavement. So be save :) and pay attention.

That being said, I've also live in a town that has a large cancer treatment hospital. I usually end up running by the hospital 3-4 of my runs during the week. Some patients or family members notice my chemo port on my chest when I run by and I'm sure it gives them or their family hope that they can too beat cancer.
  • SheilaG1963
    SheilaG1963 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I was going to ask this in the fitness message board but I thought I would get some more honest (and entertaining) answers from the regulars on here.

So when is it acceptable for a guy to run shirtless? I know you should be able to whenever bc screw everyone else but honestly I do care what people think and would rather not gross them out.

So what is the criteria besides the weather? Is a full 6 pack required? Is it possible to not look like a douche shirtless running? Thoughts on when it is socially acceptable? Guidelines to follow?

I don't really care what you choose to do. IMO, it always looks "douchey." Is there a reason guys NEED to run shirtless?

I live in the Saint Louis area. In the summer it's well over 100 degrees, with 95+% humidity. I have to say that there have been days that I wanted to run shirtless. Days when even the light weight, space age material sleeveless running shirt felt like running with an insulated jacket on.

It feels that way for women too, yet it's still illegal, even in St. Louis when it's hot and humid, for them to strip half naked.

Actually, it's not illegal for women to be seen topless. The only thing illegal is for women to show their front lower half. Same goes for men. I live in SE Missouri and there was a guy who would moon cars going by his house. When we complained, that's what the cops told us. Dude, if you want to run shirtless, go ahead. I have never seen a "no shoes, no shirt, no running" sign in nature!
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    All day everyday.
  • TheFatFox
    Options
    Pah - Leese! Was this posted to fish for compliments? Common, you're in great shape. Let us fat and hairy guys worry about keeping our shirt on and worry about how we wish that we had just a little pouch of fat and no hair on our bodies. Go flippin' run without your shirt. SMH.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options
    Read no other responses, it is acceptable if you are comfortable doing it. I have seen many tasty morsels running sans shirt, some have a full 6 pack, others are just lean, others have some belly flab. IT DOESN'T MATTER. Confidence is where it's at.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    On the beach or if your house is on fire = socially acceptable all the time.

On a country road, perhaps.

Through the city, not so much.

Same rules apply to well oiled tan muscles or ghostly white hairy keg.