Weight loss help

Options

Replies

• ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Alright... So if how much should I raise my intake by and for how long should I keep it that intake before raising it again until reaching 1200cal..?

1200 cals is still a deficit, and you need the fuel. I'd say raise it now. Like ASAP. Like go eat a meal. Will someone second?

I second that motion. Either get yourself a sandwich OR down some peanut butter until your intake is 1200. Peanut butter has healthy fats and protein.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Im sorry I'm irritating you, but she said I would rebound.... Does rebound specifically mean only water weight? If it does then I didnt know thats what it meant... And I'm not a troll... I was sincerly confused to why I havent lost Weight in month, rather gained some. So if I eat 1200cal. Without exercise I will still lose weight? Or is this including exercise?

Try not to worry too much about starts and stops, or small gains and losses. That's just how it goes. Very few people actually lose one pound per week like clockwork. That's just not how the body works. For me, I tend to lose one pound, then gain three pounds of water with my period, then lose those three pounds a week later, then lose one pound for real. So it ends up being more like I'm losing one pound per month. And then there are some months where I just stall completely and lose nothing at all for 8 or 9 weeks. Oh well. Then it starts declining again. Water weight is going to happen. The body needs water, it's important. That will fluctuate, and you just need to learn what's normal for your own body.

You can eat 1200 calories a day and lose weight with no exercise. Exercise will help you maintain strength and flexibility as you lose the weight and as you age, and it will help keep your heart healthy. If you do exercise, you'll need to eat a bit more to fuel the activity level.

You might not lose as quickly as you'd hoped, but you'll do it in a more healthy and more permanent way. And honestly, most likely by upping your calories, you'll actually lose quicker because your body will know that it's healthy enough to let go of those calories and burn the stored fat away.
  • 5n0wbal1
    5n0wbal1 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Alright... So if how much should I raise my intake by and for how long should I keep it that intake before raising it again until reaching 1200cal..?

1200 cals is still a deficit, and you need the fuel. I'd say raise it now. Like ASAP. Like go eat a meal. Will someone second?

Nope. I disagree. We clearly DO NOT KNOW how much this person is eating. The advice to eat more is IMO completely misguided.

I can agree with you that it is unlikely OP is eating only 600, though not impossible. If she is, though, do you think she should stay that way?
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options

Nope. I disagree. We clearly DO NOT KNOW how much this person is eating. The advice to eat more is IMO completely misguided.
    Ok, then how about this?

OP, log accurately and consistently, meaning, weigh your foods, measure drinks, etc. and make sure you are eating at least 1200 calories.
  • NaomiJFoster
    Options

She's said over and over that she eats 600 calories a day.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Better than trying to tell her to stay at a 600 cal goal.

OP, are you weighing everything? If not....invest in a food scale. Up your cal goal to 1200 for 2 weeks. Then up to 1400 for another 2-3 weeks and then 1600. stay there for 4-6 weeks and then reasses your tdee and figure if you need to stay there or up a little more.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

It doesn't matter. If she isn't losing weight she is clearly eating a whack more than 600 calories. You're telling someone to eat more when they don't even know how much they're eating right now.

This is terrible advice. :(

The first step is to "really" figure out daily intake, everything else is supposition and projection.
  • 5n0wbal1
    Options

It doesn't matter. If she isn't losing weight she is clearly eating a whack more than 600 calories. You're telling someone to eat more when they don't even know how much they're eating right now.

The first step is to "really" figure out daily intake, everything else is supposition and projection.

I'm saying she should at least eat 1200 calories. Do you agree?
  • NaomiJFoster
    Options

No, we're telling her to eat more than 600. If she already is eating more than 600, she's not logging it, and people have told her to log it properly. But she has said that her goal is 600, and people are urging her to change that goal. That's not terrible advise.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options

What you said was "Like ASAP. Like go eat a meal."
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    No, we're telling her to eat more than 600. If she already is eating more than 600, she's not logging it, and people have told her to log it properly. But she has said that her goal is 600, and people are urging her to change that goal. That's not terrible advise.

It's terrible advice because she clearly thinks she's eating 600 calories, which means her process for counting is screwed up. Telling her to eat 1200 when she's probably already eating 1200 while thinking she's eating 600 is a great way to get her into caloric surplus and gaining weight.

So yes, while well intentioned, it IS terrible advice.
  • 5n0wbal1
    Options

What you said was "Go eat a meal. Like now."

If she's only eating 600, why not? If she's eating more, will one day kill her? Or two weeks, for that matter? She won't gain 30 lbs in 2 weeks. Especially not if she's only increasing by 600 calories.
  • natalia616
    natalia616 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Gbdween never said that I didnt lose ANY weight at all.... I said I havent lost weight in a month.... I upped my intake for today to 911w... I dont think that I should Immediatly up my intake from 600 too 1200 because I think I will only gain weight. Im going to up it to 1000 for about 2 weeks then 1200 for 4 and more and see how my body reacts...
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options

It's terrible advice because she clearly thinks she's eating 600 calories, which means her process for counting is screwed up. Telling her to eat 1200 when she's probably already eating 1200 while thinking she's eating 600 is a great way to get her into caloric surplus and gaining weight.

Do you have a crystal ball? Are you psychic? If not, then do stop acting like you are because for all you know, she could be eating 600, but her metabolism is so damaged that her body is so used to the caloric number, that it's no longer producing a loss.

BTW- even if we were in err, she wouldn't be damaging herself by eating a little more. You don't get fat overnight.
  • 5n0wbal1
    Options
    Gbdween never said that I didnt lose ANY weight at all.... I said I havent lost weight in a month.... I upped my intake for today to 911w... I dont think that I should Immediatly up my intake from 600 too 1200 because I think I will only gain weight. Im going to up it to 1000 for about 2 weeks then 1200 for 4 and more and see how my body reacts...

That's a good start.
  • NaomiJFoster
    Options

I think you missed the part where I said that people have told her to start logging properly.
  • natalia616
    natalia616 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Ok ... I am 100% logging in properly, in average my daily intake (these are just my most frequent meals)-... Are : breakfast : yogurt and granola (70-150) depending which type of yogurt) lunch : either corn (100cal) or a tuna bagel (250cal) and dinner : salad and grilled chicken or another type of meat (200-300cal) just as i said around 600-700 cal..
  • soupandcookies
    soupandcookies Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I just want to point out (though I realize this is beside the point) that contrary to what you wrote in an earlier post in this thread, you do NOT need to be underweight, to be diagnosed with an eating disorder. Many many people with ED's are at normal weights or even overweight.

Good luck, OP. I hope you've gotten a lot out of the advice you've been given in this thread. I hope you choose to treat yourself with love and respect.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Ok ... I am 100% logging in properly, in average my daily intake (these are just my most frequent meals)-... Are : breakfast : yogurt and granola (70-150) depending which type of yogurt) lunch : either corn (100cal) or a tuna bagel (250cal) and dinner : salad and grilled chicken or another type of meat (200-300cal) just as i said around 600-700 cal..
    That is not enough food. Seriously, my 1 1/2 year old eats a lot more than that. You really, really need to eat more.
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options

tuna bagel - 250cal ... is this half a bagel, a whole bagel, a mini bagel? I am asking because when I check bagels in the database I get that for a plain whole bagel without any tuna. Also how much tuna and is there anything with it? not all entries in the database are accurate, just saying.

Ultimately whatever we says means nothing, because your body is keeping an accurate diary and it is saying you are not in calorie deficit.