ARE CARBS BAD

Options
hi to all,
a question to all people who have lost weight succesfully
does it really matter how many carbs, protein and fat do we eat.
i mean we live in different countries and we have our own foods.
so i see a lot of people advocating low carbs.
i dont have enough budget to replace my carbs with protein and fats.
i am especially concerned about bread.
i have hypothyroidism if that matters.
and if bread/carbs are bad for me is there any medical test that can be carried out to know this!!
Need proper guidance

Replies

• NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    No, carbs are not bad.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Nope.

If consumed properly they are a benefit.

Are they an essential macro, I would say no......
    But again, to have some energy and not be grouchy, they do help. :smile:

The problem with carbs comes from people getting to much, and then their bodies are not able to oxidize/burn off the fat they consume.
    So the body will work to get rid of all the carbs, and by doing so, oxidizing the fat takes a back seat, so the fat gets stored.....thus people start getting fat.

So eat the amount of carbs you need, but don't go overboard.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    hi to all,
    and if bread/carbs are bad for me is there any medical test that can be carried out to know this!!
    Need proper guidance

If you have a thyroid problem, then a nutritionist would be someone worth consulting.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

Yes, for optimal health, but that doesn't mean bread, pasta, pizza, potatoes, etc. are bad and you can't have them. Just make sure it fits within your goals.
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Nope, I eat plenty of carbs and I still lose weight and feel great. Moderation is key.
  • klaff411
    klaff411 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    hi to all,
    Need proper guidance

Yeah you need to go to a doctor and get on a medical diet. There are huge complications when you have thyroid problems.
  • xRiverX
    xRiverX Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    It all depends what training you do for the ratio of carbs protein and fats.

I know football/soccer players that eat 4 carbs to 1 protein ,med fats(20-30%) and eat 4000 cals a day.

I know body builders (natural) eat 1 carbs to 4 protein, low fats. these eat 2500cals-3500cal a day.

Low carbs diets are so you dont have to train so intense to loose weight as it has more to do with eating than exercise.

Imo its 75% diet(what you eat) and 25% training.

The problem is that most ppl trying to loose weight use the bodybuilding methods of eating which is good but imo most of the bodybuilders i know take magic pills and advise natural ppl how to loose weight,what they dont understand is that its a different process.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Carbs aren't bad. However, FOR ME, what helped me start losing again was to lower my carbs to under 30, sometimes under 25.
  • gk03ub
    gk03ub Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I tried low-carb and not only was I miserable, but I did not lose any weight.
    Now, I eat 60% carbs and I not only feel incredible and satisfied, but I am losing weight.

That being said, everybody is different so you have to find what works for you.

However, never believe anyone who says that carbs are "bad". They are important, very important!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    No, carbs are not bad.
    This.
  • AdrianBry
    AdrianBry Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    1. carbs are not bad.
    2. does not matter what you eat when it comes to losing weight (nowloss.com/diet)

BUT.....

too many carbs will cause you to gain excess water weight IF you're diet is high in salt, dont drink enough water and/or don't exercise.

Like I said....

it does not matter what you eat but you should consider making protein at least 30% of your diet to help ward off hunger and to burn more calories during digestion but overall...

if you eat the right amount of FOOD/calories then you'll lose weight
  • Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    bad carbs come from sugars, high fructose corn syrups and related sweeteners, honeys, molasses, fruits, breads and grains, and starchy vegetables like potatoes and carrots.
    good carbs come from leafy green vegetables, squashes and such.
    use the keto calculator (its free) to arrive at the amount of protein, fats and carbs you may need and set those figures into MFP.
    to the extent you consume carbs, it's ideal to have them early in the day and to be 'carb free' at night and allow your body 12 hours of 'ketosis' to consume fats while you sleep.

my carb intake varies between a low of 20 grams per day to a high of 100 grams per day, always in the am (breakfast). to the extent I use sweeteners I use Truvia. MFP will often default to as much as 300 grams of carbs a day which is way too much. pretty much under 100 grams is considered low carb but many folks go to 50 (I have) with little difficulty. Those who tell you carbs don't count and such are simply incorrect. The science of low carb is overwhelming.

If you don't have enough money to eat this way then do what is necessary to make enough money.do not accept poverty. that too is a choice.
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Yeah you need to go to a doctor and get on a medical diet. There are huge complications when you have thyroid problems.
    what? she did not mention any complications so there's no need to make such a statement. A lot of people are able to get their levels right without further issues.

OP: carbs are necessary. Some people go low carb, others don't. You need to find what works for you. Maybe consulting a dietician could help you with that.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but the poster who said it doesn't matter what you eat is showing his ignorance. The body requires no carbs for life but you will die if you don't get sufficient protein and fat. If you eat junk, you will have health problems - heart disease, diabetes, kidney disease.
  • AdrianBry
    AdrianBry Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but the poster who said it doesn't matter what you eat is showing his ignorance. The body requires no carbs for life but you will die if you don't get sufficient protein and fat. If you eat junk, you will have health problems - heart disease, diabetes, kidney disease.

I agree with you 100% - IT does matter WHAT you eat as far as living longer, looking better and preventing disease BUT...

To lose weight it does not matter WHAT but HOW MUCH you eat to lose weight.

If you are stranded on an island where you could only eat 500 calories worth of snickers bars everyday then you'll lose weight but you'll probably have bad teeth also as a result
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

It depends on your goals. If all you want to do is lose weight, period, then the makeup of your calories arguably doesn't matter much. If you are after specific performance metrics or a particular style of body recomposition, yes, it matters.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    No, carbohydrates are an essential quick energy source. Unless you have a health problem, as long as you are eating plenty of fruits and vegetables for nutrition, a normal diet should be fine. The way I think about it is that there are three energy sources: carbs, protein and fat. Generally, we don't need to limit our protein (and it burns the slowest), so we need to limit carbs and fat. Some people limit both. Some people limit one or the other. It just depends on what works for you.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    NO

CARBS TASTE GOOD, CAN HELP FUEL EXERCISE, AND THEY ARE FILLING. I WOULD NEVER EVER GIVE UP MY CARBS AGAIN.

AND SOMETIMES I REALLY LIKE TO DRINK THEM INSTEAD OF EAT THEM.

(someday someone will pull a hottle of coffee out of my left cold dead hand, and a glass of wine or cider out of my right cold dead hand)
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    No.