ARE CARBS BAD

Options

Replies

• tattygun
    tattygun Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I've done the low carb diets before between 20g and 100g per day. I now eat between 200g and 400g and I'm way happier plus my workouts are way better too. I also eat fries, white rice etc regularly too.
  • GetDemGainz
    Options
    Carbs are not bad and get a bad rep because lets face it, they taste good and too many over indulge. Carbs are needed but the trick is to find that perfect intake for "your body". We are all unique in that our bodies consume and process differently. I have a thyroid condition. The trick is to monitor your carbs and make small weekly adjustments (on MFP) until you find what works for you. Regarding budget, be creative as you can still enjoy and eat good tasting food for less. Beans and lentils are very nutritious and make awesome soups, and can even be the main course by adding fresh vegetables or rice. Brown Rice is a great addition to leftover meat and veggies. Now, brown rice is more expensive but the nutritional benefits make it well worth it (buy generic brand). Pasta, likewise, is quick and easy to prepare, and you can add veggies, meat, or a fresh salad. Have fun adding things like mushrooms, spices, and herbs. Tip...whole-wheat pasta whenever available (again, generic is cool).
    Tuna and salmon pouches are inexpensive and very convenient for busy lifestyles. Great cheap source of protein. Which reminds me. BEANS are probably THE cheapest source of protein and you can add them to all kinds of dishes. Look online for tips. Ok, I'm done rambling. Best of luck to you and keep up the healthy fight :)
  • running_free_1984
    running_free_1984 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I couldn't run if I didn't enjoy carbs, of that I'm convinced.
  • GetDemGainz
    Options
    @clarkeje1 - Yep...lol :laugh:
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    No. This thread can be closed now.
  • Rai007
    Rai007 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    great to know that carbs arent bad!!
    and i believe if i have lost some weight with carbs in my diet they may not harm my journey in a negative way
    and yes they help me to jog beter.
  • danofthedead1979
    danofthedead1979 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    If you don't have enough money to eat this way then do what is necessary to make enough money.do not accept poverty. that too is a choice.

Ayyyyy really? That extra comment was pretty unnecessary and inaccurate. Check out the statistics on social mobility in the United States. Surely all those people who struggled and grew up in poverty simply chose to continue the tradition, right? Tell me, what is so appealing about poverty?

Don't feed the trolls
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but the poster who said it doesn't matter what you eat is showing his ignorance. The body requires no carbs for life but you will die if you don't get sufficient protein and fat. If you eat junk, you will have health problems - heart disease, diabetes, kidney disease.

Actually, you are the one who is ignorant in this circumstance, the body, and in particular the brain, needs sufficient carbs for energy. Yes, fat and protein can be converted to energy, but that is a lot of extra work for the liver and can lead to some of the exact same things you identified that eating "junk" will cause. The point is to eat a diet balanced enough that all macronutrient and micronutrient needs are met so that the body can work at efficiency.

That is the basic principle of IIFYM. Foods are not excluded so long as they help to meet macronutrient/micronutrient goals. It's a concept of moderation and balance.

Actually, this is not correct. The brain does not need carbs, the brain needs glucose. Creating glucose from protein is harder on the body and can cause complications but more with kidneys than liver. Creating glucose from fat is more complicated but not dangerous or damaging. This is precisely why it is recommended when going low carb, to eat more fat, moderate protein and low carb.

Low carb leading to heart disease, diabetes, or kidney disease is also wrong. It is prescribed specifically for diabetics because it keeps blood sugar low and manages insulin levels naturally. Low carb has shown a reduction in heart disease risk as well. When you are burning fat as fuel, it doesn't build up in the system. Lowered bad cholesterol and higher good cholesterol are also seen when low carb diets when followed correctly. This is the key! Kidney disease only happens in a few people that do not follow the diet correctly or have a pre-existing kidney condition.

A correct low carb diet is, as I mentioned above, low carb (usually between 20 and 50g carbs), moderate protein (.8-1.5g per lbm depending on goals), and the rest fat to meet calorie goals. Counting calories is still necessary for most people. Though when I am eating low carb (eating moderate carb right now as I am pregnant) I eat at my level every day just naturally by eating when I am hungry. Women in particular most of the time require calorie counting. Getting enough water, sodium, magnesium, and potassium is also required as the body does not store these when glycogen stores are depleted. Carbs should only come from veggies preferably nutrient dense veggies like spinach and other dark leafy greens. Fiber should also be tracked and another reason to get those nutrient dense veggies.

This diet is not a diet! It is a life style. It is not easy and should not be taken lightly. Also, it isn't for everyone. For me, I have to do this for the rest of my life (with the exception of my pregnancy obviously) because of my health issues.

OP: If you are concerned about carbs hindering you, I recommend talking to a nutritionist or doctor. I know for me they hinder but my health issues are not related to my thyroid.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Carbs are not bad for the average person. In fact, they are very good. Those who are insulin resistance need to limit carbs, and especially foods/meals that are high in carbohydrates and low in protein and fiber. Eating carbohydrates with fiber and protein slows digestion and eliminates a quick spike in blood glucose (often refered to as a 'sugar rush'), which is followed by a fast drop in blood glucose, which can trigger hunger. These blood glucose spikes can be dangerous if you are insulin resistant.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    NO
  • m13a
    m13a Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    If you don't have enough money to eat this way then do what is necessary to make enough money.do not accept poverty. that too is a choice.

Ayyyyy really? That extra comment was pretty unnecessary and inaccurate. Check out the statistics on social mobility in the United States. Surely all those people who struggled and grew up in poverty simply chose to continue the tradition, right? Tell me, what is so appealing about poverty?

Don't bother. People that feel that way cannot be convinced otherwise. There are entire large groups of people that truly feel that poverty is a choice. Self-entitled much? Probably very sheltered lives, is what I typically think.

I see your point. Really. However, it's still frustrating and upsetting to me since I know people who are working their butts off to get out of poverty and keep running into obstacle after obstacle. Who are these people to tell them that being in poverty is a choice? I want to push people to stop being so sheltered and disconnected, if that's the case.

Thanks for your response. I just couldn't let that comment slide.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    YES. If you eat 1 carb, YOU WILL DIE. That is a FACT. Science.

Do you have links to the studies showing this?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but the poster who said it doesn't matter what you eat is showing his ignorance. The body requires no carbs for life but you will die if you don't get sufficient protein and fat. If you eat junk, you will have health problems - heart disease, diabetes, kidney disease.

Actually, you are the one who is ignorant in this circumstance, the body, and in particular the brain, needs sufficient carbs for energy. Yes, fat and protein can be converted to energy, but that is a lot of extra work for the liver and can lead to some of the exact same things you identified that eating "junk" will cause. The point is to eat a diet balanced enough that all macronutrient and micronutrient needs are met so that the body can work at efficiency.

That is the basic principle of IIFYM. Foods are not excluded so long as they help to meet macronutrient/micronutrient goals. It's a concept of moderation and balance.

Actually, this is not correct. The brain does not need carbs, the brain needs glucose. Creating glucose from protein is harder on the body and can cause complications but more with kidneys than liver. Creating glucose from fat is more complicated but not dangerous or damaging. This is precisely why it is recommended when going low carb, to eat more fat, moderate protein and low carb.

Low carb leading to heart disease, diabetes, or kidney disease is also wrong. It is prescribed specifically for diabetics because it keeps blood sugar low and manages insulin levels naturally. Low carb has shown a reduction in heart disease risk as well. When you are burning fat as fuel, it doesn't build up in the system. Lowered bad cholesterol and higher good cholesterol are also seen when low carb diets when followed correctly. This is the key! Kidney disease only happens in a few people that do not follow the diet correctly or have a pre-existing kidney condition.

A correct low carb diet is, as I mentioned above, low carb (usually between 20 and 50g carbs), moderate protein (.8-1.5g per lbm depending on goals), and the rest fat to meet calorie goals. Counting calories is still necessary for most people. Though when I am eating low carb (eating moderate carb right now as I am pregnant) I eat at my level every day just naturally by eating when I am hungry. Women in particular most of the time require calorie counting. Getting enough water, sodium, magnesium, and potassium is also required as the body does not store these when glycogen stores are depleted. Carbs should only come from veggies preferably nutrient dense veggies like spinach and other dark leafy greens. Fiber should also be tracked and another reason to get those nutrient dense veggies.

This diet is not a diet! It is a life style. It is not easy and should not be taken lightly. Also, it isn't for everyone. For me, I have to do this for the rest of my life (with the exception of my pregnancy obviously) because of my health issues.

OP: If you are concerned about carbs hindering you, I recommend talking to a nutritionist or doctor. I know for me they hinder but my health issues are not related to my thyroid.

What is glucose? And so if you are burning fat as fuel, you can't have net fat gain? Interesting
  • Annette_rose
    Annette_rose Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I just had my thyroid taken out so going through the whole thyroid medication adjustment etc. I have done wonderful at maintaining a good weight until having my thyroid removed due to cancer on 8/2. The thyroid regulates so many things such as our metabolism, body temperature, and much more. I have been gaining weight even though I have been eating the same, although I have discovered I have hardly any energy and so fatigued. I see the endocrinologist today to see what adjustment needs to be done on the meds. I do agree that being hypothyroid does make a difference as I am on the FB site with other survivors and there are many who have been eating the same as always and are now struggling with weight loss and getting this medication under control. I can understand the frustration!!! Myself, I do think that carbs from fruit are much better than carbs we get from junk food.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Simple carbs- white bread, pasta, pastries, cookies, white rice,

no. Simple carbs - glucose, fructose, sucrose etc. Small molecules.

Complex carbs - starches etc. Large molecules.

the above are all your beloved complex carbs, taking bran away does not make white bread starch a different molecule to brown bread starch.
  • Annette_rose
    Annette_rose Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/

For the OP, this just one good site for thyroid patients.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    No food is bad.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

Carbs are the easiest and most direct source of glucose. If one were capable of completely omitting carbs from their diet, they would die.

While I didn't bother going through the specifics of looking up the information that was flawed with the original quoted comment, I am still correct that the body cannot function without carbs, as opposed to the quoted comment, in which it was declared that the body does not need carbs (and essentially, what made the comment ignorant).

But thanks for playing.
  • mommabenefield
    mommabenefield Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lh55zof4mV1qb7ikeo1_500.gif

Wait............

Bye-Bye-Bye-NSYNC-Dance-Gif.gif