ARE CARBS BAD

Options

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Carbs are the easiest and most direct source of glucose. If one were capable of completely omitting carbs from their diet, they would die.

Not at all, there are no carbs you have to eat - but if there were none being produced internally you would have problems.

The US DRI says as much...
    Clinical Effects of Inadequate Intake

The lower limit of dietary carbohydrate compatible with life appar-
    ently is zero, provided that adequate amounts of protein and fat are con-
    sumed. However, the amount of dietary carbohydrate that provides for
    optimal health in humans is unknown.

www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/DRI/DRI_Energy/energy_full_report.pdf‎
    Dietary Reference Intakes for Energy, Carbohydrate, Fiber, Fat, Fatty ...
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Bite your head off, man.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    If one were capable of completely omitting carbs from their diet, they would die.

I am still correct that the body cannot function without carbs

The body needs carbs to function.

However, you don't need carbs in your diet. Your body can manufacture the carbs it needs from protein and fatty acids.

So, you are right and wrong. You will not die if you completely omit carbs from your body, but the body will not function without carbs.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Here have some research!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22935440

CONCLUSION:

Body-weight loss and weight-maintenance depends on the high-protein, but not on the 'low-carb' component of the diet, while it is unrelated to the concomitant fat-content of the diet.

(You mean macro ratios don't impact weight loss? :noway: )

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23759780

INTERPRETATION:

A diet with little carbohydrate and a great deal of protein and fat resulted in a considerably heightened level of total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol in young, healthy women with a normal bodyweight. The findings indicate that a low-carb diet may have a negative impact on individual risk profiles. However, the study is small-scale and the results must be interpreted with caution.

(What's that? Low-carb diets can cause heightenened cholesterol levels? Oh no, and doesn't high cholosterol leads to heart disease, diabetes, and stroke?)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23223345

CONCLUSIONS:

A diet that partially replaces carbohydrate with unsaturated fat may improve insulin sensitivity in a population at risk for cardiovascular disease. Given the well-recognized challenges of sustaining weight loss, our results suggest an alternative approach for improving insulin sensitivity.

(Oh wow! So low-carb diets are appropriate for people with insulin sensitivity? But only a portion of the population actually have a problem with insulin?)

You know... this was fun. But seriously, as I stated earlier, a balanced diet is what is needed for good health. Omitting carbs is only appropriate for a percentage of the population. I'm not saying that the OP doesn't have a problem with insulin, however, it is important to keep in mind that carbs aren't going to be a problem for everyone, and demonizing a food group could only cause, an otherwise healthy person, to cause themselves a nutrient deficiency so let's try to keep things in perspective, shall we?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    i have hypothyroidism if that matters.

This was diagnosed by your doctor?
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    If one were capable of completely omitting carbs from their diet, they would die.

I am still correct that the body cannot function without carbs

The body needs carbs to function.

However, you don't need carbs in your diet. Your body can manufacture the carbs it needs from protein and fatty acids.

So, you are right and wrong. You will not die if you completely omit carbs from your body, but the body will not function without carbs.

Semantics. Obviously, you understood my point.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I just ate 450g of carbs 2hrs before bed time. I'll post tomorrow if I'm still alive. Wish me luck.
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    yes, carbs is the debil.....
    tumblr_lncnvcbmsw1qzma3no1_500.gif \m/
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I just ate 450g of carbs 2hrs before bed time. I'll post tomorrow if I'm still alive. Wish me luck.

luck
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    If you don't have enough money to eat this way then do what is necessary to make enough money.do not accept poverty. that too is a choice.

Ayyyyy really? That extra comment was pretty unnecessary and inaccurate. Check out the statistics on social mobility in the United States. Surely all those people who struggled and grew up in poverty simply chose to continue the tradition, right? Tell me, what is so appealing about poverty?

Don't bother. People that feel that way cannot be convinced otherwise. There are entire large groups of people that truly feel that poverty is a choice. Self-entitled much? Probably very sheltered lives, is what I typically think.

I see your point. Really. However, it's still frustrating and upsetting to me since I know people who are working their butts off to get out of poverty and keep running into obstacle after obstacle. Who are these people to tell them that being in poverty is a choice? I want to push people to stop being so sheltered and disconnected, if that's the case.

Thanks for your response. I just couldn't let that comment slide.

I was raised on welfare in the US. I dropped out of high school and worked in fast food for 6 years. I then got my GED, got accepted to college and then grad school and now I am in the 10% income bracket.

It's like a lot of things: you need to make a long series of committed choices and have a lot of luck and support to change your circumstances when you come from that background. For a lot of people, the cards stacked against them are insurmountable given their life resources. I wouldn't call it a choice.

On the other hand, you aren't going to accidentally wind up out of poverty. The people who make it have to go out and find the resources to do it.

Finally, the OP is from Lehore, not the US. Being raised on welfare in the US puts me in the top 1% of income worldwide. I got fed every day. Telling somebody to "go out and earn more money" is ridiculous in the US. Outside the US, it doesn't even translate.
  • markheusser
    markheusser Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Carbs aren't bad. However, FOR ME, what helped me start losing again was to lower my carbs to under 30, sometimes under 25.

how do you have any energy?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    No, carbohydrates are an essential quick energy source. Unless you have a health problem, as long as you are eating plenty of fruits and vegetables for nutrition, a normal diet should be fine. The way I think about it is that there are three energy sources: carbs, protein and fat. Generally, we don't need to limit our protein (and it burns the slowest), so we need to limit carbs and fat. Some people limit both. Some people limit one or the other. It just depends on what works for you.
    This is well stated. And, since you DO have a heath problem, one that makes it harder to lose weight, *you* may find that you need to watch the carbs that come from breads, white sugars, etc. in order to lose weight easily. But, you really should talk to an endocrinologist, or at least your GP about how best to diet with your medical condition.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    bad carbs come from sugars, high fructose corn syrups and related sweeteners, honeys, molasses, fruits, breads and grains, and starchy vegetables like potatoes and carrots.
    good carbs come from leafy green vegetables, squashes and such.
    use the keto calculator (its free) to arrive at the amount of protein, fats and carbs you may need and set those figures into MFP.
    to the extent you consume carbs, it's ideal to have them early in the day and to be 'carb free' at night and allow your body 12 hours of 'ketosis' to consume fats while you sleep.

my carb intake varies between a low of 20 grams per day to a high of 100 grams per day, always in the am (breakfast). to the extent I use sweeteners I use Truvia. MFP will often default to as much as 300 grams of carbs a day which is way too much. pretty much under 100 grams is considered low carb but many folks go to 50 (I have) with little difficulty. Those who tell you carbs don't count and such are simply incorrect. The science of low carb is overwhelming.

If you don't have enough money to eat this way then do what is necessary to make enough money.do not accept poverty. that too is a choice.

smh
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Carbs are not bad for the average person. In fact, they are very good. Those who are insulin resistance need to limit carbs, and especially foods/meals that are high in carbohydrates and low in protein and fiber. Eating carbohydrates with fiber and protein slows digestion and eliminates a quick spike in blood glucose (often refered to as a 'sugar rush'), which is followed by a fast drop in blood glucose, which can trigger hunger. These blood glucose spikes can be dangerous if you are insulin resistant.
    Also well stated (as always)
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    how do you have any energy?

There's twice as much in fats as in carbs, per gram.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I don't know everything but I am in school to be a Dietitian right now. About 50% of your daily caloric intake should come from carbs. Too much of it will turn into fat, just like anything else. You just need to balance healthy carbs with fat and protein intake. Too much protein can also be bad. Mix carbs with proteins, fats, and vegetables for optimal diet. Also try to stay away from white carbs and simple sugars which are what provide the sugar rush.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,680 Member
    Options
    It all depends what training you do for the ratio of carbs protein and fats.

I know football/soccer players that eat 4 carbs to 1 protein ,med fats(20-30%) and eat 4000 cals a day.
    Really? If a soccer player's TDEE is 3500, then that means eating this much would make them gain weight.
    I know body builders (natural) eat 1 carbs to 4 protein, low fats. these eat 2500cals-3500cal a day.
    Natural bodybuilder all my life. My ratio has always been 30c/40p/30f. On a cut, I have to eat less than 2500 based on age and a lowered metabolism.
    Low carbs diets are so you dont have to train so intense to loose weight as it has more to do with eating than exercise.
    Actually low carb diets are designed for the body to utilize reserve energy stores instead of carbs for energy.
    Imo its 75% diet(what you eat) and 25% training.
    This is your most accurate statement.
    The problem is that most ppl trying to loose weight use the bodybuilding methods of eating which is good but imo most of the bodybuilders i know take magic pills and advise natural ppl how to loose weight,what they dont understand is that its a different process.
    It's not a different process (calorie deficit), but a different method. Most bodybuilders rely more on "clean" eating, along with high protein and heavy lifting and minimal cardio. It works, but not all people want to lose weight this way.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,680 Member
    Options
    bad carbs come from sugars, high fructose corn syrups and related sweeteners, honeys, molasses, fruits, breads and grains, and starchy vegetables like potatoes and carrots.
    good carbs come from leafy green vegetables, squashes and such.
    use the keto calculator (its free) to arrive at the amount of protein, fats and carbs you may need and set those figures into MFP.
    to the extent you consume carbs, it's ideal to have them early in the day and to be 'carb free' at night and allow your body 12 hours of 'ketosis' to consume fats while you sleep.

my carb intake varies between a low of 20 grams per day to a high of 100 grams per day, always in the am (breakfast). to the extent I use sweeteners I use Truvia. MFP will often default to as much as 300 grams of carbs a day which is way too much. pretty much under 100 grams is considered low carb but many folks go to 50 (I have) with little difficulty. Those who tell you carbs don't count and such are simply incorrect. The science of low carb is overwhelming.

Pseudoscience. It's going to come down to macro ratio and how individuals react (like a diabetic) to carbs. Carbs aren't evil, over consumption of it is.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    YES. If you eat 1 carb, YOU WILL DIE. That is a FACT. Science.

Do you have links to the studies showing this?

This person has a sense of humor. You're taking it too seriously. :-)
    100% of people eating carbs will die. 100% of people not eating carbs will die. Teehee.
  • pennyscabin
    pennyscabin Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I would like to address the comment about the "cost" of buying protein and fats for a low carb diet. I have found that I am more satisfied on a low carb diet. I am not scavenging for high carb snacks (like Doritos which are now $4/bag). I am actually seeing a drastic reduction in my food bill. A small container of tuna, a boiled egg, and many of the high protein items are very low cost. I believe that a low carb lifestyle is a great cost savings! I cannot speak to the thyroid issues though and I believe that everyone needs to identify their own needs and do what's best for them. THIN does not equal HEALTHY...I know a lot of thin people who are not healthy. I wish you the very best and success in whatever route you take to health!!!