How can i recover from a 5000 calorie binge , help :(

Options
I ate about 6000 calories yesterday . My whole week of hard work gone. It took me 3 weeks to loose ONE pound and i ruined it all . In just one night . Im already depressed , now i just feel,absolutley hopless , please help me . Only serious advice .. Im at my breaking point . How can i get on track again ..

Replies

• whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    You can either move on from it and just accept that it happened.
    Or moderately reduce your calories for the next few weeks to average it out.

However, if you had a 5,000 calorie binge and ate a total of 6,000 calories, that tells me that your goal was only 1,000 calories, which is incredibly low if you are a man.
  • maryjaquiss
    maryjaquiss Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Stop. Breathe. Start afresh tomorrow. The worst thing you can do is turn it into a week of 5000 calories - just get back on that horse!
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    You can either move on from it and just accept that it happened.
    Or moderately reduce your calories for the next few weeks to average it out.

However, if you had a 5,000 calorie binge and ate a total of 6,000 calories, that tells me that your goal was only 1,000 calories, which is incredibly low if you are a man.

Wise advice. Take a look at your calorie goal to see if its really something you can handle without binging.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    If you are a young guy your TDEE is probably between 2000-3000. So if you went over that by 2-3000 that is less than one pound of actual fat you could potentially "gain". No worries, dude! Cut yourself a break and move on. :wink:
  • Brandonshields97
    Options
    My goal is actual 1800 cals but yesterday i ate a total of 5 or 6 thousand
  • mag131
    mag131 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    You accept that you screwed up, recommit, and keep pushing forward!

Increase your exercise for the next few weeks. Mix it up with HIIT for some intense burns.

Beating yourself up won't help. Instead focus on what will.

Good luck. :)
  • whierd
    Options
    So your binge was much less than you thought. You were only 3,200-4,200 over your goal.

Binging is usually a result of either eating too few calories or severely restricting the foods you eat to only "healthy" foods.

What is your height and weight?
  • chezzamanezza
    Options
    I have done that in the past and given up. Don`t be disheartened. Just forget it and start a fresh tomorrow. Don't thunk of it as all your hard work ruined. Think of it as tomorrow is day one. Exercise a little harder, eat a little bit more consciously and let your body do the rest. It may not be as bad as you think xx
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options

Agreed. If your daily calorie goal is too low, you're probably going to binge.

Also, it takes about 3,500 excess calories to create a pound of fat. If you weighed yourself this morning then some weight is just the bulk of the food in your system. It'll drop back down once it's digested/eliminated. Just don't succumb to hopelessness and keep piling more excess calories on top of it. Success or failure is measured by how you react to setbacks, not whether you have them.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    What caused the binge? Can you make sure it doesnt happen again?
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    If I have a mega binge, I try to cut calories by a couple/few hundred for the next couple of days to do a bit of damage control. Two days is my limit, though, then I get back to eating at goal. The other option is to start fresh right now and aim to have a week of at-goal days. In the long run, one crazy day isn't going to have much of an effect.
  • gk03ub
    gk03ub Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Accept that it happened and move on. Restricting calories will not help as it might even lead to another binge.
  • iheartbiology
    iheartbiology Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm recovered from binge eating (EDNOS, 2009) and here's what I've learned:

1) Drink a LOT of water. You'll need it to deal with the sodium.
    2) Be kind to yourself. The last think you need to do is beat yourself up about it.
    3) Plan out your food fo the next couple of days so you can eat well without thinking about it.
    4) Try to figure out the circumstance that caused the episode & think of a couple of different strategies to deal with it next time. Think HALT: Was I hungry, angry, loney, or tired?
    5) (This one is most in important) Forgive yourself.
  • blondiebabe92
    blondiebabe92 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    actually depending on your weight the Maintenance level will be in 2000-3000 depending on your weight, height, age, and activity level.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    OP, looking back at your post history it seems that you're 5'10", 161 lbs and 15% body fat, but you're obsessed with losing 20 lbs or getting to 9% body fat. You keep asking the same types of questions, then people give you good advice or ask you for more details and you ignore them (or in one case call them "stupid *kitten* answers") and then you post again. What is it that you're looking for? You're a teenage male and I know everything seems super-dramatic at this point in your life, but 20 lbs is not life-altering. You need to get your head straight and start taking a sensible and level-headed approach to getting the body you want and stop looking for quick fixes and stop ignoring advice. There's a lot of experience here. Maybe find someone whose pictures look the way you want to look and ask them what they do.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Maybe because the only ppl that have been giving me advice are people unsuccessful ppl and ones who are just as far from there goal weight as i am . If there advice were so good they would be were they want to be and they arent ... So i constantly post these post and hope for a successful person to come along and give me some real advice instead of a bunch of unsuccessful ppl that bearly know what there talking about .

srs?
  • whierd
    Options
    OP, looking back at your post history it seems that you're 5'10", 161 lbs and 15% body fat, but you're obsessed with losing 20 lbs or getting to 9% body fat. You keep asking the same types of questions, then people give you good advice or ask you for more details and you ignore them (or in one case call them "stupid *kitten* answers") and then you post again. What is it that you're looking for? You're a teenage male and I know everything seems super-dramatic at this point in your life, but 20 lbs is not life-altering. You need to get your head straight and start taking a sensible and level-headed approach to getting the body you want and stop looking for quick fixes and stop ignoring advice.U There's a lot of experience here. Maybe find someone whose pictures look the way you want to look and ask them what they do.
    Maybe because the only ppl that have been giving me advice are people unsuccessful ppl and ones who are just as far from there goal weight as i am . If there advice were so good they would be were they want to be and they arent ... So i constantly post these post and hope for a successful person to come along and give me some real advice instead of a bunch of unsuccessful ppl that bearly know what there talking about .

0funnyohnoyoudidnt_2.gif
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I ate about 6000 calories yesterday . My whole week of hard work gone. It took me 3 weeks to loose ONE pound and i ruined it all . In just one night . Im already depressed , now i just feel,absolutley hopless , please help me . Only serious advice .. Im at my breaking point . How can i get on track again ..

break it down, baby. :)

600 cals yesterday. and you need how many for maintenance? I forgot to check before I started this, so I'll guess wildly at 2,500.

So: you have consumed an extra 35oo cals. in one day.

Yes. that's a pound. You've sent yourself down a snake (if anyone plays that game any more) of approximately 1 week at 1lb a week, or 3 1/2 days at 2lb a week. Bugger.

You know, I was wandering down the street during my usual walk thinking that it wouldn't be all that hard to stack on 6000 cals in a day. It really wouldn't take much. All you have to do is have a usual breakfast - 300, then an average lunch - 400... then go out with your mates and have entree, main, dessert, coffee, cheese and about 5 drinks.

you wouldn't even have to do that. You could have bar nibbles, 10 beers, a main and a glass of water.

I think everyone here will have had at least 1 6000 calorie day in their lifetime! Welcome to the club! :D
  • kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    OP, looking back at your post history it seems that you're 5'10", 161 lbs and 15% body fat, but you're obsessed with losing 20 lbs or getting to 9% body fat. You keep asking the same types of questions, then people give you good advice or ask you for more details and you ignore them (or in one case call them "stupid *kitten* answers") and then you post again. What is it that you're looking for? You're a teenage male and I know everything seems super-dramatic at this point in your life, but 20 lbs is not life-altering. You need to get your head straight and start taking a sensible and level-headed approach to getting the body you want and stop looking for quick fixes and stop ignoring advice.U There's a lot of experience here. Maybe find someone whose pictures look the way you want to look and ask them what they do.

0funnyohnoyoudidnt_2.gif

Yes. Yes, I think he just possibly did.

*reaches for popcorn* < you know, low calorie and within my alllowance, because even though I might be some way from goal it doesn't mean I'm failing, I have lost half a stone so far, and have a good scientific grounding for the knowledge I learn here. Just in case you were wondering OP.
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options

It's 1 thing to be an 18 yr old dolt. it's quite another to show it.

I've lost 5kg in 3 weeks. that's 15lb to you. how many pounds did you want to lose, dear?

Everyone's being nice to you. you're 18, you have a massive binge, teenagers do this. It's normal. you then freak out about it. Okay, people are, again, nice to you.

And then you come out with this crap. Go take a long walk off a short pier mate.
This discussion has been closed.