anyone quitting smoking?

Options

Replies

• Ambersandy
    Ambersandy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I really don't think you can quit smoking and diet.

I quit smoking 22 months ago - cold turkey - and there is no way I could have dieted . Quitting is very difficult and you really need to be able to eat what you want in the early days. I think you know when the time has come to tackle the weight gain.

I'm not a doctor, but I would say quitting smoking would be more beneficial to you than dieting.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
  • ikikass76
    Options
    I really don't think you can quit smoking and diet.

I quit smoking 22 months ago - cold turkey - and there is no way I could have dieted . Quitting is very difficult and you really need to be able to eat what you want in the early days. I think you know when the time has come to tackle the weight gain.

I'm not a doctor, but I would say quitting smoking would be more beneficial to you than dieting.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Uhm, everyone is different. I quit 3 weeks and 2 days ago and have lost 6 pounds (maybe more) so far. I work out every day and eat properly. I've become way more conscious of what I do with and put into my body now that I'm not smoking. I quit cold turkey and use a nicotine-free e-cigarette if I really need to satisfy the urge to inhale something.
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking two months ago and use an e-cigg. It might be cheating but whatever, I don't stink, its WAY cheaper, I don't have smoker cough anymore, and for the first time EVER I can run and it's all good. I'll be a cheater lol
  • rabbit1057
    Options
    Tomorrow 10/03/13 will be 2 weeks since I quit smoking. I smoked for 40 years!!! Got a prescription for patches but decided to do it on my own....
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow 10/03/13 will be 2 weeks since I quit smoking. I smoked for 40 years!!! Got a prescription for patches but decided to do it on my own....

That's so awesome, congrats!
  • noglamour
    noglamour Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I quit in 2006 after smoking for 12 years. I used laser therapy. I used a nicotine patch for a few days before the session. Right before the session I took the patch off and never needed it again.
  • SJRockz
    SJRockz Posts: 12
    Options
    Good for you!!

I'm going to try and quit also. I mean, what's the point of dieting if you're only smoking in the tar right??
  • bethapostolasdwyer
    Options
    Congratulations! You are not cheating! You are doing what you need to be successful. People who tell you different probably never smoked or they forget how terrible hard it is. Keep up the great work!
  • LonnaAllen
    Options
    10/8/13 Started Personal Trainer Food progam
    10/9/13 Quit Smoking with patch

Yay! I thought I was the only one crazy enough to quit smoking and start a diet at the same time LOL
    I'm attending a quit smoking class at my local health department and have benefited from the motivation and education as well the free patches and gum. I've tried to quit before with hypnosis, cold turkey and the E-cig. The patch is really working well for me. Cravings very manageable.

A groupon offer for 1/2 off the Personal Trainer Food program was too good to pass up. The day before I quit smoking I rec'd my 28 day supply of food. I find that quitting cigs and carbs and sugar is easier than I thought! I never know if I'm craving a cigarette or a piece of bread, lol - but I'm doing well. I enjoy the food on PTF.

Goo luck to you - and the rest of us crazies :) Keep us posted on your progress, and I'll update mine.
  • Vickster36
    Vickster36 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi all I stopped smoking on 1/10/13 so nearly 2 weeks now going ok. Sometimes think the dieting is keeping my mind off the *kitten* ;)
    Please add me as I can do with all the help I can get and will try and help you aswell good luck everyone we can do this
  • SomeWhatTwisted
    Options
    I'm one week in using Allen Carr's easyway to stop smoking, I already feel so much better :D
  • Chicklit007
    Options
    Quitting smoking is the first reason that I came to this site. I quit a 26 year habit in April and have gained 29 pounds in the process. My profile pic is a before and after. April to now. It is my motivation to lose the 29 pounds. However, the MAIN reason I am here is because I want to GET TONE AND FIRM. Even though I LOOK fit in my "before" pic.....I am NOT. It's all smoke and mirrors. lol Underneath of those jeans is nothing but flab and cellulite!!

I am 44 years old and have NEVER been tone and tight. HOWEVER, if I can quit a 26 year smoking habit, then I can get tone!! FOR REAL! lol I just need a great support group and some motivation. Those are the things that you will need too in your endeavor to quit smoking once and for all.

PS....watch your diet. I didn't and I paid the price.
  • joni92258
    Options
    I quit smoking on 9/30/13. Have lost 6 lbs so far! Life is good!
  • kjimmie4848
    kjimmie4848 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking on 9/15/13! After 2 weeks I had some troubles that I contribute to nasty chemicals still in my system and did a 7 day cleanse that seemed to do the trick. About 2 weeks after that I got my first high blood sugar reading and here I am. I have lost 10 pounds since I quit. Good luck to everyone trying!

ETA: I was a 20 year smoker with a few "pauses"
  • LaurensE1
    LaurensE1 Posts: 196 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I've quit smoking on 9/1/13. I just changed my mindset completely but I do miss it, however I will not give in. So keep strong everyone!
  • unluckyclover2000
    Options
    Not only did I quit smoking several months ago, but also I have dropped 20 lbs. If you run, you won't want to smoke.
  • klm888
    klm888 Posts: 15
    Options
    30+ year smoker, 1+ pack a day. I used Chantix for about 3 weeks, but didn't like the weird dreams. Went cold turkey after that and have been smoke free since the end of May. My only regret is going off the MFP wagon while quitting. I gained 15 pounds since since then and have just recently gotten back on MFP. I wish you all the luck in the world, trust me, life is so much better smoke free! :happy:
  • michelefrench
    michelefrench Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I quit while actively losing weight...used the e-cig for maybe a month but completely smoke free for last 90 days...and still lost weight..
    smoked for over 20 years so it IS possible.....
  • jaycbrf4
    Options
    I started when I was 15 cause I wanted to be like my dad. In college friends would always ask me for a cig cause they knew I had a full pack of Marlboro's in my pocket to go with the open pack I was carrying. I actually loved smoking. I loved the smell of the nicotine on my fingers and would suck on them when I needed a fix.

My fiance hated the smell and always told me to quit. When she was pregnant with our first son 11yrs ago @ 33yrs old - I began only smoking outside. I would stand in the snow in my underwear smoking and not care about the cold.

I tried Welbutrin, it worked but made my crazy, I had major anger issues after that and within a year I was smoking again.

A few years later I tried Chantix. That worked for a year and a half, but due to stress I was back again.

Well I am now 43, 10/22 was my b-day, and I can say for a change I do not want to be like my dad anymore. He died in Feb of 2012 of complications due to Lung Cancer. He asked me from his bed @ Sloan Kettering to quit for him and I did. Within a week I quit cold turkey. Our second child was born a month later and dad never got to see her. But thanks to him I quit and this time for good.

I now love the smell of everything else on my fingers, I smell like Gain instead of cigarettes. My son is happy I don't smoke anymore and thinks it is disgusting. My daughter will never know me as a smoker and for that I am thankful as well.

Good luck to all trying to quit. It is the single most important thing you can do in your lifetime for your life-time!

On a side note, after I quit I gained 30lbs But some of it was stress from the new baby. But thanks to MFP and Atkins I am bask down to the weight I was years ago. 6'1" 186lbs. No more high blood pressure. No more heartburn. Lowering my cholesterol. HAPPY!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I quit, I still want one all the time tho