WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2013

Options

Replies

• Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Good Afternoon and welcome to the new month. I made it about 50% for my Sept goals. So today is a new day and new month. Last night we went riding and checked out the rivers outside of town. Two weeks ago they were bone dry. Full over the banks now. A friend that has a farm not far from one of the rivers said she is pumping water out of her basement. They we stopped to visit a friend in Chapman (about 10 miles) and when we went to leave the throdder cable on the trike broke. So friend had to bring us home and tonight after work DH will take the pickup and trailer and bring it home. Gotta laugh or at this point I would cry. But believe God is in control and this is a better month.

Lee--Welcome. Come post often and get to know us. I count whatever I drink, mostly diet soda and water. I weigh once a week on either Monday or Tuesday depending on which day I work. I weigh on a scale at the hospital where I work. Go early and weigh before work, I figure that way it is the same scale and about the same time. I have also learned from these wounderful ladies that this is NOT a diet, it's a lifestyle change.

Sandy--Glad your birthday meal went well and you got to know DS's girlfirend better. Hugs to you over the mom deal. It is not easy when things feel left unchanged. But you have done the right thing for you and your family and that is what is important..

Michele--I have a question. Was it your mom's grave they put the 2nd wife in? That just seems so wrong!! I think writing Daina a letter is a good idea. It keeps the lines open and shows you care. Just don't expect big changes over night. I put my squash in the pasta drainer then put the sause on. Great price on gas. We buy most our stuff at HyVee as you get cents on gas for sale items. It can really add up. Hope all goes well with DD and her job with the chimps. Sounds interesting and fun. I remember growing up I saw an ad in a paper for a monkey. For $19.99 you got the monkey, a cage and two outfits. I thought my dad was so mean as he would not let me have one.

Rita--Sound like things are falling into place for the new job and home. Congrates!! Hope you feel better soon.

Syliva--Congrates on the weight loss and exceeding your goal for September. I like you new goal of working in the studio an hour a day.

Heather--Sounds like your trip is going well. Thanks for sharing. Happy Birthday and may you have a very Blessed day.

Critte Sue--Sorry for your loss of Ryder. We lost two of our this last year and it about put me over the edge. They become so much a part of our lives and love us no matter what. My home feels so empty and somedays I still expect to see Sassy come running when I get home. Toby is really lonely with them gone as he has never been a singe dog before. I keep thinking we need to get him a friend.

Amanda--Glad you are feeling better. Red headed baby, how cute. My DMIL had bright red hair and wore it long. Several of you children and grandchildren also have red hair. DH's is really red in the winter and then in summer the more he is outside the lighter it gets. I always tell him anyone can pick his kids out of a crowd with the red hair.

Pat--Sounds like you had a good trip. Sometimes its scary to try new foods. I love most fish. Long as they have the heads off. I remember years ago DH and I ordered fish at this fancy dinner club and they had the heads on. I could not eat as I thought they were watching me. Ever since whenever we eat somewhere new before I order fish I ask is the head will be on or off.

Sue--Congrates on the good report from the doctor.

Kathy--Prayers and hugs. Take it One day at a time, One step at a time and know we are here for you.

Welcome Tazgirl--You join by posting. Bump means to safe your place, but I am not sure how that works as I also note where I was so can find it again. We like to know where people are from so sign with your name or nickname and where you are from. Come back often and get to know us.

I surprised myself and have my goals for October done. My be hope for me yet!

October Goals
    1. Log every bite--honest
    2. Do 1 act of kindness a day
    3. Be good to myself
    4. Relax! Enjoy the Fall Weather

Blessed!
    VickiL GI NE
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I am getting back on track after gaining 75% of my 20 pounds that I worked so diligently to lose!

Goal for October:
    2 thirty minute walks
    Once weekly strength and stretch class
    One fitness DVD weekly
    8 cups H20 daily
    log faithfully
    Strive for five (combo 5 fruits/veggies daily)
    Eat back exercise calories

I am taking baby steps, and so far I have dropped one pound! I am excited to make progress again.
    Thank you for this thread!!! Support is a great motivator!
  • tazgirl1960
    tazgirl1960 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the replies. My name is Tina, and I am a Florida Girl Born and Raised. I have 5 children and 9 grandchildren who are my world.
  • CritterSue
    CritterSue Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your sweet words and comfort. I'm having a better day today, and starting to reach out instead of isolate-which is what I tend to do when I'm down. This is such a wonderful group of fabulous women!
    I hope to those who are struggling, better days come soon.
    Feels good to log my food again. Makes me really think about where I want to spend my given calories!
    Hugs to you all,
    Critter Sue :smile:
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone! I reported for jury duty today. I have to call in several times a week for the rest of the month to find out whether there will be a trial. I hope I get to serve on a jury sometime along the way. I’ve been called many times, but never served as a juror. Most of that is because no trials were scheduled. I had to be excused for family reasons twice, and once I was simply not chosen. We’ve had home network problems that DH has worked on all day. I actually composed this message hours ago and will try to send it now, though I know I’ve missed many of your messages.:grumble:

September goals:
    1. Log every bite: I did a good job of this.
    2. Move more: I got regular exercise, and also joined a fitness challenge but didn’t participate as I’d hoped. I’m getting some muscle definition in my arms thanks to hard work and yoga, but my thighs are sloppy. Suggestions welcome.
    3. Drink at least 4 glasses of water daily: Spotty. I did drink more water, but didn’t always make the 4 glasses. When I did make the 4 glasses I ended up with weight losses. I need to continue this goal and work on improving my performance.

Joyce: We had a good solution for Halloween candy last year. I bought candies with 50 calories in individual wrappers. That way I had an easy time of dealing with the leftovers. We almost never get any trick-or-treaters so I always have left over candy. If it had more than 50 calories per serving, I didn’t buy it. :flowerforyou:

Michele: We’ve tried spaghetti squash several times and didn’t like it because it is too sweet. The last time we used the microwave & liked it best, although I still think it is too sweet. We cut it in half and scraped out the seeds. DH can’t remember whether it was face up or down, and neither can I.:ohwell:

Grandmallie: I hope you don’t catch anything from your coworker. It would be a shame to spoil your vacation with illness. Wiping things down was a good idea.:flowerforyou:

Amanda: I hope you are soon able to stay away from the hospital. I’m glad you’re doing well so far. I hope your DH’s niece is able to leave the hospital soon. We had a neighbor child with Down’s syndrome years ago. She was a charming girl with a happy heart. We moved away from that city more than 30 years ago and lost track of the neighbors.:flowerforyou:

Critter Sue: I’m sorry you lost a beloved pet. Dogs have added so much peace and happiness to our lives, and we’ve grieved each loss. Their life spans are so short compared to ours. I will continue to grieve losses and have more dogs as long as I am able. Cherish your happy memories.:flowerforyou:

Pat (Phoo): We went to Eastern Oregon to get a boat and towed it 400 miles home in weather that was stormy. We all handled the trip very well, including people, dog, and equipment.:bigsmile:

Liz: Take care of yourself. I have several friends who suffer with fibro and have sympathy for your situation. You can only do your best to manage everything and need to cut yourself a little slack when necessary.::ohwell: :flowerforyou:

Heather: Thank you so much for sharing your impressions of Rome. I am unlikely to visit there in DH’s lifetime. He refuses to fly because it makes him so miserable. Flying that distance would be unthinkable at this stage in our lives. I think the apartment is a brilliant idea because it gives you a true home base with control over your meals. :bigsmile:

Robin: What a beautiful baby. Thanks for sharing Ande’s picture. Congratulations again.:flowerforyou:

Be safe and happy!
    Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

October goals:
    1. Log every bite
    2. Move more.
    3. Drink at least 4 glasses of water daily.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Katla :flowerforyou: yes that's a good idea to buy 50 calorie packs but when you can't stop at eating just one of those packs, it becomes a problem. I guess I could buy dark chocolate. But if there is chocolate in the house it's a non stop chocolate frenzie for me. I don't have stopping power.

Joyce, Indiana
  • bloodhoundlady
    bloodhoundlady Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm melodie just recently came back to mfp and saw your thread. I am 51 years yound and married for 29 years with 3 grown daughters. I also am a ICU Nurse and my job has caused a lot of stress and emotional eating. I was in may over 125 lbs overweight, probally more but that is my goal to get to 155 lbs. May 28th I finally got my act together and joined a gym. I met a trainer who got me onto Clean Eating, working out a cardio and strength training program and got me on my way. Since I have lost 48 lbs and over 35 inches on my fat body and still have a ways to go but now know I can do this on my own but having a supportive group like this will help. I plan on reading the whole thread but wanted to post my story.
  • JennInTx
    JennInTx Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Happy October everyone. 22 more days before I leave for my vacation. I really would like to be a few pounds lighter, but I know I won't get there unless I get up and get moving. So I am going for a walk tonight.

Hope everyone has a great evening!
  • kayak_kutie
    kayak_kutie Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • Kalley1959
    Kalley1959 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Happy October - oh how I love the fall. This fall has been especially nice, warm and little rain.

Pat - thank you for your kind words. :heart: My motivation has always been my children. I'm doing much better today.

Heather - happy Birthday (tomorrow). I hope you have a wonderful day. :drinker:

Welcome to the new women, please come back often and post as often as you want. I look forward to getting to know you all.

I guess I am one of the luckier ones because Halloween doesn't bother me at all. Chocolate gives me instant migraine so I stay clear of it. I am a salt-a-holic, I would give my right arm for a bag of chips :laugh:

Granmallie - I hope you don't catch whatever your coworker has. My DD has been really sick this past week and I'm working on not getting whatever she has. Stay healthy, your vaca isn't far away now. :wink:

Robin - your granddaughter is so adorable.

Jenn in TX - where are you going on vacation?

Well, I haven't given much thought to October goals yet. I will and I will post them hopefully tomorrow.

I did make it to the Y tonight, did my walking and my 45 min bike ride. It did me good to be able just to put on my headphones and ignore the world for 45 min.

Sleep well everyone

:heart: Sandy from ON
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,945 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: I am so happy that once again I won’t be walking the weight loss trail by myself……welcome to all of you who are new…..keep coming back…we need you and want to get to know you

:bigsmile: Welcome back to all my Vitamin F pals who have been posting for awhile. No matter what your success was in September, October is full of great new possibilities.

:flowerforyou: Our solution to buying candy for the trick-or-treaters is to not buy any
    for many years we got several rolls of quarters from the bank and gave quarters----no tempting candy before the holiday and no tempting leftovers afterwards…….now we live in a neighborhood that gets no trick-or-treaters and all our grandchildren live in other states.

:heart: Barbie from very rainy NW Washington

"The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT."

“If it’s important to you then you will find a way, if it’s not you’ll find an excuse.”

1461351h0otf8hco5.gif

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: 29,000 steps today

October Resolutions
    *strength training three days a week
    *change some of my strength training routine
    *don’t take things personally
    *practice dance for 20-30 minutes three days a week
    * say “No” to candy
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Taking a few days and driving out to DD's college as she has a couple days off; planning a day at Biltmore Estate. Timing isn't great and we really need more time for this but she has few options these days as a senior. I'll drive out tomorrow and probably come back Saturday.

Barbie.......as always: Thanks for starting the new thread.

BTW........saw the movie Don Jon with a friend today; no idea how they kept an R rating........enough said.

Will work on goals, etc. and address these when I get back. Welcome newbies.

Bye for now---may get to read, but probably not post. Take care, ladies!
    yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic
  • lf4k
    lf4k Posts: 8
    Options
    Wow, you guys are prolific posters! Thank you for the warm welcomes and advice on my earlier questions. I suppose I should try to just weight once a week because daily is just insane. I'm up 2, then down 1.5 then up 1, then down 5, then up 2, then down.... you get the idea. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.

Heather, really enjoying getting to re-live Rome through your posts. Have a wonderful time! Did you happen to go to the Scavi tour at St. Peter's? It's an underground tour beneath the altar, supposedly where St. Peter's bones are buried. Fascinating...Rome is actually layers and layers deep and you can walk through what was streets and buildings underground. Will you be visiting anywhere else in Italy while on holiday?

Crittersue, I am so sorry about your baby. I lost my Corky almost 30 years ago and still grieve. It gets better, but you never forget.

Barbie, where are you in Washington? I'm near Salem, OR but went to college in Seattle and my oldest daughter (and fiancé!) live there now.

My October Goals:

1. Become more active on this board!
    2. Lose two pounds a week
    3. See life glass-half-full instead of half-empty

Wishing everyone a lovely, and healthy, evening. Heather, Buon compleanno!!!!

lf
    Oregon
  • sheltony
    sheltony Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    As the old October cool down begins, I'm a little concerned about not being able to go outdoors after work hours since the time will change out of dailight savings. Started going to the neighborhood gym and maybe that will help keep me moving and motivated. I'm looking forward to being a pirate wench with my husband the pirate for a Halloween party. My goal this month is to get another 2 or maybe even 3 pounds off my frame. I've come so far, and want to take that last 10 pounds off. Not in a hurry, though. If all I can manage this month is maintenance, it will be enough. So glad to have MFP in my life!
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Happy October to all my Vitamin F friends. I got derailed on the 19th of September, but once I got my game on again, it was with new resolve. Since August 12th I have lost 11 lbs. For October I am setting a goal of 5 lb loss, despite two birthdays and Canadian Thanksgiving. But I can only lose that weight if I make wise decisions every day. So here is my action plan:

- drink 8x8 oz of water each day and abstain from alcohol
    - no wheat products and other starches
    - same (or similar) breakfast each day
    - same (or similar) lunch each day
    - chicken or fish for dinner with tons of veggies
    - take a walk every day - even if it is a 5 minute one
    - take my breaks every day
    - say: "No thank you, I won't have any today" without the need to explain

I have found that the fewer decisions I am required to make about food every day, the better I am able to stick to my intentions and reach my goal. That is a very good reason to plan meals ahead of time and ensure the right ingredients are in the house.

:flowerforyou: Barbie, I agree on the approach for Halloween. We have no one come to our door anymore, yet DH buys a bag full of candy bars. I will suggest keeping the quarters handy instead.

Wishing you all a great October.

:heart: Renny
    Vancouver Island, BC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Katla :flowerforyou: yes that's a good idea to buy 50 calorie packs but when you can't stop at eating just one of those packs, it becomes a problem. I guess I could buy dark chocolate. But if there is chocolate in the house it's a non stop chocolate frenzie for me. I don't have stopping power.

Joyce, Indiana

I buy the smallest size package I can because I don't get many trick-ot-treaters. I end up with a small number of candies in the house in the first place and dole them out one a day or less. My grandma used to give away coins. It is a good option, too.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,364 Member
    Options
    christchild - glad to see ya

Did an hour of a Bosu DVD that I have. Tomorrow is yoga and then deep water

tazgirl - I make these pumpkin spice muffins. Basically, what is is is you take a box of spice cake mix, add to that a 20 oz can of pureed pumpkin, then bake for 30 min at 350. Easy for this time of year, too.

I, too, love October. But the one thing I don't like is that it is so cool in the morning you need to wear pants, then it gets warmer during the day so you need shorts, then it gets cooler at night and you need pants again.

Went to the hosp. to see a friend who had knee replacement surgery (and, of course, took her an apple bread), then went to AC Moore and got some silver Mardi Gras beads. I'll cut them down, hot glue them together, and make some "flapper" necklaces. Then went to get the oil in my car changed, then to Aldi's. Tonight we have Mexican Train to go to. I've asked Vince if we can leave around 9:30. If we stay much later, by the time we get home it is so late. I like to get things ready for the next day but when we have Mexican Train I don't have time. Which reminds me that I still have some things to do

jane - so sorry about your friend's hubby

Heather - what a wonderful place to spend your burthday. I spent mine two years ago in France at the Eiffel Tower. You are such an awesome cook

Kathy - I'm so sorry to read about your marriage. I just can't believe that someone wouldn't want another person to lose weight as long as it was healthy for them.

tazgirl - you join by posting!

laotte - come in often and you won't be able to help continuing on your journey

Leslie - I don't know if I can keep to only having 25 pieces of Halloween candy!

Vicki - when my mom was buried about 50 years ago, at the time they bought a plot for 3 caskets. Actually, in the end, my father opted to be buried at a veteran's cemetary so only 2 caskets are in that grave. They just buried his second wife on top of my mother. I do want Diana to know that I care. I'm thinking that at this point it really needs to be short notes, just something to let her know that she's thought of and that I'm taking the time to have it translated into her native language. When we had the letter we gave them for their wedding (one for Bryan in English, the same for Diana but in Spanish) I think she was touched by the fact that we had it translated for her. We went to this German restaurant one time and I ordered the fish. It came with the head on! That was the first time I ever had that happen to me. I cut the head off and we had to cover it and put it on the other end of the table. Guess it was just because we weren't used to it being served that way.

Tina - what part of FL are you in? I know FL is a big state (trust me, I know), but sometimes things just happen. Like when we moved to Newton, there was this guy on a synth forum in the same city. Not like Newton is that big at all.

Melodie - we're so glad you found us. I applaud you for getting a trainer and we certainly will help in any way that we can.

Sandy - you're like a friend of mine, chocolate gives her migranes. However, she can have the white chocolate Can you? What kind of headphones do you have? I had this pair that plugged into my ipod, they were over-the-head ones but folded into fourths. I must have had them for at least 7 (maybe more) years and they finally gave out. I originally tried using the earbuds but I found them such a pain, they'd fall out of my ears when I was exercising. These over-the-head ones didn't. but I can't even find something like them on Amazon, I don't think they're made any more. I did buy this pair that goes over your ears. What kind do you have?

barbie - Vince (having worked for Mars) firmly believes that for Halloween you need to give candy. You should see how much he buys! But you know something? The day after Halloween I make a stop at the soup kitchen -- never fails.

yanniejannie - what college does your dd go to?

Michele in NC
  • susanrechter
    susanrechter Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    Just came home after having dinner with a group of great lady friends. It was at the home of one of them and I have to say, her menu was perfect. She served baked salmon on a skewer, chicken chunks grilled on skewers, green beans, a light green salad with vinaigrette and small pieces of avocado and apple, grilled shrimp with a mint sauce, brown rice and for dessert, panacotta with spoonfuls of diced mango, kiwi and pineapple. Yum-mee. It was all so simple. I only ate about a quarter cup of the dessert and it was fantastic!
    I try to eat clean. Its difficult to say no to temptation but I am getting better.It's I have limited my sugar consumption and cut out rice, breads, glutens and I have totally nixed processed foods. I try to limit my carbs.
    No red meat, yes to fish and more fish. Ok to chicken 1/week and usually in curry.
    No to dairy (altho I had to taste the panacotta tonight). This has been a real change...no more half and half in coffee, so now I don't drink the coffee.
    No booze. No soda.
    Fiber in my food.
    Lots of water.
    yes to eggs.
    seeds and nuts in my granola with coconut milk every morning...sunflower, flax, chia, steel cut oats, slivered almonds all toasted then sprinkled with freshly ground cinnamon and golden raisins thrown in. 1/4 cup of granola and 1 cup SO coconut milk.
    10,000 steps/day
    weight lifting 2-3 time a week.
    apple a day.
    It's a puzzle that I am trying to put together.
    Good luck to everyone this month! It's a wonderful time of year!
    Susan
  • texasgal22
    texasgal22 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Looks like the consensus is in and women of 50's love October. :heart: count me in!
    I had to turn the air conditioner back on this afternoon after a couple of days of cool air, open windows :smile:
    All goes as forecast I can re-open them this weekend -yay!
    Popping in to say I did get my activity/exercise for the day so October has started off in the right direction.
    Keeping it short as it is getting late and I have to be up at 6 am to receive my grandson of 5 months :love:
    He is my Wednesday weight-lifting! :laugh:

May your sleep be restful and you rise to a bright, new day; God bless.

T-gal in Plano
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    When Mom and Dad were still living and Dad was alive they gave out pennies for Halloween. I'm surprised their house was never egged or anything. When Dad died Mom increased it to nickles. She said she had wanted to do that for years but Dad said no. I have told my husband that IF we do buy candy that at the end of the evening we will immediately go to where my daughter works and drop the remaining junk there. But I feel bad in doing that because she doesn't need it either. A big problem even if we buy small bars, small bags, etc is that whenever I hand out candy I usually take a piece for myself before I go sit back down. I think I will just tell Charlie that he can do it all himself this year. He loves to see the kids in costumes anyway.

Joyce, Indiana