WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2013

Options

Replies

• lf4k
    lf4k Posts: 8
    Options
    Hi, everyone! Hump day is winding down here on the West Coast, and I wanted to check in before I hit the hay. One of my October goals is to read/post/connect with you all!

Svbet, I'm with you on the exercising. I'm almost phobic about it.... right now I'm trying to focus on diet, water, and attitude, with the hope of conquering my hatred of exercise next. You mentioned that you'd like encouragement/support in this area too -- do you know what is holding you back? Do you just have some vague dislike (as I do), or health issues that make it difficult, or ....? Maybe if we can pin down what it is that is holding you back, we can find a way to conquer the battle. At least that is what I am telling myself!

Pat, how are the eyes doing? I've heard that applying ice helps some people....

Laura, wow, your home sold fast! Congrats! In my neck of the woods, houses are on the market for months and months. And even bigger congrats on the new grandbaby! I'm several years away from being a grandmother (I hope!), but I can't wait.... I really miss having little ones around. Mine are 25, 23, 20 and 16. The 23 year old is getting married in January.

Barbie, have a fun weekend away! It sounds like it may be a work weekend, but hopefully you and hubby will have at least a few moments of romance and fun.

Jenn, have a fun cruise! I LOVE to travel, but am a cruise virgin.

Getting late here so need to keep this short-ish. I think I did okay calorie-wise today...we went out to dinner so am not quite sure what the calorie count was. I ordered a chopped salad (lettuce, spinach, cucumbers and tomatoes) with grilled tri tip, and about 2 T of blue cheese salad dressing. I also had a 'skinny' Long Island Ice Tea.

Anyway, wishing you all a good night's sleep and a great day tomorrow!

lf
  • susanrechter
    susanrechter Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Hi all!
    Barbie- I have knocked out dairy from my diet temporarily to see if my abdominal bloating goes down and to see if my sinus allergies are reduced. I have terrible allergies. I also found that it was one of the last elements of my diet to go and once I quit using dairy (half and half, cream, cheese) ....my weight started to drop. That was a vital discovery for me .My abd is less bloated and it may be associated to the weight loss and not necessarily the dairy.
    Now the other kicker is I have not been using my Zyrtec allergy pills as often...used them daily and sometimes twice a day. It is amazing what weight loss does for the body! BTW, I actually enjoy the taste of SO coconut milk, it is loaded with calcium, something you may want to look in to, and, it is lower in calories than milk!
    Off subject, who takes care of the puppies while you're away?

Sylvia- Bruno....I want him! He makes me smile hearing about his antics! You should write a book about him!!!
    Is he a rescue?

Katyla- I live in St. Louis, Missouri. Have been here now since I was 18 years old. My husband and I are empty nesters although my father lives with us.

Michelle- Am still training my cat. I think she is actually training me to give her extra treats with the training! Hmmm, she's a sly one! Too cute, peeks around corners and scampers a lot. I will post a picture of her once I figure how to!

I hope everyone has a wonderful day tomorrow!
    Susan
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    If and Svbet, I know what my biggest thing holding me back on the strength training. FEAR. Fear of failure. I have MS and when I have tried it before it wipes me out for a couple of days. Previously I have not been able to do anything involving the arms and the legs at the same time. That's what heat does to me. And with exercise comes over heating internally, not just externally. I do drink a lot of ice cold water when I'm at the Y. Sometimes a shower at home can do me in for about an hour. And in the past I have irritated some nerves in my upper back and neck doing some of the different strength training. So I am literally scared of trying it. I know I have built up some physical tolerance. When I started at the Y I wasn't even able to do 1 mile on the recumbent bike. Now I do 8 or 9. So I just stay over in the cardio area and don't even venture over to the other side. Do I know I need to??? You betcha I know. I'm just scared. Scared of failure, scared of hurting myself. Maybe even scared of succeeding. So I rack up calories burned on my bike and think I have done good. In the mean time my bat wings get bigger and bigger and my things get flabbier. And I just sit back and watch them

Joyce, Indiana
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Hi to all my dear friends. I feel like I have been beamed back down to earth finally!

CritterSue: so sorry for the loss of your beloved fur baby. Benny Beagle sends a big hug. The cats did too but don't want the dog to know. :)

Sandy: I'm glad you are a strong woman and can take care of yourself in such adversity. Hugs to you too.

I know there are others struggling I missed. It's 2 in the morning which is why this is short.

The only October goal I have is to gain some control in my life and to get on top of the diabetic diet. I really need to be better with planning although the blood sugars have been great....even after olive Garden with my students last night.

OK trying to go back to sleep now. I;ve gotten to where I'm up most of the night these days.

Take care, Meg from Omaha where it is storming
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,734 Member
    Options
    good morning ladies~
    prayers are needed.. it is not looking good,the company the DH works for will be furloughing 5,000 people including United Technologies Aerospace, 2,000 at Sikorsky and the rest between the DHs place and Pratt and Whitney.. and a week away from vacation... It is in God's hands, but something better change soon in Washington soon or we are all sunk...
    was up at 3:30 and had my lemon water and off to the gym,im back now..and have been feeling tired alot lately, why I dont know,maybe mental stress...
    with this looming over our heads I dont know how we can enjoy vacation...
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Laura:smile: So nice to see you again!!! Congrats on selling the house and the new baby!!!! I`ve missed your post, glad you`re popping in when you can!!!

Barbie:smile: Have a wonderful weekend!!!

Meg:smile: Hope you got back to sleep:yawn: ! I`m very grateful that I have no problem going to sleep or staying asleep most of the time!

Sue in TX:smile: Good to see you again!!!

Have a wonderful day ladies! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in beautiful and hot NC
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Good morning to everyone -- so excited because today is my travel day to spend a long weekend with my sisters! While I've pretty much been a slug the last few days due to workload, I should get loads of walking in over the next few days.

My October goals are the same as for the whole year:
    Weight Lifted: 2,000,000 lbs for the year, averaging 166,667 lbs per month
    Cardio: 16 hours per month

September results:
    Weight lifted: 172,230 / 1,677,850 YTD, so expect to hit the 2 million lbs in November
    Cardio: 19 hours

*** GEORGIA GALS ***
    I'm going to host a get-together at my place the last weekend of October. Send me a message with your availability on Saturday vs. Sunday. Meet and greet at the house and, for those who wish, Gibbs Gardens ($20 admission) in the afternoon for walking. I'm in Canton, GA, exit 14 (Holly Springs exit) off I-575, for location reference.

Need to get my things together and get on the airport. I'll be logging food, but don't know if I'll check the thread. Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Gail, metro ATL
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    Joyce
    Hubby keeps saying he wants to go to one car. I tell him he'd better get himself a pedal bike the vehicle stays at home.

Heather
    Happy Birthday and one sexy lady in that picture.

Sue
    Sorry to hear your victory drive was short lived. That musical sounds great. Hope you enjoyed it.

T-gal
    Yes the site is sure time consuming. I read all but don't respond to all. Almost impossible.

Katie
    Guess that pups owner is pleased with the mess.

Grandmaille
    Your supper didn't sound bad at all. I'm sure you had it in your calorie allowance.

Michelle
    My bad day was the cities fault. Chinese food is always an ouch. And wii told me that this morning. Did it on Tuesday but caught up to me today.

Barbie
    Enjoy Your weekend.

As for me all is well. Lost 1.6 this week making it 3 times in a row. Next week I get a t-towel and I want it. I keep all those for my granddaughter hope chest it's getting pretty nice. A few t- towels and I think 3 bath towels you need to loose 8 times consecutive for those. So going for one now.

Well Marylin Denis show is starting.

See you all lighter
    Linda in Northern Ontario.
  • cws4me
    cws4me Posts: 25
    Options
    October Resolutions
    *strength training three days a week
    *walk 30 min a day
    *dance for 20-30 minutes three days a week
    *try to not let life de-rail me from my goals

This has not been a good week for me. I put on 4 lbs and I know it is because of the stress I have been under this last week both at work and home. I am getting ready to go on a 2 week vacation and believe it or not, that in itself has been stressful. I can't wait to be be on the beach and just not think about anything.
  • kathyszoo
    kathyszoo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Wow, lots of posts since I was on yesterday!! :smile: My personal life is still in shambles but I'm happy to report that doing random acts of kindness makes me feel better! Not much else to report but just wanted to catch up and check in. Very stiff and sore today so taking an exercise break and bed is calling my name. :laugh:

Barbie-Hope you and your DH have a great time at your event! You deserve it! You are the glue that holds us all together from month to month. :flowerforyou:

Hugs to all! :heart:

Kathy in foggy IL
  • lila1958
    lila1958 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    My goal for October is getting back to work, I have been off for three months due to a foot injury. My job involves a lot of walking, and carrying extra weight doesn't help. I am tacking my calories and working out to my ability. I've lost 3 lbs so far on MFP, hey it's a start! Nice to have found this over 50 group, hard to keep up with the 20 year olds!
  • TAMayorga
    TAMayorga Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Hello, Ladies, I will not be 50 for a year or so, but would love to be a part of this group if allowed. :flowerforyou:

I do have one question for those of you who are at maintenance or are approaching your goal: are you happy with the way your face looks as you lose weight? I am VERY happy with the changes to my body, but my face is looking gaunt and my nose, ears, and chin are looking more prominent than I like. Do you get used to the new look, or do I just accept that if my body is going to be healthy, this is what my face is going to look like? Thank you!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I slept well last night, a blessing. :bigsmile: It has been cooler at night and I put an extra blanket on the bed. I was cozy all night without over heating. Yay! I’m going to yoga today after missing for a week while we traveled. I look forward to it. This morning DH saw an otter eating a fish in front of our house. The otter was floating on his back and happy.:heart: I love the otters and we haven’t seen much of them this summer. We’ve seen a lot of nutria. :tongue: This is a South American animal that was brought to the states as a source of fur coats back in the 50’s or 60s. When the “market” didn’t appreciate the pelts, the farmers turned them loose. They seem to be herbivores and eat a lot of marsh grass. I worry that they’re displacing native animals like muskrats, but I don’t actually know whether that is true.

Sylvia: Your food is bound to be better than Taco Bell. I hadn’t eaten any Taco Bell food since starting my diet, but when I went to see DD and DGD in June I had dinner there as a “treat”. My favorite of the past just didn’t taste as good to me; too much salt for one thing.:noway:

Sbvet805: Think of exercise as a way to “buy” more calories. It gets a nice new shine that way. :wink: I have eaten back a portion of my exercise calories since starting.

Joyce, If and Svbet: I love exercise these days. I feel more in control and can “earn” an extra treat if I want by exercising. It makes exercise a lot more appealing. I have never felt deprived during this whole experience. :bigsmile: I recommend yoga. It has helped me tone my arms and backside. I still have thigh work to do. It took months for me to be able to do a “down dog” without hurting myself, but I eventually got there. This really does require a teacher, though. Don’t plan to go out and buy a yoga video in place of taking a class.:noway:

Barbie: I can’t imagine a hotel charging for WIFI these days. Even the Super 8 has it for free. Your presence will be missed here, no matter how brief.:flowerforyou:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

October goals:
    1. Log every bite
    2. Move more.
    3. Drink at least 4 glasses of water daily.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,263 Member
    Options
    Hello all and thanks for all the fine compliments.:blushing: :blushing: :bigsmile:

Barbie - have a great weekend. You deserve it.

Grandmalie - here's hoping for the best. When you get on vacation I hope you will be able to relax. But I can really understand the worry.
    Today I walked at least 669 calories! Amazingly the only bit of me that's feeling it is the nail on my middle toe! Previously I have been crying with pain by mid afternoon. Everything would hurt. Today I just kept on going. It really does make it all worthwhile.
    First we walked for 1hr 20mins at at a very brisk pace to see the Bernini statue of St Teresa in ecstacy. Another one I have wanted to see since I was a teenager. She was one lucky lady!
    Then we went to the Palazzo Barberini to see Raphael's portrait of his mistress, the Baker's daughter. Again, a lady who looks well satisfied! Also some fabulous Caravaggios.
    Then we failed to see Bernini's Triton fountain, because it was boarded up. So we had lunch in the most incompetent place imaginable. I almost walked out, but I was starving and a bit dizzy.
    Then we made our way to the Colosseum. HUGE,!,! I was was impressed, but it was SO hot! We staggered on down to a cafe for a pot of tea. Phew! Time to go home on the tram. Calmed down with a beer and checked in for the flight tomorrow.

Last night's meal was not great. I enjoyed the occasion though. And the wine. And dressing up. But tonight's porcini omelette, cooked by me, with spinach, will be heaven, I'm sure.

Love to all. See you in England!
    Heather, in Rome.
  • Joyful777Jules
    Joyful777Jules Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    :smile: Bump for later
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    TAMayorga, I am no where near my goal or maintenence weight but I do know that it has been very difficult for me to smile for a picture before. My chipmunk cheeks were so prominent that I just couldn't. Not only was I so unhappy about the way I looked I just was plain embarrased about it. I am now standing in front of the mirror practising smiling because I feel pretty for the first time in many, many years. I don't know how to do it well in a picture yet but I'm trying. It's not that I don't smile, I do, just not for the camera. I do realize that all that skin that was stretched across those chipmunk cheeks is now sagging and I have lines that I have not seen before. But they are happy lines. I tried a new hair style with my slimmer smile but didn't like it. It wasn't me. So I went back to my old me hair style.

Joyce, INdiana
  • phoo513
    phoo513 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Good Morning, Ladies- Boy, it has been an exciting morning (and confusing, too)

My sister called me! Now, that is amazing for two reasons: 1- As some of you may remember, she has not wanted to talk to me for about two months and 2- She hasn't had long distance service for almost 10 years! She has found a way to save the house, so the state will not be taking it at the end of Nov. I did not ask for the details, I just told her how happy I was that she called & that I had been more worried about her than the house. I don't know is she believed me, but it is true. She also said that she detoxed herself from the Lortabs (very dangerous, said I) but that she is in great pain. I do believe that, her back is a mess. She has found a new doctor that says they can, should, and will do the surgery to correct the back, and that she will live through the surgery. I certainly hope that part is true. She sounded upbeat and in control for the first time in a long time. She did not sound weak and helpless, so I think getting the house taken care of, getting off the meds, and gettting some hope about her back has been a wonderful gift to her. I am very grateful that God has been working his miracles in her life. We ended on a good note, and I am very pleased.

I tried to get my air reservation changed so I could go home before Thanksgiving, but it would cost me another $300 to do that. The prices have skyrocketed since I got my reservation. So, I will fly out on Dec. 11th, but there will only be about 2 days in MN before I have to turn around and come right back to Az so that Bill can go to Phoenix on Dec. 19th to meet with his back surgeon! Dec. is going to be very hectic, I think. I don't know when his surgery will actually be, but I do know I will be in Phoenix with him when it happens.

I will be offsite again over the weekend, so if you do not hear from me, it isn't because I have abandoned the program. The scrapbook retreat is this weekend, and I will be playing all weekend! Hopefully, I will be able to avoid the treats table and concentrate on getting my work done.

Laura in Co- Congratulations on selling your house! :drinker:

Linda- Plain black tea or something herbal? I will try anything within reason at this point!

Joyce- Congratulations on the -1! You are getting there! :flowerforyou:

Heather- Happy Birthday! :flowerforyou:

Grandmallie- I am certainly praying that our gov't gets its head on straight very soon and gets back to taking care of business! Prayers for you and Hubbie.
    (You are correct- All of this is in God's hands; and, He loves us!- isn't that great!)

Michele- I have heard of the hair dryer trick, but wouldn't try it on my eye. I am going to try the tea bags, though, that Linda suggested.

BarbieCat- Have a great weekend!

Meg- Welcome back to Earth. :laugh: I understand your October goal- I would love to get control of my life, but it feels as if I am totally incapable of doing that. However, you and I can both take control of today! For today- what a wonderful thought. Let's just do today, and tomorrow we will think about tomorrow. OK?

Linda- Congratulations on the weight loss!:drinker:

TAMayorga- Welcome! :flowerforyou: Your face is lovely, it may not be what you used to look like, but it is lovely. As I lose weight, I do not see any changes in myself. I am still round..... round face, round body.... I think we all have serious trouble seeing ourselves as others see us.

Katla- Aren't nutria really rodents like the javelinas? :huh: All I know is that they are both ugly, mean and destructive. :angry:

OK- I need to get busy. I have a ton of things to do before I can leave for the weekend. Take care, my friends. Have a great day!

Pat (Phoo in AZ)
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Karen and new to this site. My goals are to master JUDDDing and to get outside snd walk a couple of miles 3x a week. Keep it simple and do able.
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies!

I had trouble getting on this morning. Every time I tried from the ipad it said it was down for maintenance and to try again later, but when I tried from the laptop it worked. Tried the ipad again and it said it was still down. Hmmm.

Last night hubby put his arms around me and said "hey, where did your butt go?" It dawned on me that I am smaller now than he has ever EVER seen me! When we married 17 years ago, I was in a very tight size 24. But he's incredibly supportive in my effort to lose weight, and in everything else I do for that matter. Boy, did I get lucky!

Susan - yes, Bruno is a rescue. A rescue group in Oklahoma gets dogs from their local dog pound (where they kill the dogs after just 36 hours!) and they put the dogs in foster homes and advertise them online. Based on a grainy photo and a colorful description, we drove to about 6 hours to meet him. It was worth the trip for sure. He's adorable. I keep his cheerios (for training treats) in a zipper bag, and last night I was sitting in my recliner and he brought me the bag of cheerios (which he got off the table). He was telling me it was time for class! Who is training who here?

I'm off to the Y. Hopefully today will go better than yesterday.

Tonight I'm making pork chops with mandarin oranges and brown rice. Yummy!

Sylvia
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Hi my dear MFP friends. I thought I’d check in early today. I’m taking the day off work. I woke up after finally being asleep for 2 hours with some GI bug and figured I should just stay home and rest and try to get my life back on track! You’d think I was the only person ever to work off shifts, but after not doing it for about 30 years, it really messed me up! Time to get “un-messed up”.

So a couple of easy days at home and I will go in Monday and Tuesday of next week to catch up. Next week is fall break and we are off, but a couple of days without anyone else there will make it easy to get lots done.

Grandmallie: so sorry to hear about hubby’s job. I think if congress had to give up their pay and benefits, they would all play together more nicely.

DeeDee: I have been having lots of trouble sleeping. I have always gotten up around 2;30 for a short time, but now it’s much earlier and I never can go back to sleep. I even took some extra Zoloft. Maybe it’s time for a little sleepy time medicine!

Gail: now I wish I were a Georgia peach so I could join you in your get together. Sounds like fun!

Linda: omgosh! I haven’t heard any one talk about a hope chest in years. I had one…still have it…and my mother literally stuffed it full! What a fun memory you and she will have!

CWA4me: planning vacations is always stressful for me. I get to where I don’t even want to go, but once we get going, then I enjoy it. You’ll get rid of that extra weight in no time.

Kathy: hope you are feeling better after a good night’s sleep!

Lila: glad to welcome you to the group and to hear you will be able to go back to work soon

Tamayorga: of course you can join us! I’m not nearly at maintenance so I can’t answer your question but I do notice the face changes as you describe in some of my acquaintances who have lost a lot of weight so I will be interested to hear what others say.

Katla: it seems the fancier the hotel, the more they charge for wi-fi. I stayed in a wonderful 5 star hotel last year when I went to Philly and it was something like $12 a day with a limit on the number of minutes you could have during your ‘day’. I think the cheaper motels give it free to help them stay full.

Heather; sounds like your trip is wonderful and I do want part of your omelette!

Pat: thank you for your wise words. Let’s be in control today! I can do that since I am at home!

Karen: welcome to our group!

Sylvia: sounds like you are one very lucky girl! A smart hubby and a smart doggie and a smaller butt!

Well I think it’s nap time. LOL I have done nothing all morning and boy does it feel good so why I’m tired again, who knows. But I’m listening to my body and napping it is! It rained about 2 inches last night which we really needed and today is beautiful and sunny so if I feel up to it later I’ll take a little walk. If I don’t sleep the day away! Take care all, Meg from Omaha where it is starting to look like fall. And I still haven’t bought my mums for the front planters……^heavy sigh!