WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2013

Options

Replies

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,735 Member
    Options
    morning ladies, you dont usually see me on at this tine because I am at the gym, I slept horrible last night so decided to sleep in,I am still sort of groggy, but have a load of laundry in and im icing my foot and having my warm lemon water, I am staying under my calorie count most days but not losing much, will have to drink more water, and less proccessed stuff:grumble:
    I told my DH no halloween candy this year, we have about 20 kids or so, but I just dont want it in the house..going to ice my heel a little more then off to the gym, dont know how much I will do but at least I will go:wink:
  • tazgirl1960
    tazgirl1960 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Michele in NY I live in Central Florida, a small town about an hour west of Orlando. Thank you for the recipe, I will give it a try.

Good Morning to everyone, It is off to work. My goal for today is to not eat the brownies my husband made for him and my granddaughter Elizabeth last night. (he asked if it was okay) so far so good. And I really need to drink more water, I drink unsweet tea all day, but I'm sure water would be much better. :drinker: :drinker:

Tina in Fla
  • angiewf
    angiewf Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Hi, everyone! It's raining here in London today but mild for the time of year. The problem with being a small island (or collection of islands) on the edge of the Atlantic is that our weather literally depends on which direction the wind is blowing!
    I don't have as much of a problem with having 'naughty' stuff in the home as I'm a widow living alone, so I don't have to buy it. I do however have 3 lovely sons with a tendency to turn up and take me out for meals,then I have to watch the desserts, as I have a sweet tooth.Exercise goals have not gone well as I usually swim and do exercise DVDs but I have a back problem at the moment which makes it difficult. Good luck to everyone for October!
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Welcome to everyone new!!! Come in often and chat!!!

What a fantastic Oct. it`s going be:bigsmile: ! I, too love fall (although summer is still my fav!!!), love the crisper air and the leaves turning those beautiful colors. Noel (doggie) loves a longer walk when the weather is a bit cooler:love: , we both tend to walk at a faster pace, with a little skip in our step:happy: ! The air just has a fresher smell in the fall:love: !!!

Have a wonderful day ladies!!! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in beautiful sunny and a bit warm NC
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Another quick post before work - I was there until 11:15p yesterday, but all the invoices got entered. Now for the brokers to approve them so they can go to accounting...we'll see if that happens before I'm out of the office for a few days. No exercise for me yesterday and did poorly on the water as well, which the scale reflects this morning. Alas. Today is another day.

Hope everyone has a good one!

Gail, metro ATL
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

I came home from the Y yesterday and found a surprise in the living room. Bruno had somehow dragged an entire dead tree branch in through the doggie door. There were bits of bark and dead leaves everywhere. It was a real mess. I have no idea how he got it through the door. I had to break it into a dozen small pieces to get it in the trash. Silly little dog! And he was so proud of himself.

We live in a small development sort of in the country, and for years we didn't have any kids here, but over the last few years several families have moved in, so now we get 30 or so trick or treaters. Bill loves candy, so he nags early and often for me to get Halloween candy, but if I get it too soon he will eat it before Halloween. I always try to give something non-candy too, like pencils, or balloons. Last year I wrapped up small blocks of clay and put them in a little lunch bag with some instructions, then after Halloween I would take their pieces and fire them, glaze them, and return them. They all seemed to like the idea, but only two kids brought me back something to fire. Still, I hope they had fun with the clay. I'm not doing that again this year, but am trying to think of something fun.

It's supposed to be in the low 60's this weekend! For the highs! Sweater weather! That will be heaven! I plan to take a very long walk.

Have a great day, ladies!

Sylvia
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Lf, welcome….I hope you’ll keep coming back….I weigh morning and evening every day at the same time in the same nightshirt and socks and write down the weight. It allows me to see trends and not fool myself about my weight. I live on the North Olympic Peninsula so we are a bridge and a ferry ride from Seattle.

:flowerforyou: Renny, your goals are awesome…..politely saying no gets easier every time you do it. I went to an event recently where chocolate cake was served. I had told the person who brought the cake that I wouldn’t be having any so she brought me a plate of grapes instead and I didn’t eat them. Later I told her that when I’ve decided to not eat anything at an event, I don’t eat anything, no matter how healthy or how lovingly served. I took the grapes home and planned for a time to eat them the next day.

:flowerforyou: Susan, that is an impressive and healthy food plan…is there a health reason for no dairy?

:flowerforyou: DeeDee, I am happy that it is fall and getting cooler…..I am definitely a northern person, loving the cool weather rather than the warm and hot……I have lots of warm clothes and shoes and a great flashlight so the cold and darkness makes little difference in my walks with Brandy and Sasha……we like the cold, dark, rainy times the best because other people and dogs don’t go out so much so we have the neighborhood to ourselves.

:bigsmile: Sylvia, your Bruno is so resourceful…..your Halloween ideas are really clever

:bigsmile: My breakfast is finished and it’s time to go out for the daily after breakfast dog walk. We’ll walk for a little more than two hours and still have time to get dressed and ready for the nine AM line dance class.

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington

"The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT."

“If it’s important to you then you will find a way, if it’s not you’ll find an excuse.”

1461351h0otf8hco5.gif
  • JennInTx
    JennInTx Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! Hope everyone had a restful evening. Woke up this morning one pound lighter, so it's a great day! Nice to see that drop after almost a week of no movement. I was becoming a little worried.

Sandy- I leave on the 23rd for Puerto Rico. My DH and I are cruisers and go at least once a year with a group of friends we've made on previous cruises. This year we are back in San Juan for 3 days before boarding a cruise ship for 7 nights. Looking forward to getting away, clearing my head and spending some time with my friends. It's been a stressful year for me. And I'm so glad we will be on the ship on Halloween. Gives me a good reason not to buy candy!

Welcome to all the newbies.

Looks like it's going to be a mild day in Dallas (90 degrees is very mild for us). But a cold front is on it's way. A chilly 70 degree high is predicted over the weekend. I love the fall weather. We hardly see much of fall here. Usually goes from Summer to Winter in a blink of an eye.

Hope everyone has a great day. Better get to my chores and my husband's invoicing.

Hugs,

Jenn
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    10 days until Andelane is in my arms. How can I possibly wait that long?

I hope you are all doing well. Work is still going great and I am so much better now.

Robin, Bodi and Ritter.
  • Suzy_in_DE
    Suzy_in_DE Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Happy Wednesday Ladies!!

Barbie – thanks so much for keeping this thread going!!!

Well September as a so-so month for me as far as sticking to my MFP goals.
    Logging all food 80%
    Sticking to calorie goals 80%
    Exercise daily 90%
    14,000 daily steps 95%
    Weight gain 2+

My goals for October are the same as above, but want to add a challenge goal of: 100 squats/sit ups/push ups per day and lose the 2 pounds I gained.

:smile: Heather – hope you are having a wonderful birthday in Rome. Rome and Florence are my 2 favorite cities in Italy.

We can do this ladies!!!!
    Suzy
  • luckyinlove2
    luckyinlove2 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Greeting and hopes for a great October of MFP-ing! I'm loving the fact that it cools off at night and we haven't had to turn on the air conditioning for 2 weeks! Harvest going on all around us in the countryside, very little rain falling so farmers are taking advantage of the nice weather.
    I always put my spaghetti squash in my colander after cooking and let it sit over the sink or a container to drain the extra moisture. It still puts out water with my sauce, so I try to keep my sauce thicker when I'm using it.
    Goals for September, did log everything except twice when I was at pot lucks and couldn't remember everything I had! The hardest part was logging some drinks that I had while there! Exercised 3x/wk, but didn't make it to onederland... There's still October to work on it.

Goals for October:
    Visit Onederland again--stay there this time!
    Curves 3x/wk with some walking at least one other day
    Continue recording foods on MFP!

Jeri
    from the shores of the Mississippi in Illinois
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy hump day~~
    Violet is sick until mom can home from work,it`s snuggle with gram.
    Have a good one
    HUGS
    jane
  • phoo513
    phoo513 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Good Morning, Ladies! I need some help from all of you wise women. I am having an allergic reaction to who-knows-what, and it is driving me crazy! My high has been itching and running since Thursday afternoon. My Dr said to take an antihistamine and use eye drops. OK, doing that. It's not working. The antihistimine dries them up, but the itching is almost painful. Do any of you have suggestions on how to ease this? Oh, please, I hope so.

I could only sleep in short naps during the night. My eyes kept me awake, and my cat was on a mission to play the "revolving door" game. I can't just ignore him when he is howling and yelling, I just can't. So, we play his silly game.

Food went OK yesterday, but nothing seems really satisfying right now. I think I am just tired and crabby.

I am getting ready to go to a scrapbooking retreat over the weekend, and I have lots to do to get ready. It will be great fun once I get there, but for now, it is just lots of work! Plus, I need to clean up the suckers on the big tree out front because it is starting to look like a mutant. If I don't take care of it, I will get a nasty-gram from the homeowner's association.

Sylvia- Your Bruno sounds like a creative, little rascal. There are many stinkier things he could have dragged through that doggie door!

Ok- Time to get moving. Have a great day, everyone.

Pat (Phoo- in Az)
  • kathyszoo
    kathyszoo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Good morning lovely ladies! It is another gorgeous day here with abundant sunshine! :happy: I'm very glad to be back here with all of your awesome stories and support! No time for individual comments unfortunately, but especially enjoyed reading the four legged critter tales! Think I'm starting to calm down a little about school and even did my first webinar last night! Yay for me! :laugh: Think I'm going to walk my boys now and then a quick massage and adjustment at the chiropractor's before work. Have an awesome Wednesday!

Kathy in beautiful IL :drinker:
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,264 Member
    Options
    Back in the apartment after a tour of the Roman Forum and the Palatine Hill.
    It was very warm today, but there were quite a few trees for shade. A lot of walking so I am counting 600 calories for today, including the walk to and from the restaurant tonight.
    We have a bottle of Prosecco to have for a birthday aperitif before we go out. Thank you for all your birthday wishes. I am going to get DH to take a photo of me in my furry boots and evening gear tonight.
    I had a naughty Roman candy this afternoon, chocolate covered nougat, only one, but I do usually have an afternoon snack so it can do for that. We were lucky to find a snack bar for lunch that did a plate of zucchini, eggplant and spinach so I had that with mozzarella and tomato. Delicious!
    I love seeing all the sights and have always wanted to visit the Forum, but the greatest pleasure is just wandering around. We found a fountain with bronze turtles climbing on it, (by Bernini), and came across a couple of great markets. After lunch I bought fresh porcini, garlic and spinach to have tomorrow night. I will make an omelette with the lovely organic eggs they have here with the porcini, herbs and garlic, some shallots and herbs and serve it with the spinach. We also bought two huge nectarines for dessert. I wonder if tonight's meal out will be as delicious!!!! I'm not going to be too strict on the calories, but it's a bit ingrained now! I will order what I really enjoy. It's my birthday!
    We usually come back on the tram when my feet start to drop off. The trouble is they are at irregular intervals so if there has been a long gap it is very crowded. Today a man was pushing in so I pushed him off. He got back on and another man had a standup row with him. I think I heard some rude Italian words!
    Yes, Katla, the flat is beginning to feel like home. It doesn't take long. I have told DH that if he doesn't want to come with me I will go on my own. Travelling is my reason for living, apart from eating, oh and my grandchildren!,!!!! Right now I am enjoying it so much, though for a couple of days before we came I wasn't at all sure. I'm always like that! I feel quite relaxed now. I'm about to take a shower and blow dry my hair so I look lovely tonight. DH is snoring on the sofa. The world and the traffic is winding down outside and the evening sun is coming through the window.
    Then, off to The Ignorant Fairy!

Love to all and welcome to the new folks. HEATHER in Rome.

PS I did my push ups this morning - 26. Other than that I've only done walking with a bit of step climbing.
  • kamelew
    kamelew Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    This sound like a great group to join! Thanks for the welcome!

October Goals-
    1) to loose 4 Lbs
    2) to increase my arm strength training- I have a bad shoulder and right now I "remember" to do the exercises <1 X per week- Daily Yea that is my goal!
    3) To finish home projects started this summer ( Ha maybe just one of them)
    4) To go back to my place of worship this month
    Kelli from upstate NY
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Good "HUMP" day everyone! Feeling a little better today, but I will not go for my usual 20 min. walk until I am completely better. I need to get better fast! Too much to do this month. I can't believe this is only Oct. 2 and we are up to page 4 already! Brought my car in for a 'check up' after work yesterday. Well, after 2 hours and almost $300 later, they changed my fluids, cabin filter, oil, and checked the alignment. Seems like a high price for what they did. I now need to get 4 new tires which will run close to $1000! The tires are really necessary but that hurts! Walked around Sam's club with my daughter last night while waiting for the car, so got my walk in anyway! Today I hope to get m hair cut after work and set up an appointment with the eye doctor. My moving goal for this week is to pack/empty the attic and start on the garage since my DH is balking at doing both. Has to be done! Well, must get back to work.

Have a great day everyone! Welcome to newbies (great bunch of ladies here, very supportive), and hugs to all who need them.

Rita from TN (CT is coming fast!)
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hi All, Long time since I've had time to get back here and it shows:sad:

Busy just explains it all...

We sold our house (took 33 days) now we are packing it up and finishing the things on the "inspection check list" If all continues to go as planned we wil be signing the papers on the 18th and moving the 19th then doing final cleaning the 20th. All of our possessions go into storage as our townhome won't be ready until Dec / Jan '14.

So as our house goes into a storage unit we will be moving in with DIL #2 and the grand kiddos. Son #2 is in the Army Reserves and got called up to be depolyed to Afghanistan over Labor Day weekend and is currently in Mississippi training (he had 7 days to get things done to get to Mississippi). During this time DIL found out she is pregnant with our grandchild #4. Baby is due in April and our son will miss this one and we are hoping we will be able to Skype him in like we did when grandson #2 was born.

We head to Mississippi on Friday to say good-bye to our son, DIL & grandson #3 go out today. We will fly home together. The other two grandsons have already had their good-bye to their Dad and everyone has told us that it would be too confusing if the boys were to go to Mississippi to see him again.

Work continues to be the most frustraing place in my life. The boss and I sat down and figured out that if we could collect the $85,000 that's currently past due our lives would be a whole lot less stressful.

Hubby has started a new position at his place of employment which means he starts work @ 6am. So we get up at about 4:50am and I go to the basement and exercise while he is getting ready. it's been one of the best things about all this craziness that we have going right now because I wasn't exercising and it's making all the difference in the world for me.

So my goal for October is to get back here and check in more often and keep up my exercise in spite of all that's going on around me.

Have a great day:drinker:

Laura80111 In Colorado:smile:
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    Holly cow person needs to come here 3 4 times a day to keep up. I was here yesterday already on page 4. Wow.
    Had a terrible day yesterday calorie wise but im sure I used a lot running around the mall. Today i'm doing great lunch time and only 200 + calories. But now i'm making a 3 egg omelette for lunch. Have a turkey in the oven for supper. So all is well. Tops tonight I'm hoping for a loss.

Robin
    Can't blame you for wanting to cuddle the grandbaby. I'm so blessed to have mine in my home town.

Lucky
    Onederland I seen it and lost it. Now i'm looking for it again. Hope to get it for my birthday Oct. 19. Even lose this 6 lbs. That I gained. Should be doable.

Pat
    Did you try tea bags on your eyes. It might help.

See you all lighter.
    Linda in Northern Ontario Canada.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Barbie: I am glad I won’t be walking the weight loss trail alone either, and that means I owe you a great debt of gratitude. Thanks for keeping the thread going.:heart::flowerforyou:

Yanniejannie: Enjoy your visit with your daughter, and your drive. I’ve always been part of a driving team until DH had his stroke. Now that I’m the only driver, I’ve learned to take frequent rest stops to get out of the car, stretch my legs, and get my blood moving. I don’t think this adds an unreasonable amount of time to the trip, and I know I’m a more alert driver.:flowerforyou:

If in Oregon: Daily weighing has taught me a great deal about my body’s response to the foods I put into it. You’re right that the weight bounces up and down. I’ve learned that too much salt adds weight the next day and makes my hands sore and stiff. I’ve also learned that good water intake minimizes swelling and is often connected with dropping a pound or two. I don’t let the fluctuations discourage me. I can tell you I’m using a LOT less salt and drinking more water. Water is still an issue for me. I tend to neglect it. If daily weighing is too discouraging, then shift to weekly. Do what works for you.:flowerforyou:

Michele: Your day after Halloween stop at the soup kitchen is brilliant!:bigsmile:

Susan Rechter: I agree that learning to eat healthier is a challenging puzzle, and I really like you framing it that way in your thoughts and goals. It is so much more positive than considering yourself deprived of all the stuff that caused weight gain in the first place. Where are you from? I really like knowing where people are from and find that I feel more connected that way.:flowerforyou:

Robin: You’re lucky that you only have to wait 10 days to hold your granddaughter. I won’t get to hold mine until Christmas, if I’m lucky enough to see her then.:ohwell: :flowerforyou:

Pat (Phoo in AZ): I have had a problem with dry eyes for years. I learned that I need eye drops when allergies kick in and pure water works just fine for me. These are available over the counter. The brand in my cupboard right now is Systane. I take allergy meds (antihistamines) and put water drops in my eyes several times a day. Saline nose spray works well at reducing my allergies, too.:flowerforyou:

Laura in CO: Welcome back! You have been missed.:flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart:

Lin in N Ontario: I know what you mean by needing to stop by frequently. I thought I was at the end of the posts, and there is another whole page! We tend to get a lot of newbies when Barbie posts a new thread. It can be hard to keep up for a while. I would like to lose the last few pounds in time for my first anniversary here, but I’ll get them off eventually. I don’t mind slow and steady loss. :flowerforyou:

Have a healthy day.
    Katla in Beautiful but wet NW Oregon

October goals:
    1. Log every bite
    2. Move more.
    3. Drink at least 4 glasses of water daily.