WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2013

Options

Replies

• RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Went to jazzercise this morning. 1 hr of sweating. Yeah :bigsmile: :bigsmile: . Then onto doing lots of family tree updates, thanks to a newly discovered relative. Great fun. Later a long telephone call to my oldest sister. Always have to plan those, because of the 9hr time difference. Now we are up to date again on each other's lives. The rest we do by email and facebook.

Time to get off the PC again now. Have a great week!

:heart: Renny
    Vancouver Island, BC
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Oh, one of "those" days...........fine until 10am when I got one of "those" calls from a friend saying she thought she was having a heart attack, "don't call 911, just come over right away"........yeah, right.....having been through an emergency with her 2yrs. ago that turned out to be a femoral artery clot, I know what that certain tone in her voice means (as if "heart attack" isn't the magic phrase!!!). I immediately called 911 and then headed to her house and followed the ambulance to the ER. Off she goes to the cath lab......I'm in the waiting room.........hear the call for stat anesthesia to the cath lab (not a good thing). I'm her responsible party, her dh is dead, no kids, and extended family is on the other side of the world. Yes, they lost her but got her back, thankfully. She's in ICU, the dr. told her she "fainted" during the procedure and (bless her), she's insisting she remembers every minute and she did no such thing. ......and I'm recovering too.......mentally and physically wiped out..........bed soon.
    Please keep Gwen in your thoughts, guys. I have a few more phone calls to make, then early bed.

Have read all,
    Definately a vitamin V night!!!
    yanniejannie
  • Kookyk9s
    Kookyk9s Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Managed to do my 5 mile walk yesterday, flyball practice with the dogs today and 3 mile walk with 2 dogs tonight. Must be the moon because I am rarely this consistent. Maybe there is hope for me yet. Have been weighing myself on my bodyfat scale but not using that function because I could not remember how to do it, Finally found the manual and it was so simple I do not know how I forgot it. Now I now why I forgot it. Still Yucky numbers!! but it is better that it was and Rome was not built in a day. Not much else to report. I love reading how everyone is managing their less than perfect lives. give me hope for mine.

Linda in Severn Bridge Ontario - 2 hours north of Toronto on Highway 11 - just barely cottage country.
  • phoo513
    phoo513 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    YannieJannie- What a blessing you are to your friend! Now, take care of yourself, too, that was an awful lot of stress to go through for theday. Prayers for your well-being and your friends healthful recovery.

I am pretty proud of myself today. I went and got my flu shot all by myself! I usually make my friend go with me in case I get dizzy or something silly like that. I was fine, just a little sore. I also bought my once-a-year new breast cancer awareness shirt. I know that they probably only get 10 cents per shirt, but it makes me feel better wearing it.

Ok- off to do some journaling.

Pat
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Hi gals. What a day. First we had to take Benny Beagle to the vet; he has been vomiting off and on for a couple of days but today he was pooping blood….BLEH. Looks like he has some sort of virus. He got a couple of shots and was sent home with more meds. The DD#1’s BF is sick too so he didn’t come for dinner. DD#1 did and afterward we played Uno Attack. She’s watching tv with DD#2 right now.

Heather: I like having lots of leftovers too. The lasagna tonight will be a good three meals too.

Juanita: cute puppy…her ears look blue!

Yanniejannie: sounds like you had great fun; prayers for your friend Gwen; she’s lucky to have you

Joyce: glad you enjoyed time together even if you didn’t buy much

Renny ;hope that back gets better soon

Carol: he is a handsome guy and needs a great name…how about Gable? (Clark Gable)

Michele: hope you feel better soon. I can’t get over how much baking you do!

Anamika: it is hard not to hurt feelings when saying no to treats, but if your friends understand you are trying to be healthy that will help

Deb: nice to see you again …it seems like a while since you’ve been here

Liz; nice to see you again too!

Sylvia: I can’t wait for the world series to start but I like both teams so I don’t know who to root for! I think that is fabulous you wanted to be in the mlb! Did you know there is a female pro football ref?

Phoo: can you believe it? I put that recipe out for you and now I can’t find it…anywhere. My guess is cat #3 ran off with it…he likes to collect odd things. Every once in a while we find a huge pile of all sorts of oddities. He has even ran off with my glasses. When I find it I’ll send it on.

Katla: I am with you on Dr. Oz and Sylvia

Sandy: any loss is a good one!

Linda: what a funny little dog….so cute she just made me smile! What kind is she (he?)?

Well I’m off…my nails are still wet from painting them so this typing is going very slowly. Clinical tomorrow. 8 students on the coronary care unit but at least it’s in the daytime! Take care, meg from omaha
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,894 Member
    Options
    Hi to all: Whoo! this was a busy weekend. :ohwell: I helped set up for the book sale at church yesterday and then had a young man come over and we had a trial of him walking my dog. He had a head injury many years ago and is starting his own dog walking business. I am still a little leary of taking my dog out as she is fairly big, a standard poodle and when she sees a bunny or squirrel she just takes off and I am afraid of her pulling on my shoulder which is still not quite 100%. Things went well and he is going to come on Wednesdays and walk her for one hour and then I will give him a ride to church for choir. I think this will work out for both of us.

This morning I had to be at church at 7:30 to sing with Joyful Accord at 8:00. Then had breakfast at church, helped with the book sale since I am on the library board, rehearsed at 10:30 and sang with Cancel Choir at 11:00. After church we had to clean up from the book sale but I think we did well and will have some extra money for the library. Tonight I went to a line dancing class for 1-1/2 hours and really worked up a sweat. It was lots of fun and I managed to stay on my feet!:happy:

Cheryl - Your horse looks like a keeper, he has a very kind eye. Have fun naming him. I had a horse that was named Dear Girl and she was exactly that.

Healing angels to all who need them and congratulations to all with victories. Sue in SD
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,993 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: It was warmer today----42 degrees when I got up to walk the dogs---I get up at 4 AM or earlier so the overnight low temperature is my dog walking temperature---during the day it has gotten up to 48 degrees. We have had heavy coastal fog so the grass has been wet all day and the sky foggy or overcast. Jake built a fire this morning so the house was toasty warm.

:bigsmile: It was a lazy day for me with laundry and computer chores the main events. Jake fixed lunch---Kashi pizza with chicken, peppers, onions, and tomatoes. Now off to bed to prepare for an early wake-up.

:heart: Barbie from cold and sunny NW Washington

"The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT."

“If it’s important to you then you will find a way, if it’s not you’ll find an excuse.”

1461351h0otf8hco5.gif

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: 25,000 steps today
  • barbiecat
    Options
    1455124tww83ijt6x.gif

Happy Birthday, LInda
  • jfenner141
    jfenner141 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Hi all - busy weekend with a Bead Hop here - 6 shops from Windsor CT to Putney VT. Now to make some Christmas presents! Bump for later

Jill in western MA
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,707 Member
    Options
    Best wishes for fast healing to Gwen and Benny Beagle and peace to all!
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,397 Member
    Options
    anamika - sometimes I think that I get energy from constantly nibbling on foods. But this latest flu shot has me wanting to sleep. Like last night I made ground chicken breast patties. They're fried in a bit of oil. Well, you know how oil splatters. Normally, I would have cleaned up the stove right after it had cooled down. But last night I just wanted to take my shower and get in bed. I cleaned it this morning.

Did an hour of training games on the Wii today. Tomorrow is yoga, holding my plank, and then the extremepump class. There's the Busy Hands group meeting, so I might go to that. Also, where it's held is right next to Aldi's and I need to get some things from there. If the weather is nice, I'll string popcorn and won't go to Aldi until later in the week.

tazgirl - depending on how long we're down for this year, hopefully, we can get together. Now last year we weren't down there for that long but we didn't close up the pool and Vince was worried. This year we'll close it so hopefully, we can spend more time down there.

Sylvia - we belong to a group called the "Newcomers of Catawba Valley". There are Newcomers goups everywhere. It's not just for people who are newcomers, there are people who have lived here all their lives. I'd try looking on the Internet, see if there's one in your area or at least close by you. They might have a mahjongg group already set up. If not, maybe you can see if there's any interest and then you can start one up. We have a mailing list where one of the things that you can do is send an email to everyone on the list asking if there's any interest, give them the approximate time and location where it would be held. I'm starting to get a bit disenchanted with Dr. Oz, too.

Heather - so sorry that happened to you with your car. I think sometimes the worst part is having to go without your car for a few days while the repairs are being done.

Made some chocolate chip cookies for Vince. Really, made the pumpkin chocolate chip cookies yesterday because this one lady said that she'd bring her grandson by to see the decorations and I wanted to have something to offer him. In case they don't like the pumpkin ones, I also made regular chocolate chip cookies. Might also have them this weekend when Steve (the guy who used to work for Vince) comes by. We're going to have the last of the corn on the cob that I had in the freezer, I put a dish of the apple glazed carrots that I made for the Murder Mystery dinner in the freezer, I have a can of beer that I want to use up so I'm thinking we'll make the beer can chicken. I just will need to get some lettuce.

Tina - when we go out to eat to a sit down dinner, you should hear me. Vince and Denise laugh at me all the time. I'm constantly asking for "no fries but instead can I have vegetables? How are they prepared? Can I have them without butter?" Maybe that's why we don't go out to eat very often, Vince is embarassed because I ask so many questions.

critter sue - thanks for telling me that the Red Sox are going to the WS. I know this one guy at the Y who is a big RS fan.

I had this plastic set of measuring cups and the 1/2 cup broke (the handle broke in two). So I got out the set that Bryan had and am using that. One bad thing is that his set doesn't have the 3/4 or 2/3 cup, sometimes you need that. But I'm going to use his set until it breaks down. Then I want to get myself a set of the metal measuring cups. As a matter of fact, if I see them at a good price, I'm going to pick them up and just have them.

Sandy - I find that I am so much more flexible in the water. Water workouts are really good, you work real hard but don't feel it.

yanniejannie - goodness! So glad you were with your friend. OK, what is a vitamin V? I know what Vitamin F is, but what is V?

Meg - sure hope Benny Beagle gets better fast.

Sue in SD - you are right to be careful of taking your dog for a walk. It's good that you're having someone else do it at least for now. Hope you did well at the book sale

It wasn't breezy today but for some reason I totally forgot to finish stringing the popcorn. It would have been a great day for it. Just a bit on the cold side, that's all. Hopefully, it won't be windy tomorrow and I'll finish.

Michele in NC
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I am in a conundrum. (spelling?) Our 'old nurses group' is meeting tomorrow for lunch and the one picking this month has us set to got o a local Mexican place. We go there every week ourselves for an evening meal and I have reseaurched and found a meal I like and fits in my calories and carbs and is pretty good on the sodium. But I can't find anything for lunch. I know I can flip flop my supper calories for my lunch but that's just to heavy for lunch. I hate refried beans, I was a nurse long enought that I just really have trouple looking at it and seeing what it looks like. At this place they let you order off the childs menu so I checked that and it isn't much better. No wonder our children are obese. On their a la carte menu they have a tostada that is OK but again for me to control the calories I have to just make it with the refried beans. Also a kids cheese quesadilla was OK but I just don't want it. I would like a little wiggle room so I can have some chips and salsa. When I am eating with DH I take 5 chips out of the basket and eat only them. I am just a little dabber with my salsa, it's just to hot. One good thing is a do drink a lot of water at Hacienda. And I know that I could be starting my beginners strength training class tomorrow morning at the exact time at the Y. So i would be putting that off until the next class time on Friday. I have been putting it off now for two weeks.

I can't imagine being with a friend as she is having a heart attack and having to be with her in the ER. I'm glad that they didn't let me know about any of the problems my husband had when his stents were placed until the next day. It was after midnight and I was the only one in the lounge.

Some one was saying how they doctored up the low calorie hot chocolate. When I was working as a nurse we would take the mix and I would use the water as directed but then I would add one of those little liquid coffee creamers. Of course I have no idea even now how many calories, carbs, fat and sodium it has in it. But it sure made it taste a lot richer.

Good night all.
  • wessecg
    wessecg Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Meg - Gable. I'll have to toss that one around awhile. My older blue eyed horse is named Newmann.

Oh Yannie, what a day. Glad your friend is recovering.

Skuehn - thanks, I definitely think he's a keeper. Rode my first long ride on him today. Didn't like the fast loud freight trains much but didn't do anything stupid. Lots of compliments on his look.

Michele you are such a busy woman, no wonder you forgot your popcorn stringing.

yoyo - you must take your friend up on her offer and ride a horse soon (it burns lots of calories!)

Molly, you may get tired of horse pictures :)
  • Kookyk9s
    Kookyk9s Posts: 259 Member
    Options

Linda: what a funny little dog….so cute she just made me smile! What kind is she (he?)?

Well I’m off…my nails are still wet from painting them so this typing is going very slowly. Clinical tomorrow. 8 students on the coronary care unit but at least it’s in the daytime! Take care, meg from omaha

The dog is a he and he is a Chinese Crested. Naked little boy - only hair is the stuff on his head, tip of tail and feet. So the jammies to prevent sunburn, and bugbites. Has entire wardrobe cause momma sews and I love to dress him and his kennel mate.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,370 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    Yannie jannie, you are an angel!

"Daddy" hasn't been round yet about his daughter's prang. That is just plain rude. We don't like them anyway. Yah boo sucks!,!

Switched up the tension on the elliptical and the recumbent bike to 15. Thats about three quarters resistance. My legs could feel it on the bike and I felt a bit faint on the elliptical as my heart rate went up a bit. Managed though. Feel very sweaty now - excellent!
    Dreaded plank later, my least favourite exercise.

American Fish Chowder tonight. Don't know what's American about it, but it's delicious. I have changed it a bit by using fish pie mix which has salmon and smoked fish in with the white. DH loves smoked fish. For lunch I have my beloved beetroot!:love::laugh: DH opens the fridge and goes, "I can smell beetroot! Yuk!" :laugh:

Yoga tomorrow - the last one of the half term. We usually go for a coffee at the pub, which is a great time for a chat. I might get my friend to do a session with me the week we are off. I am useless at doing it on my own - I really need the encouragement of other people. But I am very good at keeping my my commitments to others.

Dark and gloomy wet weather this week. I think the Portsmouth trip will have to be postponed. At leadt we are not burning up loads of gas as the weather is mild. Leaves are beginning to fall on the lawn so there is plenty of exercise for DH,! ! ! ! ! !:bigsmile: I want to empty the last of the geraniums and put the remaining tulips in the pot, but the weather is not very enticing.

Still feel a bit Ho Hum! No reason, except the weather and no exciting plans. I shall develop an attitude of gratitude. Actually I have just remembered I have got to do my tax return by the end of the month. Boo! But honestly, I know I am very fortunate and have my health. Some of you ladies are so great with your volunteering, you put me to shame. It's always good to help others. I mst let DDIL know when we can next get up there to be of assistance. My own mother was a useless grandmother so I do NOT want to emulate her. My ex's mum was great.

Enough rambling. Planking calls!

Love Heather in miserable Hampshire UK

Wow! Just got a beautiful bunch of flowers delivered to the door from my brother as a late birthday present. Gorgeous! I love flowers and I love delivered flowers even more! That's cheered me up! Also DH went next door and they know about the prang tho the daddy is out. Of course the daughter said she looked both ways. As she came out backwards at speed, hit us in the wheel area and caused quite a lot of body damage I think not! I don't think they believe her anyway.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,821 Member
    Options
    morning ladies,
    got up and to the gym, only there for 45 minutes and did the treadmill and a few machines,I dont want to wrench my shoulder's and neck any worse...
    had my lemon water, and have a meatloaf in the oven for DH, will get his lunch together also, then sweep and wash the floors..
    Well I didn't gain while on vacation which is a good thing..but we did have quite a few meals out
    but I was prepared.....had printed out menu's highlighted what was ok.. and my DH has got used to me asking waitstaff for different things..
    had a NV while down there..there is a few people(seniors) at our park that are daily pool people like us..the day we had friends down and took them to show them the pool, one of the regulars(Tom) said come here... so he was floating in the pool i bent down and he wispered to me, ahhh did you lose weight? I said yes 52 lbs, he said when you were here the other day thought your husband had a new girlfriend,didn't recognize you...:laugh: the last day we were there, he just kept telling the DH ,told him I have about 28 lbs to go he said you dont need to change a thing , you look great..:blushing: I think the DH was sorta proud
    once my shoulders and neck clear up , i will feel much better
  • tazgirl1960
    tazgirl1960 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Good Monday Morning Ladies: Had a nice time at Daughters BD dinner, did not over eat, in fact under ate the food, well lets just say it left much to be desired. But that worked out okay, brought left overs home to son. Had NO Cake :bigsmile:
    On the even better side my scale says I lost again this morning 2lbs YEAH.

Well overslept and running behind, I hope everyone has a Blessed and Wonderful Day :flowerforyou:

Michele-- That would be very nice if we could get together, we could have dinner and both drive our hubby's crazy asking about the food . :laugh:

yanniejannie--you are a great friend will send prayers your way.

Tina in Florida
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Sylvia, they play Mahjong at the Senior Center here……have you checked a senior center near where you live?

:heart: Meg, get well wishes and hugs for Benny Beagle

:flowerforyou: Sue in SD, I walk my standard poodles with gentle leaders to lessen the pulling…….I started doing that a few years ago when Brandy yanked the leash out of my hand(it was raining and the leash handle was wet) to run after some birds. With a shoulder injury you’re smart to have someone else walk your dog.

:flowerforyou: Michele, I do my plank as part of my strength training and how long I can hold it depends on whether I do it first or later in the routine. Sometimes I do more than one.

:flowerforyou: Joyce, I consider the tortillas, cheese, and rice the biggest offenders at Mexican restaurants……the ones I go to will substitute whole beans for the refried ones.

Yannie, your friend is fortunate that you are so competent, compassionate, and available.

:bigsmile: Linda, your Chinese crested dog is adorable. He is a perfect dog for dressing in cute outfits.

:flowerforyou: Heather, an attitude of gratitude is the perfect antidote to whatever ails you. I write a gratitude list every morning before breakfast.

:bigsmile: Grandmallie, congrats on your NSV---having people notice your weight loss is so uplifting.

:bigsmile: Tina, congrats on saying No to cake and eating smart at the restaurant…..every time you do that, it makes it easier to do it the next time.

:bigsmile: It has been wonderful having breakfast with all of you this morning. I’m headed out for a walk with the frisky poodles (foggy morning----no chance of seeing the moon) followed by a spiritual meeting that Jake and I go to a few days a week. It promises to be an awesome day.

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington

"The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT."
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,397 Member
    Options
    Joyce - ask at the Mexican restaurant (you might even want to call ahead) to ask if you can have your dinner item for lunch even tho it's not on their lunch menu. Olive Garden will do that for me, there's something on their lunch menu but they'll make it for dinner for me even tho it isn't on their dinner menu. What's the worst that can happen? You can ask and they say they can't/won't do it? As to putting those creamers in the hot chocolate -- that's exactly what I did! Only you can still taste a bit of the "blandness". Also, it helps to use up the almond milk plus almond milk is higher in calcium than water/creamer mixture. I think the calories on the hot chocolate/creamer mixture must be 50 for the hot choclate mixture and 10 for the creamer. Don't know about the carbs and sodium. As a matter of fact, I think I'll have some of the hot chocolate/creamer mixture right now.

Cheryl - just went out to get the paper and although it is chilly, it isn't windy so maybe I will be able to do the rest of the popcorn. I'll just have to put on a sweatshirt. You know, the last time I was at the extreme pump class, I was the only one wearing shorts. I refused to wear pants (yet). However, after yoga this morning, I changed into pants (bummer). Well, at least it isn't the real heavy pants.

Did about 15 minutes of yoga, then held my plank for 2 min 30 sec. I'll be leaving for the extremepump class shortly. Tomorrow I'll do the reounder DVD that I got -- the new one, I want to try out one of the programs.

Heather - I always felt that I really needed the companionship of the others in a class, that it helped "push" me. However, at the Y down here they don't have a lot of options so I wind up doing more and more at home. I do go there for the deep water class since our pool doesn't go down to 10feet. I might take one class in the shallow end just to get ideas for exercises that I can do in my pool. I also many times go to the yoga there mainly so that the instructor can show me things that I need to be mindful of (not collapsing my knee, keeping my arm straighter and further back, things like that). I'll also use the Y near me mainly for their equipment. It's just too much to have a treadmill and an elliptical in my house. Vince wanted a recumant bike, if it was up to me I wouldn't have it. But in the end it's really not that big a deal. Not like he's used it lately. Oh, the Y does have the bodypump-type equipmenn (bars and weights), so I just take a DVD with me and use the equipment.

grandmalle - what a wonderful NSV. Sure makes you feel good when someone pays you a compliment. Take care of yourself now

Tina - can you just imagine the questions we'd be asking the wait staff? Oh, I do hope we are down there longer this year.

Want to post this so hopefully Joyce will see it. Have a great day evearyone. Will try to be back later

Michele in NC
  • Suzy_in_DE
    Suzy_in_DE Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday Ladies –

Hope each of you had a lovely weekend. It was fabulous here in Delaware. The air had just the right crispness to it and for the most part it was nice and sunny. I went for a nice long walk yesterday and it was wonderful to be outdoors and see all of the leaves changing collar. Walked a total of 7.5 miles, so got a great many steps in, yesterday was 24,000.

Got a lot accomplished this weekend. Traveled to Baltimore to visit w/my mom and aunt. Got my flu shot and then caught up on some sewing (at 5’3” I always have to hem up any pants that I buy). In addition I got all my plants on the porch migrated indoors
    and cleaned out all the ceramic pots to put into our shed. Hubby got the garage all cleaned out, had a few mice in the traps.
    Always seems this time of year, the mice try to make their way into the house.

:smile: Heather – congratulations on those boots being loose around the calves. I have been blessed w/large calves and have always had challenges in finding boots that don’t squeeze my calves out the top like sausages. 
    :smile: Pat – that Turkey, Peppers and Corn Soup sound yummy. I definitely know what you mean, that it is possible to overeat even on the good stuff.
    :smile: Grandmallie – sounds like you had a wonderful vacation. Time always seems to go by so quickly when on vacation, doesn’t it?
    :smile: Katla49 – so happy for you to have met your goal. How exciting.
    :smile: Cheryl – your horse is so handsome, I’m sure you will have many years enjoying him.
    :smile: Linda – happy birthday!
    :smile: Sylvia – you were in the Air Force? How long were you in? I went into active duty in 1981 and then went in the Reserves in 1989 and retired in 2012. I loved my AF career and the unique perspective if gave me.
    :smile: Sandy – it’s a shame how fast the weekends go by. I often wish I had a 4-day workweek.
    :smile: Meg – hope Benny Beagle is ok.

Hope everyone has a lovely week.
    Suzy