I'm packin 24/7. Never know when it's all going to go down
  • YouMadBro8281
    Options
    I'm packin 24/7. Never know when it's all going to go down

I hope legally.
  • homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    My son and I shoot every night. Here is our weapon of choice - diamond crusted shotgun

2wny0x1.jpg
  • ShutupndMovee257
    ShutupndMovee257 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I think I'm in the wrong place, I thought this was about my guns..... ::looks at my mini guns on profile picture::..... oh well, carry on. Lol
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    i don't like guns myself, but i'm essentially libertarian and idngaf what law-abiders do. i'm living in montana the past dozen years. i think the term "elkaholic" was coined here. we had unabomber, freemen. we have ranchers and hunters. and meth. tons and tons of meth, apparently.

you eat deer? you get gun. you need to keep wolves and mountain lions off your livestock? you get gun. you want to discourage some methhead from b-and-e your home? meh, you can have gun. i don't care.

i'm disgusted that it's so easy for criminals, terrorists, and the mentally ill to kill (tons of) people with them, but i'm not sure it's ok to say "no guns for anybody." idk.

my father was beat cop in a mid-sized midwest city--i only saw his (unloaded) pistol sitting on the kitchen table a couple of times, but the image will never leave my head. i know the world we're living in. we need to talk about these things...

PS also disappoint re: paucity of 'guns' pix... :grumble:
  • sassyrayofsunshine
    sassyrayofsunshine Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I think I'm in the wrong place, I thought this was about my guns..... ::looks at my mini guns on profile picture::..... oh well, carry on. Lol

Those guns are nice too :)
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Oh wow, flame war averted. I am impress.

I don't have any sort of a dog in this fight, but if anyone wants some actual numbers and statistics about firearm-related injuries in the US with a minimum of partisan bs, 5 minutes of google led me to this:

http://www.uphs.upenn.edu/ficap/resourcebook/pdf/monograph.pdf

I'm very surprised that literally nobody has brought up firearm suicides, which outnumber any other gun-related fatalities.

Not surprised at this statistic. A gun, when used correctly, is probably the most effective and "painless" way to end it all. I say painless in comparison to say, jumping off a bridge and breaking all your bones but not dying (I know someone who did this, they are messed up for life) or hanging by a rope which seems like a slower ,more painful way to go. Taking your own life is a selfish and cowardly act, so I'm not surprised that people will use the gun if they can. Are we making it easy? Maybe. But that still doesn't justify, to me, why we should take guns away from people who need them for their livelihood or protection, just because some schmoe doesn't wanna live this earth anymore. Let's sacrifice the needs of many to appease the few, as usual.
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Why do so many Americans have gun pictures on here? It is a bit scary.Thank god we can't in Australia just have them on us.....no not religious.. I couldn't handle the thought that anyone walking down the street has a gun on them. How do you handle it? Surely it is frightening. Turns me off going there for a holiday.

It is scary! That's why I won't ever go to Switzerland.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_Switzerland
  • ShutupndMovee257
    ShutupndMovee257 Posts: 316 Member
    Options

Those guns are nice too :)

You're my fav now! :) Many thanks! I see some great leg guns on ya! Keep the safety on! :) (I known that was cheesy. ::kicks rock:: lol)
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I have to say... there's nothing wrong with using guns for hunting or sport, and while I'm not sure they're effective for protection, if owning a gun makes you feel safer then it's worth it.

However, do people really think that a bunch of dudes armed with hunting rifles or pistols and armored with beer bellies would be a deterrent against invasion or oppression?

Might have worked back in the 18th century (and not too often, even then), but military hardware has improved a bit...
    Are we making it (suicide) easy? Maybe. But that still doesn't justify, to me, why we should take guns away from people who need them for their livelihood or protection
    Good thing I never said that...
  • YouMadBro8281
    Options
    I have to say... there's nothing wrong with using guns for hunting or sport, and while I'm not sure they're effective for protection, if owning a gun makes you feel safer then it's worth it.

However, do people really think that a bunch of dudes armed with hunting rifles or pistols and armored with beer bellies would be a deterrent against invasion or oppression?

Might have worked back in the 18th century (and not too often, even then), but military hardware has improved a bit...
    Are we making it (suicide) easy? Maybe. But that still doesn't justify, to me, why we should take guns away from people who need them for their livelihood or protection

So now were all dudes with beer bellies armed with pistols or rifles? Got it.. Am I mad? Nope. Please go on about your vast knowledge in military hardware....
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

I know. It's one of the arguments brought up to support gun control. Wasn't specifically for you. :flowerforyou:

Eta quotes needed fixin
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options

So a bunch of guys with hunting rifles or pistols wouldn't be a deterrent to an invasion?
    People like what you describe are called "resistance fighters" and have quite often turned the tide of war.
    Most of the casulties in the last two wars that the United States have been involved in were the result of ordinary men with guns.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

I disagree. 100 million gun owners and 300 million guns in the US. The largest armies in the world are only 1-1.5 million people (india, china, USA, the koreas, etc). Yes, not the same armaments but still any sort of invasion would add an extreme amount of difficulty here in the US just due to the sheer numbers.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

a) the Swiss do. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_of_Switzerland
    b) you're just making the argument against the government restricting ownership of so-called "assault rifles".
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    Before I got my first gun, my German Shepherd chased a man out of my window. I'm so grateful for my dog... I just have to wonder what would've happened had this burglar been carrying a gun and shot my dog?

Hans:
    Hans_zps6f8400c0.jpg

Beautiful dog! I hope he got a nice steak dinner that night! :laugh:
  • drmarkellis
    Options
    Hi! It's kind of like driving a car--scary at first, but when you read about how many violent crimes have been prevented by guns in the hands of private individuals (in the USA, and according to our our Federal goverment's statistics--over 300,000 times in the last 10 years), it's like having a fire extinguisher in your home or in your car. You hope you never need it, but if you do, it's there.
  • drmarkellis
    Options
    The greater question is what would have happened had this burglar been carrying a gun, shot your dog and then came came into your home, and you were armed with...a frying pan?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    Why do so many Americans have gun pictures on here? It is a bit scary.Thank god we can't in Australia just have them on us.....no not religious.. I couldn't handle the thought that anyone walking down the street has a gun on them. How do you handle it? Surely it is frightening. Turns me off going there for a holiday.
    I just flex my guns.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition