Guns

Options

Replies

• fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    People ask why i own a gun........because i hunt and protect my family...

without the 2nd Amendment, we wouldn't have the 1st...

and because George Washington didn't debate the British, he shot them...

:laugh: :love:

Fear of guns is programmed into one's head by anti-gun propaganda. It's an inanimate object, just like a baseball bat that can easily be used to kill a person too.

My son has a little cricket (.22 rifle for kids) and I told him that my dad and I can take him soon to shoot for the first time. He is 6 and was shooting bullseyes with a bb gun last weekend so I believe it's time. Plus, I think it's the perfect age for him to realize exactly what shooting a gun is like (not the same as a toy gun for sure).
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I'm more worried about the people UNlicensed to carry and have guns concealed. Not at all worried about the people I see that open carry. I know these people have gone through training and background checks and are licensed.
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,957 Member
    Options
    People ask why i own a gun........because i hunt and protect my family...

without the 2nd Amendment, we wouldn't have the 1st...

and because George Washington didn't debate the British, he shot them...

:laugh: :love:

Fear of guns is programmed into one's head by anti-gun propaganda. It's an inanimate object, just like a baseball bat that can easily be used to kill a person too.

My son has a little cricket (.22 rifle for kids) and I told him that my dad and I can take him soon to shoot for the first time. He is 6 and was shooting bullseyes with a bb gun last weekend so I believe it's time. Plus, I think it's the perfect age for him to realize exactly what shooting a gun is like (not the same as a toy gun for sure).

I have a .22 Cricket for my boys also....

I have taught them the 4 rules of Gun Safety ,and told them once they start using real guns, the toy guns get taken to the Goodwill.....
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I'm more worried about the people UNlicensed to carry and have guns concealed. Not at all worried about the people I see that open carry. I know these people have gone through training and background checks and are licensed.

Wanna blow ya mind?

No licenses of any sort in vermont. You know, hippy *kitten* vermont, home of Cabot, the Ivy league, the Sound of Music, and Ben and Jerrys? No licensing, every can carry whatever however they want, provided they aren't federally prohibited.

I'm glad to see this threrad is still going! If it's around after I've killed some ducks I'll post up some pics in here. Because food, and 'Murica!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I have to say... there's nothing wrong with using guns for hunting or sport, and while I'm not sure they're effective for protection, if owning a gun makes you feel safer then it's worth it.

However, do people really think that a bunch of dudes armed with hunting rifles or pistols and armored with beer bellies would be a deterrent against invasion or oppression?

Might have worked back in the 18th century (and not too often, even then), but military hardware has improved a bit...
    Are we making it (suicide) easy? Maybe. But that still doesn't justify, to me, why we should take guns away from people who need them for their livelihood or protection
    Good thing I never said that...
    So a bunch of guys with hunting rifles or pistols wouldn't be a deterrent to an invasion?
    People like what you describe are called "resistance fighters" and have quite often turned the tide of war.
    Most of the casulties in the last two wars that the United States have been involved in were the result of ordinary men with guns.

No, you wouldn't be. You're deluding yourself. Have all the guns that you want, and you won't be able to hold off your local sheriff's department for more than a few hours, much less a furlucking invading army. You aren't the Wolverines and they aren't coming at you with muskets. I always get a good chuckle when people say they want to keep their guns because it keeps Uncle Sam from infringing upon their rights. If the gov't decides to do something, there aren't enough handguns and rifles and whatever else you want to keep them from walking right up to your door and doing whatever the hell they want to do.

Check your recent U.S. history for examples of what happens when armed people try to hold off local LEO or federal agents and see how many times the 2nd amendment won the battle.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    On the topic of a bunch of dudes with guns vs an actual army:
    You get 1000 dudes with handguns, rifles, shotguns, even machine guns if you want; I get some ground attack aircraft, a heavy bomber and a suspension of the Geneva convention. Loser buys the beer.
    So a bunch of guys with hunting rifles or pistols wouldn't be a deterrent to an invasion?
    People like what you describe are called "resistance fighters" and have quite often turned the tide of war.
    Most of the casualties in the last two wars that the United States have been involved in were the result of ordinary men with guns.
    Thank you for illustrating my point. In both wars the insurgents lost way more men than the coalition forces, especially in Afghanistan, and in neither war were the insurgents able to accomplish any of their goals...

Off the top of my head, the last time that a poorly equipped militia force actually accomplished its goal was in the Algerian war... during which the FLN lost ten times more soldiers than the French army and which ended in a French victory. The only reason it (eventually) resulted in Algerian independence was because continued occupation was too expensive, economically and politically.

In fact, this is pretty much the most that an unprofessional army can do: make occupation too costly or cause an outcry... and non-violent resistance can do as well but with less loss of life.
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    You get 1000 dudes with handguns, rifles, shotguns, even machine guns if you want; I get some ground attack aircraft, a heavy bomber and a suspension of the Geneva convention. Loser buys the beer.
    Most of the casualties in the last two wars that the United States have been involved in were the result of ordinary men with guns.
    Thank you for illustrating my point. In both wars the insurgents lost way more men than the coalition forces, especially in Afghanistan, and in neither war were the insurgents able to accomplish any of their goals...

Off the top of my head, the last time that a poorly equipped militia force actually accomplished its goal was in the Algerian war... during which the FLN lost ten times more soldiers than the French army and which ended in a French victory. The only reason it (eventually) resulted in Algerian independence was because continued occupation was too expensive, economically and politically.

In fact, this is pretty much the most that an unprofessional army can do: make occupation too costly or cause an outcry... and non-violent resistance can do as well but with less loss of life.

Wow if the occupation is too costly and the Invading Army leaves that makes them the Losers , Ask the French About Vietnam, maybe ask the Russians about Afganistan and how many years have a bunch of goat herders kept our forces busy ? (And any one who has been there will probley tell you they are not just a bunch of goat herders)The determination comes from what your Military Objectives are and if they are hampered by Political restraints. Hell you could even ask the drug lords in South America. And the goal---get the Invading Army to leave.
  • AlliecoreXX
    AlliecoreXX Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Why? Because WE CAN!!!
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    it clearly states in the Book of Genesis that Guns were provided in the Garden of Eden. thats all i need to know!
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    I have to say... there's nothing wrong with using guns for hunting or sport, and while I'm not sure they're effective for protection, if owning a gun makes you feel safer then it's worth it.

However, do people really think that a bunch of dudes armed with hunting rifles or pistols and armored with beer bellies would be a deterrent against invasion or oppression?

Might have worked back in the 18th century (and not too often, even then), but military hardware has improved a bit...
    Are we making it (suicide) easy? Maybe. But that still doesn't justify, to me, why we should take guns away from people who need them for their livelihood or protection
    Most of the casulties in the last two wars that the United States have been involved in were the result of ordinary men with guns.

No, you wouldn't be. You're deluding yourself. Have all the guns that you want, and you won't be able to hold off your local sheriff's department for more than a few hours, much less a furlucking invading army. You aren't the Wolverines and they aren't coming at you with muskets. I always get a good chuckle when people say they want to keep their guns because it keeps Uncle Sam from infringing upon their rights. If the gov't decides to do something, there aren't enough handguns and rifles and whatever else you want to keep them from walking right up to your door and doing whatever the hell they want to do.

Check your recent U.S. history for examples of what happens when armed people try to hold off local LEO or federal agents and see how many times the 2nd amendment won the battle.

This made me smile, cause it is exactly what I say when someone says their guns are to keep the government in check.

In reality the Wolverines are labeled terrorists, look at all the Iraqis who decided to rise against an invading army. They ended up dead or got dragged to Gitmo because they are terrorist and not guys defending their country using the weapons they have.
  • desertSNOUT
    Options
    1381089763008_zps042e22a8.jpg
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options

what if your worry was about, idk, contracting MRSA, and what made you feel safer was consuming just a little bit of arsenic to kill it, at 3 o'clock every day, and then idk clapping your hands six times
  • desertSNOUT
    Options

what if your worry was about, idk, contracting MRSA, and what made you feel safer was consuming just a little bit of arsenic to kill it, at 3 o'clock every day, and then idk clapping your hands six times

lol
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options

Think what you wish.
    History proves you wrong over and over again.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Examples?
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I pack every day....:smokin:
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    you need a permit and license to open carry and some states dont even allow that.
    its called gun control and i feel you are safer in a place where gun safety is taught and learned by the majority.
    The right to keep and bear arms (often referred as the right to bear arms or to have arms) is the people's right to have their own arms for their defense as described in the philosophical and political writings of Aristotle, Cicero, John Locke, Machiavelli, the English Whigs and others

i learned to shoot a fire arm, before i could actually hold the weight of the gun on my own, i have been shooting for about 12 years, i own a number of guns. and will feel much safer when i can legally carry my 9mm in my purse instead of only hunters grade pepper spray.

this!
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    Examples?
    Syria
    Somolia
    Cuba
    Afganistan
    Iraq
    Thats just off the top of my head
  • dbmata
    Options
    Examples?
    Syria
    Somolia
    Cuba
    Afganistan
    Iraq
    Thats just off the top of my head

That's a big dose of the irish spring. Boom.
  • dbmata
    Options

You didn't really read what you quoted, did you?