Options
    Examples?
    Syria
    Somolia
    Cuba
    Afganistan
    Iraq
    Thats just off the top of my head

Yeah, those Iraqis certainly won that battle. When do they put saddam back in charge? And yeah, the news here labels the Afghans that are setting IEDs up as patriots, don't they? Real American heroes, those guys.

Which one of these was someone in the USA standing up to LEO with his closet full of pistols? Which time did they prevent the warrant from being served?
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    Examples?
    Syria
    Somolia
    Cuba
    Afganistan
    Iraq

Yeah, those Iraqis certainly won that battle. When do they put saddam back in charge? And yeah, the news here labels the Afghans that are setting IEDs up as patriots, don't they? Real American heroes, those guys.

Which one of these was someone in the USA standing up to LEO with his closet full of pistols? Which time did they prevent the warrant from being served?
    No... the Iraqis did not put Saddam back in power but, they sure caused the United States to rethink the occupation.
    Same with Afganistan.
    It has nothing to do with being an "American Hero" as you put it rather, it has to do with irregular forces eventually dominating a well trained military.
    And no, a single guy with a closet full of pistols won't last against a modern police force.
    a thousand guys with hunting rifles will.
    And if you think it can't happen here in America, you are only fooling yourself.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    Examples?
    Syria
    Somolia
    Cuba
    Afganistan
    Iraq

No... the Iraqis did not put Saddam back in power but, they sure caused the United States to rethink the occupation.
    Same with Afganistan.
    It has nothing to do with being an "American Hero" as you put it rather, it has to do with irregular forces eventually dominating a well trained military.
    And no, a single guy with a closet full of pistols won't last against a modern police force.
    And if you think it can't happen here in America, you are only fooling yourself.

a thousand guys with hunting rifles will be taken out in a short weekend.

and what cant happen in America? the prosecution of some militia nuts who are breaking the law? they will get put in their place very quickly.
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    When I was getting my kids hair cut a couple weeks ago, a woman in the barber shop said something about gun registries. First, I had to school her on the fact that there is no legal gun registration in this country. When I shot down every argument she could make as to why she thought there should be one, she only had one response: " I just know that guns are dangerous."

My response: *looked down at my pocket* "Really? Mine doesn't seem to be killing anyone at the moment."

She didn't have much left to say to me after that. Go figure.
  • candacet36
    candacet36 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Funny .... I fear the active shooter that probably is not permited or trained but out to kill.

The people that take the time to aquire the permits and learn to use a gun responsibly I admire!
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    i think the point the op is making is not that everyone on the street IS carrying a gun, its that everyone on the street COULD be carrying a gun and you wouldnt know about it.

i actually think open carry laws are less frightening that conceal carry. at least you know if someone has a gun or not. and certainly people that are carrying guns arent going to go around shooting someone, but if the moment gets heated (road rage, argument etc) there is nothing stopping the person pulling the gun out to intimidate and accidents can happen. In australia (and other countries with strict gun control) this is less likely to happen because regardless of how low the % of people carrying is in america, its lower here. i can assume that everyone i walk past doesnt have a gun on them, i couldnt say the same if i went there.

infact, you only have to look at the news, how many gun massacres in schools and movie theatres do you here about from over there compared to here in australia.

now i have nothing against people owning guns. one of my best mate has his gun license and its something i would consider when my kids are older. but here is a quick break down of the laws here for owning a gun.

the gun can not be loaded apart from at the range
    ammo for the gun must be stored it a seperate locked container to the gun
    the gun safe must be bolted to the foundation of your house
    only the license holder can know the combination and hold a key to the gun safe.
    when in transit, the gun must be in a seperate part of the cabin than the driver. IE in the trunk of the car

any breach of any of those rules results in an instant loss of license and confiscation of weapons.

besides, people misinterperetted the constitution. they were just hot, the "right to bear arms" should have been written as "the right to bare arms" and all they wanted was to be able to wear short sleave shirts.
  • maddogg82
    maddogg82 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    what do you have against showing off guns?

hJjoNdz.jpg?1

This is exactly what i was thinking when i saw GUns.. :laugh:
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    Funny .... I fear the active shooter that probably is not permited or trained but out to kill.

The people that take the time to aquire the permits and learn to use a gun responsibly I admire!

That would not be an active shooter , that would be a criminal.
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options

hJjoNdz.jpg?1

Me toooo..........imagine my disappointment. Good day.......:yawn:
  • maddogg82
    maddogg82 Posts: 159 Member
    Options

hJjoNdz.jpg?1

Me toooo..........imagine my disappointment. Good day.......:yawn:

Right!! I was like oh sexy guns.. let see.. and nothing.. Sigh... :grumble:
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    Examples?
    Syria
    Somolia
    Cuba
    Afganistan
    Iraq

Same with Afganistan.

and what cant happen in America? the prosecution of some militia nuts who are breaking the law? they will get put in their place very quickly.
    You are wrong.
    I don't mean to sound offensive or insulting in any way but, you really don't know much about warfare or how much damage can be caused by a handful of well armed civilians.
    Again, history has proved this again and again.
    And I do honestly feel that America could very easily break down into total and complete anarchy with a small push.
    Look at what happened after Katrina. Total and complete chaos. Granted, that was only a VERY small sample and once things settled down things went back to normal.
    Today, our government is shut down. We can blame the democrats, we can blame the Republicans, we can blame big oil and the hippies. The fact is, there IS a line that has been drawn and that line is getting more and more defined.
    It won't take much of a spark for a war of words to become a war of guns.
    I do, honestly in my heart, believe that in my lifetime, I will see that happen. Some political party will decide that the opposing political party is no longer inconvenient but, it is dangerous.
    Again, history has seen this happen over and over again. For us to think it can't happen here is short sighted.
    I am a gun owner. No, I don't own multiple machine guns and I don't go out on the weekends running around shooting at pop up targets of polititions.
    Armed civilians can and HAVE held off professional Soldiers.
    And will continue to do so in the future.
  • dennik15
    dennik15 Posts: 97 Member
    Options

Here's another thought...should it come down to it my guns are here to protect me and mine as well as provide food should there ever be a situation where getting to a grocery store is impossible. I'm not a doomsdayer by any stretch, I'm pretty sure my local Wegman's will be providing for my family for as long as I'm alive. That being said, if the unimaginable happens I am more prepared to survive than those who are willing to rely on others providing for them.
  • SOCOLOCO87
    SOCOLOCO87 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Why do so many Americans have gun pictures on here? It is a bit scary.Thank god we can't in Australia just have them on us.....no not religious.. I couldn't handle the thought that anyone walking down the street has a gun on them. How do you handle it? Surely it is frightening. Turns me off going there for a holiday.
    Extremely few Americans are just walking around with guns.

We do, however, have a large number of people who like to hunt.

Try visiting a place before judging it.
    I believe there are quite a few Americans walking around with guns. I carry, my H does as do 2 out of 4 of my neighbors... however I'm in Texas

TEXAS!! WOO
  • chunkiedunker
    chunkiedunker Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    legal gun owners take classes and permits to carry their firearms and to own them. some states you can open carry, other states you can conceal carry. Its not the gun thats scary. its the guy who isn't going to the classes and legally owning guns that is scary.

the only way i would feel safe against people like that is to own one myself. if i am in danger and fearful of my life the best way i know how to counteract that is to have my own gun. I choose to go the legal way of that though.

these criminals (and they are criminals just by illegally possessing a firearm and carrying it illegally) are the sole reason for most law abiding citizens carrying firearms.

And dont give me the well if there were no guns thing. its not the gun. the gun is a tool. if they didn't use a gun they would use a knife or a bow and arrow or a rock that they broke to have jagged and sharp edges to beat you with.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    There is little to be afraid of. I am sure you would tell me to enjoy the beaches in Australia in spite of the fact, all we hear about here i the US is shark attacks. The USA is an awesome country, with a diverse culture, unique cities, and a varied and striking landscapes. Instead of sitting around watching the news, you really should come and experience it. Then contrast that with a trip to Syria or Egypt on the way back home.

There are lots of arguments for and against guns. The fact remains that legal gun owners don't have them to kill people, they have them to protect themselves, their families and others. Crooks are not legal gun owners, and they have them to intimidate and kill. That is the same in Australia.

You can find crime in any country, and most of the world's people rely on the police to show up and remedy the situation. Unfortunately, when you need help in seconds, it takes minutes for them to show up; in some cites 10's of minutes.

A responsible, licensed and trained gun owner is an asset to society.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    i think the point the op is making is not that everyone on the street IS carrying a gun, its that everyone on the street COULD be carrying a gun and you wouldnt know about it.

i actually think open carry laws are less frightening that conceal carry. at least you know if someone has a gun or not. and certainly people that are carrying guns arent going to go around shooting someone, but if the moment gets heated (road rage, argument etc) there is nothing stopping the person pulling the gun out to intimidate and accidents can happen. In australia (and other countries with strict gun control) this is less likely to happen because regardless of how low the % of people carrying is in america, its lower here. i can assume that everyone i walk past doesnt have a gun on them, i couldnt say the same if i went there.

infact, you only have to look at the news, how many gun massacres in schools and movie theatres do you here about from over there compared to here in australia.

Very, very rarely does a situation of "road rage" turn into a shooting by people who are licensed to carry concealed (I believe someone already pointed out that only something like 0.01% of gun-related crimes are committed by CCW holders). And more often, the people that you hear about in the news that do things like shoot up schools are mentally unstable and not likely to be able to legally receive such a license, and in some places, a firearm at all. Additionally, the vast majority of gun-related deaths (to the tune of like 2/3) are suicides.

Then, there's also the fact that several of the largest events that have happened in our history were not committed solely with guns. Oklahoma City? A bomb. Columbine? Was actually a failed bombing (Harris's plan was to detonate bombs in cars and the cafeteria, and take out the people who ran out; it failed because it's actually very difficult to blow up a propane tank). All of the World Trade Center attacks? Bombings. Unabomber? Timothy McVeigh? Boston Marathon? All bombings. If a psycho that wants to kill a bunch of people decides to do so, they're going to do it with whatever they have available to them. They don't do it because they have one or more firearms, they do it because they're nuts.

Additionally, the thought that someone COULD be {insert grave possibility here} is exactly what has, around here, created a culture of hover-parents, and has made it difficult for men to be at all involved in the lives of kids, particularly young kids and girls (because they could be pedophiles!). The person you pass on the street could be a bona fide psychopath, or he could be a black belt in Tae Kwan Do, or he could be a Russian spy, or he could be someone who was relocated under the witness protection program. Any given person COULD be a lot of things. And fearing the people that COULD be something that rarely happens more often results in stupid actions taken on the fearful's part (and on a government level, it's what creates costly, knee-jerk laws that do more harm than good).
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Why do so many Americans have gun pictures on here? It is a bit scary.Thank god we can't in Australia just have them on us.....no not religious.. I couldn't handle the thought that anyone walking down the street has a gun on them. How do you handle it? Surely it is frightening. Turns me off going there for a holiday.
    Extremely few Americans are just walking around with guns.

We do, however, have a large number of people who like to hunt.

Try visiting a place before judging it.
    I believe there are quite a few Americans walking around with guns. I carry, my H does as do 2 out of 4 of my neighbors... however I'm in Texas

TEXAS!! WOO

...and far fewer people hunt than those that carry arms for safety on a daily basis. Then there are those of us who do both.
  • dbmata
    Options
    now i have nothing against men marrying men. one of my best mate has a husband and its something i would consider when my kids are older. but here is a quick break down of the laws here for anything involving freedom of choice.

Fixed it for you.
  • dbmata
    Options
    As promised. My results from my first day hunting ducks.

2vx1z08.jpg