Sugar is scary..

Options

Replies

• Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I just don't know what to think. :\ I mean I know sugars in fruit are good but like, the high fructose corn syrup stuff? Idk man. :c It's hard to know with all these different sources saying different things.
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Big food will do everything in their power to deny it including placing people on this site.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Big food will do everything in their power to deny it including placing people on this site.

How do I hook up with Big Food anyway? What's the pay like? I mean, all the time I spend telling people not to fear food/sugar I should be getting kickbacks.

At least some free cookies! I only have two left and the commissary is closed. :sad: :cry:
    LOL! I've never gotten any kickbacks either! But I did get a free Nutella sample in my mailbox the other day.:love:
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

How do I hook up with Big Food anyway? What's the pay like? I mean, all the time I spend telling people not to fear food/sugar I should be getting kickbacks.

At least some free cookies! I only have two left and the commissary is closed. :sad: :cry:
    LOL! I've never gotten any kickbacks either! But I did get a free Nutella sample in my mailbox the other day.:love:

Big Food is letting us down!
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I used to think so too...Its not...my skippy peanut butter and honey told me so

Skippy PB with honey is good...but Peter Pan with honey is even better!
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options

Yes, they are. I used to work for Big Food, but they refused to pay for my unicorn that farts rainbows. Budget cuts, they said. F*ckers.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Yes, they are. I used to work for Big Food, but they refused to pay for my unicorn that farts rainbows. Budget cuts, they said. F*ckers.

There you go! Big Food not only kicks puppies, but also starves unicorns. Big Food?! They're Big Meanies if you ask me
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

...because clearly, quietly killing off their customers is good for business???

you can't be serious. this is just some elaborate joke, right?

RRnhhqW.gif
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I'm watching a documentary about the effects of sugar on the body. I never knew it was this bad. Dear lord. Fructose apparently messes with your brain so that it won't send messages to your body that you're full. So you'll keep eating because your brain thinks you're still hungry. This is terrifying. Why isn't there more public knowledge about this? ****ing sugar companies being just as secretive as the tobacco companies. Gosh.

Be chill. Wait for a documentary that explains that your brain can only use sugar as fuel and you'll die without your brain.

Then it'll all balance out. :p
    Ugh...it's just so bad, I can't. I'm so scared.

It's just information and while you process it, it's ok to be scared.

However, to put things in proper perspective, too much of anything is a bad thing. If you have a family history of diabetes (mom, aunt, uncle, dad, cousins, grandparents etc.) then you stand to have a higher chance of having sugar regulation issues.

While your brain needs some, when taking in too much, excess is stored as fat and we all agree too much of that on the body is also not a good thing. Knowing that the body responds to carbs the same it does to all sugars (including fruit) means that, again, if you have particular markers for sugar dysregulation to run in your family, then you should be cautious as can become a problem quite quickly.
    Provided you are relatively healthy, don't have high blood pressure, don't have a family history with certain markers etc. then I would not worry too much. Get your carbs from fruit & veggies and vary your diet as much as you can. This is not ground breaking news but it IS one constant that will likely not harm you :wink:

I never knew how strong the genetic link was and had no idea that I was at risk until I became full blown T2 (an irreversible condition, btw). It takes years for blood sugar regulation to break down, I know it started for me with my last child 17 years ago, hind sight being what it is, but whatever :blushing:

I had trouble losing weight despite heavy lifting, gym classes, TDEE < 20%, yoga classes, diet etc, fell asleep after every meal, was run down enough to always need to sleep despite sleeping a full night, not having the energy to go through daily tasks, constant hunger, even though I was feeling physically full, had gestational diabetes, have relatives with diabetes etc. then you might want to check your sugar/carb consumption.

Feel free to PM me if you have additional questions, I'll help if I can.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I just don't know what to think. :\ I mean I know sugars in fruit are good but like, the high fructose corn syrup stuff? Idk man. :c It's hard to know with all these different sources saying different things.
    For the record, the sugar in fruit and the sugar in HFCS are the EXACT SAME SUGARS. If one is good, then both are good, if one is bad, then both are bad. You're creating a dilemma where none exists. Sugar is just a carbohydrate, it's used for energy by your brain, organs, and muscles in the form of glycogen. Very, very rarely is sugar ever stored as fat.

As for the poster talking about Lustig; Lustig has been completely debunked. His entire argument is based on cherry picked science, and even blatant lies (eg: Japan doesn't consume fructose, which is completely false.) He bases his conclusions on old research on children (he's a pediatrician) that has no relevance to grown adults (even though he preaches this toward adults) while completely ignoring both older and newer research that directly refutes his claims.

Edited for typos.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

11026-tinfoil-hat.jpg
  • Via_14
    Via_14 Posts: 992 Member
    Options

11026-tinfoil-hat.jpg

haha look at da cat!! rofl lolz...... i love cats =)
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Be chill. Wait for a documentary that explains that your brain can only use sugar as fuel and you'll die without your brain.
    The more I read on the internet, the more I suspect that isn't true.
  • bincorvati
    Options
    I'm more concerned about where my sugar comes from.
    If it's in my fruits and veggies, fine.
    If it's been refined, processed, or created, I will pass.
    Listen to your body and respond appropriately - be an advocate for your own health and wellness!
    Don't ask "what do others say?" ask "How do I feel?"
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

What is "Big Food"?
  • Quieau
    Quieau Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I'm more concerned about where my sugar comes from.
    If it's in my fruits and veggies, fine.
    If it's been refined, processed, or created, I will pass.
    Listen to your body and respond appropriately - be an advocate for your own health and wellness!
    Don't ask "what do others say?" ask "How do I feel?"

THIS! All sugars are not bad, but highly processed ones have a lot of dangers that go along with their "fast fuel" benefit.

Watch "Hungry for Change" on Netflix ... and "Food Matters" ... just because a calorie is a calorie and all sugars may burn at the same rate, doesn't mean that each can't have its own discrete dangers and risks. HFCS is hell on your liver! But yes, a calorie is a calorie as long as you don't mind having the liver of an alcoholic. Most of those claiming there are no drawbacks are very young and have yet to experience to the long-term side effects of unclean eating. They think if it hasn't hurt them, it must not be dangerous.

I know lots of folks who smoked cigarettes all their lives but never developed lung cancer. But that doesn't mean that cigarettes don't cause lung cancer. Each person's 'ecosystem' is unique and some risks are more dangerous in some bodies than others. Other factors like exercise habits and the quality of the rest of the diet make a difference. How much water is ingested daily. It all counts.

The more processed your food is, the less likely it will nourish your body safely. Sugars are fine in moderation, but the natural sugars in natural concentrations and delivered with the fiber and vitamins of a whole fresh peach are infinitely better for you than the same number of calories from a soda full of HFCS.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

Honey has the same sugar ratios as HFCS.
  • deathend
    Options
    What they're saying: Sugar causes all of these issues and is bad for your body!
    What is happening: They're basing this on sugar from refined sources and simple carbohydrates.
    What they're doing: Finally giving up junk food they shouldn't have been eating to begin with.
    Why it works: They were eating high amounts of bad sugars/food that turned into simple sugars.

There's a hell of a difference between bread and candy compared to fruits and berries. This is also why the glycemic index exists and what people mean when they're talking about good and bad carbs. I mean in a sense going by what you said the documentary is about it's actually right, but there's tons of science and ways to look at it rather than "sugar is bad for you!".
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options

Hang on.

Someone will pay me to come on here and talk sense to people.

I don't suppose you have the contact info, do you?
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    And for the record, eating large amounts of most things isn't going to be good for you, so why is the fact that eating large amounts of sugar isn't great for you such a focus? It doesn't need to be blown out of proportion and demonised.