Sugar is scary..

Options

Replies

• FrauMama
    FrauMama Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Talim, NOT eating processed sugar is not going to hurt you. Do what you need to do to make the right difference in your life. I read your profile, and see you've dealt with a lifetime of weight issues. If cutting out sugar works or makes you feel good or helps you reach your goals, do it. I've watched the documentary you're talking about and it has valid points for sure. Like I mentioned earlier, though, that one and almost everything else you're going to encounter needs examination and further research. Yes, everyone has an agenda; it is up to YOU to take the information you find and work with it for your own health and benefit.

For me, cutting out most processed food and almost all sugar--natural or not--as been advantageous. I've improved lipids, triglycerides, blood sugar...everything. And that is WITH eating way more fat. That is what works for me, with my genetics and lifestyle. You will find what works for you by experimentation and research and work. Don't let most of the responses to this get you down, but let them make you think and examine, and realize that there are two sides to every opinion and also that there is no ONE answer for everyone (though, honestly, I'd believe that NOT eating crap food and processed/refined sugar is bad for anyone). People get extremely condescending on this site and can be dismissive, rude and flippant if you deign to express something different than they think or believe. Don't let it bother you. I've been on this site for a long time and got so fed up with the BS, but came back recently...apparently for more torture :P (seriously, it was because I like MFP for exercise and weight logging better than the other apps out there).

Just take the rudeness of the "knowledgeable people trying to help" with a grain of salt and check out what they're saying. Some absolutely have very valid, perhaps eye-opening suggestions. I've learned a lot here, it's just sometimes hard to look past the snarkiness and ridiculous gifs.

Good luck!
  • FrauMama
    FrauMama Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    When other people see a post like this does anybody else immediately go and look at the age of the OP? Just curious....

Yeah, she's 20. So what? I'm 40 and I wish I'd been doing this research and learning when I was 20. Her age does not mean you need to be condescending, even if you're quite a bit older (as I am). That comment serves NO purpose to this thread, other than to be rude. Come on.
  • shutyourpieholeandsquat
    Options
    When other people see a post like this does anybody else immediately go and look at the age of the OP? Just curious....

Yeah, she's 20. So what? I'm 40 and I wish I'd been doing this research and learning when I was 20. Her age does not mean you need to be condescending, even if you're quite a bit older (as I am). That comment serves NO purpose to this thread, other than to be rude. Come on.

Yeah. I'm kind of a ***** today.
  • Love4ThatCat
    Options
    Talim, you really touched a nerve! If you're truly curious, read a book called Sugar Blues by William Dufty, published originally in 1975. You might be able to find it at your local library or you can buy a copy -- it's still in print. It will give you an eye-opening discussion about the effects of refined sugar, which is what is the really problematic substance, not the "sugar" found in unprocessed food like fruits and vegetables. Don't be scared, be educated!
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    the sugarphobia that has gripped so many people who are desperate to find something (or someone) else to blame for all of their (and society's) "health woes" makes me sad. :cry:
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Talim, you really touched a nerve! If you're truly curious, read a book called Sugar Blues by William Dufty, published originally in 1975. You might be able to find it at your local library or you can buy a copy -- it's still in print. It will give you an eye-opening discussion about the effects of refined sugar, which is what is the really problematic substance, not the "sugar" found in unprocessed food like fruits and vegetables. Don't be scared, be educated!
    Because a 40 year old book trumps current science. :huh:
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Next documentary: it's not sugar causing all these problems, it's evil spirits.
  • VeinsAndBones
    VeinsAndBones Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Hehehe I'll just be sitting here eating my Häägen Dazs whilst you organics bicker... Oh and I'm plotting the destruction of your species too, just fyi ;)
  • cacklingcat
    cacklingcat Posts: 150 Member
    Options

yes :drinker:
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

yes :drinker:

LOL only thing these fear mongering threads do for me is make me get up and run out to the garage and bring in a new half gallon of chocolate reese's peanut butter cup ice cream ... :drinker:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

:laugh:
  • Fairlieboy
    Fairlieboy Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Saccarides is the biochemical name for the group of compounds that most people know as carbohydrates. Simple ones are sugars, longer ones as starches. Sugars ain't 1 thing. For example glucose is used by all living things as the only thing for energy. Fructose looks just like glucose, but just a little different. Likewise galactose. Sucrose (compound of glucose+fructose) is a di-saccharide and is table sugar. So when you hear sugar is scary - what the scientific evidence is unequivocal about is that fructose should be viewed as the same as alcohol. One glass, ok. One bottle. Sick. One glass being no more than 2 peices of fruit in this analogy. Amounts of fructose consumed as added sugar or as hfcs (high fructose corn syrup) in western diets averages 40 teaspoons a day!. Scientific evidence is now unequivocal. Heart disease, cancer, fatty liver disease, chronic kidney disease, type 2 diabetes and dementia all follow. The only issue is that eating fructose & getting these diseases takes 20 years. In animals you get these is 6 weeks or 6 months. Science does not allow this ethically. So believe Lustig and others. For health reasons cut out all added sugar.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Saccarides is the biochemical name for the group of compounds that most people know as carbohydrates. Simple ones are sugars, longer ones as starches. Sugars ain't 1 thing. For example glucose is used by all living things as the only thing for energy. Fructose looks just like glucose, but just a little different. Likewise galactose. Sucrose (compound of glucose+fructose) is a di-saccharide and is table sugar. So when you hear sugar is scary - what the scientific evidence is unequivocal about is that fructose should be viewed as the same as alcohol. One glass, ok. One bottle. Sick. One glass being no more than 2 peices of fruit in this analogy. Amounts of fructose consumed as added sugar or as hfcs (high fructose corn syrup) in western diets averages 40 teaspoons a day!. Scientific evidence is now unequivocal. Heart disease, cancer, fatty liver disease, chronic kidney disease, type 2 diabetes and dementia all follow. The only issue is that eating fructose & getting these diseases takes 20 years. In animals you get these is 6 weeks or 6 months. Science does not allow this ethically. So believe Lustig and others. For health reasons cut out all added sugar.
    NO.
  • critterbug2
    critterbug2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Sugar has NO nutritional value and is NOT healthy!
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Sugar has NO nutritional value and is NOT healthy!

strong first post.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

I always rely on almost 40 year old science and supposition to form an opinion.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Well, I for one am terrified of running out of donuts and ice cream
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Big food will do everything in their power to deny it including placing people on this site.
    lol

Hi. I'm here representing nobody at all, and sugar is just a carb.

And you are ridiculous.
  • 4homer
    4homer Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Big food will do everything in their power to deny it including placing people on this site.
    lol

Hi. I'm here representing nobody at all, and sugar is just a carb.

And you are ridiculous.
    false. You are working for the man! Now let me find my tinfoil hat....