FrauMama Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Well this thread really brought out the crazy

Yep.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options

Sugar is fine. Sugar is good. Sugar from fruits, sugar from cake, sugar cane - its all good. Too much of it will lead to weight gain, but too much of anything will lead to weight gain. If you eat 3000 calories of lettuce every day, you'll gain weight (and probably vomit and want to kill yourself because you ate a metric ton of lettuce). If you inject HFCS straight into your blood stream 24/7, yeah, you'll have some ill effects.

I have found that the most successful people on this site do not rant against sugar, or carbs, or fat. They hit their macros, they don't restrict, and they exercise.

And have the livers of alcoholics apparently.

I guess the joke will be on us when the alarmists are proven right and we all drop dead in 2 weeks.

I just chalk it up to my obviously superior genetic makeup . . .

Personally I'm using my sweet paycheck from Big Food to buy the necessary medical treatment to keep me alive.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Sugar is fine. Sugar is good. Sugar from fruits, sugar from cake, sugar cane - its all good. Too much of it will lead to weight gain, but too much of anything will lead to weight gain. If you eat 3000 calories of lettuce every day, you'll gain weight (and probably vomit and want to kill yourself because you ate a metric ton of lettuce). If you inject HFCS straight into your blood stream 24/7, yeah, you'll have some ill effects.

I have found that the most successful people on this site do not rant against sugar, or carbs, or fat. They hit their macros, they don't restrict, and they exercise.

I guess the joke will be on us when the alarmists are proven right and we all drop dead in 2 weeks.

If something has to be my undoing I'm glad it's going to be my nightly ice cream and thus something I love.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Personally I'm using my sweet paycheck from Big Food to buy the necessary medical treatment to keep me alive.

I keep checking the mailbox for my check. Must be the government shut down. Damn you Congress!!!
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

I keep checking the mailbox for my check. Must be the government shut down. Damn you Congress!!!

taking money from big food is basically the same as killing unicorns. Don't ask how or why, just believe me. I saw it on the internet.
  • lynalinda
    lynalinda Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Refined sugar is ****, so as the high fructose corn syrup. The good sugars are the one that are in fruits, whole grain products, starchy food like sweet potatoes etc, there are also good sugars like maple syrup and agave nectar. Your body runs in sugar, glucose, without it you would die so don't be afraid. Eat as much natural and unprocessed stuff that you can, and indulge from time to time if you want to, and you'll be fine.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

taking money from big food is basically the same as killing unicorns. Don't ask how or why, just believe me. I saw it on the internet.

That must be some great cash then, because there's nothing as tasty as unicorn tenderloin wrapped in bacon.
  • xoTalim
    xoTalim Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Whoa, a lot of you guys misunderstood me. I know sugar in fruits is good. I was talking about the refined stuff and high fructose corn syrup. Not natural sugars. Sheesh. D:
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Whoa, a lot of you guys misunderstood me. I know sugar in fruits is good. I was talking about the refined stuff and high fructose corn syrup. Not natural sugars. Sheesh. D:
    You started a great discussion and that's always a good thing. :flowerforyou: There are undoubtedly plenty of people who share your concerns and are glad to be seeing both sides of the argument presented.
  • FrauMama
    FrauMama Posts: 169 Member
    Options

This is just what happens with most threads here. Not super motivating, huh??
  • goodnamegone
    Options
    This is why I stopped eating bread. I don't eat much sugar anymore. And I do notice the difference. I feel a lot better.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options

Yes this IS what happens most threads. Several people come in and offer clear and concise information, backed by facts, to refute fearmongering nonsense, so that people aren't misled and have a chance to actually have a sustainable and successful weight loss plan. I'd say that is plenty motivating,
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options

Yes this IS what happens most threads. Several people come in and offer clear and concise information, backed by facts, to refute fearmongering nonsense, so that people aren't misled and have a chance to actually have a sustainable and successful weight loss plan. I'd say that is plenty motivating,

:drinker:
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

so true.

3 or 4 posts grounded in solid science and fact can get undermined by 1 derpy post from just a random drive-by poster simply because the OP prefers to believe the derp over the science. i'm not saying that is what is happening here, just using it as an example to illustrate a common sitewide problem. anybody with a computer or smartphone can get a free account and post derpy nonsense on here.

it's frustrating.

it's why lots of knowledgeable people stop trying to help.
  • xoTalim
    xoTalim Posts: 212 Member
    Options

so true.

3 or 4 posts grounded in solid science and fact can get undermined by 1 derpy post from justa random drive-by poster simply because the OP prefers to believe the derp over the science.

it's frustrating.

Um, I don't believe the "derp" over the science. The documentary I watched did a lot of studies. -.-
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    derpty der
  • justlistening
    justlistening Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Personally all of these so called documenteries are vehicles for showing very biased views on whatever topic. They start with facts and then move on to whatever controversal subject.

For example, we were watching a documentary on dirt, how it breaks down materials, the mico-organisms growing in it etc. then it slowly starts talking about how our dirt is becoming bad by whatever company etc.

Another example, we were watching a documentary on sushi, how it started, why wasabi is used etc. eventually it moved into the sustainability of fish, fish farming etc. and how bad it is.

It doesn't matter what the topic, eventually the documentary wants you to somehow change what you do! I don't like that these documentaries have such an agenda.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options

so true.

3 or 4 posts grounded in solid science and fact can get undermined by 1 derpy post from justa random drive-by poster simply because the OP prefers to believe the derp over the science.

it's frustrating.

Um, I don't believe the "derp" over the science. The documentary I watched did a lot of studies. -.-

OP, I believe that BB was trying to point out that other posters who are knowledgeable about health and nutrition have come here and offered some evidence debunking the myth that sugar is evil...not that you believe the "derp." Too much of any kind of sugar *can* be harmful, but becoming terrified by one documentary on the subject before you do more research may only cause you unnecessary stress. :flowerforyou:
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Personally all of these so called documenteries are vehicles for showing very biased views on whatever topic. They start with facts and then move on to whatever controversal subject.

For example, we were watching a documentary on dirt, how it breaks down materials, the mico-organisms growing in it etc. then it slowly starts talking about how our dirt is becoming bad by whatever company etc.

Another example, we were watching a documentary on sushi, how it started, why wasabi is used etc. eventually it moved into the sustainability of fish, fish farming etc. and how bad it is.

It doesn't matter what the topic, eventually the documentary wants you to somehow change what you do! I don't like that these documentaries have such an agenda.

Definitely. Documentaries are made for the very reason of promoting a certain agenda or POV. They are not always the be all end all truth on the subject, though.
  • shutyourpieholeandsquat
    Options
    When other people see a post like this does anybody else immediately go and look at the age of the OP? Just curious....