Do you let your partner tell you what to wear?

Options

Replies

• dcarr67
    dcarr67 Posts: 1,403
    Options
    Your husband would be making a good choice then :)

I haven't been married 24 years by telling my wife anything...LOL
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I value my husband's opinion, but I don't always follow it. He won't object if I dress sexy to go out with him, but for the most part he doesn't care. I tend to ask him more about interview clothes and the like, and he has been known to give good advice.

If your SO is complaining that you might get too much attention, remind him that he's all the attention you care about or need.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    No, my man is down with my choices, lol.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Heck no! My SO is a bit more clever in that department, though. He works on positive reinforcement.
    I'll wear a dress or an outfit and he'll mention off-the-cuff "I love that colour" or "That dress looks great on you"... So I'll make a mental note to buy/wear more stuff in that colour/style because he likes it and so do I!

If we have something special lined up like a party etc, I will ask him what level of "fancy" we need to be (I am a jeans and teeshirt type of girl by default, and he lives in Hawaii so most of the time even that gets downgraded to "shorts and vest) before we go out.

I like him to find me attractive, but he's not so insecure that he would tell me not to wear something for fear of attracting attention from other men.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Nope. He doesn't offer anything unless I ask his opinion.

His intelligence leaves me in awe sometimes. :-D
  • lintino
    lintino Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    This made me smile. I love big, colorful and beautiful prints. My husband has frequently said he does not like them. But he will still go out with me!!!
  • Clameater
    Clameater Posts: 317
    Options
    No, but I tell them what they can't wear
  • rollins52
    Options
    The thing is, it's not what he said, it's what he meant.

Maybe he was expressing some insecurity about himself in your relationship, a certain amount of anxiety about whether he deserves you or not. Maybe he needs reassurance. Maybe he just wants to hear that, no matter how sexy you look or how many guys try to hit on you, he is your one and only.

Unless he isn't.

In which case, yeah, he SHOULD be concerned about what you're wearing.
  • Change4mygirls
    Change4mygirls Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Only if it shows too much cleavage.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    That would not fly with me.

I "let my partner tell me what to wear"...as in...I ask him "owl necklace or spiky necklace? red dress or black skirt? yellow shoes with this, or just brown shoes?"

I like his opinion. I like looking nice for him. I am perfectly capable of dressing myself, however, and whether something is revealing or not is not the issue. Good for you for telling him what's what!!!

ETA: I also rely on my fiance and my mom to tell me when something is too big for me. That happens a lot lately because I'm not totally used to wearing smaller stuff than before. Just this AM, I trusted my fiance's opinion to toss this old shirt that was literally falling off one shoulder when I woke up. It's not cute even for sleeping in now.
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I wear what i want to, but to be fair my hubby has not come across any clothing that he would have objection to. If he did though, i would appreciate his concern and explain to him why i am not going to change LOL
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    My partner never tells me what to wear. Although I know that he would prefer that I not post revealing photos of myself on mfp, and I don't because of that, but I agree with his reasoning for not doing it which is also based on some specific past experiences (this applies to me and my own life, I also see the reasons for doing it and think it's great that people do).
  • suz155
    suz155 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Nope, we respect each others choices.
  • Via_14
    Via_14 Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    not engaged yet bt my mum and bro tell me what to wear -_- more so mum but if its not up to scratch bro will say someethinggg.. da dum! im a conservative dresser but sometimes mum thinks my skirt is short, note knee length = not appropriate! lol
  • wjewell
    wjewell Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    My fiance doesn't really try to tell me what to wear. However, sometimes he will let me know what he thinks if I ask. I do value his opinion, though. If he doesn't want me showing my "goods" for all to see, I do respect that. People are different though. I respect his opinion, but he doesn't tell me what to do, what to wear.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    just walk around naked...problem solved.
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    I ain't scared to say it, but he probably thought you looked like a Hooker in your outfit & that's why he said not to wear it.

Are hookers wearing formal gowns now?
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    My wife tells me what to wear all the time.
    She does ALL my clothes shopping.
    She buys it; I wear it.
    After doing the laundry, she hangs the shirts/pants in my closet.
    Each morning, I get the next outfit in line.
    As you can see, I'm a huge fashion nut.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I ain't scared to say it, but he probably thought you looked like a Hooker in your outfit & that's why he said not to wear it.

1/10 if not troll... 11/10 if troll.
  • Clameater
    Clameater Posts: 317
    Options

Are hookers wearing formal gowns now?

Look girl, I didn't see you dressed up in the bedroom. Either you man's a controlling **** or you looked like a Hooker...