Do you let your partner tell you what to wear?

Options

Replies

• Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    Listen, Woman. If a boyfriend/husband/etc. tells a woman not to wear something, it's probably b/c it makes her look like a slut/hooker/street-walker/etc. If that's not the case, then the man's a controlling ****... That's what I've said the whole post.

"Listen, Woman."? :))
    Please keep telling me how it is, you all-knowing Man.
    It makes my lady bits all tingly.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,095 Member
    Options
    But even if it does make her look like a hooker (in his opinion) it is still her choice whether to wear it or not.

I am ok with a man giving the opinion that the outfit looks like a hooker, I am not ok with him telling her she is not allowed to wear it.
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    Well I'll have to give in to your obvious expertise regarding what prostitutes wear, I personally don't spend much time around them.
  • Clameater
    Clameater Posts: 317
    Options
    Listen, Woman. If a boyfriend/husband/etc. tells a woman not to wear something, it's probably b/c it makes her look like a slut/hooker/street-walker/etc. If that's not the case, then the man's a controlling ****... That's what I've said the whole post.

"Listen, Woman."? :))
    Please keep telling me how it is, you all-knowing Man.
    It makes my lady bits all tingly.

LAWL ;)
  • Clameater
    Options
    Well I'll have to give in to your obvious expertise regarding what prostitutes wear, I personally don't spend much time around them.

ROFL... silly girl
  • Clameater
    Options
    But even if it does make her look like a hooker (in his opinion) it is still her choice whether to wear it or not.

I am ok with a man giving the opinion that the outfit looks like a hooker, I am not ok with him telling her she is not allowed to wear it.

This lady is smart.
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    I think we are done feeding you now.

It's ok Clameater. You'll learn how to be funny one day.
  • Naomi0504
    Naomi0504 Posts: 964 Member
    Options

LOL, girl :smile: :wink:
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,095 Member
    Options
    You are just posting stupid rubbish clam eater - I agree , let's stop feeding him and get back to an adult discussion.
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I dress for myself, and no one else.

I wouldn't be with someone who was controlling.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Ok, so without going into too much detail- my partner attempted to tell me I couldn't/shouldn't wear something because he was concerned I might get too much attention.

He got a total and utter verbal beat down. I'm a grown adult and I can dress myself, I'm not stupid and can make my own decisions about appropriate clothing.

It made me wonder though, is it ever ok for your partner to tell you what to wear? Has it happened to you?
    My SO has made a comment here and there. I still wear what I want. I didn't give him "a total verbal beat down" for it, though. I don't think that's necessary.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    Heck no! My SO is a bit more clever in that department, though. He works on positive reinforcement.
    I'll wear a dress or an outfit and he'll mention off-the-cuff "I love that colour" or "That dress looks great on you"... So I'll make a mental note to buy/wear more stuff in that colour/style because he likes it and so do I!

If we have something special lined up like a party etc, I will ask him what level of "fancy" we need to be (I am a jeans and teeshirt type of girl by default, and he lives in Hawaii so most of the time even that gets downgraded to "shorts and vest) before we go out.

I like him to find me attractive, but he's not so insecure that he would tell me not to wear something for fear of attracting attention from other men.

yes, i like this answer, and is how i lean too. :flowerforyou:
  • sarahertzberger
    sarahertzberger Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Yes, if my husband saw me in something that he felt was too revealing, I would have enough love and respect for him to change or at least somehow make the outfit cover up a bit more ex. tank top under shirt that's too low cut, I love my husband more than I love clothes, and I don't want to be attracting other people or giving them parts of my body to look at that would make them think thoughts about me they shouldn't and of course I know people can think thoughts about you no matter what you are wearing, but at least I'm not the one guilty of doing that. It's a total love and respect thing
  • SutapaMukherji
    SutapaMukherji Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    No. My boyfriend is really good at only giving his opinion when asked, when it comes to my appearance. I am grateful that he is honest too for when I do ask.

This. Only, mine is not my boyfriend, but my husband :bigsmile: :blushing: :blushing:
  • lebaker310
    lebaker310 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    If I let my boyfriend tell me what to wear, I'd be sporting turtlenecks and sweatpants everyday.
  • donthesitate
    donthesitate Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    It seems that boyfriends=husbands in this thread....hmmm:huh:
  • Stump_Likker
    Stump_Likker Posts: 2,059 Member
    Options
    If I ask. Otherwise mind your business. Maybe that's why I'm single? Lol
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    It seems that boyfriends=husbands in this thread....hmmm:huh:

Well the thread is titled "partner".... hmmmmm :huh:
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    No. He has never told me what to wear or not wear.. My situation is the other way around; He'll go into town dressed like a homeless bum, with hay all over his (shudder) black velour sweatpants, and wearing purple crocs. He doesn't care how he looks, only that he doesn't have to take the time and effort to change. If he had an Armani silk jacket, he'd wear it to change the hydraulic fluid on the tractor, then say, "Oh, the stains will come out in the washing machine".
  • Stump_Likker
    Stump_Likker Posts: 2,059 Member
    Options
    No. He has never told me what to wear or not wear.. My situation is the other way around; He'll go into town dressed like a homeless bum, with hay all over his (shudder) black velour sweatpants, and wearing purple crocs. He doesn't care how he looks, only that he doesn't have to take the time and effort to change. If he had an Armani silk jacket, he'd wear it to change the hydraulic fluid on the tractor, then say, "Oh, the stains will come out in the washing machine".

I just laughed out loud.