Ladies, I need your opinions on birth control!

Options
jackiecamarena
jackiecamarena Posts: 290 Member
Didn't know in what other category to post this, so I figure it might as well go here!

The only experience I have had with birth control (besides condoms) is the Depo-Provera shot. Was on it for a year and just wound up a crazy, moody, weight-gaining mess. I have now been off of it for about two years and I am ready to try something new. After doing my research, I learned about the mini pill. Only one type of hormone rather than two and from what it seems, less side effects. But the kicker is that it's only 95% effective.

Is anyone currently taking this?
What are you on that is working for you?

Replies

• LurveTheDoctor
    Options
    Birth control is HORRIBLE for your body. Your best bet is to track your cycles..

If you insist on having birth control I suggest getting an IUD. They say they don't give them to people w/o kids, but they really do. My friend has one.
  • Clameater
    Clameater Posts: 317
    Options
    The Pull Out has been shown to be over 99 percent effective
  • Amwhite1986
    Amwhite1986 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    When I was on BC I liked Seasonale. Only four periods a year with that one.
  • amyschintler
    Options
    Yeah, 99 % effective in pregnancy lol.
  • jackiecamarena
    Options
    When I was on BC I liked Seasonale. Only four periods a year with that one.

I was looking into that. Seems convenient. Any bad reactions to it?
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I'm using the nexaplanon implant. I am A. Not Preggers and B. Feel fine.

So there's that.
  • primal_cupcakes
    primal_cupcakes Posts: 280 Member
    Options

Lies. Pull out is approximately as effective as condom use when used correctly. 27% of women will get pregnant in one year from using the pull-out method incorrectly. Most men don't have enough self-control to do it right.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Birth control is HORRIBLE for your body. Your best bet is to track your cycles..

If you insist on having birth control I suggest getting an IUD. They say they don't give them to people w/o kids, but they really do. My friend has one.

False. Birth control can be a life saver for people with certain medical conditions. IUDs carry risks, too, and can't always properly treat some things that oral birth control does.

However, you'll get other people saying this to you, OP: BC is highly, HIGHLY specific to each person. Many people react differently to different birth control pills, because hormones are very "touchy" to each human being.

For instance, I was on Ortho-Tricyclen. Horrible. Now, I've been on Microgestin. No migraines, no ovarian cysts, no acne, regulated periods. Look it up, you'll find people who thought IT was horrible.

Depo is certainly a controversial BC for some pretty chronic negativity (though there's definitely people who swear by it). If it didn't work for you, talk with your gyno. They might suggest a low-dose pill, a progesterone only pill, etc. Unfortunately, if some form of birth control outside of condoms/abstinence/"properly done" coitus interruptus is necessary, you're just going to have to play around with it until you're happy.

BC is truly a case of "everybody's different™."
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

False. Birth control can be a life saver for people with certain medical conditions. IUDs carry risks, too, and can't always properly treat some things that oral birth control does.

However, you'll get other people saying this to you, OP: BC is highly, HIGHLY specific to each person. Many people react differently to different birth control pills, because hormones are very "touchy" to each human being.

For instance, I was on Ortho-Tricyclen. Horrible. Now, I've been on Microgestin. No migraines, no ovarian cysts, no acne, regulated periods. Look it up, you'll find people who thought IT was horrible.

Depo is certainly a controversial BC for some pretty chronic negativity (though there's definitely people who swear by it). If it didn't work for you, talk with your gyno. They might suggest a low-dose pill, a progesterone only pill, etc. Unfortunately, if some form of birth control outside of condoms/abstinence/"properly done" coitus interruptus is necessary, you're just going to have to play around with it until you're happy.

Ortho-Tricyclen tanked my sex drive which, I suppose, makes it very effective?
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Didn't know in what other category to post this, so I figure it might as well go here!

The only experience I have had with birth control (besides condoms) is the Depo-Provera shot. Was on it for a year and just wound up a crazy, moody, weight-gaining mess. I have now been off of it for about two years and I am ready to try something new. After doing my research, I learned about the mini pill. Only one type of hormone rather than two and from what it seems, less side effects. But the kicker is that it's only 95% effective.

I'm on cerazette, which is a progestogen (progesterone? I get them mixed up) only pill, or a 'mini' pill.

I personally love it.

For contraception, if you miss a progesterone(?) pill, you are safe again in a week. for the normal oestrogen/progesterone(?) pill if you forget the pill you are not safe until you have had your next period. This is due to how they work.

Progesterone (I'm just going to go with this name) works by stopping the lining in the womb from developing, so that should a little spermy meet a little eggy and make a littlle zygote poor little zygote cannot attach, and therefore cannot create a placenta, and therefore is flushed mercilessly down the kertuffelpuffe of life. The progesterone only pill means you don't have periods, because there's no blood accumulation. You still ovulate however.

The oestrogen/progesterone mix pill makes your body think you're pregnant so that you don't ripen another egg. you still build up uterus blood lining, and so it still has to be got rid of. The 'full' pill, this combination of hormones, involves 3 weeks of taking the hormone pill, and then 1 week of taking a placebo, during which time you get your period. If you forget a pill your body, waiting in anticipation. will go POP and produce an egg. Bang! So now you're fertile. Doesn't matter if you go back to taking that pill. The fertile egg inside you has now happened. It is waiting for its chance. It is desperate to live! Live! and if Mister Sperm shows up then eggy will be Very Pleased To See Him - whereas you May Not. :p

There are different kinds and qualities of both pills.

I personally am on a wonderful pill called "Cerazette" which is a mini pill. It is something like $40 for 6 months, not subsidised here in New Zealand, but I am on it because it has extra features, such as inhibiting egg ripening. It is a nice pill with no side effects. I actually am on it due to fibroids, (I'm older, have had children, probably approaching menopause) which make my periods turn into tsunamis complete with drowning and lifeboats. I hit a point where i couldn't leave the bathroom. The cerazette has literally saved my bacon.

Speak to your doctor about the pills and their consequences. Depo provera is a horrible, horrible contraceptive and it's hard to believe anyone would have recommended that to you as a first try.

And of course modern (plastic, not copper) IUD's now are impregnated with progesterone too, so they are very effective things. The only thing about those is that you have to check for the string now and again because they can fall out (probably more relevant to those who have had children) and apparently they like putting them in when you're having your period. EWWW GROSS! Not because they love splashing in feminine, um, egg cushions, but because it opens the cervix a little and makes it all go more easily.

Yes. Have a good good talk with the doc. Condoms are a pain in the *kitten*. Depo provera is the horriblest contraceptive on the planet. There are much better solutions. :)
  • jennpaulson
    jennpaulson Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    After my daughter was born almost 15 years ago I went on depo for 7 years, gained a ton of weight, not sure if it made me moody or if I finally just started speaking my mind ; ) Went off all birth control for a couple of years then tried the pill that doesn't have estrogen because of my migraines but that was a few years ago and I honestly can't tell you why I stopped taking it at the time. Now I've had the Mirena IUD since May and besides the irregular spotting (it's getting better) I haven't had any issues. My period is even lighter than it was before.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Ortho-Tricyclen tanked my sex drive which, I suppose, makes it very effective?

Same. We're on to them!
  • kimlynn919
    kimlynn919 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    i have found abstinence to work...but not necessarily by choice. I unfortunately haven't been able to get on bc for a while due to high blood pressure.
  • jackiecamarena
    Options

I'm on cerazette, which is a progestogen (progesterone? I get them mixed up) only pill, or a 'mini' pill.

I personally love it.

For contraception, if you miss a progesterone(?) pill, you are safe again in a week. for the normal oestrogen/progesterone(?) pill if you forget the pill you are not safe until you have had your next period. This is due to how they work.

Progesterone (I'm just going to go with this name) works by stopping the lining in the womb from developing, so that should a little spermy meet a little eggy and make a littlle zygote poor little zygote cannot attach, and therefore cannot create a placenta, and therefore is flushed mercilessly down the kertuffelpuffe of life. The progesterone only pill means you don't have periods, because there's no blood accumulation. You still ovulate however.

The oestrogen/progesterone mix pill makes your body think you're pregnant so that you don't ripen another egg. you still build up uterus blood lining, and so it still has to be got rid of. The 'full' pill, this combination of hormones, involves 3 weeks of taking the hormone pill, and then 1 week of taking a placebo, during which time you get your period. If you forget a pill your body, waiting in anticipation. will go POP and produce an egg. Bang! So now you're fertile. Doesn't matter if you go back to taking that pill. The fertile egg inside you has now happened. It is waiting for its chance. It is desperate to live! Live! and if Mister Sperm shows up then eggy will be Very Pleased To See Him - whereas you May Not. :p

There are different kinds and qualities of both pills.

I personally am on a wonderful pill called "Cerazette" which is a mini pill. It is something like $40 for 6 months, not subsidised here in New Zealand, but I am on it because it has extra features, such as inhibiting egg ripening. It is a nice pill with no side effects. I actually am on it due to fibroids, (I'm older, have had children, probably approaching menopause) which make my periods turn into tsunamis complete with drowning and lifeboats. I hit a point where i couldn't leave the bathroom. The cerazette has literally saved my bacon.

Speak to your doctor about the pills and their consequences. Depo provera is a horrible, horrible contraceptive and it's hard to believe anyone would have recommended that to you as a first try.

And of course modern (plastic, not copper) IUD's now are impregnated with progesterone too, so they are very effective things. The only thing about those is that you have to check for the string now and again because they can fall out (probably more relevant to those who have had children) and apparently they like putting them in when you're having your period. EWWW GROSS! Not because they love splashing in feminine, um, egg cushions, but because it opens the cervix a little and makes it all go more easily.

Yes. Have a good good talk with the doc. Condoms are a pain in the *kitten*. Depo provera is the horriblest contraceptive on the planet. There are much better solutions. :)

Thank you for such a thorough response! I am really interested in this "mini" pill, but the 95% thing is really throwing me. It seems to have the least horror stories out of everything I've researched, however.
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Frankie_Felinius Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    Ugh. Depo caused me weight gain and depression about ten years ago...also some hip arthritis and I was only in my early 20s!

I liked the implant...til I got raging daily headaches, but if you don't get that side effect, I'd recommend that.

The ring...what a pain in the *kitten* and fiancé hated it.

Now we use the sponge. It has it's cons...inconvenient (you either have to pre-plan action or stop when its getting hot-n-heavy and go put it in), kinda messy to remove, not cheap ($15 for 3!) and not the most effective thing in the world. But it has no hormones, which is why I like it best!
  • lovebig30
    lovebig30 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    i liked my iud except for the weigh gain. depo was ok untill i stopped taken it then had month long tom. obly time i took pills was high school and they made me nausous.
  • shedboy
    shedboy Posts: 25 Member
    Options

LOL :laugh:

HI 5
  • jackiecamarena
    Options
    i liked my iud except for the weigh gain. depo was ok untill i stopped taken it then had month long tom. obly time i took pills was high school and they made me nausous.

After I quit depo, I was bleeding non-stop for a whole year. Worst experience ever. The whole Depo experience really scared me away from birth control.
  • Naomi0504
    Naomi0504 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    In many cases, the mini pill (progestin only) is given to breastfeeding women. I stopped breastfeeding in March and I'm stil on it; however, my OB did say to use something else mid-cycle or I could get pregnant....you're right, it's not as effective as the other pills. I'm looking into other options.

If you miss a pill, you can start to ovulate as early as the next day. You are supposed to take it at the same time each day.

eta, I've had no weight gain or moodiness :smile:
  • jackiecamarena
    Options
    My OB did say to use something else mid-cycle or I could get pregnant....you're right, it's not as effective as the other pills. I'm looking into other options.

Yikes.