Ladies, I need your opinions on birth control!

Options

Replies

• Howdoyoufeeltoday
    Howdoyoufeeltoday Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I've been on Yasmin for 7 years and it does all it's supposed to. I was all over the place with my cycle (bleeding for a month and then stopping for 2 months) it was terrible. I didn't gain weight or get any of the side affects ppl complain about with yasmin so it just goes to show that everyone if different.
  • klhurd66
    klhurd66 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have managed an OB/GYN practice for 20+ years. The newest IUD on the market it the Skyla which is approved for use in women
    that have not had children. The Skyla lasts for 3 years and it is the "sister" of the Mirena which lasts 5 years. The ParaGard IUD is also available, has no hormones, and lasts 10 years. The device implanted in the arm is the Nexplanon. Kind of like the old Norplant but only 1 small device instead of 3. This is a progesterone secreting device so if you had bad luck with the DepoProvera this would not be a good choice. Because of the Affordable Care Act contraception is now covered by insurance at 100% with no deductible and no co-pay.
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I do Micronor now because Ortho Tricycline gave me massive headaches... glad to hear you're not on Depo anymore...I have a friend who's the same age as me (35) and has been diagnosed with breast cancer...she was on Depo for 9 yrs because her dr never told her you should only be on it for a couple years tops and now all of her doctors are saying the Depo caused her cancer...

Good luck and I hope you find the answer you are looking for! :flowerforyou:
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people do want kids, or more kids, but if you're really really sure you don't want kids (or more kids) vasectomies are not that expensive. My fiancé got one last year and it was around $1,300 total. Seriously took 15 minutes, outpatient procedure with minimal pain/swelling.

If you don't want kids/more kids, and are 100% sure, sweet-talk your guy into this! ;-) It's awesome.

(oh and FTR I got pregnant on Depo Provera, it happens a lot more than you may imagine according to the docs I spoke to)
  • Kalee34
    Kalee34 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I got pregnant twice while on the mini pill.
    Didn't work so well for me.
  • mrslcoop
    mrslcoop Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I HATE BC. Hate, hate, hate. I quit that garbage a year ago and am so glad it’s finally out of my system and things are working as normal again. I’m me again. I forgot what it was like to be me off of Yasmin and I couldn’t be happier. I prefer to use NFP by tracking my cycle (using basal body temp amongst other things) and I’ve not gotten knocked up yet. However, the hubby and I are at that point that if it did happen we’d both be very happy and I’m ok with taking the risk.
  • zevodactyl
    Options
    The effectiveness of any contraceptive method, especially the pill, depends greatly on how well you use it.

You need to take it at the same time every day for it to be most effective, the levels of the hormones you're adding to your body need to stay at a relative constant - if you're off by even two hours you could mess up how well it works for a couple weeks.

A doctor should be able to provide you with information and discuss which option would be best for you.
  • mrslcoop
    mrslcoop Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I've been on Yasmin for 7 years and it does all it's supposed to. I was all over the place with my cycle (bleeding for a month and then stopping for 2 months) it was terrible. I didn't gain weight or get any of the side affects ppl complain about with yasmin so it just goes to show that everyone if different.

The weight gain comes after you quit. Yasmin has some diuretic qualities and a lot of women actually lose weight while on it (I did until my eating caught up with me). After I quit I bloated up like an overstuffed sausage. 10 lbs in a couple months! It’s been slowly coming off and I can tell because my stomach doesn’t look as much like a water bed any more. Quitting Yasmin was a nightmare for me. It sounds like it’s something you really need, but for the average women just trying to not get pregnant I’m not sure I’d recommend it after being on it for almost 10 years. The combo of weight gain, horrible acne (it’s like I’m 15 all over again), and the hair loss… oh the hair loss… I just can’t stand behind it.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    Take two aspirin and hold them firmly between your knees. Also, I got 2 kids out of the rhythm method. So there's that. I know someone who has the Implanon 3-year arm implant and hasn't had any problems with it at all. She's had it for 2 years now. Has only had one period in that whole time.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Every woman reacts differently to birth control. Different pills will have different effects on you.

I was on the pill a long time with no problems, but for the last two years on it, my periods were wacky (lasting two weeks at a time, random spotting) so I went on Mirena, which caused weight gain and I am a year off of it and still having trouble losing. Other women have no issues at all with it.

Your best bet is discuss it with your doctor, try it if the two of you conclude you should and see what happens. There isn't much else you can do. A hundred women can tell you their own experience and yours might be completely different.

I think the main issue with the mini pill's effectiveness is it's more sensitive than othr pills. You HAVE TO take it at the same time every day and it's a huge deal to skip a day. Other pills are stronger and so there's more room for error.
  • Mustgetbuff
    Mustgetbuff Posts: 267 Member
    Options

The weight gain comes after you quit. Yasmin has some diuretic qualities and a lot of women actually lose weight while on it (I did until my eating caught up with me). After I quit I bloated up like an overstuffed sausage. 10 lbs in a couple months! It’s been slowly coming off and I can tell because my stomach doesn’t look as much like a water bed any more. Quitting Yasmin was a nightmare for me. It sounds like it’s something you really need, but for the average women just trying to not get pregnant I’m not sure I’d recommend it after being on it for almost 10 years. The combo of weight gain, horrible acne (it’s like I’m 15 all over again), and the hair loss… oh the hair loss… I just can’t stand behind it.

I was on Yasmin for years until my new doctor told me to get off of it. It's recently been revealed that many young, healthy women have been developing fatal blood clots due to this medication. It worked really well for me but I'd rather not take the risk, so I'm on Alesse now which contains lower doses of estrogen and consequently leads to less weight gain,blood clots, etc.
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Birth control is HORRIBLE for your body. Your best bet is to track your cycles..

If you insist on having birth control I suggest getting an IUD. They say they don't give them to people w/o kids, but they really do. My friend has one.

False. Birth control can be a life saver for people with certain medical conditions. IUDs carry risks, too, and can't always properly treat some things that oral birth control does.

However, you'll get other people saying this to you, OP: BC is highly, HIGHLY specific to each person. Many people react differently to different birth control pills, because hormones are very "touchy" to each human being.

For instance, I was on Ortho-Tricyclen. Horrible. Now, I've been on Microgestin. No migraines, no ovarian cysts, no acne, regulated periods. Look it up, you'll find people who thought IT was horrible.

Depo is certainly a controversial BC for some pretty chronic negativity (though there's definitely people who swear by it). If it didn't work for you, talk with your gyno. They might suggest a low-dose pill, a progesterone only pill, etc. Unfortunately, if some form of birth control outside of condoms/abstinence/"properly done" coitus interruptus is necessary, you're just going to have to play around with it until you're happy.

BC is truly a case of "everybody's different™."

I definitely agree about the different for every woman!! I was actually the opposite from you, Ortho-Tricyclen was by far the best one I was on. I had horrible reactions to anything androgen based. I have PCOS though, so I shouldn't be on an androgen based one anyway. Two of my friends love loestrin but I had really bad experiences with it.

It might take some time to find one that works for you!
  • marykate723
    marykate723 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I have been on ortho-tricylcen (the generic version, which is called Trinessa), for almost 8 years. I've never had any problems with it. In fact, within 3 months of starting it, my acne disappeared, my menstrual cramps completely stopped, and my period no longer lasted 2 weeks at a time. I did switch to a lower-hormone pill for about 6 months (about two years ago), and had some horrible mood swings and bad PMS symptoms during that time. Switched back to Trinessa, and all was well. The low-hormone thing was an experiment because I was convinced that the birth control had caused weight gain (and the ice cream, beer, and Doritos had nothing to do with it, of course). Turns out I was better off on it!

As you'll see from these previous posts, it's HIGHLY specific to you. I know at least one person on every type of BC method, and they all work for them. I do know several people who have switched around and tried different methods, but they've all found one that works- and that includes NFP. Talk to your OB/GYN. You may need to try one for a few months and then switch if it's not working out for you, but there's a method that will work for you.

Good luck!
  • rml_16
    Options
    If you insist on having birth control I suggest getting an IUD. They say they don't give them to people w/o kids, but they really do. My friend has one.

Not even an option for women with heavier periods. Did you know that?
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I had the mirena in after my youngest was born and I LOVED it. Had a lot of random spotting at first but after less than six months, I had no period at all for 2 years. Had it taken out because I talked my hubby into wanting another kid and then I ended up talking myself out of that so now I'll be starting back up with orthtricyclen-lo mainly because I want to see if it will help my acne clear up(I don't have a lot, but I NEVER had acne as a kid and having it now is pissing me off lol). Good luck with whatever you choose to use :)

Also, I had the patch, had REALLY bad unexplained stomach pains, stopped using it for the skin irritant issues, never had the stomach pains again :/
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    All birth control causes me to wake up all night long throwing up.
  • melindafritz1976
    melindafritz1976 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    you know that will make you gain weight right
  • melindafritz1976
    melindafritz1976 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    use condoms
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Please read this: http://www.vega-licious.com/dangers-of-birth-control-medications-part-6-how-to-reclaim-your-health-after-birth-control/

Chemical forms of birth control have far more side effects than they would like us to believe (they are making trillions of dollars on it, after all). Be informed. Do your own research and make an informed decision.

btw... depo provera has extreme long terms effects on your health and hormones.

A couple awesome books: Taking Charge of your Fertility by Toni Weschler, Balance Your Hormones, Balance Your Life by Claudia Welch <----this one is a real eye opener for women of ALL ages!! Balance them before we get old and we'll be better off!

Good Luck! :flowerforyou:
  • rml_16
    Options
    Please read this: http://www.vega-licious.com/dangers-of-birth-control-medications-part-6-how-to-reclaim-your-health-after-birth-control/

Chemical forms of birth control have far more side effects than they would like us to believe (they are making trillions of dollars on it, after all). Be informed. Do your own research and make an informed decision.

btw... depo provera has extreme long terms effects on your health and hormones.

A couple awesome books: Taking Charge of your Fertility by Toni Weschler, Balance Your Hormones, Balance Your Life by Claudia Welch <----this one is a real eye opener for women of ALL ages!! Balance them before we get old and we'll be better off!

Good Luck! :flowerforyou:
    Birth control had an extremely positive effect on my quality of life. I would take it again in a heartbeat if I had to.

But thank you for your concern.