Ladies, I need your opinions on birth control!

Options

Replies

• Naomi0504
    Naomi0504 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    The Pull Out has been shown to be over 99 percent effective

Also known as pull and pray....don't trust it :wink:
  • Naomi0504
    Naomi0504 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    My OB did say to use something else mid-cycle or I could get pregnant....you're right, it's not as effective as the other pills. I'm looking into other options.

Yikes.

Exactly. Lol. She said You're on the mini pill so you're still bf'ing, right? I said No, I stopped in March. She said You could get pregnant, use condoms mid-cycle :-/
  • jackiecamarena
    jackiecamarena Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Ugh. Depo caused me weight gain and depression about ten years ago...also some hip arthritis and I was only in my early 20s!

I liked the implant...til I got raging daily headaches, but if you don't get that side effect, I'd recommend that.

The ring...what a pain in the *kitten* and fiancé hated it.

Now we use the sponge. It has it's cons...inconvenient (you either have to pre-plan action or stop when its getting hot-n-heavy and go put it in), kinda messy to remove, not cheap ($15 for 3!) and not the most effective thing in the world. But it has no hormones, which is why I like it best!

How much did the implant cost you?
  • Artaxia
    Artaxia Posts: 185
    Options
    Hello. The mini pill made me crazy and I had break through bleeding. The regular birth control I used was Loestrin24 FE, Yaz and orthotricyclen. Those made me gain a lot of weight and I was crazy. I did not have break through bleeding. I will not use an IUD.

I do not use hormonal birth control now, only condoms! I don't need anything else causing my weight gain or mood swings!

Good luck on your journey of what's best for you!
  • lyssad86
    Options
    My sex drive was lowered so dramatically by birth control, though I didn't have any trouble losing weight while on it (I didn't gain because of birth control, either--that was all me, lol). It also altered my mood/emotions pretty dramatically.

I will say this--after I went off birth control and started using condoms exclusively, I have never been happier. I wish I had done it from the beginning. Just be careful, and do know when you are most likely to get pregnant. everyone saying "track your cycles" has also got the right idea.

If you MUST use the pill, you can go for a lower dosage of hormones. Just be aware, however, that the mini-pill is slightly more likely to fail. I have had friends get pregnant while nursing on the mini-pill. The "real deal" is more effective.

Seasonale is quite a strong dosage. It will likely do some fairly dramatic things to your body chemistry. While I think not having periods as frequently must be nice, there is something to be said about that "Whew!" moment every month!
  • shali34
    Options
    Here is my two cents: I've tried regular pills but they effective me too much. So..

I've been on ortho-tri lo on and off since I was in college (now 28). There is another brand called lo-lo estrogen that I was considering, but I just stuck with what I was use to. Lo-lo estrogen is a pill with one of the lowest doses of hormones in a bc pill.

Hope this helps!
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    Birth control is HORRIBLE for your body. Your best bet is to track your cycles..

If you insist on having birth control I suggest getting an IUD. They say they don't give them to people w/o kids, but they really do. My friend has one.

this is horrible advice and completely untrue. seriously, shame on you. tracking your cycles is NOT an effective form of pregnancy prevention. "insist on having birth control"... wow. just wow.

OP, look into IUDs or there is an implant that actually goes in your arm. it is more popular in the UK and not always covered by insurance in the states but after my mirena comes out I just may go for that.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    SNIP!
  • RebekahR84
    RebekahR84 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I've used almost every kind except the shot. I've used Lybrel, which makes you skip your period completely. I stopped it because my insurance decided not to cover it anymore. I've used regular Ortho and Ortho-low. I preferred the low, because I was less mood-swingy with it, but another insurance change nipped THAT in the bud. I've used Nuva-ring, which was great for about a year. Suddenly, it just started feeling uncomfortable. So now I'm on regular Ortho again.

The husband and I are giong to start trying for kids soon, so I'm worried about getting off the pill. I have the kind of cramps that make me curl up into a fetal position. Not looking forward to that.
  • Italia2229
    Italia2229 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have used Ortho and didn't have any problems with that, but I had to stop having periods because when I started having, I would have horrible cramping and could hardly get out of bed. Started on Depo a couple years after I joined the military and it was great except for a little bit of weight gain. I am using Yaz as of right now, only for my deployment (can't be on this one for a long time and I think my sex drives sucks right now on this one), but I am still not allowing myself to have my cycle and I have lost 20lbs in the last 4 months, not only because of BC changes, but I am sure it helped. The ring absolutely was horrible for me because it wouldn't stay in. Am looking at other types for when I return to the states in a couple of weeks.

Best of luck on finding the right one that works for you.
  • SilentMelody
    SilentMelody Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I've only ever taken pills and no real problems with it. No crazy side affects or anything but it does really depend on the person. I was using some crazy i don't even know pills at first and my second doctor was like "oh well if you can take those no problem you can take anything" so that may just be me. But I had ortho tricyclen (the generic version as well) for many years with no issues, aside from a slight decrease in sex drive but it happens with most pills. My sister got an IUD when she was in the military and she loves it. Didn't have any side affects either.

Your best bet is just to discuss it with your doctor, try something out. If you think it's affecting you in a way it shouldn't be then go back, talk to your doctor again and get something different.
  • lebaker310
    lebaker310 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I've been on the Nuvaring for two years and I love it. Never have a problem with it. No side effects and changing monthly makes me feel better than having an iUD that pierces your cervix and stays in there for years. I can't even feel it. If it comes out during sex or you need to take it out, you have 3 hours. It's kinda expensive if you don't have insurance, but it's free for me now.
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    Didn't know in what other category to post this, so I figure it might as well go here!

The only experience I have had with birth control (besides condoms) is the Depo-Provera shot. Was on it for a year and just wound up a crazy, moody, weight-gaining mess. I have now been off of it for about two years and I am ready to try something new. After doing my research, I learned about the mini pill. Only one type of hormone rather than two and from what it seems, less side effects. But the kicker is that it's only 95% effective.

Is anyone currently taking this?
    What are you on that is working for you?

I'm on cerazette, which is a progestogen (progesterone? I get them mixed up) only pill, or a 'mini' pill.

I personally love it.

For contraception, if you miss a progesterone(?) pill, you are safe again in a week. for the normal oestrogen/progesterone(?) pill if you forget the pill you are not safe until you have had your next period. This is due to how they work.

Progesterone (I'm just going to go with this name) works by stopping the lining in the womb from developing, so that should a little spermy meet a little eggy and make a littlle zygote poor little zygote cannot attach, and therefore cannot create a placenta, and therefore is flushed mercilessly down the kertuffelpuffe of life. The progesterone only pill means you don't have periods, because there's no blood accumulation. You still ovulate however.

The oestrogen/progesterone mix pill makes your body think you're pregnant so that you don't ripen another egg. you still build up uterus blood lining, and so it still has to be got rid of. The 'full' pill, this combination of hormones, involves 3 weeks of taking the hormone pill, and then 1 week of taking a placebo, during which time you get your period. If you forget a pill your body, waiting in anticipation. will go POP and produce an egg. Bang! So now you're fertile. Doesn't matter if you go back to taking that pill. The fertile egg inside you has now happened. It is waiting for its chance. It is desperate to live! Live! and if Mister Sperm shows up then eggy will be Very Pleased To See Him - whereas you May Not. :p

There are different kinds and qualities of both pills.

I personally am on a wonderful pill called "Cerazette" which is a mini pill. It is something like $40 for 6 months, not subsidised here in New Zealand, but I am on it because it has extra features, such as inhibiting egg ripening. It is a nice pill with no side effects. I actually am on it due to fibroids, (I'm older, have had children, probably approaching menopause) which make my periods turn into tsunamis complete with drowning and lifeboats. I hit a point where i couldn't leave the bathroom. The cerazette has literally saved my bacon.

Speak to your doctor about the pills and their consequences. Depo provera is a horrible, horrible contraceptive and it's hard to believe anyone would have recommended that to you as a first try.

And of course modern (plastic, not copper) IUD's now are impregnated with progesterone too, so they are very effective things. The only thing about those is that you have to check for the string now and again because they can fall out (probably more relevant to those who have had children) and apparently they like putting them in when you're having your period. EWWW GROSS! Not because they love splashing in feminine, um, egg cushions, but because it opens the cervix a little and makes it all go more easily.

Yes. Have a good good talk with the doc. Condoms are a pain in the *kitten*. Depo provera is the horriblest contraceptive on the planet. There are much better solutions. :)

Thank you for such a thorough response! I am really interested in this "mini" pill, but the 95% thing is really throwing me. It seems to have the least horror stories out of everything I've researched, however.

remember also that the statistic is for completely proper use of the pill. this also includes taking it at the same time EVERY DAY. the 95% is if you never miss a pill and take them within a two or maybe three hour window without fail. if you do not take the pill perfectly (per the dosage instructions) the success rate goes down.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I'm using a low dose (I think actually the lowest dose you can get), but I forget the name. Starts with an L. I really like it. I don't have the problems that I had with other pills and the ring. I considered an IUD though. That seems like the best option other than getting all tied up.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Birth control is HORRIBLE for your body. Your best bet is to track your cycles..

If you insist on having birth control I suggest getting an IUD. They say they don't give them to people w/o kids, but they really do. My friend has one.

this is horrible advice and completely untrue. seriously, shame on you. tracking your cycles is NOT an effective form of pregnancy prevention. "insist on having birth control"... wow. just wow.

OP, look into IUDs or there is an implant that actually goes in your arm. it is more popular in the UK and not always covered by insurance in the states but after my mirena comes out I just may go for that.

Like I said, I have the implant and I'm a fan. There was an adjustment period (I was briefly insane, but I was having a rough patch in general) but after about a month everything was smooth sailing.
  • jackiecamarena
    Options
    My sex drive was lowered so dramatically by birth control, though I didn't have any trouble losing weight while on it (I didn't gain because of birth control, either--that was all me, lol). It also altered my mood/emotions pretty dramatically.

I will say this--after I went off birth control and started using condoms exclusively, I have never been happier. I wish I had done it from the beginning. Just be careful, and do know when you are most likely to get pregnant. everyone saying "track your cycles" has also got the right idea.

If you MUST use the pill, you can go for a lower dosage of hormones. Just be aware, however, that the mini-pill is slightly more likely to fail. I have had friends get pregnant while nursing on the mini-pill. The "real deal" is more effective.

Seasonale is quite a strong dosage. It will likely do some fairly dramatic things to your body chemistry. While I think not having periods as frequently must be nice, there is something to be said about that "Whew!" moment every month!

I have been pretty happy with condoms, but like they say, it's just not the same.
  • schonkreuz
    schonkreuz Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I have a mirena and LOVE it. No periods after 6 months and my husband doesn't feel a thing lol (if they do your strings are too long and they need to fix that!).
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options

I was one of the minority where my IUD wandered off somewhere on it's own. Went with my mate when she had her implant both fitted & removed (she's a wimp bless her). Totally straight forward to insert/remove it. Word of warning some women you can see the outline under the skin, but it's not obvious unless you look for it. Side note when she decided to get pregnant it only took 2mths after removal for her.
  • jackiecamarena
    Options

Like I said, I have the implant and I'm a fan. There was an adjustment period (I was briefly insane, but I was having a rough patch in general) but after about a month everything was smooth sailing.

The crazy period is what scares me most (other than my sex drive being shot down). Depo made me BAD *kitten* CRAZY.
  • jackiecamarena
    Options

I was one of the minority where my IUD wandered off somewhere on it's own. Went with my mate when she had her implant both fitted & removed (she's a wimp bless her). Totally straight forward to insert/remove it. Word of warning some women you can see the outline under the skin, but it's not obvious unless you look for it. Side note when she decided to get pregnant it only took 2mths after removal for her.

About how much do these cost?