Ladies, I need your opinions on birth control!

Options

Replies

• TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    Birth control is HORRIBLE for your body. Your best bet is to track your cycles..

If you insist on having birth control I suggest getting an IUD. They say they don't give them to people w/o kids, but they really do. My friend has one.

this is horrible advice and completely untrue. seriously, shame on you. tracking your cycles is NOT an effective form of pregnancy prevention. "insist on having birth control"... wow. just wow.

OP, look into IUDs or there is an implant that actually goes in your arm. it is more popular in the UK and not always covered by insurance in the states but after my mirena comes out I just may go for that.

I was one of the minority where my IUD wandered off somewhere on it's own. Went with my mate when she had her implant both fitted & removed (she's a wimp bless her). Totally straight forward to insert/remove it. Word of warning some women you can see the outline under the skin, but it's not obvious unless you look for it. Side note when she decided to get pregnant it only took 2mths after removal for her.

it was really painful for me to have it inserted but since then it's been great. I have a high pain tolerance but I was still very glad I had it put in on a Friday after work. I was in the fetal position that whole weekend. since then it's been amazing, I barely even PMS anymore.

eta: OP, these are covered by most insurance nowadays. I just had to pay my copay for the office visit.
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Frankie_Felinius Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    Ugh. Depo caused me weight gain and depression about ten years ago...also some hip arthritis and I was only in my early 20s!

I liked the implant...til I got raging daily headaches, but if you don't get that side effect, I'd recommend that.

The ring...what a pain in the *kitten* and fiancé hated it.

Now we use the sponge. It has it's cons...inconvenient (you either have to pre-plan action or stop when its getting hot-n-heavy and go put it in), kinda messy to remove, not cheap ($15 for 3!) and not the most effective thing in the world. But it has no hormones, which is why I like it best!

How much did the implant cost you?

It was the arm implant, not the uterine, fyi, and I'm terribley sorry, but I don't recall...It was right after I had my baby 3 1/2 years ago...
  • VictoryGarden
    VictoryGarden Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I've used almost every kind except the shot. I've used Lybrel, which makes you skip your period completely. I stopped it because my insurance decided not to cover it anymore. I've used regular Ortho and Ortho-low. I preferred the low, because I was less mood-swingy with it, but another insurance change nipped THAT in the bud. I've used Nuva-ring, which was great for about a year. Suddenly, it just started feeling uncomfortable. So now I'm on regular Ortho again.

The husband and I are giong to start trying for kids soon, so I'm worried about getting off the pill. I have the kind of cramps that make me curl up into a fetal position. Not looking forward to that.

Well, you'll be pleased to find out that most women stop having menstrual cramps once they give birth. :) Also, the first time we went off the pill it took 4 months to get pregnant. The second time took 2 weeks. :huh: But of course everyone's different in that category as well.
  • Nimnyn
    Nimnyn Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Honestly, while asking here might be good for getting some options, talk to your doctor about the best option for *you*. Every type of BC carries some kind of risk, as does getting pregnant, but the only person who can give you GOOD advice about what would potentially suit your body best is a medical professional.

(what was best for me was getting my tubes tied, likely not a great choice for you :wink: )
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Birth control is HORRIBLE for your body. Your best bet is to track your cycles..

If you insist on having birth control I suggest getting an IUD. They say they don't give them to people w/o kids, but they really do. My friend has one.

this is horrible advice and completely untrue. seriously, shame on you. tracking your cycles is NOT an effective form of pregnancy prevention. "insist on having birth control"... wow. just wow.

OP, look into IUDs or there is an implant that actually goes in your arm. it is more popular in the UK and not always covered by insurance in the states but after my mirena comes out I just may go for that.

Like I said, I have the implant and I'm a fan. There was an adjustment period (I was briefly insane, but I was having a rough patch in general) but after about a month everything was smooth sailing.

The crazy period is what scares me most (other than my sex drive being shot down). Depo made me BAD *kitten* CRAZY.

It is different for everyone so you might be fine. My sex drive is very much intact, so there is that.
  • jackiecamarena
    jackiecamarena Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Honestly, while asking here might be good for getting some options, talk to your doctor about the best option for *you*. Every type of BC carries some kind of risk, as does getting pregnant, but the only person who can give you GOOD advice about what would potentially suit your body best is a medical professional.

(what was best for me was getting my tubes tied, likely not a great choice for you :wink: )

Well, of course I am not going to base my decisions based solely on the opinions of the people of the internet.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options

I was one of the minority where my IUD wandered off somewhere on it's own. Went with my mate when she had her implant both fitted & removed (she's a wimp bless her). Totally straight forward to insert/remove it. Word of warning some women you can see the outline under the skin, but it's not obvious unless you look for it. Side note when she decided to get pregnant it only took 2mths after removal for her.

About how much do these cost?

Sorry, I'm in the UK so it's NHS covered. My IUD would have lasted 5yrs & my friend's arm implant lasted for 3yrs so I suppose it's weighing up the intial costs. They also do a 10yr IUD but my Dr recommends that for when people have decided not to extend their families, but it still leaves the option.
  • HeyGoRun
    HeyGoRun Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    The Pull Out has been shown to be over 99 percent effective

Lies. Pull out is approximately as effective as condom use when used correctly. 27% of women will get pregnant in one year from using the pull-out method incorrectly. Most men don't have enough self-control to do it right.
    This works for us! Baby free for 4 years and that was cuz of condom breaking! :-/
    My man knows how tough kids are so self control 100%
  • SilverLotusGirl
    SilverLotusGirl Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I have a mirena and I love it. So far it is working like a dream and I'm on my second one.

What I suggest you do is go to a website like Planned Parenthood or your local health department's website and research all the different birth control methods and options and the pros and cons of each one and then talk to your doctor who handles your birth control for you about what they think.

Just because one method works well for one lady doesn't mean it will for you.
  • kaylacollinscna
    kaylacollinscna Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I'm considering Implanon (the arm one) and my insurance is covering most of the cost, I just have to pay the insertion fee (about $120 I think). I'm going to have to call my recruiter and make sure that this particular form of birth control is okay in the military as it is just below the skin and the military is picky. :p
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I'm considering Implanon (the arm one) and my insurance is covering most of the cost, I just have to pay the insertion fee (about $120 I think). I'm going to have to call my recruiter and make sure that this particular form of birth control is okay in the military as it is just below the skin and the military is picky. :p

I got mine from the military (So it was free. Unsure of the actual cost); it's for sure approved. The Military is basically on-board with any method you choose to not get preggo, trust me.
  • belgd
    belgd Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Yeah, 99 % effective in pregnancy lol.

lol
  • belgd
    belgd Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Birth control lowered my sex drive like crazy. Of course I'm not going to get pregnant if I don't even desire sex! lol but that's the only negative part I experienced. I would have stayed on it if it weren't for that. I would try it out though because it's the simplest thing imo. I always knew when to expect my period. Also it's really easy to take and you don't have to have anything inserted into your body 0.o It's as easy as setting an alarm on your phone.
  • LurveTheDoctor
    Options

Do some research on what hormonal birth control does for your cycles and body. After having tried several different types of birth control, and researched the rest I'm personally against taking it for myself. Way to much wrong with it.
  • NoortjeGrolsch
    NoortjeGrolsch Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Maybe this works different in America than in Europe, but I don't think you are supposed to prescribe yourself, you should go to the gynaeocologist and they'll take blood samples, ask some questions and determine which are the best options for you.

They'll give you scientifically proven facts about the several options you have (both pros and cons) and you can decide based on that.

I've taken ethinylestradiol/drospirenon 0,03/3mg. for years but only a doctor can tell if this would work for you too.
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Options
    I know there is a lot of research and studies on birth control that goes both ways, some good, some bad. I PERSONALLY have had bad luck with hormonal birth control and prefer barrier method (the sponge). That being said, barrier method tends to be quite a bit less effective and shouldn't be considered if pregnancy is completely off the table...
  • RebekahR84
    RebekahR84 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I know there is a lot of research and studies on birth control that goes both ways, some good, some bad. I PERSONALLY have had bad luck with hormonal birth control and prefer barrier method (the sponge). That being said, barrier method tends to be quite a bit less effective and shouldn't be considered if pregnancy is completely off the table...

Have you found someone who is... "sponge-worthy?"
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Options

Have you found someone who is... "sponge-worthy?"

LOL, Elaine, you funny girl. I guess....my fiancé whom I've been with for 15 years. Luckily after that many years and major insecurity over being fat, we rarely have sex...that makes the sponge affordable. Now if I was all in shape and hot-n-bothered in a new relationship...he would have to be REALLY "sponge-worthy" to justify the price of doin' it constantly!
  • just_jess7
    just_jess7 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I'm on Levora, a very low-hormone pill (levonorgestrel/ethinyl estradiol 0.15/0.03mg) and it works really well for me. I actually function better on a hormone BC because I have a hormonal imbalance and they even me out (re: they make me not crazy). I have been on it for almost 2 years and haven't had any complications stemming from it that I'm aware of - it definitely hasn't impacted my weight, that's all on me, and my sex drive is a-ok. I am actually quite nervous for when the BF and I decide to try for kids, because any time I've gone off the pill I've kind of turned into a psychotic wreck. I'm hoping that losing weight and getting healthy will help with that.

But I do agree with what others are saying - advice is great, but research involving you and your Dr. is the best. But then you probably already know that :-)
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    No way I'm ruining my body with chemicals and hormones! Why do I have to struggle and going against nature so a man would enjoy it better? Hell no!

It's either a condom or no sex for him at all.