I'm kind of appalled...

Options

Replies

• ChristinaOrtiz23
    ChristinaOrtiz23 Posts: 1,546 Member
    Options
    Stop worrying about what people do with THEIR kids. I hate when people shove their unwanted noses in other people's business. If a kid wants to have a purple drink, let them. -.-

you obviously dont have kids smh

i keep imagining that your mirror is really short. :glasses:

or..... im really tall hhhhmmmmm
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    Oh, excuse me. The OP just opened the kid's lunch and then proceeded to gossip with the lunch ladies about it. You think the kid didn't notice?

The child was no where near when I asked the teacher later if that was normal. I seriously think you're delving into your own personal issues here and imagining a scenario that didn't happen.

You asked the teacher if this child's lunch is "normal"? Who the hell are you to ask a teacher about another child? If I was this poor child's mother you and i would have serious issues. Who are you to judge another parent or to discuss it with the teacher? I am appalled by YOUR actions. Disgusting.

Good for you :)

sigh, was gonna add to this but now just too tired, I came to late into this thread, so much to say but missed it by a hair
  • smrising
    smrising Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Stop worrying about what people do with THEIR kids. I hate when people shove their unwanted noses in other people's business. If a kid wants to have a purple drink, let them. -.-

What if the kid wanted purple drank instead?

url-81.jpeg

haaaaaaaaaaahaha :)
  • iamanadult
    iamanadult Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    JusttwokittenssnugglingandyawningNotabigdeal-87297.gif
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I know it's no excuse for that kind of lunch to be in a 5 year old's bag but maybe she's a very picky eater and the parents decided that instead of subjecting the entire cafeteria to screaming and hissy fits over a real lunch they'd just give her what she wants at school and make her eat healthy at breakfast & dinner where they're the only ones that have to deal with it.

This is not to say I advocate the force-feeding of little ones, but the idea of allowing them to choose what they will and will not eat seems a little ridiculous to me. When I was five, my "choice" would have been a chocolate bar every single time! Thank goodness my Mom made me eat real food, whether I liked it or not.

Back in my day, picky eaters weren't rewarded with candy lunches and applause for trying their best, they sat at the table until they ate every last morsel of (now cold) food that was put in front of them. Or, they went to bed hungry -- entirely their choice. Give it a try sometime... If they get hungry enough, they'll eat those peas. Guaranteed.

We didn't throw hissy fits back in my day, either... Kids used to be afraid of pissing their parents off.

Yup - infact my husband and I just took an extracurricular activity one night away from our almost 6 year old. Why, becasue I said if you don't eat supper, you won't go. I try to serve my kids food they like - but she was trying to "be the boss". So, as she cried we told her she wouldn't be going. We also told her, when she was hungry, supper would be there waiting. And if she didn't eat it, guess what breakfast was and so on.... She ended up finishing supper right before bed and then last night (when her activity was) she gobbled up supper.
    People have serious rose-colored glasses when talking about their own childhoods.

Yep. I think people are seriously misremembering how unpleasant forcing a child to eat something s/he has an aversion to genuinely is. My brother was a seriously picky eater, my dad hated it, and every night was a battle. Screaming, tears, generally a horrible experience.And guess what? While my brother isn't as picky as an adult as he was at age 7, he still has a lot of food aversions. So it's not like the fights turned him into some amazingly adventurous eater.

You can call me a rhymes-with-wussy all you want, I'd still rather give my kid a freaking bowl of cereal for dinner than replicate that at my own dinner table as an adult.

My mom used to tell me "You eat what I make or you don't eat" So I would go to bed hungry. We did this for a few months and, eventually, she realized there has never been a child as stubborn as me and I will starve before I eat stuff I don't want to eat.

Seriously, who the hell eats food they don't like? Do all of these adults go around choking down food they think is nasty just because? ...Wait, forgot where I was.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    This thread reminds me that my parents always tried to pack lunch, and make it reasonably healthy. Now I'm trying to picutre all of the fighting, cursing, and breaking of dishes that went on about the contents of my lunch sack...Not to mention the brown bag and is it safe for the environment.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I went fishing for crazy today.

And were successful! WOW!
  • Achrya
    Options
    This thread reminds me that my parents always tried to pack lunch, and make it reasonably healthy. Now I'm trying to picutre all of the fighting, cursing, and breaking of dishes that went on about the contents of my lunch sack...Not to mention the brown bag and is it safe for the environment.

Was it organic and GMO free? If no, then you're parents are heathens and that meal a day proves they were awful parents.

I'm appalled.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    If that's her lunch imagine her dinner... and her breakfast.

My niece goes to school with a little girl that is always starving and asking the other kids if she can share their lunches. Some of the parents got together and talked to the Teacher and the principle about this and neither had any idea there was an issue - turns out the parents didn't pack her lunch ever. She is 8.

She now has a lunch provided by the school, but had some of these parents not been concerned it would have went unnoticed.

I think asking a teacher if that is the norm is fine, its not like you were all "OMG did you see her lunch I think her parents are neglecting her" You simply asked if it was normal, perhaps the teacher can monitor and make sure she is getting good nutrition, because improper nutrition believe it or not does affect the learning ability for her but also can cause disruption in class.

So those that are all uppity about her judging the parents STFU.

I don't know that you can make that leap to a conclusion. My aforementioned daily lunch of butter and jelly sandwiches was almost always followed by a hearty home-cooked meal of piles of fresh-from-the-garden veggies and locally-sourced meat (before either was popular).

(Dammit, MFP...stop trying to make me feel like my idyllic childhood with awesome parents was all a lie and instead that I was apparently abused and unloved!)
  • RachiiBBee
    Options
    Every has their own way of parenting. It doesn't matter what you do someone is there to tell you how they do it better. Even if your kid is sent with cut up pineapple, cantaloupe, kabana, cheese and no sugary items the know it all parent is there to lecture you on the how there would be much more benefit of sending organic free range. Everyone is entitled to their opinion....but those know it all stuck up PTA do-gooder types get kinda tiresome.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options

Was it organic and GMO free? If no, then you're parents are heathens and that meal a day proves they were awful parents.

I'm appalled.

Definitely not. I believe the PTA meetings resulted in a fisticuffs for this reason.
  • EmmaAiden
    Options
    Yes it's not the perfect lunch but it's something....There's so many that have nothing. Maybe she can trade for something healthy.
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I almost sent my kid to school with a ham sandwich on moldy bread this morning. That would have been awesome.

Surely mold has some value??
    Antibiotics.

QFT.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options

I'm appalled.

Definitely not. I believe the PTA meetings resulted in a fisticuffs for this reason.
    +50 for fisticuffs.
  • Achrya
    Options

I'm appalled.

My mom used to pack me 'healthy lunches'. Sadly the only fisticuffs that broke out were between me and other kids when I tried to steal their fruit snacks/force them to trade my carrot sticks for something edible.

I'm 25 and I still won't eat carrots. Thanks mom.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    My kid gets a sandwich, a fruit or veg and some pretzels or crackers with cheese, on top of it I send a miniature Twix and fish oil. Sometimes he brings everything back, sometimes it's all gone but I won't send a totally crappy lunch or a super healthy lunch I know he won't eat. He's a growing boy and he needs protein and a few fruits and veg won't hurt. On Friday he has pizza day and juice. I feel like sending a totally healthy lunch sends just as wrong a message as a totally crappy one. I'm trying to foster a healthy relationship with food, which means portions and balance. He can eat or not eat, we never force him to clean his plate or anythig like that. If he's hungry later his options are leftovers that he didn't eat at dinner.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    1) candy is a treat not a lunch, I don't understand how someone can eat that and be full the rest of the day.
    2) I'll judge with you, and those that don't like it I'll judge them too.
    4) (because I'm sure 3 would have just been *****y) I packed my son chocolate covered waffers one day for snack on waffer day because I always forget that means "vanilla waffers" and I pack cream waffers (I don't pick the menu I just mimic it in the gluten free version) and they had chocolate milk, the teacher asked that I not do that anymore because he was bouncing off the walls. If sugar likewise effects this child then they are bound to have serious in class attention and disruptive issues. If she's constantly being corrected because of this it will have long term impacts on her view of school.
    5) judge
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    JusttwokittenssnugglingandyawningNotabigdeal-87297.gif

You know, if I didn't know better I would swear these were my kittens, Percy and Oscar. We had put down a blanket just like that one for them.
  • JerseyGirlinTN
    JerseyGirlinTN Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Okay, I'm throwing in my 2 cents from an entirely different point of view.

I work in a school in the inner city and many of our families are very poor. We frequently have children coming to school with lunches that are packed with unhealthy items purchased at the dollar store. The grocery stores in the area rarely have the high quality fruits and vegetables that you would find in the middle class areas. Parents also have to buy as much as they can with what they have, and make it last as long as possible; fruits and vegetables don't often fall in this category because they go bad quickly.

This isn't a judgement or opinion, this is a fact. And the children suffer.

Please don't judge; see if there's a way to help instead. Maybe a child having one nutritious meal will make all the difference in the world to that child.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    Seriously, who the hell eats food they don't like? Do all of these adults go around choking down food they think is nasty just because? ...Wait, forgot where I was.

I love you! :drinker:
This discussion has been closed.