I'm kind of appalled...

Options
odusgolp
odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
Today was my first day volunteering in my son's cafeteria for lunch. I'm just there to help open containers, pick up spills, fetch the forgotten salt & ketchup, etc... This is a small private school where hot lunch is made by the women at church, generally not too shabby as far as nutrition goes, and a whopping $1.75.

Todays hot lunch was chicken breast sandwich, corn, applesauce, and dessert with milk.

One little girl's lunch (her zipper was stuck, so I opened it), was Applesauce, Dora Fruit Snacks, M&Ms, and a purple drink thingy. She's five. Pick up your game mom & dad and give your child some real food. If the child is packing their own lunch, they shouldn't be... There's a very off chance the child swapped lunch stuff, so I asked the teacher and she said it's like that daily.

I just judged. Yup. Sure did. Give your kid some real food.

Replies

• marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Sounds like she's carb loading for a race tomorrow? Poor thing...
  • Carissa145
    Carissa145 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    So true!
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    DOH.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    You're so judgmental. HOW DARE YOU?
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    her lunch was also much more than 1.75....

so yeah. Parent fail there.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I almost sent my kid to school with a ham sandwich on moldy bread this morning. That would have been awesome.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    No protein?
  • candacet36
    candacet36 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    and that is why American children are obese. So sad! I would do anything for my kids and not killing them with food is first on the list!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Yikes! I mean, a PB&J would work fine. That is ridiculos and I'm all about people doing what they want. I judge, too.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    I almost sent my kid to school with a ham sandwich on moldy bread this morning. That would have been awesome.

Surely mold has some value??
  • IanBee93
    IanBee93 Posts: 237
    Options
    Stop worrying about what people do with THEIR kids. I hate when people shove their unwanted noses in other people's business. If a kid wants to have a purple drink, let them. -.-
  • odusgolp
    Options
    No protein?

I don't know how she'll make it through her workout...
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Surely mold has some value??
    Antibiotics.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    Sounds like how my kid would make his lunch. That's why I make it. PB&J, granola bar, actual fruit, fruit snacks, juice box. Could be better, but it's good enough.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    Stop worrying about what people do with THEIR kids. I hate when people shove their unwanted noses in other people's business. If a kid wants to have a purple drink, let them. -.-

Nope. I enjoy having opinions. :flowerforyou:
  • pinkledoodledoo
    pinkledoodledoo Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I know it's no excuse for that kind of lunch to be in a 5 year old's bag but maybe she's a very picky eater and the parents decided that instead of subjecting the entire cafeteria to screaming and hissy fits over a real lunch they'd just give her what she wants at school and make her eat healthy at breakfast & dinner where they're the only ones that have to deal with it.
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Holy sugar, Batman! Eeks. I bet that poor child crashes mid afternoon, if not before then. Yikes.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Maybe the kid eats the sandwich before lunch...
  • odusgolp
    Options
    Sounds like how my kid would make his lunch. That's why I make it. PB&J, granola bar, actual fruit, fruit snacks, juice box. Could be better, but it's good enough.

That's a totally normal kid meal Cap *LOL*
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    No protein?

I don't know how she'll make it through her workout...

She needs it for muscle development. :P
This discussion has been closed.