I'm kind of appalled...

Options

Replies

• fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    Stop worrying about what people do with THEIR kids. I hate when people shove their unwanted noses in other people's business. If a kid wants to have a purple drink, let them. -.-

On the bright side, I'm sure your kid was very cute. Rght OP?
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    Maybe the kid is a stubborn one, and won't eat anything that is good, and was failint to thrive, and the family decided it was better to send junk than to send stuff she wouldn't eat anyway, and have her have no calories?

I've seen that happen before.
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    My daughter just started school, and her lunch box daily consists of the following -

sandwich (either PB&J or meat & cheese)
    yogurt or go-gurt
    applesauce, fruit cup, piece of fruit, or pudding (she mostly chooses the applesauce or fruit)
    juice box or pouch (occasionally she will take money with to get milk instead)
    some form of a snack (snack bag of chips, fruit snack, cookie(s), snack size of candy, etc.)

Her lunch box is for lunch as well as an afternoon snack. Typically if she has something left in her lunchbox, it's a snack item.

Her hot lunch option is $2.65, and the milk is $0.45. I look for items on sale, and involve her in the choices of items. She's a pretty healthy eater overall, so I don't mind letting her have some snack(s).
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    I know it's no excuse for that kind of lunch to be in a 5 year old's bag but maybe she's a very picky eater and the parents decided that instead of subjecting the entire cafeteria to screaming and hissy fits over a real lunch they'd just give her what she wants at school and make her eat healthy at breakfast & dinner where they're the only ones that have to deal with it.

Kind of where my head was at when I read this... I've seen some pretty "questionable" lunches given to kids and while it's easy to just paint mom and dad as *kitten*, the entire story is seldom known.

My question would be, if the teacher or other lady in the lunch room says it is this way all the time (most likely with a puppy dog face or an eye roll) ... has she ever followed up with the parents as to WHY... or did she instead crab to a group on the net about it??? :huh: curious.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    Poor kid, she can't be doing well in school with that kind of food. No nurishment for the body, no nurishment for the brain either...

The brain runs on glucose. Sounds like lots of nourishment for the brain. The body is what's suffering.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Stop worrying about what people do with THEIR kids. I hate when people shove their unwanted noses in other people's business. If a kid wants to have a purple drink, let them. -.-

On the bright side, I'm sure your kid was very cute. Rght OP?

He was embarrassed of my existence, naturally *LOL*
  • FrauHaas2013
    FrauHaas2013 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    When my daughter went to a private elementary school, they actually stressed health and nutrition and it was their policy to inspect lunches to make sure each child had an appropriate lunch if they weren't purchasing one.
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    her lunch was also much more than 1.75....

so yeah. Parent fail there.

Have to agree with this!
  • odusgolp
    Options
    I know it's no excuse for that kind of lunch to be in a 5 year old's bag but maybe she's a very picky eater and the parents decided that instead of subjecting the entire cafeteria to screaming and hissy fits over a real lunch they'd just give her what she wants at school and make her eat healthy at breakfast & dinner where they're the only ones that have to deal with it.

Kind of where my head was at when I read this... I've seen some pretty "questionable" lunches given to kids and while it's easy to just paint mom and dad as *kitten*, the entire story is seldom known.

My question would be, if the teacher or other lady in the lunch room says it is this way all the time (most likely with a puppy dog face or an eye roll) ... has she ever followed up with the parents as to WHY... or did she instead crab to a group on the net about it??? :huh: curious.

No, it's not my business to follow up with this kid's parents as to why her lunch is like this. It's my place to chat on the internet and make conversation about M&Ms and Dora Snacks :)
  • favoritenut
    favoritenut Posts: 217 Member
    Options

my thoughts, I'd send my kids with sand which, fruit, a treat and a 100% juicy juice box, and the sand which would get stuffed back in their backpack until the end of the week...wasn't very pleasant to find, and plus I hate waste...so I ended up just not packing the sand which and sent the fruit snack and treat and juice...but they ate a good breakfast, and supper. So as I a parent, I just learned to pick my battles...
  • ChristineinMA
    ChristineinMA Posts: 312 Member
    Options

You can't figure out how to change your gender that you erroneously put on your profile. Your opinion is not valid here.

That is way too funny!
  • Crusader_82
    Options
    Some kids on the autism spectrum (mine included) have a real aversion to certain foods because of texture, color, or looks. My kid just started eating Lunchables this year. Yeah, they’re loaded with sodium; but I actually teared up a little seeing him eat something besides a jelly sandwich for lunch. His food choices would make most people here cringe and shake their finger at me, but believe me; it’s a struggle to get him to eat new things. He won’t eat pizza, ice cream, or chips; so it’s not just healthy foods he won’t eat either.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options

Everyone knows that red drink is far superior. Right? Back me up on this Rock...
  • brandyla78
    Options
    should have never given her that junk to begin with then she wouldn't be a "picky eater" picking terrible things to eat. Ridiculous.
  • IanBee93
    IanBee93 Posts: 237
    Options

Go have a kid or two, then come back and try to sit at the grown up table. Until then, OP is dead on right.

No she/he is not, they' can't mind their own business. If I had a kid I would give them a sandwich and a snack. If I saw some other kid with junk food I'd mind my own business, assuming they might have a proper breakfast/dinner at home?? Pretty sure you made mistakes before so stop acting all high and mighty. Isn't that why you're even on this site? >.>
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I shudder to think what my DD's lunch would look like if we left it to her.

I hope that she had simply already eaten other parts of her lunch for a snack - like the fruit snacks could have been intended for her "snack" but she choose to eat her sandwich and an apple at snack time, maybe?

It is sad to see when kids get less than nutritious lunches from home, especially since the school option is cheaper in this instance.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    should have never given her that junk to begin with then she wouldn't be a "picky eater" picking terrible things to eat. Ridiculous.
    Spoken by someone who has never truly known or been a picky eater.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    Holy Batwings! Her last teacher must have so much fun with hyper sugar child. Zoiks!
  • odusgolp
    Options
    Some kids on the autism spectrum (mine included) have a real aversion to certain foods because of texture, color, or looks. My kid just started eating Lunchables this year. Yeah, they’re loaded with sodium; but I actually teared up a little seeing him eat something besides a jelly sandwich for lunch. His food choices would make most people here cringe and shake their finger at me, but believe me; it’s a struggle to get him to eat new things. He won’t eat pizza, ice cream, or chips; so it’s not just healthy foods he won’t eat either.

That's totally different and understandable... you do what you have to do as a parent, and you decide what's best for your kids.

Who knows? Maybe the girl ate other items in her bag before school. (I'd question breakfast then, but whatever). Maybe she's a breakfast and dinner only kid and the parents give up that lunch battle. There could be many things going on here (short of a disability). But I stand by the $1.75 hot lunch *LOL*
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options

No, it's not my business to follow up with this kid's parents as to why her lunch is like this. It's my place to chat on the internet and make conversation about M&Ms and Dora Snacks :)

:laugh: :laugh: Well then I'd say everyone's doing a GREAT job! :drinker: Carry on! :wink:
This discussion has been closed.