Replies

• ToFatT0B3S1ck
    ToFatT0B3S1ck Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Feels like high school to me.
  • IanBee93
    IanBee93 Posts: 237
    Options
    Why is there so much anger in here? Stop for a minute. Yes, we all know kids like to eat garbage food, but if that is what the kid was getting regularly even my 7 year old would bring it up to me. He'd probably even ask her why she doesn't eat any healthy food. It is OUR responsibility to teach our children how to eat! How will this child eat when she grows up? Hmmm? Probably not going to make the immediate switch to lean proteins and vegetables when she heads off to college.

It's your responsibility for your own kid. Christ sake. ''Why you never eat anything healthy''? Do you even know how insulting that sounds? You teach your kids to say things like that? Shame on you. Also a lot of people I know in college ate like normal people growing up, and then ate junk food and gained weight when they lived on their own. So not everything is black and white.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    It's possible there was a sandwich or something of more nutritional value and it was eaten at snack time. My son used to get hungry at snack and eat some, if not all, of his lunch. I wonder what they said about me when my son would sit there with no lunch. :(

There is no snack time, but as it was pointed out, she could have eaten something before school. Very true and a very valid argument.
  • homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    So what you're saying us you're opinionated?

Was the child obese? If not, then keep it to yourself. YOU ARE NOT THE PERFECT PARENT

Oh, you are SO wrong there... I am, in fact, flawless.

Hey, why is one boob higher than the other?
  • odusgolp
    Options
    Oh, excuse me. The OP just opened the kid's lunch and then proceeded to gossip with the lunch ladies about it. You think the kid didn't notice?

The child was no where near when I asked the teacher later if that was normal. I seriously think you're delving into your own personal issues here and imagining a scenario that didn't happen.

You asked the teacher if this child's lunch is "normal"? Who the hell are you to ask a teacher about another child? If I was this poor child's mother you and i would have serious issues. Who are you to judge another parent or to discuss it with the teacher? I am appalled by YOUR actions. Disgusting.

Good for you :)
  • joyincincy
    joyincincy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I know it's no excuse for that kind of lunch to be in a 5 year old's bag but maybe she's a very picky eater and the parents decided that instead of subjecting the entire cafeteria to screaming and hissy fits over a real lunch they'd just give her what she wants at school and make her eat healthy at breakfast & dinner where they're the only ones that have to deal with it.

Yeah, right. Those parents are not dealing with it at home. :laugh:
  • odusgolp
    Options

Was the child obese? If not, then keep it to yourself. YOU ARE NOT THE PERFECT PARENT

Hey, why is one boob higher than the other?

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Maybe they didn't know!?
  • IanBee93
    IanBee93 Posts: 237
    Options
    I'm a picky eater and all of you are hypocrites, and pissing me off :explode:
  • ToFatT0B3S1ck
    ToFatT0B3S1ck Posts: 194 Member
    Options

Flawless and yet on a weight loss website ;)
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Oh, excuse me. The OP just opened the kid's lunch and then proceeded to gossip with the lunch ladies about it. You think the kid didn't notice?

The child was no where near when I asked the teacher later if that was normal. I seriously think you're delving into your own personal issues here and imagining a scenario that didn't happen.

Have fun feeling superior for judging a family that you don't know and exposing the child to embarrassment.

I'm sorry, it seems that you've had a bit of a reading comprehension fail. I've bolded the parts you seemed to have had trouble with in the hopes that you understand better.

Beat me to it...

EXACTLY what I was going to say...thanks Ariel! :flowerforyou:

MFP has taught me well that judging others is *never* acceptable...

...unless those "others" are judging others, and then it's completely fine...admirable, even.

(Likewise, body shaming is *never* acceptable...

...unless the target is "fit" people.)
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    I feel really bad for the kid - asking her about it was probably embarrassing, or it's going to be so when she is older and remembers that an adult questioned her about her lunch. I used to get that a lot from the school volunteers and lunch ladies when I was a kid and my lunch would consist of a piece of bread, a bag of candy, and a Diet Coke. My parents were neglectful and we never had food. That my parents packed that food was bad enough, but I didn't need the judgement of some random adult in the school.

If you have a problem with the kid's lunch, ask the parents. Not the kid. The kid doesn't need that.

I am sorry that you were neglected as a child. But no, I didn't say a single word to the kid or any other kids. She asked me to try the chicken so I gave her half of it and that was that.

Seriously, you think the kid couldn't read your expression? You think she didn't notice you talking to the other adults about it? Kids aren't stupid.

So... she should have avoided looking at the lunch bag she was opening, so that she wouldn't think about the contents of the lunch... so that she would be completely expressionless... and then she should have avoided talking to any adults after talking to the child...

...and that would have avoided embarrassing or traumatizing the kid?

Great solution.
  • aschroeder2749
    aschroeder2749 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    The issue is, there's no main food. It's just fruit snacks, apple sauce, and a sugary drink. Yes, I'm going to judge. Chances are, whoever packed that lunch doesn't care anyway what people think. Including what teachers think at her child's school. There should have been protein of some sort - peanut butter, lunchmeat, SOMETHING.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    should have never given her that junk to begin with then she wouldn't be a "picky eater" picking terrible things to eat. Ridiculous.
    Spoken by someone who has never truly known or been a picky eater.

SPOKEN by someone who was raised to eat it or be hungry. Guess what...I may not have liked it but as long as I was hungry I would eat it or just stay hungry. I don't bring that junk home for my kids...if they are hungry they will eat what we have...and it's not junk food. It's time for parents to be about parenting....can you HONESTLY say you'd feed your children M&M's and crap food KNOWING the results of that lifestyle can seriously harm them rather than "fight the battle" of buying good nourishing foods and them growing up on healthy stuff. 95% of the time how/what children will or won't eat is learned. Yes I am aware of allergies and behavioral issues that cause some children to not tolerate certain foods but if you didn't ever feed her M&M's I'd be willing to bet she would have eaten something else.
    Everything in moderation is ok. My kids are allowed junk food on Friday night movie night, my sister never allows her kids junk food. When her boys get it they over indulge, mine never over indulge. Maybe there is something to be said about everything in moderation eh? Just my opinion.
    It's kind of funny that someone thinks if she doesn't give her kid M&Ms her kid will never get M&Ms.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    Poor kid, she can't be doing well in school with that kind of food. No nurishment for the body, no nurishment for the brain either...

The brain runs on glucose. Sounds like lots of nourishment for the brain. The body is what's suffering.

Oh, so is that why you have a high then a crash when you have nothing but sugar for a snack? You can't tell me that that kid can focus after she has crashed...

I don't. I do when I eat a high carb lunch, but that's a different story. The brain still runs on strictly glucose. There is nourishment. It's your endocrine system that is messing you up when you have this problem.
  • odusgolp
    Options

Flawless and yet on a weight loss website ;)

1. This isn't a weight loss website.
    2. Your sarcasm meter is broken.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    53910-Dave-Chappelle-gif-jCYp.gif
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

You asked the teacher if this child's lunch is "normal"? Who the hell are you to ask a teacher about another child? If I was this poor child's mother you and i would have serious issues. Who are you to judge another parent or to discuss it with the teacher? I am appalled by YOUR actions. Disgusting.

Throughout this thread the irony has just been monumental. It's downright comical how many posters are judging the OP for judging someone else.

I love people.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Being Judged, sometimes make people make better choices ! The problem today is that we don't judge enough!

Only if they know it's an issue.... people talking behind other peoples' backs solve NOTHING. Bringing it to the parents' attention, or asking questions of HOW TO HELP the situation is what gets things solved.

Huh? Awareness and discussion are not part of the solution process??? Egads. What an incredibly simplistic world in which you must live.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    should have never given her that junk to begin with then she wouldn't be a "picky eater" picking terrible things to eat. Ridiculous.
    Spoken by someone who has never truly known or been a picky eater.

SPOKEN by someone who was raised to eat it or be hungry. Guess what...I may not have liked it but as long as I was hungry I would eat it or just stay hungry. I don't bring that junk home for my kids...if they are hungry they will eat what we have...and it's not junk food. It's time for parents to be about parenting....can you HONESTLY say you'd feed your children M&M's and crap food KNOWING the results of that lifestyle can seriously harm them rather than "fight the battle" of buying good nourishing foods and them growing up on healthy stuff. 95% of the time how/what children will or won't eat is learned. Yes I am aware of allergies and behavioral issues that cause some children to not tolerate certain foods but if you didn't ever feed her M&M's I'd be willing to bet she would have eaten something else.
    And, again, you have NO IDEA.

I was a very picky eater. I would go days without eating if it was between that or eating something I didn't like.

In fact, my parents were vegetarians when I was born and they had to start eating meat again because I would starve myself rather than eat the vegetarian meals.

thank you for proving my point...they started eating meat again...not junk food....
    I did not proove your point. I pointed out that a truly, truly, TRULY picky eater will not eat someothing he or she does not like rather than go hungry. I never -- even still -- had a problem with feeling hungry. I actually quite like the feeling of hunger.
  • homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Today was my first day volunteering in my son's cafeteria for lunch. I'm just there to help open containers, pick up spills, fetch the forgotten salt & ketchup, etc... This is a small private school where hot lunch is made by the women at church, generally not too shabby as far as nutrition goes, and a whopping $1.75.

Todays hot lunch was chicken breast sandwich, corn, applesauce, and dessert with milk.

One little girl's lunch (her zipper was stuck, so I opened it), was Applesauce, Dora Fruit Snacks, M&Ms, and a purple drink thingy. She's five. Pick up your game mom & dad and give your child some real food. If the child is packing their own lunch, they shouldn't be... There's a very off chance the child swapped lunch stuff, so I asked the teacher and she said it's like that daily.

I just judged. Yup. Sure did. Give your kid some real food.

just curious do you have kids? What is the proper lunch for kids? how do you accomplish it on a budget? Just curious

None of that stuff is cheaper than a peanut butter sammich......

Oh, and I have 3, since you asked.

Sammich's....not kids. Eww.
This discussion has been closed.