I'm kind of appalled...

Options

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Stop worrying about what people do with THEIR kids. I hate when people shove their unwanted noses in other people's business. If a kid wants to have a purple drink, let them. -.-

Wait.

Is this purple drink, or purple drank?

ETA: Dammit, ACG! I was too slow.

My lunch for the entirety of my grade school years was a butter and jelly sandwich w/ a small bag of chips/cookies/carrots. (I hated (and still hate) peanut butter.)

Obviously, my mom hated me.

ETA: Having now caught up on the rest of the thread, I guess I need to share that I graduated 4th in my class. Not sure how/if that's relevant, but apparently it is/might be.
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    Didn't have to read any of this to realize....
    Anchorman_well_that_escalated_quickly_966.jpg \m/
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Alright. I think it's time for the dance party and more cowbell.

Or Judge Judy. Is the Judge on??
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I feel really bad for the kid - asking her about it was probably embarrassing, or it's going to be so when she is older and remembers that an adult questioned her about her lunch. I used to get that a lot from the school volunteers and lunch ladies when I was a kid and my lunch would consist of a piece of bread, a bag of candy, and a Diet Coke. My parents were neglectful and we never had food. That my parents packed that food was bad enough, but I didn't need the judgement of some random adult in the school.

If you have a problem with the kid's lunch, ask the parents. Not the kid. The kid doesn't need that.

OH NOES poor kid got embarrased, how awful! /sarc
  • odusgolp
    Options
    Stop worrying about what people do with THEIR kids. I hate when people shove their unwanted noses in other people's business. If a kid wants to have a purple drink, let them. -.-

Wait.

Is this purple drink, or purple drank?

ETA: Dammit, ACG! I was too slow.

My lunch for the entirety of my grade school years was a butter and jelly sandwich w/ a small bag of chips/cookies/carrots. (I hated (and still hate) peanut butter.)

Obviously, my mom hated me.

ACG, you did rock that one :)
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I know it's no excuse for that kind of lunch to be in a 5 year old's bag but maybe she's a very picky eater and the parents decided that instead of subjecting the entire cafeteria to screaming and hissy fits over a real lunch they'd just give her what she wants at school and make her eat healthy at breakfast & dinner where they're the only ones that have to deal with it.
    This. It's not healthy, but it's better than nothing. And if you don't know what's going on at home, you shouldn't judge.
  • FitCanuckChick
    FitCanuckChick Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I almost sent my kid to school with a ham sandwich on moldy bread this morning. That would have been awesome.

Surely mold has some value??
    Antibiotics.
    Blue cheese
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Oh, excuse me. The OP just opened the kid's lunch and then proceeded to gossip with the lunch ladies about it. You think the kid didn't notice?

The child was no where near when I asked the teacher later if that was normal. I seriously think you're delving into your own personal issues here and imagining a scenario that didn't happen.

Have fun feeling superior for judging a family that you don't know and exposing the child to embarrassment.

I'm sorry, it seems that you've had a bit of a reading comprehension fail. I've bolded the parts you seemed to have had trouble with in the hopes that you understand better.

Beat me to it...

EXACTLY what I was going to say...thanks Ariel! :flowerforyou:
  • brandyla78
    Options
    should have never given her that junk to begin with then she wouldn't be a "picky eater" picking terrible things to eat. Ridiculous.
    Spoken by someone who has never truly known or been a picky eater.

SPOKEN by someone who was raised to eat it or be hungry. Guess what...I may not have liked it but as long as I was hungry I would eat it or just stay hungry. I don't bring that junk home for my kids...if they are hungry they will eat what we have...and it's not junk food. It's time for parents to be about parenting....can you HONESTLY say you'd feed your children M&M's and crap food KNOWING the results of that lifestyle can seriously harm them rather than "fight the battle" of buying good nourishing foods and them growing up on healthy stuff. 95% of the time how/what children will or won't eat is learned. Yes I am aware of allergies and behavioral issues that cause some children to not tolerate certain foods but if you didn't ever feed her M&M's I'd be willing to bet she would have eaten something else.
    And, again, you have NO IDEA.

I was a very picky eater. I would go days without eating if it was between that or eating something I didn't like.

In fact, my parents were vegetarians when I was born and they had to start eating meat again because I would starve myself rather than eat the vegetarian meals.

/quote]

thank you for proving my point...they started eating meat again...not junk food....
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    Oh, excuse me. The OP just opened the kid's lunch and then proceeded to gossip with the lunch ladies about it. You think the kid didn't notice?

The child was no where near when I asked the teacher later if that was normal. I seriously think you're delving into your own personal issues here and imagining a scenario that didn't happen.

Have fun feeling superior for judging a family that you don't know and exposing the child to embarrassment.

Wait...are you basing your argument on the parents maybe not being able to afford to send something better with the kid?

or what...

its a CRAP lunch. now if it was a crap lunch that was CHEAPER than the hot lunch meal offered through the school. then sure....OP is harsh...but the CRAP lunch is actually MORE expensive.

and OP didn't say anything to the kid, I'm sure the OP knows how to be discreet...

PLUS the kid ASKED the OP if she could try the chicken...and OP obliged...

suggesting the kid is hungry for more than her CRAP lunch too.

so uhhh....you ok there? you seem to be imagining more here than what is happening...projecting your own life on the scenario isn't going to help your reading comprehension.
  • blakeevan04
    blakeevan04 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with you, you never know the whole story and that is why I try not to judge ( especially now that I have kids!) We had to work so hard to get my oldest child to eat and gain weight ( sensory issues, etc.) He is now 9 and thriving!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Why is there so much anger in here? Stop for a minute. Yes, we all know kids like to eat garbage food, but if that is what the kid was getting regularly even my 7 year old would bring it up to me. He'd probably even ask her why she doesn't eat any healthy food. It is OUR responsibility to teach our children how to eat! How will this child eat when she grows up? Hmmm? Probably not going to make the immediate switch to lean proteins and vegetables when she heads off to college.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    should have never given her that junk to begin with then she wouldn't be a "picky eater" picking terrible things to eat. Ridiculous.

I work with aspergers kids and autistic kids, and it has nothing to do with that sometimes. They have an aversion to textures, and certain foods. I watched a scoutmaster get into a battle of wills with an asperger's kis once about eating something other than junk food. Guess who eventually won out on that one.

My youngest is picky like this. More oftren than not, he will choose to go hungry, over eat what is served him. He has been known to skip 3 meals in a row because he doesn't like what's served. He has texture issues, and won't eat anything with ground meat, anything with a sauce/gravy, or anything that is mixed together (i.e. casseroles).
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    Being Judged, sometimes make people make better choices ! The problem today is that we don't judge enough!

Only if they know it's an issue.... people talking behind other peoples' backs solve NOTHING. Bringing it to the parents' attention, or asking questions of HOW TO HELP the situation is what gets things solved.
  • homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I feel really bad for the kid - asking her about it was probably embarrassing, or it's going to be so when she is older and remembers that an adult questioned her about her lunch. I used to get that a lot from the school volunteers and lunch ladies when I was a kid and my lunch would consist of a piece of bread, a bag of candy, and a Diet Coke. My parents were neglectful and we never had food. That my parents packed that food was bad enough, but I didn't need the judgement of some random adult in the school.

If you have a problem with the kid's lunch, ask the parents. Not the kid. The kid doesn't need that.

I am sorry that you were neglected as a child. But no, I didn't say a single word to the kid or any other kids. She asked me to try the chicken so I gave her half of it and that was that.

Seriously, you think the kid couldn't read your expression? You think she didn't notice you talking to the other adults about it? Kids aren't stupid.

You clearly have never met my kids.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    So what you're saying us you're opinionated?

Was the child obese? If not, then keep it to yourself. YOU ARE NOT THE PERFECT PARENT
  • TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Today was my first day volunteering in my son's cafeteria for lunch. I'm just there to help open containers, pick up spills, fetch the forgotten salt & ketchup, etc... This is a small private school where hot lunch is made by the women at church, generally not too shabby as far as nutrition goes, and a whopping $1.75.

Todays hot lunch was chicken breast sandwich, corn, applesauce, and dessert with milk.

One little girl's lunch (her zipper was stuck, so I opened it), was Applesauce, Dora Fruit Snacks, M&Ms, and a purple drink thingy. She's five. Pick up your game mom & dad and give your child some real food. If the child is packing their own lunch, they shouldn't be... There's a very off chance the child swapped lunch stuff, so I asked the teacher and she said it's like that daily.

I just judged. Yup. Sure did. Give your kid some real food.

just curious do you have kids? What is the proper lunch for kids? how do you accomplish it on a budget? Just curious
  • odusgolp
    Options
    So what you're saying us you're opinionated?

Was the child obese? If not, then keep it to yourself. YOU ARE NOT THE PERFECT PARENT

Oh, you are SO wrong there... I am, in fact, flawless.
  • kaseymei
    kaseymei Posts: 164
    Options
    It's possible there was a sandwich or something of more nutritional value and it was eaten at snack time. My son used to get hungry at snack and eat some, if not all, of his lunch. I wonder what they said about me when my son would sit there with no lunch. :(
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I know it's no excuse for that kind of lunch to be in a 5 year old's bag but maybe she's a very picky eater and the parents decided that instead of subjecting the entire cafeteria to screaming and hissy fits over a real lunch they'd just give her what she wants at school and make her eat healthy at breakfast & dinner where they're the only ones that have to deal with it.

Nice try....... but doubtful at best.
This discussion has been closed.