I'm kind of appalled...

Options

Replies

• odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Did anyone else notice that my opinion on a Dora Fruit Snack & M&M lunch is more controversial than assisted suicide?

I love you MFP. I love you long time.

anigif_canadaday.gif
  • Crusader_82
    Options
    I went fishing for crazy today.

Successful expedition! You hooked a boatload of angries!!

**sits back to enjoy his Pixie Sticks, Pop Rocks and 2 liter of Mountain Dew**
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    what's even harder...

my school has a...

no peanut
    no fish
    no egg

allergy policy

my kids LOVE tuna salad. NOPE
    my kids LOVE egg salad. NOPE

thank goodness they don't love peanut butter.

I would not be able to survive in such an atmosphere... I've eaten all three of those things and it's not even dinner time yet.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    There is a serious lack of critical thinking here today.

Uh huh. It's because they didn't have their fruit snacks or kool aid yet.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    We don't know the whole story, neither does the Op. I'll leave it at that. :bigsmile:
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Did anyone else notice that my opinion on a Dora Fruit Snack & M&M lunch is more controversial than assisted suicide?

I love you MFP. I love you long time.

anigif_canadaday.gif

I noticed that too.

Good 'ol MFP
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options

Looks like you took in quite a haul.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

Clearly they need an all Twinkie diet.
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options

And you caught it. So much you could freaking cook it for dinner. Is crazy healthy and is it served in bag lunches?

I was thinking I'd steam it and skip the salt to healthify it??

Oh, that sounds delicious. How about adding a nice balsamic glaze?

In for the glaze!!
  • odusgolp
    Options
    what's even harder...

my school has a...

no peanut
    no fish
    no egg

allergy policy

my kids LOVE tuna salad. NOPE
    my kids LOVE egg salad. NOPE

thank goodness they don't love peanut butter.

My son asked me not to pack him peanut butter in 1st grade because his friend was allergic and he wouldn't be able to sit with him at lunch. ;) Love that.
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options

Sorry but I never drink the Kool Aid
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Today was my first day volunteering in my son's cafeteria for lunch. I'm just there to help open containers, pick up spills, fetch the forgotten salt & ketchup, etc... This is a small private school where hot lunch is made by the women at church, generally not too shabby as far as nutrition goes, and a whopping $1.75.

Todays hot lunch was chicken breast sandwich, corn, applesauce, and dessert with milk.

One little girl's lunch (her zipper was stuck, so I opened it), was Applesauce, Dora Fruit Snacks, M&Ms, and a purple drink thingy. She's five. Pick up your game mom & dad and give your child some real food. If the child is packing their own lunch, they shouldn't be... There's a very off chance the child swapped lunch stuff, so I asked the teacher and she said it's like that daily.

I just judged. Yup. Sure did. Give your kid some real food.

Someone probably already said this (I didn't read all the pages).....but just in case, I'm going to say it again:

You've been there one day and you're already judging these other parents? How do you know that this day wasn't an anomaly? How do you know anything about this child and her home life? Maybe she chucked the sandwich in the trash can or maybe they ran out of bread and the mom just grabbed what she could. Maybe the kid is a picky eater and eating something is better than nothing. Maybe she has her "treats" at lunch and eats a nice nutritious breakfast and dinner. Maybe mom gets paid today and gave her daughter the last of what they had before she could get to the store.

There are a whole lot of things here that you don't know and I would suggest that you stop jumping to conclusions about other people without knowing anything about their circumstances.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Today was my first day volunteering in my son's cafeteria for lunch. I'm just there to help open containers, pick up spills, fetch the forgotten salt & ketchup, etc... This is a small private school where hot lunch is made by the women at church, generally not too shabby as far as nutrition goes, and a whopping $1.75.

Todays hot lunch was chicken breast sandwich, corn, applesauce, and dessert with milk.

One little girl's lunch (her zipper was stuck, so I opened it), was Applesauce, Dora Fruit Snacks, M&Ms, and a purple drink thingy. She's five. Pick up your game mom & dad and give your child some real food. If the child is packing their own lunch, they shouldn't be... There's a very off chance the child swapped lunch stuff, so I asked the teacher and she said it's like that daily.

Wow, that's cheap! School lunches in the UK are at least twice the price!

My son has just started primary school (he's 4). He has a tuna sandwich and a yogurt for lunch - that's what he asks for. At break time they give them a piece of fruit. He also takes his water bottle every day. Aside from the health factor, too much sugar will just make a child, especially a young one, hyper and affect how they pay attention and behave.

In England most of our schools have a 'healthy schools' policy and kids aren't allowed to eat sweets and chocolate.

I teach in a secondary school and we don't have vending machines or anything. The school canteen could probably be healthier, and kids can buy biscuits (cookies to you in the USA) and muffins sometimes, but that's it for sweet stuff.
  • MB_Positif
    Options

Clearly they need an all Twinkie diet.

Yes, with a nice balsamic glaze.
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options

Someone probably already said this (I didn't read all the pages).....but just in case, I'm going to say it again:

You've been there one day and you're already judging these other parents? How do you know that this day wasn't an anomaly? How do you know anything about this child and her home life? Maybe she chucked the sandwich in the trash can or maybe they ran out of bread and the mom just grabbed what she could. Maybe the kid is a picky eater and eating something is better than nothing. Maybe she has her "treats" at lunch and eats a nice nutritious breakfast and dinner. Maybe mom gets paid today and gave her daughter the last of what they had before she could get to the store.

There are a whole lot of things here that you don't know and I would suggest that you stop jumping to conclusions about other people without knowing anything about their circumstances.

Because if you actually read the post the OP said that she asked the teacher and the teacher said this is how her lunch is daily.

Which makes me wonder why the teacher hasn't had a talk with the parent? Or perhaps she did and just didn't feel that the parents situation was something she should talk about with a stranger.
  • odusgolp
    Options

All of this was pointed out long ago and discussed. We've all decided it's time to dance now.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    Poor kid, she can't be doing well in school with that kind of food. No nurishment for the body, no nurishment for the brain either...

The brain runs on glucose. Sounds like lots of nourishment for the brain. The body is what's suffering.

Oh, so is that why you have a high then a crash when you have nothing but sugar for a snack? You can't tell me that that kid can focus after she has crashed...

I don't. I do when I eat a high carb lunch, but that's a different story. The brain still runs on strictly glucose. There is nourishment. It's your endocrine system that is messing you up when you have this problem.

Okie dokie... You got me. Since that is the case, I will now be packing my kids stricktly twinkies and ding dongs so they can be really really smart... :flowerforyou: :drinker:

I never said to pack your kids twinkies and such. I just pointed out that the brain would not be starving based on what the kid had for her lunch. Way to go way beyond and read more into it. I have known plenty of kids who survive and do well academically on crappy sugary diets. They just fail to thrive.

SMDH

And a high level of emotion.
  • MB_Positif
    Options
    All of this was pointed out long ago and discussed. We've all decided it's time to dance now.

Country girl, shake it for me...

:drinker:
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I bet the kids mom was Goldie Hawn in Overboard.

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart

Twins..Oh Twins!!!

Seriously, that is my family's movie. Everyone from my dad to my 6 year old son can recite every line of that movie.
This discussion has been closed.